[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Omnibuses/collections of runs that you wish existed. Seriously,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: batman5.jpg (40 KB, 332x450) Image search: [Google]
batman5.jpg
40 KB, 332x450
Omnibuses/collections of runs that you wish existed.

Seriously, why isn't there one for O'Neil's Batman? It's one of the most prolific runs on the character.
>>
>>81504334
There is. Your picture is literally the cover of the Neal Adams' Omnibus collection.
>>
>>81504367
But that only collects the issues drawn by Adams.
>>
>>81504479
Oh I see. Yeah, DC is really bad at collecting their Bronze Age comics. Englehart Bat collection when?
>>
>>81504538
>DC is really bad at collecting their Bronze Age comics.

It's true, and that's super weird to me because in my opinion it was probably the age that really defined them the most, at least as far as how the characters are written now.
>>
I'd dig a Loki: Agent of Asgard omni.
>>
>>81504581
I dunno, unless it's New 52 or a classic, DC isn't the best at collecting or reprinting things, whereas Marvel will give EVERYTHING an omnibus.
>>
>>81504705
Yeah, I really wish DC did things more similar to Marvel's Ultimate/Complete/Epic collections. I just got done reading Starlin's Adam Warlock for instance and I really loved it.
>>
>>81504334

With not horrible recolors
>>
Peter Milligan and Chris Bachalo Shade the Changing Man
Levtiz and GIffen LOSH
Claremont and Alan Davis Excalibur

I can't believe Marvel is actually putting out Master of Kung Fu omnis, of course the money's paw there is that the coloring job will look awful and garish since they never put in any effort
>>
>>81504334
How is that even a Question
>>
>>81504926
One day DC will make a Question omnibus, or reprint that run. One day.
>>
>>81504996
will that day be before or after I die
>>
>>81504334
Kyle and Yost's new X-men run.
That would be sweet.
>>
>>81504907
>Claremont and Alan Davis Excalibur

Has been collected in its entirety as Excalibur Classic in five trades.

Meanwhile, the Claremont-Smith X-Men has not seen a trade collection since From the Ashes in 1990.
>>
>>81505024
Loooong after.
>>
I just wish comics were logically collected in the proper order. Also I wish omnis/collections didn't just end with a hundred comics left uncollected.
>>
>>81504701
You and me both, Anon.
>>
>>81505499
>Loooong after
Hope never dies.
>>
Batman Family and Batman and the Outsiders. They're both short enough for omnibus treatment. Jim Aparo era Batman should be better collected too. And Englehart of course.

Most of the collections I wish existed have just been custom bound - and I've collected the floppies to do the same. Ladronn Cable, New Mutants and Excalibur. PAD Young Justice and Aquaman.

Shade the Changing Man, Grell Arrow, Suicide Squad, JLA/JLI/JLE, LoSH, Alpha Flight, NTT, Rom Spaceknight, remasted MoKF, etc.

Mainly silver age and pre-COIE DC stuff - I don't care if it was trash, I just want collections in existence just for the opportunity of reading them without resorting to torrents.

That said, I'd prefer the floppies any time.
>>
>>81505793
>Jim Aparo era Batman should be better collected too. And Englehart of course.

Yeah. I read almost all of the Bronze age Batman and Detective Comic issues on the computer, and I normally hate reading scans. But there's a lot of good stuff there, it's crazy they haven't collected that shit yet.
>>
>>81504538
What issues are his run?
>>
>>81505991
They're just not relevant anymore. And I think some of the writers burned bridges over the years, so DC isn't so willing to throw money their way. I have no idea though, it is ridiculous. The scans are so low quality, thankfully the material is mostly quarter bin stuff.

I do wish more of Kirby's work would be put back in print, because the scans for those are atrocious and the prices too high for key issues for me to even bother searching for.
>>
>>81506099
I mean, if not reprint the Fourth World omnibuses, at least make paperbacks for them. It's insane those don't get reprints, they're essential.
>>
>>81506135
maybe they will whenever Darkseid shows up in DCEU
>>
>>81505793
>Jim Aparo era Batman
There's, I think, two collections of this. Legends of The Dark Knight by Jim Aparo. Not DC's fail nobody buys them and you can't blame them for not making more of something that doesn't sell.
>>
>>81506283
That's all Brave and the Bold material though. That's great and all, but they really should collect his later Batman run, that fills the gap between the Year One/Second Chances tpbs and Milligan's Dark City/Dixon's Robin Reborn. 417-451. You could split it 417-429, and 430-447, and collect the later stuff in whatever Grant/Breyfogle collection comes out later.

