[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black Panther is getting rave reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 940x529
Are we ready for the massive shit storm this board is going to throw tomorrow?

>Paste Magazine: Black Panther #1 is just a damn good read that will appeal to both die-hard enthusiasts and curious literati looking to see what all the fuss is about. Coates and Stelfreeze’s first issue captures the reader’s attention and leaves a deep impression.

>Newsarama: Black Panther #1 is a stellar debut that delivers an intriguing premise, backed by interesting characters and beautiful artwork. The cumulative effect of Coates’ writing and the art by Stelfreeze and Martin is what makes the book shine. There’s an energetic flow that feels less like three individuals collaborating and more like a singular vision coming to the forefront.

>CBR: Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates makes his comics debut with a slow-paced story, but the character work itself is excellent and strengthened by the legendary Brian Stelfreeze, who draws powerful, expressive pages for big action as well as quiet, poignant scenes of reflection.
>>
>>81491144
>Black Panther
>Wonder Woman Earth One

Boy do I wish that second one was coming out tomorrow everywhere because /co/ would have a meltdown over both of these
>>
Can someone explain to me why people on this board get mad at literally anything that has to do with minorities?
>>
this is basically oscar bait but with comics

you cant give this comic a bad review unless you want to be labeled a racist
>>
>>81491280
Here we go
>>
>>81491229
It's not just this board, in fact this board is remarkably tame compared to some others. People just have insecurities and it's easier to shitpost on this website anonymously than actually confront them.

Other boards refer to /co/ as /co/mblr (very clever), so that should give you a comparison point as to how moderate the racist shitposting is here
>>
>>81491144
Why a shit storm?
Black Panther seemed well liked here.
>>
>>81491355
Because it's destroying the /co/ narrative that black superheroes can't sell
>>
>>81491229
Most of them are memeposting kids from /pol9k/ who only surface during these types of threads.

There's a legitimate issue with pandering in comics and replacing characters with minority versions simply for the sake of "diversity", but that's different. There's always gonna be edgelords and stormfront faggots on 4chan.
>>
>>81491355
/co/ hates the writer
>>
>slow-paced 12 issue arc
Oh boy here we go. Enjoy your no-sales and kept-alive-only-as-a-diverstiy-book. We've been through this multiple times before, you have to come out swinging when single issues are four dollars and the first issue is five.
>>
I've been mildly hyped for this comic. It's obviously done to market BP for the new movie but I loved Priest's run and I've been desperate for a good Black Panther comic since. So here's hoping.
>>
The idiots at TCJ are excited for it so it has to be shit. Also I'm not a fan of the writer
>>
I thought the writing was pedestrian in the preview, but I'm still looking forward to this and Midnighter tomorrow.
>>
>>81491422
nigga the first amazing spider-man arc has taken 10 issues for Sloot to complete and spidy is doing thing.
>>
>>81491382
See
>>81491422
>>
Hickman should be writing this desu senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 786x393) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 786x393
I can't imagine how insufferable this board is going to be when Civil War comes out. There's going to be 1,000 threads on Bucky and Cap jobbing to a black man so Marvel can score diversity points.
>>
>>81491479
Spider-Man has the luxury of being able to do that because it's Spider-Man, an extremely popular hero who will never get canceled.
>>
TNC and Wonder Woman Earth 1, /co/ will be uninhabitable
>>
>>81491229

Well white trash people have internet access too, so it was inevitable
>>
File: 1858888.png (357 KB, 992x690) Image search: [Google]
1858888.png
357 KB, 992x690
>comic book reviews

I might check it out since I like Black Panther. I'm not expecting much from it though. Also, I wouldn't expect any type of shitstorm here since /co/ doesn't read comics.
>>
>>81491144
>Black Panther is getting rave reviews
No shit. You're not allowed to criticize black people, especially black writers in the comic book industry writing a black character.

If only /co/ didn't kill McDuffie.
>>
>>81491144
>shill sites giving good reviews to a heavily hyped book by the current liberal awesome black man
Doesn't mean shit. Maybe it is good, maybe it's complete shit, but wait until it comes out. You should never, ever rely on comic book sites for reviews since every last one of them is nothing but a paid shill service.
>>
>>81491639
and when the third issue comes out the civil war movie will be in threaters, which mean sales will improve from the third issue until the issue # 5
>>
>>81491520
TNC is probably the most prestigious writer in America you could get on this right now.
>>
>>81491422
fuck off it can't be any worse than Hudlin's run

some of us actually give new runs a chance, but hey, feel free to shitpost and rake in the (You)s
>>
Tomorrow when this gets storytimed I will be the first post and I will post BLACKED and you cant stop me /co/
>>
>>81491520

Hickman can't just write one book

his scope is always bigger than that
>>
>>81491808
I mentioned nothing about its quality. Omega Men was a great recent slow burn book, however, it's selling less than five digits.
>>
>>81491229
Personally I hate Coates for being a racebaiting moron and getting a job over potentially more talented writes purely because of his name value, not his actual ability to write a good comic. The latter is something Marvel's been pushing really bad the last few years, doing everything they can to cater to a loud minority of internet whiners who don't read comics which has led to decreased sales in the most recent relaunch.

