[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is animation seen as a children's medium?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: tvtropes.jpg (12 KB, 387x130) Image search: [Google]
tvtropes.jpg
12 KB, 387x130
What went wrong?
>>
Television. Cartoons went from filler for theaters to the best thing for mother's with kids since Valium.
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Analysis/AnimationAgeGhetto
>>
>>81509870
Because it is?
I don't think there is a single cartoon that deals with serious themes, other than propaganda cartoons.
It's okay though, cartoons are kinda like vidya, the plot should the least important part while gameplay or in this case the animation should be the main priority.
Detailed animation with comedy is always a nice thing to see.
>>
>>81509909
>mothers with kids
Kinda redundant
>>
>>81510085
>I don't think there is a single cartoon that deals with serious themes, other than propaganda cartoons.
Even back in the 90s stuff like Hey Arnold dealt with relatively heavy stuff.
>>
There's plenty of animation specifically aimed at adults. The problem is that it's all a narrow band of comedy.

Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy (and clones therein), anything on Adult Swim.
>>
>>81510085
I think the question is more of how cartoons as a medium became associated with children. It's just as disingenuous as saying books are for smart people or manga is for weaboos, it's simply too diverse to generalize.
>>
>>81509870
>tvtropes
don't go around spouting this nonsense, categorization of common archetypes is stupid

dumb site, dumb userbase
>>
>>81510191
>categorization of common archetypes is stupid
Why?
>>
>>81509870
Because cartoons WERE a "children's medium" until the 90s or so.
>>
>>81510191
>i hate things that arnt 4chan
cant you neets just die already?
>>
Because they're colourful and easy to understand. It's the same reason us autists like them so much
>>
>>81511980
Isn't the reason they are colourful and easy to understand because they are made for children? If animation lost its "for kids" status, then maybe we would get more shows that aren't so colourful and easy to understand.

Felidae has been discussed here as of late for some reason, that's something I would hardly call colourful or easy to understand. It's not exactly for children either. Maybe if people made more films like that, just in English and about people instead of cats, people would start to consider animation a more serious medium like they do live-action.
>>
>>81510165
>There's plenty of animation specifically aimed at adults. The problem is that it's all a narrow band of comedy.

Fucking This.
>>
>>81512199
Doesn't have to be made for children senpai. Kids are just drawn to cartoons, and if enough kids do something then it becomes "for kids".

I guess it would be technically possible to make all animation look messy and dull so you feel less ashamed of enjoying it, but that would be gay.
>>
>>81510165
Crude sex jokes aren't mature. Try again.
>>
>>81510085
>I don't think there is a single cartoon that deals with serious themes, other than propaganda cartoons.
I hope you're not being serious here anon.

>>81510165
You mean TV shows. Examples of cartoons aimed at adults that aren't comedies would be Persepolis, Waltz with Bashir, The Congress, The Prophet, Fantastic Planet, Heavy Metal, ...
>>
>>81512199
>Maybe if people made more films like that, just in English and about people instead of cats, people would start to consider animation a more serious medium like they do live-action.
Maybe if you actually watched them when people make them instead of staying in your kiddie animation bubble and complaining that you don't find adult animation in it.
>>
>We're never getting anything like this ever again
>>
>>81510191

>categorization of common archetypes is stupid
Ditto, why? It's pretty useful. Dumb userbase, though
>>
>>81510096
No, it adds an important element that a lot of parents don't want to spend time with their kids and would rather turn on the TV and get the hell out of there. It isn't the kid's choice to turn on the TV and just marathon shit, it's the parent's (And typically the mother's since she is by default in America the primary caretaker).

It's like how you don't blame the kid if all they eat is candy, you blame the parent giving it to them in the first place.
>>
>>81509870
Removing the sexy topics.

>can't talk about tropes in hentai
>>
>>81516185
iirc Google made them get rid of a lot of sexual tropes. It's just as well, sex is hardly a complex narrative tool.
>>
>>81513898
don't remind me anon
>>
>>81510085
That's called a vicious circle anon. OP's asking why it happened in the first place though.
>>
Wasn't things like the Flintstones originally meant for adults?
>>
File: 1453754415417.jpg (378 KB, 1239x795) Image search: [Google]
1453754415417.jpg
378 KB, 1239x795
>>81510191
>>
>>81516993
>defending shit like this troper
>>
>>81517170
>defending something what was kicked from site years ago

>>81510301
>>81515360
Some anons have hatebonner for places like TV Tropes and will hate thing what sides do, or something they just hate things what don' t do personally.
>>
>>81516837
Pretty much. Gotta say I find it more watchable as an adult, I hgated them as a kid.
Still falls under the sitcom category like The Simpsons.
>>
File: troper and rabbit.png (165 KB, 800x293) Image search: [Google]
troper and rabbit.png
165 KB, 800x293
>>81516993
>>
>>81510165
That's actually apart of the question. If a cartoon has to specifically emphasize its intednded audience aren't children, that perpuates the notion that cartoons are for kids.
>>
File: nmacsmb9U71u6luamo1_500.gif (360 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
nmacsmb9U71u6luamo1_500.gif
360 KB, 500x375
>Was an autistic sperg who posted there
>My posts were riddled with errors and cringy headcanon shit
>Stopped posting and since abandoned my account for about five years
>My posts are still there unchanged
>mfw
>>
>>81509870
marketing
>>
>TroperTales
Those were good times.
>>
File: dog.jpg (15 KB, 340x429) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
15 KB, 340x429
>>81519890
>>81519890
We're all freaks of some kind, or else we wouldn't be on 4chan. It disturbs me, at least, to think if I were just a little more maladjusted I'd be one of these autistic fuck-ups instead of just being a bitter asshole screaming about cartoons, unable to hide my power level because I'd be too potato to understand why I can't go telling people I write stories about men fucking rabbits.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.