[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't read comics for years but I hear that marvel's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: Marvel-vs-DC-8.jpg (1 MB, 1280x732) Image search: [Google]
Marvel-vs-DC-8.jpg
1 MB, 1280x732
I haven't read comics for years but I hear that marvel's lineup of comics are all complete garbage while DC has some hits and misses but mostly good and getting better.

Is this true? I've been looking for stuff to read and I found some /co/ recommendations of new 52 and I'm going through them. What about marvel? Has their lineup of comics been so bad that nobody cares about them anymore due to their push for diversity?
>>
>Marvel
>bad
Marvel dominates market for a reason.
>>
>>81509687
Yeah, star wars.
>>
Hercules is pretty good, Karnak is pretty good, Strange is pretty good. Panther looks promising.
>>
File: 1.jpg (6 KB, 131x146) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
6 KB, 131x146
Marvel is pure shit. DC is good tho
>>
>>81509687
>marketing
>>
Neither of them are any good.
>>
>>81509757
Thanks, that's something to start myself off.

Are any of the Xmen or events worth reading or has Bendis destroyed everything with his writing?
>>
>>81509668

You hear wrong.
>>
>>81509943
Secret Wars was pretty good, especially if you read Hickman's Avengers/Fantastic Four runs.
>>
From Marvel, Vision and Ultimates are great.
>>
File: 1453316418767.jpg (74 KB, 314x347) Image search: [Google]
1453316418767.jpg
74 KB, 314x347
>>81509668
>Has their lineup of comics been so bad that nobody cares about them anymore due to their push for diversity?
1) It's just /co/
2) If /co/ didn't care they wouldn't obsess over their every move

In terms of recs it depends on how many years you were gone. There was some good Marvel Now stuff between 2012 and now. Thor God of Thunder and X-Men Legacy spring to mind. Moon Knight was off the chain. Ms Marvel and All-New Ghost Rider were "push for diversity" comics that managed to be highly enjoyable regardless and get a strong following here. Similarly Loki Agent of Asgard was genuinely great despite outwardly looking like tumblrb8.

As for current post-Secret Wars ongoings Vision is probably /co/'s favourite Marvel comic at the moment. And I'd be remiss to not recommend Ultimates, between the latest and next issue I'd definitely call it the best Avengers book.
>>
File: 1457761914581.jpg (35 KB, 346x349) Image search: [Google]
1457761914581.jpg
35 KB, 346x349
>>81509723
my sides have entered the fifth dimension
>>
>>81510181
Been gone since 2012, I've read some stuff here and there but I guess I need to check out Ms Marvel and All New ghost riders as I read 1-2 issues before I dropped off comics for years.

Thanks for the long answer.
>>
>>81510212
You're welcome.
There was also Secret Wars last year that was chock full of self-contained miniseries. If that's interesting to you I personally recommend Weirdworld, Little Marvel and Siege, beyond that Ghost Racers, Master of Kung Fu, Infinity Gauntlet, MODOK and 1872 were all well-liked. And E for Extinction if you're up for a Morrison-Men nostalgia trip.
>>
>>81509668
Why buy any current titles?

After CW2 there will be another Major Comic Event that resets everything just in time for the next movie.
>>
>>81513408
Oh well, guess marvel isn't worth reading then.

I'm gonna stick to Image, Vertigo and DC then.
>>
>>81510181
Not that guy but which X-Men legacy? I remember reading one about finding some super-powered people in a submarine but after it getting sliced by many crossovers I lost interest. Is it worth reading?
>>
>>81515770
Si Spurrier's, Marvel Now. S'really good. Fox is adapting it into a TV show.
>>
>>81515963
So I guess it's a different X-Men Legacy. Good because the other one was bland as fuck.
Were there any other good X-Men storylines released since 2010?
I remember reading all of the Messiah Saga and was super disappointed at the end. I enjoyed Uncanny X-Force by Remender but I hated his Uncanny Avengers.
>>
>>81509668
Literally every comic series from both sides has hit an misses

To honestly just blatantly wipe away an entire franchise is pretty short sighted.
I really liked the new Secret Wars and some of the offshoots of that, but everyone recognizes that Thor is now SJW garbage

I REALLY like new 52 Batman, but I can't stand superman
>>
File: 1432986517064.gif (15 KB, 300x600) Image search: [Google]
1432986517064.gif
15 KB, 300x600
>>81516086
>Were there any other good X-Men storylines released since 2010?
Honestly I think Spurrier's Legacy might be why I'm not into X-Men anymore, it puts them all to fucking shame.
>>
>>81516721
Then I'm gonna read it now then because disappointing X-Books seriously piss me off. Especially that House of M/Decimation/Messiah things/Hope soap opera.
>>
>>81509668

Yeah, Marvel is pure diarrhea.

DC has got some great stuff right now though.
>>
>>81517023
Like what?
>>
>>81509668
The Vision, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, Hercules, and Totally Awesome Hulk are all great.
>>
File: clark.jpg (10 KB, 168x233) Image search: [Google]
clark.jpg
10 KB, 168x233
>>81509668
Here is what I've enjoyed from Marvel NOW and New 52 to ANAD Marvel and DC You

>Marvel NOW
Journey into Mystery
Thor God of Thunder
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Venom
Ms Marvel
Silk
Axis Carnage/Hobgoblin
Superior Ironman
Battleworld(BW): Thors
BW: Master of Kung Fu
BW: Ghost Racers
BW: Spider Island

New 52
Wonder Woman (Azzerello)
Red Lanterns
Larfleeze
Detective Comics
Batman (up until Court of Owls stops)
Redhood and the Outlaws

ANAD Marvel
Vision
Carnage
Ms Marvel
Silk
Spider-Man and Deadpool
Kanark
Squadron Supreme
Hyperion
Contest of Champions
All New Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
ANAD Avengers
Illuminati
All New Wolverine
Extraordinary X-Men

DC You
Omega Men

Sorry guys, Marvel just has more comics, filled with more characters that I want to read about
>>
>>81517045
Omega Men, Midnighter, Martian Manhunter, Grayson, Constantine: The Hellblazer. Sheriff of Babylon if we're counting Vertigo.

I'd say Marvel has some good stuff too right now, like Vision and The Ultimates.
>>
DC has been printing some really good stuff recently. In the Nu52 we had Dial H, which is fantastic, and with DC You we got Omega Men, Midnighter, and Martian Manhunter. The New 52 runs on Swamp Thing and Animal Man are pretty good too, and the current Justice League arc is loads of fun.
>>
I find it ironic that marvel movies are so good but their comics all suck now while DC movies are so bad while the comics are fun and entertaining.

It's weird isn't it?
>>
>>81521075
It makes sense if you know whats going on, marvel keeps rebooting everything and trying to match comics to movies instead of the other way around. DC keeps all their shit seperate, cw verse, gotham, dccu, dcau, and comics are seperate the movies are just snyders fault cuz he only read miller and moore and wants his movies to be dark and meaningful which only worked on watchmen
>>
>>81509668
Become the Valiant/Image master race.
>>
>>81509770
>1.jpg
>>
>>81523988
Recommend me Valient/Image shit.
>>
>>81524088
For Valiant you can really read anything in their publishing line aside from the Pre-Wrath Eternal Warrior series and as of yet the Shadowman stuff since valiant came back. My recommended starting point is the miniseries The Valiant. As for image, my favorites are The Autumnlands, Black Science, and The Manhattan Projects. Gonna start reading Chew, Wayward, and The Fix soon.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.