The latter half they've been doing for like 10 or 15 years at this point though. It's just that "minority writer" has replaced "TV writer" so instead of people like JMS, Damon Lindeloff, the Knauffs, Heinberg or whoever getting work because they write for TV and Marvel wants to be like TV, they get Kate Leth or Ta-Nehisi Coates to write things because of their desire to appeal to progressives and portray themselves as a bastion of progressive enlightenment in the entertainment world. Quality doesn't matter to them, only arbitrary values that have nothing to do with the actual ability to write or draw a comic just like it did when they were bringing in TV writers.

Although there is a slight difference in that the TV writers were, of course, guys who had lots of experience writing serialized, fictional, soap operatic tales and especially in the post-Planetary world of widescreen comics which took influence from TV and movies, the transition probably was a fair bit easier than people whose writing experiences are ComicsAlliance articles, nonfiction books and strawman webcomics.
>>
>>81491413
/co/ barely knows who he is. He's never written a comic before, and let's not act like anyone but like 5 people on this board have read any of his articles.
>>
>>81492096
Did you see how Marvel started parading him the second he signed on? It's flat out insulting at this point
>>
>>81492322
Yes but more than five people have read excerpts that other anons have posted in other to make them angry
>>
>>81492352
And where dey at nigga.
>>
>>81491520
>Hickman should be writing this desu senpai

yeah, then he could not tell us again how Panther and Namor resolved their differences.
>>
>>81492407
I'm sure someone will get around to it. Every month for the next year.
>>
>>81491144
>Black Panther is getting rave reviews
Just like how Whor and Squirrel Girl got rave reviews.
>>
>>81492465
ima say it again cus u dont hear me stop bein sum pooh ass bitch nigga an scratch dat shit out.
>>
File: 1458394917980.png (259 KB, 752x565) Image search: [Google]
1458394917980.png
259 KB, 752x565
>>81491718
It's just like Supergirl. Critics can't hate it otherwise they're sexist.
>>
>>81491280
which is kinda ironic

since Wakanda is xenophobic, racist, fascist kingdom

note how Wakanda and Latveria have always been sort-of-allies.
>>
>>81491520
Hickman does teams pretty much exclusively. I wish he were writing Ultimates.
>>
>trusting comic book "reviewers"

they're as bad a video game reviewers
>>
>>81492444
wasnt it obvious they bonded over the end of the universe and overcame their hate?
>>
>>81491382
>black superheroes can't sell
no shit, any superheroes not named Batman, Spider-Man, or X-Men can't sell
>>
>Black lead
>Black creative team
>female colorist
>supposedly focuses on the female characters
>lgbt characters
The shitposting btw this and Wonder Woman Earth One will be unbearable
>>
>>81492642
do xmen still sell? (other than deadpool who is tied to xmen line for no reason)

im surprised. the current xbooks are pretty bad
>>
>>81492555
Xenophobia isn't the same as racism idiot
>>
>>81492749
never said it was, "smart guy"
>>
>>81492562
I think they're worse, a video game reviewer (generally) puts at least an hour into the game. Comic reviewers spend ten minutes on it and are done. Plus half their "review" is just recapping the events of the comic.
I don't think I've ever seen video game reviewers fuck up understanding a game as comic reviewers did with the Grayson Future End tie in
>>
>>81492636
>>81492096
Ah thanks.
>>
>>81491193
nobody's gonna have a freakout over earth one but sjw's and autists
>>
>>81492740
bro, the first thing you have to know, and this is especially true for capeshit:
POPULARITY IS NOT INDICATIVE OF QUALITY
>>
>>81492801
>I don't think I've ever seen video game reviewers fuck up understanding a game as comic reviewers did with the Grayson Future End tie in

Vidya reviewers are worse because almost any AAA title will get rave reviews no matter how shit it is.

Them getting free merchandise and early builds on new games depends on keeping this practice up.
>>
>>81491229
>this board
It's this entire site since about 2013, mate.
Other boards actually hate /co/ and call it /co/mblr for being moderate in its Stormfrontery, because it's fighting its destiny to become /tv/.
>>
>>81491718

Any website that use a decimal system is garbage. It's just grading on an even more worthless bell curve.
>>
>>81492720
Are they going to make Wonder Woman a strong independent lesbian in love with a muslim woman?
>>
>>81493479

She tried to make a black dude her sex bondage slave and made fun of a fatty; the PC crowd already exploded over it

It won't be too bad
>>
>>81493623
Exactly why they'll double down to go full pander.
>>
>>81493814
I don't think you understand how writing works. It's releasing tomorrow. They aren't editing it to "pander". Please think before you shitpost
>>
>>Want to support black characters and black writers.

>>Don't want to support MCU Dismarvel shit.

Minorities on X-Men when?
>>
>>81494260
They're mutants, they're already a minority
>>
>>81494260
>Reading the X-Men
You're part of the problem
>>
>>81492322
Because he's still a journalist and a non-fiction writer. Marvel is parading him around like he's the next coming of Neil Gaiman.
>>
IS WW Earth one releasing tomorrow or next week?
>>
>>81491229

Maybe because they're shoehorned in at the expense of other characters?

Although, Black Panther isn't and is already established he literally represents the WE WUZ KANGZ meme.
>>
>>81492749
He deliberately called Wakanda both xenophobic and racist, anon. The heck.
>>
>>81492096
Coates is a more acclaimed writer than half of Marvels a listers put together
>>
>>81491355
Minority and female characters are treated as token or Politically-motived by a vocal segment of /co/.

