[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that Gravity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: 1449204737015.jpg (262 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1449204737015.jpg
262 KB, 540x960
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that Gravity Falls was a great show and was only a letdown because of fan theories? If anything, that's a testament to how the show was hype as fuck.

I'm tired of seeing shit like pic related trying to bring down Based Alex.
>>
spotted the manlet
>>
the hack meme has always been dumb and irrelevant but the show did have a lot of buildup to different aspects only to sort of fizzle out on all of them

still a great show
>>
what the fuck is the context of this image LOL
>>
My only complaint is the lack of actual mystery shit and the ending, which kind of just killed all the hype I had for it. It started out strong, but that fucking ending.
>>
>>81521212
I agree. Early season 2 I called out the "deepest lore" hype on GFG. But no there has to something super deep that the 12yo audience will not get.
But there was no deepest lore so they turned against Alex.
>>
>>81521212
>fan theories ruined Gravity Falls
>Phasma sucked because I thought she'd have a bigger role
>Frozen is bad because its fans are annoying

Why can no one on this site just enjoy something on its own merits? If you're letting its context ruin it for you then you're watching wrong.
>>
>>81522024
>fan theories ruined Gravity Falls
No one says that. The theories turned the fandom sour.
>>
>>81521212
The fans are butthurt because GF turned out to be another kid's show, not the bringer of more adult cartoons like they thought.

Alex still a shit.
>>
>>81521212
I watched the show and enjoyed it. I never had any idea what the "fan theories" were because I don't have a tumblr. I have no specific opinions about Alex Hirsch.
>>
>>81521520
I too want to know.
>>
>>81521212
>Gravity Falls was a great show and was only a letdown because of fan theories

I'll buy this as far as the whole "dark dipper" thing not happening, as that was a big disappointment for me, but fan theories or no, mabel not being called out for causing the end of the world was bullshit.

I'm not saying its her fault, but at the very least it should have been addressed in escape from reality.

That episode put a huge dent in the whole weirdmageddon arc for me.

That and the whole "stan getting his memories back" thing, but thats more of a minor blemish than a real problem.
>>
Alex did a lot of things in the show that seemed like they were going places, not just in a theory kind of way, but in an actual plot in-show implications way.

Then we never saw the shapeshifter froze as Dipper again

Then we never got a fuckton of things followed through on.

Then we sunk to the bottom of the shock factor barrel when it came to the fucking WEIRD APOCOLYPSE. Alex had done so much stuff in the show, it'd be retarded to not expect the same level of quality of things being possible later. The show got actually scary at some parts (obligatory bunker episode callback) but really just sunk.

and fan theories has nothing to do with why people hate Roadside Attraction. Dipper being set up and thrown around through the whole thing and constantly saying "i deserved that" when one of the girls said something semi-rude (or flat out BETRAYAL when he wasn't required to date Candy anyway) was just fucking awful.

The show was good, one of my favorites of all time, nothing in the future will likely surpass it's fun ride I went on through it's existence, nor the characters and dynamics, but blaming the fans for getting too hyped for unconfirmed things is not a valid argument when Alex has done shit like
>24 minute episode per usual 22 minute timeslot
>22 minute episode had a supposed deleted scene that couldn't get put in because "Disney won't let me go a frame over!"
-this doesn't count the AToTS episode, that was a special circumstance, episodes are either 22 minutes or a movie length feature (which were just 2 22 minute episodes back to back anyway). Alex has shown he can go "frames over" to minute -tier extents.

>wanna know some of the big stuff I hinted at? Buy this book!
We aren't required to buy it if we want a finished story, but it's obviously Alex's rushing off why we didn't get more backstory to the fucking town we spent so long in. We don't have to buy it anyway to read it because torrents/story times or whatever, but still.

