[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Subtlety in Cartoons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Gem_Glow-_I_get_a_shield!.png (852 KB, 1279x720) Image search: [Google]
Gem_Glow-_I_get_a_shield!.png
852 KB, 1279x720
I don't know if this has been talked about before, perhaps this is common knowledge, but I always thought this was really neat.

>Steven's gem is his navel.
>The navel being the literal physical connection to one's mother.
>Steven's gem is his core connection to his mother.

What other examples of really subtle but cool things are there in cartoons?
>>
Really that's disgusting man, why does su insist on being disgusting

Also, it was subtle when cheese sandwich was weird al
>>
>>81521385
The moment SU told the audience that Garnet was a fusion was when she opened the door to her room by activating the blue and red gems on the door with both her hands.
This was a scene in the background for like five seconds, I think.
>>
File: Taspestry.png (857 KB, 613x1176) Image search: [Google]
Taspestry.png
857 KB, 613x1176
>>81521385
>>
The episode where Garnet's third eye is revealed is the episode directly after where we learn about fusion.
>>
>>81521873
I don't see it.
>>
>>81523212
>Blowjob incoming
That's literally it.
>>
>>81521385
There's another subtle moment of foreshadowing in that episode.
Cookie Cats origins are practically identical to the crystal gems, they're refugees from an interstellar war who left their family (species) behind
then in the episode future vision, he imagines cookie cat being evil and coming down in a space ship to shoot him with a laser
a few episodes later evil gems come down in a space ship to shoot him with a laser
>>
File: indirect kiss.png (611 KB, 1364x748) Image search: [Google]
indirect kiss.png
611 KB, 1364x748
In Connie's first two appearances she's jealous of how exiting Steven's life is compared to hers, and it seems like she doesn't really seem relate to him on a human level. But in an Indirect kiss after listening to his story she starts to think of him as a real person, and says that she would still like him even if he didn't have magic powers.
and intimidate afterwards she can see clearly for the first time in her life
and she no longer sees him though rose-tinted glasses
>>
If this is what you guys consider "subtle" no wonder you think SU is well-written.
>>
>>81525961
>when you spell it out with all implications and no context, as opposed to an ongoing motive or subplot running in parallel to the plot, then it's just glaringly obvious.

No shit, Sherlock!
>>
>>81523125
actually it was directly before
>>
File: subtly.gif (986 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
subtly.gif
986 KB, 300x169
>>81521385
>>
>>81521621
Garnet being a fusion, and the exact implications of her being a fusion, are laid out all over the place up until The Return.

Her reaction to Steven and Connie fusing was part of what made it feel as intimate as it did, since before then Fusion was just battle magic bullshit. Garnet is the first character to imply that it means something more.
>>
>>81525961
If you don't think that its a good example then perhaps you could provide us with a better example of subtlety in cartoons anon.
>>
File: 1419841120372.gif (1 MB, 300x208) Image search: [Google]
1419841120372.gif
1 MB, 300x208
>>81525824
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.