Never mind that BP is 50 years old and was created by Stan and Jack...he's still somehow a token character.

Also, as some have Pointed out, Coates writes about systemic racism, which some /co/mrades find triggering.
>>
>>81491229
>>81491229
>>81491404
>>81492096
>>81493158
>>81495092
>>81475430

Its disturbing seeing traditional fanrage co opted by this mainstream culture war bullshit.

I just turned off Chris Plante to focus on typing here and now I see the same bullshit.

Is it impossible for anything in this year to not wind up like this bullshit?

Does every single event involving a women or a minority have to become a clusterfuck.

Is this what comics have become.

Fuck it, we deserve to burn.

Let flood the shitposters, on tumblr and pol and tv , r9k, gators and double chan, reddit and mras , redpillers stormfags and archivers. Let loose the company wars, the cuckposters and the robots, the beta uprisers, the jewposters and the shills.

Co has died. Love is now death. Eros to Thanatos. I welcome our demise

Long live oblivion!
>>
>>81495381
I like this pasta, keep it coming
>>
>>81491960
>>81491422
12 issuws s near ideal size for a.run why is that slow burn?
Watchmen, All Star Superman, The Authority, Omega Men. 12 issues is just so sweet
>>
>>81491607
Black Panther is literally Cap with super genius, he would be the one who would be jobbing if he lost
>>
>>81495060
Comic stores tomorrow, book stores and Amazon next week
>>
>>81495381
We were warned by /a/ over a decade ago that we were too inviting to newfags.
We should have listened.
>>
>>81495512
The light that shines twice as bright burns half as long
>>
>>81495449
Elissbolts is perfect too.
>>
> Despite the difference in style and practice of storytelling, my approach to comic books ultimately differs little from my approach to journalism. In both forms, I am trying to answer a question. In my work forThe AtlanticI have, for some time, been asking a particular question: Can a society part with, and triumph over, the very plunder that made it possible? InBlack Pantherthere is a simpler question: Can a good man be a king, and would an advanced society tolerate a monarch? Research is crucial in both cases. The Black Panther I offer pulls from the archives of Marvel and the character’s own long history. But it also pulls from the very real history of society—from the pre-colonial era of Africa, the peasant rebellions that wracked Europe toward the end of the Middle Ages, the American Civil War, the Arab Spring, and the rise ofisis.

> in part, made possible by a cold-eyed approach to sentence-craft.

And this, too, is the fulfillment of the 9-year-old in me. ReadingThe Amazing Spider-Mancomic books as a kid, I didn’t just take in the hero’s latest amazing feat; I wrestled seriously with his celebrated tagline—“With great power comes great responsibility.” Chris Claremont’sThe Uncanny X‑Menwasn’t just about an ultracool band of rebels. That series sought to grapple with the role of minorities in society—both the inner power and the outward persecution that come with that status. And so it is (I hope) withBlack Panther. The questions are what motivate the action. The questions, ultimately, are more necessary than the answers.
When were you when Ta Nehsi saved Marvel
>>
>>81496019

He's my only hope for X-Men desu
>>
>>81496019
Sounds like he's actually read more comics and done more research on his character than most comic writers, sorry to say
>>
>>81496059

he's a big comics nerd, it's like 1/3 of his twitter
>>
>>81492558
Why? Ewing is doing great with it, its probably Top 3 if not the best Marvel book out, actually his books are all Top5(maybe new avengers isn't but its still good).
>>
>>81491229
Black Panther isn't a minority, he is an African man,h e isn't an US minority, he is his own character, Black americans can't relate to him and the notion that they needed a black writer for this is dumb.

Anyway that was just a side note, people arounmd here hate on most stuff, but I think Black Panther isn't that hated around here, people seem to like him.
>>
>>81492096
Coates is more literary than all the TV writers you mentioned.

>racebaiting

acknowledging and writing about the history of racism and race is not racebaiting you moron.
>>
>>81496048
Holy fucking shit this is perfect
Tom King this nigga stat
>>
>>81496209

it's hilarious comparing TNC to those people. it's apples and oranges
>>
>>81495381
>Does every single event involving a women or a minority have to become a clusterfuck.
Blame it on the fags writing this garbage. They can't just write a female or minority character as their own individual without any political bullshit attached these days. The writer who is writing Black Panther is a racebaiting scumbag who is undoubtedly going to turn this comic into yet another SJW shitfest.
>>
>>81496263
>why are politics involved in the story of this african king! i dont understand

fuck you
>>
>>81496209
>racism and race
>to a guy from Wakanda
>>
>>81496305
i'm talking about his other work.
>>
>>81496205
>Black americans can't relate to him
Because you need to come from the same place as a character to relate to them
>>
>>81496291
Yes, anon. That's exactly what I meant. The politics of this fictional kingdom, not the writers personal politics.
>>
>>81496205
>Black americans can't relate to him

[citation needed]
>>
>>81496320
Ofc you don't, but that is what Marvel is saying, he is black so blacks relate to him.