1/2
>>
>>81521212
the last season was a bit inconsistent IMO, also some episode really made me dislike Mabel at times. Still good though.
>>
>>81523712
and then, as to continue

>all the other times he's blamed disney for something he couldn't pull off or was to lazy to put it, or a sidefactor of him running off

>lied to countless fans about disney renewing the season late as an excuse as to why they have to wait a year, when he was packing his bags for the season finale gideon rises to be the unresolved cliffhanger because he couldn't take the pressure. We have the creator of Over The Garden Wall and his kids to thank for Season 2.

>saying it would be punishment to Dipper and Mabel if Stanford or Stan were killed
this is one of the fucking shittiest excuses I've heard. It is a fair point we wouldn't have gotten a good book end with him being there for a goodbye, or if it was Ford, we wouldn't get the boat scene and resolution, but there's obviously a fucking context we're not seeing to this, if he's actually retarded enough to say Ford dying would be punishment and not because he got in too deep, that's your answer where the show failed.

2/2
>>
>>81521520
>>81523196
It became a meme to call the creator, Alex Hirsch, a hack. It was never funny, and it went too far.
>>
>>81521583
As someone who enjoyed the ending, but thought it could've been better, could you (or anyone who feels compelled to) explain what you didn't like about it? Just genuinely curious/bored/procrastinating on my homework.
>>
>>81521212
Gravity Falls was a great show for what it was.

That said, it never lived up to the hype it promised. They made everything seem more epic and insane than it ever turned out to be.
>>
File: CH4u54QUkAAygEb.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CH4u54QUkAAygEb.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
>>81523839
Take it easy, it's just a cartoon.
>>
>>81524126
I was listing answers and why I thought them, it eliminated many responses of "why do you think that though" and "that's one thing, name more" as 4chan users normally do.

I was typing all that shit with a relaxed vibe.

Good Spongebob reference though.
>>
File: animu25.gif (31 KB, 257x200) Image search: [Google]
animu25.gif
31 KB, 257x200
>>81523839
I never thought of things that way, I thank you for going through the time to post that. It's really lame that the Shapeshifter never showed up again.
>>
It was really good and could have been really great if they'd had another season to flesh some things out properly. A great build up and some things fizzled out. Probably due to lack of time.
>>
>>81524352
>I thank you for going through the time to post that.
Neat, you're welcome man.

Most people on here who talk about the show will come up with false criticisms or blow things out of proportion for the Hack shit, but there's still a fair amount of things he fucked up on, and we have a right to be disappointed in.

Overall, it only disappoints me though, I still love the show and it's character dynamics.
>>
>>81523839
>but there's obviously a fucking context we're not seeing to this, if he's actually retarded enough to say Ford dying would be punishment and not because he got in too deep

To be fair, I think the problem with killing Ford is how entangled he is in Stan's character arc. Considering he had two seasons worth of screen time and was one of the most popular characyers on the show, a lot of people for Grunkle Stan to get a happy ending.

The problem with that is that Stan's entire life goal was to reconnect with his family, specifically Ford, so a "happy ending" for Stan would have to include him achieving this in some form. Killing Ford, while it would be sensible enough conclusion for the character, would not only mean that Stan would never be able to get closure, but would make Stan's 30+ years of effort a complete waste.

That kind of bitter conclusion would be ballsy as fuck, mind you, but it would only really work in the hands of some really good writers.

That said, it's times like this where it's pretty clear that GF most likely would've been better off if they'd stuck with their original plan of 3 seasons.
>>
File: charliesangels.jpg (85 KB, 861x600) Image search: [Google]
charliesangels.jpg
85 KB, 861x600
>>81521212
Sometimes it is hard for people to find the middle ground between "it's terrible" and "it's perfect." Most things have problems and things that could be improved which doesn't make them worthless or even bad.
>>
>Dipper is playing with fire code from one of the first online games

