[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jurgens confirms New 52 Superman exists in Rebirth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
(Assuming he's not bullshitting us, I guess).

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/04/05/classic-action-dan-jurgens-returns-to-superman-in-action-comics

>We’re restoring the original numbering for Action Comics in June. What issue will your story be starting at?

Issue #957.

>What can you tell us about it?

If you’ve been reading Superman: Lois and Clark, then you’ve seen that we brought back the pre-Flashpoint Superman. He’s married to Lois Lane, they have a young son named Jon, and we find out they’ve been here for years living in secrecy. This new Action Comics is us fully integrating them into the world of Metropolis and the world of Superman in general.

When the book starts off, Lex Luthor has pretty much proclaimed himself the Superman of Metropolis. Well, our Superman knows Luthor’s history on his own world and will never trust him or buy into the idea of him as a hero. Meanwhile, someone has found and released Doomsday on the city, and it’s all complicated by the fact that Clark Kent is very obviously running around in Metropolis. The whole world has learned that Clark and Superman are one and the same, but suddenly they seem to be two separate people, so that can no longer be the case. We start to really build this entire mystery of “Who is Clark Kent?” while at the same time bringing plenty of the “action” the title promises as you only can with Doomsday.

(cont'd)
>>
>How closely will your book be tied with the bimonthly Superman title?

Superman is being written by Pete Tomasi and Pat Gleason, and we’re going to be making sure that our characterization is consistent with theirs and that as events move along, they reflect one another. It’s not going to be like what we did in the old days, so to speak, but they’re going to be running parallel with each other and featuring the same characters.

>Will new readers who haven’t been reading Superman: Lois and Clark (even though they should be!) be able to pick up the first issue after Rebirth and understand it?

Absolutely! Even though it’s ACTION COMICS #957, we’re really writing it like it’s an issue #1. That’s what you have to do on something like this to be fair to everybody. Longtime readers who have been enjoying Superman: Lois and Clark will want to see this next chapter, and at the same time, we’ll fill new readers in on what’s been happening.
>>
I hate this idea. Just retcon Clark's identity being known and start from there.
>>
>>81487043
I don't mind them actually doing things with it in the meantime instead of leaving us with a full "what if" feeling. If it ends up being cool in the long run it'll be like the marriage where people do want it back and it if sucks then it will just get buried and forgotten. Just how it goes.
>>
So what I'm hearing is that you are basically taking the old superman and starting him while the new superman sits on the bench.
>>
>>81487043
What in the fucking hell is it that all these cape comics have the heroes identities being out? Honestly I gave up on comics when The Other happened and I remember hearing about when Spidey unmasked himself being even worse than that, and now ALL of them are being known now and people are treating it like it isn't a big deal. Like the whole reason these people have flashy costumes and wacky names are because 1. they're from a different time and 2. they do it so nobody can go after their families.
>>
>>81487173
In the Superbooks yeah, but I would be surprised if the new 52 one isn't the one in the team books. I guess we'll see.
>>
Wasn't it always obvious? PC Superman's role will be to give us Jon and conceal n52 Supes' identity once again, along with there being a finale to the PC Superman, like Whatever happened was.
>>
>>81486955

>long winded explanation to bring back status quo.pdf
>>
>>81486955
Jimmy looks really happy about that Supes ass shot.
>>
>>81486955

I am so confused.
>>
>>81487043
Yeah he should just make a deal with the devil to fix all his problems.

Fuck off.
>>
>>81487252
>What in the fucking hell is it that all these cape comics have the heroes identities being out

I think it's just the Idea that it's really hard to keep a secret now. Art imitating life/slash how is a writer supposed to convincingly sell that through all the public exposure a super hero gets that he or she could keep it secret. I mean I think the "glasses thing was laughable in the 70's but you could go along with it because it's Supes thing. But now with people recording things all the time and the way we share info how do you make people believe that no one would figure this out eventually. Just look at all the criminals that have been caught because of social media. And that's just some insurance scam ahole who forgot to put on his neck brace while checking the mail or something. No one at any time is going to notice Clark or Peter flying or swinging out of their apartment window eventually.

