[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
itt: /co/ related individuals who are 100% correct >pic very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: johnk.jpg (233 KB, 901x1600) Image search: [Google]
johnk.jpg
233 KB, 901x1600
itt: /co/ related individuals who are 100% correct

>pic very related
>>
But cow and chicken sucked
>>
>>81518829
That was done by dave fiss
>>
Its odd that to this day there are still a number of Spumco alumni actively making cartoons.
The gal that made the recent looney tunes designs, the girl that made the mickey mouse shorts and so on.
>>
File: 90s kid.png (898 KB, 1292x1022) Image search: [Google]
90s kid.png
898 KB, 1292x1022
>>81518829

It was actually pretty well animated. It was a good show.
>>
>>81520254

The dude taught a lot of young animators, you have to give him that. In fact just recently I met an animation professor who's husband worked on Spumco. Say what you want about John K and how wacky he is, but people seem to forget how much he impacted the industry, he was the first to do internet cartoons and laid the foundations for the medium, he and Bakshi kind of started the subversive and creator-driven cartoon craze of the 90s, and everyone seems to use Ren and Stimpy jokes to this day, the disgusting close-ups come to mind.
>>
>>81516257

The problem with John K is that he is a big procrastinator in the animation industry.
>>
>>81520515
>but people seem to forget how much he impacted the industry
>he and Bakshi kind of started the subversive and creator-driven cartoon craze of the 90s

Yeah, apparently he was a key figure in the industry for a while?

Is it true that he kinda guided Fred Seibert into molding MTV, and then Cartoon Network?
>>
He pushed forward the Cartoon Cartoon thing, Nickelodeon and the What-a-cartoon stuff.
>>
File: ren.jpg (180 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
ren.jpg
180 KB, 894x894
>>81516257
Sure, he's a big elitist prick, but I miss him. I wish people made more expressive character designs that aren't just a geometrical shaped head with a smiley face drawn on top of it. That's one thing he's really good at, because of his "no repeated expression" policy. It's a shame his art seems to have devolved into self-parody nowadays.
>>
>>81516257
>pic
The only log he has is a BACKlog.
>>
John K. has a collosal ego. I don't think it's exagerated to say he probably thinks he has ihnerited Bob Clampet's will.

>>81521675
He was also against the very concept of caracter model sheets and was all about letting a storyboarder/animator draw/animate the characters with their style
>>
>Is it true that he kinda guided Fred Seibert into molding MTV, and then Cartoon Network?
Not so sure about MTV, but he did have a hand in molding Cartoon Network. He's also kind of famous i guess. He knows Miley Cyrus, and he was on TMZ and Howard Stern.
>>81521675
How is he an elitist? If you read his blog he constantly beats himself up for starting certain cartoon trends that have not aged well, he has also claimed to have been inspired by younger animators. As for his trademark art, I think its become more of a meme than a parody. EVERY youtube uses it, I wonder how Kricfaulusi feels about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxAJqvslV7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF3R-gE3F8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYa5aQb3YGE
>>
>>81522457
>He was also against the very concept of caracter model sheets

That's really fucking lame.
>>
>>81522774
How so?
>>
There's an interview where Fred Seibert tells how he wanted to make something different for tv and how John K. heavely advised him in doing both Cartoon Network and MTV.

>>81522724
>He's also kind of famous i guess
He has lots of connections. Since the beginning he made the most out of every oportunity he had to meet industry big people. Bakshi, one of the Hannah Barbera guys, Seibert, organizing constant reunions and parties for animators and making connections. Regardless of his opinions on the shows he was good friends with some of the Animaniacs staff, Bruce Timm recognized the stuff he learned from him.

I think it's safe to assume he is generally considered a respected legend in the industry.
>>
>>81522826
>How so?

Really nigga? how so? If you want to people to draw the same style as you to keep your animation consistent then you'll need a visual character model sheet on how to draw that particular character for those key frames & inbetweens.

>mfw you are this dumb.
>>
>>81521093
Yes.

John K also gave credit to The Simpsons, saying that without it he probably wouldn't have been able to sell Ren and Stimpy.
>>
>>81523372
I'm not an animation expert but according to John the model sheet is not obligatory for consistent animation or something.

>Actually I really like the things that happen in animation when one artist designs a character and another cartoonist poses or animates it and adds some of his or her own style to it.
This used to happen in a few select places- Clampett's cartoons, early Jones cartoons, Tex Avery's MGM cartoons, Terrytoons, Spumco and it happened like crazy in early Hanna Barbera TV cartoons-I'm going write about this process in a later post.

Lots of new styles spring to life when you mix and match artists and let them influence each other. This is illegal today except at my house where we made this cartoon.

I had lunch with a pitiable cartoonist who was learning to draw some modern cartoon and being forced to draw exactly like these godawful crummy model sheets. She looked suicidal after finding out one of the shows she watched as a child is purposely uncreative.
This is how many cartoonists today feel when they discover the ugly reality of modern cartoon production. I was severely depressed all through the 80s having to work on cartoons that were bad on purpose (even though the people in charge didn't know they were being bad on purpose).

Here's a mild example of what used to happen at studios who would let it:

Katie design + Hers and John's poses + Copernicus' Brad Cayford's animation = the beginning of a new style that just might turn into something really different as it evolves:
Can you guess which poses are Katie's and which John's?
>>
File: KatieBunnycolors-727575.jpg (155 KB, 1024x939) Image search: [Google]
KatieBunnycolors-727575.jpg
155 KB, 1024x939
Here's a Katie RIce drawn as a bunny by herself in a Spumco Tenacious D. music video.
>>
File: ren_and_stimpy-4882SFWXXX.jpg (58 KB, 650x584) Image search: [Google]
ren_and_stimpy-4882SFWXXX.jpg
58 KB, 650x584
>>
Model sheet aren't necessary.
>>
>>81524601
>This is how many cartoonists today feel when they discover the ugly reality of modern cartoon production. I was severely depressed all through the 80s having to work on cartoons that were bad on purpose (even though the people in charge didn't know they were being bad on purpose).
I think I know what John is talking about. Sometimes the sheets can make for even stiffer animation. I remember Kricafalusi talking about a time when filiation hired actual comic book artists to draw model sheets for certain characters. Only to find they were difficult as fuck to animate.
>>
>>81516257
Because threads like this were never b8.
>>
>>81524601
>This is illegal today except at my house where we made this cartoon.

Which cartoon was it that you made?
>>
File: wayne-gretzky-endores-ovi.jpg (72 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
wayne-gretzky-endores-ovi.jpg
72 KB, 1024x682
>>81516257
He looks like an older Wayne Gretzky.
>>
>>81522724
Can you give me a link for those posts on his blog, anon?
Sounds fascinating to hear John talking about the trends he made and end it up hating or not liking
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.