You don't relate to a person because of a damn skin colour.
>>
>>81492096
but coates is a decent writer with a decent book out there and is contemporary lit studied in university lit courses now.

this has nothing to do with him being black desu, that's just a byproduct of the themes of his writing senpai
>>
>>81496391
>You don't relate to a person because of a damn skin colour.
You do nowadays. In fact, it's the only way you relate to someone. Gender and race. Gone are the days were people would look up to people based on merit
>>
>>81496263
You're a gigantic faggot, I hope you know that.
I bet you use the phrase 'political correctness' unironically.
>>
>>81496263
>Racebaiting

You people use this term a lot. What does it mean exactly?
>>
>>81496428
Yeah in this world of SJW retards. In the real world you relate to people with similar issues, similar jobs, similar lifes, similar relationships, not hey he is "green colored" I relate to him.
>>
>>81496435
And I bet you get triggered easily, tumblrcunt.
>>
>>81496445
acknowledging racism exists is racebaiting. at least thats what i hear when i tune in to fox news.
>>
/tv/ and /pol/ faggots are already in /co/ in droves thanks to those South Park talkback threads so the impending "hurr if you like black panther you're a cuck" or "people are only giving the new black panther positive reception to pander to sjws" posts aren't shocking anymore
>>
>>81496507
>>
>>81496499
>buzzword buzzword boogeyman

ooh, ooh! call him a cuck next! or that he should stay on reddit!
>>
i understand /co/ is a comics board but holy shit maybe you guys should actually read other stuff to understand why certain writers are lauded and acclaimed?
the most I've seen /co/ read is the lowest common denom of genre fiction like pratchett
>>
>>81496435
Political correctness is used unironically both by it's supporters and opponents so I don't know what exactly do you accuse him of.
>>
All this shitstorm was created by the retard who made the second post about hating on "minorities" which has nothing to do with the book(maybe it will, but it shouldn't) and no one was hating(yet).
>>
>>81496557
>this fucking mad
I love it.

>>81496507
/pol/ is here because of the SJW writers and artists infecting comic books and spewing their garbage. They're a counterbalance to faggots like you. /tv/ is here because of the stupid fucking movies.
>>
>>81496560
How is Pratchett lowest common denom of genre fiction? Even if you were talking only about fantasy that would be Martin or Rowling.
>>
>>81491355
Because American whites can't deal when shit isn't catered to them
>>
>>81496642
You're really smug and cool dude, I hope I can be like you someday when I stop being a new poster to 4chan who only heard about it on Tumblr and came here to spread my ideas of social justice
>>
>>81496499
Sounds like you're the one that got 'triggered' you memelord.
Drop some more computer chair politics on me so I can be 'redpilled'.
>>81496565
Of being a faggot, I think it was pretty clear.
>>
>>81496680
>writing apolitical stories without pandering to anyone's race or gender is considered pandering to American Whites
Well okay then.
>>
>>81496642
>implying you yourself arent mad and triggered by socalled sjws

its ok to be mad pal.
>>
>>81496698
>>81496499
>>81496435
>>81496263
>>81495381
Are you even 2 different people of just one retard trying to take shitposting to a whole new level?
>>
>>81496642
>taking pride in being from /pol/

Ok lil guy, you've had your fun shitposting. Now head on back to your safe space---I mean containment board.
Can't stump the trump amirite? Keep fighting the good fight against those SJWs!
>>
>>81496642
>/pol/ is here because of the SJW writers and artists infecting comic books and spewing their garbage.
You sure showed them!
Keep up the good work!
>>
>>81496693
>>81496698
Please leave, tumblr.
>>
>>81496669
there's more literary fantasy out there, you can trace a genealogy of it from pre-1500s English/medieval literature to Tolkien to Jorge Borges (although most argue he's magical realism to avoid the moniker of fantasy, despite his stories fitting the qualifications of fantasy)

you should actually check out Ficciones by Borges. It's really good collection of short stories
>>
>>81496504
>i tune in to fox news.
why?
>>
>>81496752
>>81496751
>>81496745
>>81496727
>doesn't actually deny it, just gets upsets and tells me to leave
Fucking kek
>>
>>81496756

please leave, /pol9k/
>>
>>81496756
Fuck, how did you know where I'm from? Is it because I didn't agree with you? Please show me how I'm allowed to think! I want to fit in on 4chan just like you!
>>
>>81496764
I was talking about bad fantasy, not a good one. Pratchet can't be the lowest common denominator beacause there are many fantasy books both more popular and worse than his.
>>
>>81496632
Seriously. The people who bitch about people who bitch are just as annoying and baity as the people who bitch
>I do reallize I'm complaining about people complauning about people complaining
>>
>>81496789
>durr you mad haha xD i troll you
Trolling used to require some degree of subtlety but go ahead, have fun however you can I guess. You're coming pretty close to embarrassing yourself on an anonymous image board, if that's even possible. Are the (You)s the only thing that brings you any joy in life?
>>
>>81496809
>>81496795
>>81496789
>>81496779
>>81496756
>>81496752
>>81496751
You people should just fuck off.
>>
>>81496813
maybe i spend too much time on /lit/ but all the pratchett readers are redditors, and those are dudes who read vonnegut and rowling as high literature, so its informed my opinion of his works that I've read
>>
>>81492849
>but sjw's and autists
So like 98% of /co/?
>>
>>81496857
My fellow Tumblr users, the evil racist 4chan users used their expert sleuthing skills to find out that we're really anarchocommunists fighting to destroy the cis straight white patriarchy! RETREAT!
>>
>>81496856
You still haven't refuted anything I said, fag. Just whined about /pol/ even though /pol/ has nothing to do with what's going on in the actual comics. Are you actually going to try to deny Marvel isn't rife with SJWs/feminists/racebaiters, etc.? And that these animals inject their horrid beliefs and politics into the books they write?
>>
>>81496857
Low-effort shitposting. Sad!
>>
>>81496921
XD
>>
>>81496919
>>
>>81496789
>implying there's anything to deny
Kate Leth is writing a fucking Marvel book, of course SJWs are in the industry. Faggots like you just add fuel to their already deeply troubled fire by being their scapegoat.
You're bizzarro versions of the very things that you hate, and you're too busy memeing to even notice.