I don't know if you've read Lois and Clark but like a back ground piece of the story is Clark going through these extreme measures to keep his identity a secret and even then you get to see his like 10 year old son slowly put it together.
>>
>>81487908
Even though Vandal Savage and his minions figured it out by stalking Clark, that aspect of the reveal was really kind of brushed aside. The plot itself as it actually played out didn't play much with the idea that people would have found out eventually.

Though I think in execution they did somewhat justify the secret identity idea by having all of Clark's friends get kidnapped by the government and Lois needing Metallo as a bodyguard.
>>
I know this is autistic as fuck, but I really hate that they are counting the new 52 issues as part of their total issue count.
>>
>>81488611
Why WOULDN'T they count them?
>>
>>81488611

Why wouldn't they? It's been done with tons of other series when they hit big milestones, both Marvel and DC.
>>
>>81488655
>>81488666

Yeah I know, I just think they should be renumbered to issue 909-959 or whatever issue numbers they would normally be. It bothers me when Marvel does it too.
>>
>>81488666
>>81488655

I guess its also because they were so close to having runs that were straight #1 to #1000 without any breaks, but now they will forever have the little astrix.
>>
>>81488749
It was still 52 issues of Action Comics, who cares if they renumbered it
>>
>>81488715
I kind of like it better this way because it's like they're admitting the mistake of renumbering at #1 to begin with
>>
>>81488769
>>81488778
look, i even said I know it was autistic, there would just be something so right and amazing about Detective and Action comics have issues numbered #1 to #1000 without any interruptions
>>
>>81486955

Why is Hal there???

He has never been close to Superman. onder Woman is part of the trinity, and batman is his best friend. But Hal??
>>
Okay, I don't understand the New 52 reboot.

So, superman of the pre flashpoint world didn't merge with his new self in the reboot, but everyone else did? You would think Barry Allen, the man who is pretty much responsible for the damn thing to at least have memories of his past life if Old52 Superman could somehow be in the new world
>>
>>81489966
No, you're misunderstanding things. Flashpoint still exists as you believed it to have happened.

Convergence explains the two Supermen and I'll try to explain it to you, but the main story was really bad so it's hard to make sense of it (many of the tie-ins were enjoyable though).

In Convergence it was revealed that multiversal Brainiac took versions of characters from old continuities out of time before their worlds became destroyed (think of them as copies if that helps you) and put them in domes like how he usually does with cities. Near the end of that story pre-Flashpoint Superman and his family, Parallax Hal, and COIE Barry and Kara stopped COIE*. After that those characters were sent to the new 52 main universe while the other Convergence characters were sent to their native universes.

*Note: this part is particularly dumb and doesn't mean anything useful besides including it as an excuse for an infinite multiverse being back; it's also wholly redundant if you read Multiversity because Morrison basically said there was more out there already beyond just the 52 Earths in the local multiverse
>>
>>81490297
So did Hal, Barry, and Kara (from those timelines) ever show up in the New 52-verse?
>>
>>81489622
Just let the poor man be on the cover, he's getting kicked out of everything else
>>
>>81490297
Well that sounds really bad. It really just sounds like people are hyped for it simply because they don't like the new52, more specifically new52 superman
>>
File: gl47.jpg (2 MB, 994x4584) Image search: [Google]
gl47.jpg
2 MB, 994x4584
>>81490520
Parallax Hal showed up in GL 47-50
>>
>>81490520
Parallax Hal was in Green Lantern and I think the Telos mini. We haven't seen Barry and Kara though.

>>81490570
Lois and Clark has been kin d of ok and also pretty boring, but that's less about the concept and more about Jurgens. I do think anyone particularly hyped is more hyped for the reasons you state though than the idea that this run is going to do anything great.
>>
File: grid-cell-26954-1368201841-22.jpg (112 KB, 490x475) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-26954-1368201841-22.jpg
112 KB, 490x475
>>81487908
That's dumb, people can barely recognise famous stars. Superheroes wouldn't be any different since they wear masks.

Do you know who this is?

It's a famous female actress, it's Zooey Deschanel without her bangs

Why cant people believe superman and clark kent are different people again?
>>
>>81487252
Secret identity's are stupid.

A public hero cannot be anonymous .

No one knew Superman had a secret id, and no one knows what Batman is period.