disappoint
>>
>>81529229
Nothing really came of that.
>>
>>81529489
mhm

i wanted to know what it could've meant
>>
>>81521212
It certainly didnt live up to the hype it promised, but it was an alright show. At the end of the damn, im still a 22 yro watching a show for kids on Disney channel. Im an idiot expecting more out of it. Guess ill just go back to watching live action dramas and anime now since there's nothing worth watching as far as american cartoons go.
>>
>>81529840
>it promised
nope it never promised
>>
>>81530875
>all those dropped plot points and retcons
>not promises
Yeah sure thing dude. Alex alone promised atleast 2 seasons and movie but we all know hot that went down.
>>
>>81530875
What about that time Alex "confirmed" a central character would die in the finale and everyone made it out unscathed?
>>
>>81531176
Well, if you want to split hairs, he never specified it would be one of the main characters and a lot of minor characters like the Time Police or one-off characters like Big Henry did indeed die. It did seem like a rather deliberately misleading statement though.
>>
>>81523839
Problem is, they couldn't kill off Ford, because it was established already that the ray gun doesn't even work on him. It had to be Stan, but backing down from it was pure bs.
>>
>>81530977
Yea, with 2 seasons and a TV Movie
>>
>>81531773
Doesn't central sorta imply that the character in question is of some importance?
>>
File: mfwpacificafags.png (84 KB, 365x744) Image search: [Google]
mfwpacificafags.png
84 KB, 365x744
>mfw people project their insecurities onto me
>mfw padippica fags
>>
>Getting hyped for a kids show
>Getting hyped for a kids show with a "mystery" element
>Getting hyped for a kids show with a "mystery" gimmick that the company that legally owns the show don't care about
It's a great show because I knew exactly what I was going to get.
Sure some shows may surprise you, Mystery Inc. had all these things against it like Gravity Falls and still manged to surpass expectations but those are rare occurrences.

Just be glad it's not Adventure Time levels of disappointment.
>>
>>81531176
I thought he said a character would die in season 2 and it was the mayor.
>>
File: hoverhand.jpg (79 KB, 608x1080) Image search: [Google]
hoverhand.jpg
79 KB, 608x1080
Tasteless, spineless, cuckolded liberal douche who rages at twelve year old twitter kids for not sharing his Trump is Hitler absent-minded political views.
>>
>>81532263
>Adventure Time
Talk about wasted potential.
Marceline is best girl and she is criminally underused
>>
>>81532029
Except there was no movie. Just a 45 min special with commercials.
>>
>>81532421
Well she's a lesbian now so there's that
>>
>>81532466
Nothing more than an autistic headcanon. Both Marcy and PB have canonically had boyfriends in the past. Literally nothing in the show has indicated that she's a lesbian.
>>
>>81532713
youve obviously haven't seen any of the recent episodes. Not that I blame you, the show is pretty bad now.
>>
>>81530977
>Alex alone promised atleast 2 seasons and movie
No he didn't. He said 'maybe'.
>>
>>81524126
>IT'S JUST A CARTOON, FOR KIDS, WHERE'S YOURS GOOBERMEISTER?!?

Alex tier response.

His points were solid, if anything, baby gloved.
>>
>>81533186
It was a joke. No need to be so antsy.
>>
>>81532087
But he never specified central. All he said was pic related, which is technically correct.

If you want to argue that the "Buckle up" part was a little vague and misleading, that's certainly fair. But he never said central.
>>
>>81524028
Bill felt like a real, menacing threat to me despite being repetitively defeated. There was tons of warnings about him and he was so hyped as the big bad. The series genuinely had me on the edge of my seat sometimes because I was excited and ready for more. Gideon rises? Turning on the portal, Ford coming back? It was fun and awesome. Sometimes in the series I was genuinely creeped out and felt threat from episodes.

I just didn't get any of that with Weirdmageddon. It felt really wacky and instead of thinking "i wonder whats going to happen next" I was more like, "Uh ok so.. Now what?" I didn't hate it. I just wasn't excited, nothing really wooed me, felt flat, etc. So much was at stake throughout the series, and in the end it just didn't live up to what I feel like it had been foreshadowing.

I'm an unimaginative shit who can't articulate anything for shit though so I'm not really much help in this sorry.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.