You're not helping anything, you're just cancer to everything you touch. It's almost time for /tv/ to get spammed with nigger dicks and 'cuck' threads because that's just /pol/'s handiwork.
>>
>>81495480
not to mention he's a martial arts master
>>
>>81496968
>Faggots like you just add fuel to their already deeply troubled fire by being their scapegoat.
Oh well then please tell me what we should do besides nothing.
>>
>>81497013
acting like humongous faggots in ways parallel to other humongous faggots is worse than doing nothing
>>
>>81496840
I made other posts, but that fuck made te second post of the thread asking why people were hating on Black Panther when no one was and it turned into this shitstorm, instead of talking about the book, I'm not bitching, I'm calling him a retard.
>>
>>81496922
I already told you to work on your shitposting, but judging by your reply you actually seem to be getting rather upset. Are you new to this sort of thing? I can give you some more pointers if you can take a deep breath.
>>
File: XG2bG9L.jpg (167 KB, 1024x887) Image search: [Google]
XG2bG9L.jpg
167 KB, 1024x887
>>81497047
>>
>>81497013
Vote with your dollars like you're supposed to, retard.
>>
>>81497082
>still nothing
Adorable.
>>
>>81497088
Fuck! He caught me again! How do they always know? He even knew about my cuckold fetish!
>>
>>81497088
>muh false dichotomy
>muh paranoia
>muh impotent anonymous internet rage

teenager spotted
>>
>>81496642
>/pol/ is here because of the SJW writers and artists infecting comic books and spewing their garbage.

Yeah no, this is normal /co/ get use to it.
>>
>>81497063
I was talking about the guy who made the second post. People that go
>hurr durr it's gonna be so hard to disscuss this XD
piss me off just as much as the people theyre talking about. I didn't mean you
>>
>>81491355
Theres gonna be a shit storm because its a non white writer starting out on a non white character.

Thats it. All the other bullshit people are bitching about. About it being pandering or he only got the job because hes black...thats all entirely bullshit. I'm not saying it isn't true. I'm saying the outrage is bullshit.

For example you don't hear anyone complaining about power girls original costume. Of course not they love it, shes got huge tits exposed and its pretty revealing and hot over all. Why would anyone complain its a cool costume and she looks hot in it. It's fucking stupid logically but this is comic books who cares about logic. The explanation for the boob window makes no sense but that isn't the fucking point (it really isnt) because these are people designed to be attractive, theyre fucking super heroes. This is us straight dudes being pandered to. It's totally fine, its been done in shit since shit began. It is a design choice built to appeal to a demographic. In this case bitches with big tits. There are a number of characters like this. Hot scantily clad heroines. Your hardcore lifelong comic fan is completely cool with them as they should be. Even though that is pandering. They are being pandered to.

The only time anybody gives a fuck about pandering is when it isn't them or what theyre used to. Having a straight white dude write a comic with a character designed to appeal to straight white dudes can't be bad because they are okay with being catered to. But if someone writes something for bitches, or fags, or blacks or browns or yellow folk...well what the fuck man. Then its an invasion taking away all the goodies they've enjoyed their whole life.

Just because it's pandering doesnt mean the writing isn't going to be good or that the comic is gonna suck. but that doesnt make a difference because people here will bitch regardless and bitch bitch bitch all day long about how pandering is ruining the medium....except when its for them.
>>
>>81497088
not a normal person
>>
>>81497118
That's a bit better, you're definitely learning. Maybe use a smug reaction image next time. Then you might actually bait people! Hope this helps.
>>
>>81497123
That childish shit doesn't really work here you know. You just come off as a huge faggot.
>>
>>81497144
oh ok read your post wrong.
>>
>>81497123
We always knew, anon.

>>81497134
Projection spotted.
>>
>>81496483
I'll be honest i'm a spic and have loved comics since I was a kid. so i got no issue 'relating' to shit. but your statement its just SJW's is simply wrong. I hear plenty of fuckers here and on general sci fi shit like the force awakens saying they should keep main characters mostly white because the larger demographic of sci-fi fantasy and comic fans are white guys.

So white people don't just not give a shit altogether. Some very clearly do even if your or most don't.
>>
>>81497219
I'll be honest, I confused myself writing it
>>
>>81497196
>That childish shit doesn't really work here you know
Neither to strawman images meant to villianize anyone that disagrees with you.

High school girls are more creative than that.
>>
>>81497161
Marvel said they wanted black people writing black characters led comics books and also woman writing woman led books.

David Walker got Power Man and Iron Fist and Nighthawk.

Coates got Black Panther.

----

Most of the woman led books are written by women.

