[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finish the general plot >now have to write the MC's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1459818500786.jpg (38 KB, 663x579) Image search: [Google]
1459818500786.jpg
38 KB, 663x579
>finish the general plot
>now have to write the MC's friends,girlfriend, and social interactions
>had none of those
What do /co/?
>>
>>81487734
read more, like normal people do.
>>
>>81487734
If you wrote them as inconsequential to the plot, why include them?
>>
>>81487734

Have him be a friendless loner like you.
>>
>>81487734
Only add what is absolutely needed in the story. Forced relationships usually weaken a story.
>>
File: 1459803674510.png (21 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459803674510.png
21 KB, 640x640
>have to write about purpose in life
>never had one
>>
>>81487926
This.

If you have a plot that doesn't require them, cut them.

If they are required and you don't understand how they're going to work, you haven't by definition finished the general plot. You don't even have an outline.

If on the other hand you're dead set on including relationships you need to do two things: first, justify them in the text. You need to absolutely pin down what these people do and why they are important to the story you are telling. I know you've probably got a great dentist and maybe he goes down on you while the hygienist is cleaning your teeth, but I probably don't need to hear about that in the story of your career as a nascar driver. The second thing you need to do - that you specifically need to do - is prove to yourself that you're not just looking for these relationships in real life and using sitting at a screen staring into the void as a crutch for avoiding reality. Go outside, meet people, do things. Get it wrong. Nobody cares. If they did we'd all still be up in the trees holding our heads in our paws and weeping.

A good test of that is dialogue. Write some dialogue between these characters. Tangential stuff; not filler, but things that aren't directly spewing wads of exposition over your innocent little rump and could still add to the plot by driving tension or defining the strengths and weaknesses of characters and their relationships. If you find yourself writing a lot of one sort of scene you probably just crave that kind of relationship, so let's hope you don't end up with a final draft folder full of half finished rape-ghost scenes.

Good luck.
>>
What kind of general plot is this where you're not already thinking about that? Character interaction is the main part of like 90% of fiction.
>>
>>81488642
Wow, im not op but was really helpful. Thanks for the tip
>>
>>81488345
>Have this essay in college.
>Don't really have a purpose.
>Make up story how I just want to help people and do good things.
>Sudden massive guilt the day before it was due for some reason.
>Staple piece of line paper with rushed scribbled "That's a lie, I have no purpose and it really scares me, but here's an essay I wrote anyway." On the back.
>Get paper back with teacher's comment asking if I was ok and to see her after class.

I never did. I wasn't ok.

Oh well.
>>
>>81489018
There was 14% chance you could have gotten some comfort pussy

Remember that
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.