That would take us all the way through Knightfall with a near perfect run, and a Moench/Jones vol 2 would take it all the way through No Man's Land. That sort of collection would rival the X-Men for longest, unbroken streak in a Big 2 company, but DC just doesn't care.
>>
>>81506099
>They're just not relevant anymore

I think they're more relevant than a LOT of people who get constantly name dropped, in terms of influence and importance. They were the people who actually brought grit and pulp back to comics in some way after the silly mess that was the silver age.

Marvel also has collections dating back to the very first issue of most of its series that started in the 60s, there's no reason to not do a "Bronze Age Batman" collection.
>>
>>81506956
I'm not disagreeing with you, but DC cares more about keeping its current writers happy, which means modern collections taking precedence - DC has always been hard-reboot trigger-happy and sells more from its cheap tpbs than it does off collections of older material that really only appeals to older fans. And the money from those would go to writers they've probably written off as useless for the company (see how they've treated Mark Waid for nearly a decade, for instance), and DC tends to like keeping that money within the company stable or artists and writers.

For a legacy company, DC is rather forward-thinking; much more so than Marvel, where the past is just as important and "sacred" (I'm not saying whether either is better than the other, mind you, just that this is how things are). Marvel also has a better track record of listening to its fanbase and delivering (there's no real DC equivalent of the marvel masterworks fansite, for instance, where those in the collection department actually have their ear to the ground to see what adults with money actually demand)

There's just a lot of factors involved, but when I speak of relevance, I mean what lets DC profit while keeping its profits within the company's talent pool. They basically try to buy off allegiance at this point.
>>
>>81507481
DC has hard rebooted a grand total of twice
>>
>>81506649
>Milligan's Dark City
There's a collection for that
>Grant/Breyfogle
That too.
Sure I'd love a Milligan trade collecting his 'tec issues also, but there's not much demand. You talk of X-men but the reason it's so well collected is because so much is written by one man, and even then, New Mutants is not collected.
>>
>>81507528
Which is still more than Marvel, and regardless of any potential argument there, is much more a part of the company's/universe's "character". They look towards new stories, even if they're occasionally derivative of the past, while pushing older stories under the rug.

>>81507710
Post-Claremont X-Men has been collected as well, if not more impressively, considering the scope of crossovers and ancillary titles. Besides ~10 issues and the next Claremont vol 4 omni, nearly everything up through Onslaught is collected in some form or another; and then there's only a two years of material until everything becomes collected again post Revolution (timeskip, Claremont returning in time for the movie).

I know about Dark City - I said there's a gap between the post-Crisis tpbs and Milligan's trade that needs filling.
Grant/Breyfogle's collection has Detective Comics material, not their earlier Batman work. DC could collect the era containing Batman 448-476, with a few omissions around Milligan's tpb, and followed by a potential Moench tpb collecting 477-490.

There's relatively little work DC would need to do anyways. They have a lot of late-90s trades coming out within the next few months, so we can only hope that they start working backwards to pre-crossover era Batman next.
>>
>>81507902
>while pushing older stories under the rug.
This is exactly what Marvel does when they retcon shit.
>>
>>81506135
>at least make paperbacks for them.

They did make paperbacks for them. And those went out of print, too.
>>
File: batman-07.jpg (43 KB, 660x391) Image search: [Google]
batman-07.jpg
43 KB, 660x391
>>81504334
Damn it, I've always loved the blue and grey suit with the yellow/black oval symbol.
>>
>>81504334
>>81508373
This is what I think of when I think "Batman".
>>
File: blue and grey.jpg (54 KB, 505x336) Image search: [Google]
blue and grey.jpg
54 KB, 505x336
>>81508623
There's just something about it that I really like.
>>
>>81508827
For me, it's simply because that's what Batman looked like when I was a kid. It's how he appeared in comics, cartoons, action figures, trading cards, and all the rest.
>>
>>81508373
>>81508623
>>81508827
I liked that Batman wore the blue and grey for the first half or so of TDKR. I thought it looked really awesome on beefy oldbats.
>>
>>81508914
>That left leg.
Who knew Bats was half-satyr?
>>
Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Young Justice, and X-Factor by Peter David
>>
>>81505793
>PAD Young Justice
I would KILL for a YJ omni.

Does DC read letters anymore?
>>
File: 1452516711740.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1452516711740.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>81509199
>I would KILL for a YJ omni.

mfw this never happens.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.