It was forced, even if they are good writers, I'm liking what Walker is doing, I don't know anything about Coates so I'll have to read the book first.
>>
>>81497161
>Theres gonna be a shit storm because its a non white writer starting out on a non white character.
>Thats it.
Nice try, faggot. /co/ loves Priest's Black Panther, which was a black guy writing a black character. But this asshole isn't Priest. He's obsessed with race and never wrote a comic before. It's going to be shit.
>>
>It's a "/pol/ is triggered again" thread

Oh wait that's every thread. It must be tiring, constantly looking for things to get offended by.
>>
>>81497222
What the fuck is projecting about him noting that that image represents a false dichotomy (if you complain about /pol/tards you're really a SJW) and paranoia (the idea that SJWs are invading and disguising themselves as regular 4chan users in an attempt to spread a ridiculously politically correct ideology)?
>>
>>81497161
>Having a straight white dude write a comic with a character designed to appeal to straight white dudes can't be bad because they are okay with being catered to.

I'm pretty sure that people were bitching about exactly this since at least a decade.
>>
>>81497299
If /co/ was around during the Priest run I guarantee you it would have been hated here
>>
>>81497316

Oh fuck off. You only seem to care when /pol/ gets triggered but when SJWs get triggered, you think that their concerns are legit when they are not.
>>
>>81492544
How is this fucking possible.
>>
>>81497347
>I don't know what projecting means XD
>>
>>81497289
>Neither to strawman images meant to villianize anyone that disagrees with you.

But its okay when its /pol/?
>>
>>81497295
Perhaps they should hire Chernobyl victims to write X-Men.
>>
>>81497376
Feel free to assume whatever you want, I know you're literally choking on your own limpwristed internet outrage. Like some fat dyke tumblrtard. Except she probably showered today, and you probably have bigger tits.
>>
It's all /pol/ this and tumblr that. Why don't you assholes get over yourself and realise that this is all your own doing, /co/. /pol/ and tumblr do not care about you as a whole. There's no invasion, and if there is one, it's usually /b/ who starts it.
>>
>>81497256
And there are people like that ofc, but a lot of 4chan is just trolling or hating for the sake of hating, people hate on every fucking thing here.

Americans just don't give a shit about anything else most of the times, look at books set outside the US either, every time they make an UK book its cancelled because it doesn't sell, it has to be either space or NY.

I'm talking about reasonable people that read a book and access if its good or not, instead of looking at a cover and reading it because of the gender or skin colour, retards that do what you said will always exist though and we can't do anything about it, but those exist in every colour, but I'm guessing most comic book readers in the US are White so you end up getting more people with that attitude from that in terms of comics group.
>>
>>81497407
That image strawmans everyone who criticizes /pol/ as being an SJW. People who criticize /pol/ are a group with a much broader spectrum of beliefs than /pol/lacks. An image that mocks /pol/ makes sense because it's attacking a specific group. An image that stereotypes everyone that criticizes /pol/ as belonging to another group (SJWs) doesn't make sense because the group it's attacking is too broad to be pigeonholed into that category.
>>
>>81497295
>Coates got Black Panther.
Which makes no fucking sense considering Black Panther is a character from a fictional country in Africa which was retconned to be the most xenophobic country on Earth thanks to Hudlin turning it into WE WUZ KINGS - the country. In fact, any racism shit would be completely out of place in this book
>>
>>81496092
So, /co/ is pissed that a guy who clearly loves comics, is somewhat of an scholar on african culture and history and has won the fucking Macarthur Fellow Prize is writing Black Panther?
>>
>>81497461

I'll feel free to do so, after all, I don't see anyone here complaining about the state of /co/ when SJWs were running rampant. Only when someone who's "/pol/" supposedly opens their mouth, do I see posts about the state of /co/ being shit.
>>
>>81497295

It all makes me giggle because Black Panther was started by an old Jewish dude.
>>
>>81495296
A non-fiction writer you idiot. He's never written a comic book in his life, that's my point.
>>
>>81497295
Like I said i dont deny its a thing. Because it very clearly is a thing. If you read my post that isn't my point. My point is people only give a fuck about pandering when it is other people being pandered to.
>>
>>81492801
Video game reviewers are by far the fucking worst because it's a bunch of loser men and women who failed to make it as real reviewers who have no interest in being anywhere near half-decent at the shit they play.

The Souls series was a fart in the wind until it became an epic meme to talk about how 'HARDCORE AND DIFFICULT WOW SO COOL' it was then lo and behold the 10s started rolling out like candy. Unless a game is absolute shit, the scores will be aligned to how the public perceives the game, not how the game actually is. It's why so many mediocre AAA games are getting free 90+ despite shit gameplay, story, and level design.
>>
>>81497517
That is what I meant up there when I said, this book shouldn't be about that, Black Panther isn't American, he isn't a minority, you don't need to make up an issue he doesn't have. Still the books seems to be a political book about problems in Wakanda itself, at least from the solicits it seems to be that.
>>
>>81497362
Whereas I can guarantee you that most of /co/ only read Priest's run because it was recommended to them by someone else on /co/.
>>
>>81497407
Google victim complexes, and false dichotomy.
>>
>>81497517
Coates has actually said wakanda and the whole black panther thing is a black nationalist fantasy.

And that part of what he wants to write about is this crazy dichotomy of wakanda even existing.

Also just for some background on Coates not hating white people like a ton of people in this thread think he does, he said he would have owned slaves if he could have in antebellum south and that actual race has nothing to do with man made racism.
>>
>>81496669
genre fiction is the lowest common denominator of literature, mate

you should know that
>>
>Come into thread
>An entire thread of whining about how 'evil 4chan' is going to whine about a comic

Jesus /co/ is such a fucking shitshow. Are you all women are just complete pussies? Because every other damn post in here is "Siiiiiiiiiigh, I sure can't wait for 4chan to freak out about this comic and bitch almost as much as I am right now. Siiiiiiiigh"

Fucking christ and you wonder why people call you /co/mblr. Suck it up.
>>
>>81497661
He was saying that Pratchet is lowest common denom of genre fiction, which is not true because there are plenty of lower common denominators out there.
>>
>>81491229
The board allows anonymous posting.

Thus people post the word "nigger."

This attracted a lot of 12 year olds who posted the word "nigger" because they thought it was funny and edgy.

This attracted a lot of racists, who unironically think 4chan is a white supremacist site and look up to the mental capacity of 12 year olds.

See: /pol/, /tv/, /v/, and so on.
>>
>>81497674
>Are you all women or just complete pussies

Whoops.
>>
>>81497525
Because SJWs aren't ruining /co/, they're infesting the comics industry and comics journalism.

Whiny faggots like you who won't stay in their containment board are ruining /co/
>>
>>81497544
Dude they let CM fucking Punk write. I'll take an award winning journalist over that kinda shit regardless if its race pandering. Guy at least seems fucking smart.
>>
>>81497704
>IT'S EVERYONE ELSE'S FAULT
Nigga please
>>
>>81497712
>Because SJWs aren't ruining /co/, they're infesting the comics industry and comics journalism.

Won't they ruin /co/ by ruining comics though?
Not that anon by the way.
>>
>>81497712
>if you complain about shitty comics on a comics board then YOU are the problem here!
tumblr-logic 101.
>>
>>81497748
Just to sell books, Bunn is probably the one actually writing it, Punk is in the gym getting his ass kicked and injured.
>>
>>81497704
>This attracted a lot of racists, who unironically think 4chan is a white supremacist site and look up to the mental capacity of 12 year olds.
reminder that there are people that literally argued the swastikas on habbo hotel were fueled by a legitimate endorsement of white supremacy
>>
>>81497712

And what are you doing about it other than whining about /pol/? Sure, /pol/'s no better whining at the whiners, but you're whining about the whiners whining about the whiners.

At the end of the day, SJWs are getting what they want and there's nothing you can do about it because you're too busy whining at /pol/ while they're too busy whining at SJWs. You really want to do some damage? What ever it is, it involves NOT posting on /co/ and actively doing something. But of course, like /pol/, you're not going to do that.
>>
>>81497793
Gee I don't know, maybe if there weren't so many insecure racists and juvenile shitposters, we could discuss the medium & its history without everyone spouting the hot new meme. cuck pandering cuck cuck sjw cuck shill cuck degeneracy cuck
>>
>>81497523
I'm pissed because he hasn't written a fucking comic or worked his way up to get to his position. I've watched a lot of wrestling, does that mean I should headlining WrestleMania because clearly I'm a huge wrestling nerd? No of course not.

Same here. If he wants to write comics he should do what most people have to do: self-publish and do indie comics, build up a portfolio first.
>>
>>81497849
and you're whining about me "whining about the whiners whining about the whiners"

checkmate faggot. except i've been playing checkers the whole time.
>>
File: 294px-Reinhard_arrow_(DVD-CA).jpg (36 KB, 294x221) Image search: [Google]
294px-Reinhard_arrow_(DVD-CA).jpg
36 KB, 294x221
>>81496019
>and would an advanced society tolerate a monarch?

Its the only feasible option.
>>
>>81491193
Wait WWEO isn't out tomorrow? Damn. But I'm looking forward to both BP and WWEO.
>>
>>81497863
Maybe if SJW didn't infest comic books and reviews juvenile racists wouldn't be drawn to /co/ discussions because there would be nothing for them to discuss?
>>
>>81497674
>triggered
>>
>>81497919

I never denied that. We're all shitposting faggots here. After all, where do you think you are?
>>
>>81497863
>we could discuss the medium & its history
What is there to discuss about the medium? How it's been dying for the past decade leading to companies throwing out life preservers in every fucking direction as they try to save themselves and watching them fail each and every time?
>>
>>81497914
>Same here. If he wants to write comics he should do what most people have to do: self-publish and do indie comics, build up a portfolio first.

Yeah, just like CM Punk or Orson Scott Card or Max Landis or Damon Lindelof or Brad Meltzer or or or oh wait that's NEVER been the case
>>
>>81497954
>implying he's wrong
>>
>>81492558
Ewing is doing a great job with Ultimates. Why would you want to change that?
>>
>>81497974
I don't know I just come here for the storytimes mostly.

/pol/ amuses me, I will admit.
>>
>>81497997
CM Punk wrote comics?
>>
>>81497984

This. The SJW bullshit is the just the icing on the shitcake. Badly written stories, events up the wazoo, too many reboots, comic sales getting worse, etc. At this pint, you're better off writing a book for a publisher or making your own webcomic series as opposed to wanting a gig on a dying industry.
>>
>>81498073

Yeah, atm the Storytimes are the only reason I'm here.

And maybe filename threads.
>>
>>81498127
Storytimes and the Win-O, I should say actually

to be completely honest, the autists who sperg over every new cgi kids movie or cartoon network show in the endless general threads just bum me out. At least my hobby is catered towards manchildren, not regular children thank you very much.
>>
>>81497947
There was nothing to discuss either way/ /pol/ is literally whining about nothing
>>
>>81498081
He wrote a Thor Annual, and he's doing the Drax series.
>>
File: Batman Breakfast.jpg (89 KB, 932x611) Image search: [Google]
Batman Breakfast.jpg
89 KB, 932x611
>>81491144
It'll be a nice change of pace from the massive shit storm this board has been throwing for the past two weeks.
>>
>>81497914
To be fair, that happens a lot. That method got us Dial H, if nothing else.
>>
>>81498216
But they whined about nothing a bit less before they were baited by female Thor and that one Wonder Woman comic with "mansplaining".
>>
>>81497997
MOST you pedantic faggot. Guess what? I'm not a fan of them getting jobs writing books either due to their name alone. Even if they produce something good ala Kevin Smith's Green Arrow that doesn't mean I like that they got to write something because they're a "big star". Comics in general seem ashamed of what they are and especially in the last 15 years have been doing anything possible to be anything but. There's a massive inferiority complex it has with other media which makes the fact that they tout people like this even more shameful. "L-Look, we have a popular wrestler or popular internet personality writing for us! A-A-Are we cool yet? W-W-We have a respected literary writer writing our comics. Y-You think that... that we're intellectual r-r-right?" Fuck off with that garbage.

Humphries may be a shit writer but at least he actually went and self-published and networked and did the hustling required to get notice, build a portfolio and get Marvel to look at that portfolio.
>>
>>81498186
Win-O has gone to shit though with the spammer.
>>
>people getting asshurt about Coates' BP LITERALLY before they've read any of it
I understand contempt for agenda-writing in general, but how about we give this a chance before judging it?
>>
>>81498322
They weren't "baited" they bitched about nothing, enough with the bullshit "Jews and SJWs are out to get an anonymous image board on the internet" theory
>>
>>81498498
>they bitched about nothing

I'm pretty sure they bitched about specific comics.
>>
>>81498322
Miles Morales was the beginning of the end of this board, desu.
>>
>>81498336
You think that type of cronyism/favoritism & pulling in "outside big names" for headlines and sales is exclusive to comics, which is funny.

You're using Humphries as an example of doing it "the right way", which is hilarious.

I'm pretty glad that your opinions on any industry will never matter in any way, shape, or form
>>
>>81497299
Shit today aint like shit back then. Back then faggots on either end were less whiny about the race or gender of whoever the fuck was writing the book. they just wanted a reprieve from the lack of talent in from the 90s.
>>
>>81498604

and before that it would have been Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel

and before that it would have been John Stewart as Green Lantern

no matter what decade, spergs gonna sperg I guess
>>
>>81498336
Then that means you're a faggot who gives a shit about shit that has nothing to do with how good the book is.

If you wanna have a hair up your ass fine, continue feeling downtrodden like the mewling whiner you are. Me i'll read a book and if its shit I wont read issue 2 and if it's quality i'll keep reading regardless of how the writer got there.
>>
>>81498798
>Me i'll read a book and if its shit I wont read issue 2 and if it's quality i'll keep reading regardless of how the writer got there.

what is this madness? don't you know none of use actually read comics, we just bitch about the industry?
>>
File: sjw mask.png (72 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
sjw mask.png
72 KB, 501x585
>>81497088
>>
>>81496205
Hudlin left a bad taste for the panther.
>>
>>81498405
But nearly nobody is getting asshurt over it. It's people getting asshurt at the possibility of people getting asshurt over Coates' BP
>>
>>81498336
Why is Humphries portfolio more legit than Coates
>>
awwwww yeeaah
>>
>>81491280

its getting so easy to spot white people its not even funny anymore.

you fuckers literally say the same line over and over with slight variations.
>>
>>81491193
>>81491229
>>81491332
>>81491404
>>81491705
>>81493158
>>81497704
>and people still think /co/ isn't literally tumblr

they should just rename this board "/co/ - Cuckoldry" because THAT'S LITERALLY ALL IT IS ANYMORE.
>>
>>81503533
Mind your caps and keep autism to a minimum plz.
>>
>>81498338
There's more than one spammer actually, and adding to how shit Win-O' is the filehost wars.
>>
>>81491229
They don't actually.
Pretending to be a racist is the new version of being an edgy hipster, and it's funny to watch people overreact to you pretending to be racist.
In real life they're probably not especially concerned with race, and more importantly too much of a pussy to actually be racist outside of the context of an anonymous image board.

Remember, we aren't all on 4chan because we're all well-adjusted individuals who fit in, especially here on /co/. Quite the opposite really.
>>
File: boogeyman.jpg (1 MB, 1614x1080) Image search: [Google]
boogeyman.jpg
1 MB, 1614x1080
>>81491144
>>
File: 1440155349069.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1440155349069.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
>>81498968
>>
>>81498336
you sound like a fag t b h
Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.