Outside that, secret ids are very rarely justified
>>
>>81491603
that's retarded
>>
>>81491603
You're right. everyone should know who every hero is. That way, they can potentially harm their loved ones!
>>
>>81491662
Batmans primary weapon is being a mysterious Boogeyman in the shadows, who no one knows who or what he is for sure. He is a nyktomorph a shadow in the night.

Superman is a public figure. Everyone knows him as Kal El, the alien humanintarian.

Diana is public as Diana of Themescyria, the ambassador

Secret identities are stupid, but covert identities work.

No one should accept a "hero" who is anonymous. A public servant cant be a private vigilante.

Like if Obama secretly goes out with a fake beard for cheezedogs thats okay, but no one is electing a guy in a mask as potus.

Green Lantern espeically. The dude is an agent of a foreign power acting on our soil, and he wears a fucking mask? Thats a no sell.

Flash as well, he should have stayed public.

Manhunter obviously doesnt have that issue.

And Cyborg is publicaly Victor Stone.
>>
>>81491941
You sound like the cape version of those guys that get butthurt about sources that aren't publicly outed
>>
>>81491893
That was always a bulmshit excuse, a writers justification to keep it going.

The Fantastic Four, X Men,Avengers and the majority of Marvel heroes work out fine that way.

Hell any public figure deals with that. Fucking cops deal with that.

Secret ids are for vigilantes, extralegal actors who tale the
>>
>>81490802
I saw James Hetfield in Uruguay once.
I was 4 meters from him eating for more than 45 minutes i didnt recognized the guy until i saw his Arm tattoos.
>>
>>81492010
>Marvel heroes
Wow, it's almost as if the Marvel Universe operates differently than the DC universe!
>>
...the law into there own hand, like Zorro.

As a public hero you cannot be a man in a mask,

Or of you do, you need to have folks know who you are underneath.

A secret id is such cowardly unheroic selfish bulmshit, that no one would tolerate if it wasnt for plot armor.

Marvel rightfully phased them out mostly.

If you have a secret
>>
Id, it needs to be secret, like Superman's

Sorry the submit button is close to the keyboard in clover>>81492052
It shouldnt unless they have fundamental human nature and people acting as actual people beeing different.
Dc humans arent aome special alien from marvel humans, people are people, and having them act stupidly to serve your stupid plot is shitty writing.
>>
>>81492131
>>81492131
Okay then, do this for me. Would Central and Keystone city be ANY different if they knew that Barry Allen was The Flash? Would Coast City be any different if it was public Knowledge that Hal Jordan was the Green Lantern?
>>
>>81492204
Depends on the writer.

But accepting a man in a mask eith a superweapon that answers to an alien power around you is not something someone should be okay with.

Masked vigilantism crops up when people fear reprisal . Look at Zorro or the Klu Klux Klan. Its not good, or heroic. Unless you are an insurgency it is never justoified.
And anonymous force dolling out there own vision of justice isnt a hero, its a thug.
>>
>>81492337
So it's the fact that people who have done that could've been bad maybe, and not grounded in anything
>>
>>81486955
>Jurgens confirms New 52 Superman exists in Rebirth

Am I missing something? I don't see anything there about the New 52 Superman. There's the bit about the other Clark, but the 2nd Clark is a mystery, so I wouldn't assume that he's New 52 Clark so quickly.
>>
>>81492371
What? its grounded that ananymos
extralegal person using violence on people is totally wrong and people wouldnt and shouldnt stand for it.

A true superhero is public and works at the consent of the governed. Deputized, or an agent of the people, or an NGO like the Red Cross. Or even a private defense agency like Batman Inc or the Avengers.

A lone man going around playing shoot em up punch em up without training super vision or oversight is a villian, not a hero.
>>
>>81492387
How could he any more clearly state that the Clark Kent who got his identity revealed is the one in the story?
>>
>>81492649
But your whole logic has been
>It's okay if THE TRINITY has secrets, but nobody else because reasons
>>
So Nu52 is Clark okay.

So I gues Shazam dies?
>>
>>81492834
That's not really unbelievable, but I think he would get reborn as some big New God or something if they do kill him off. That source manipulation power he has right now seems too OP and it would fit into the stuff Johns was saying about Rebirth having New God and Shazam implications.
>>
>>81492779
Its not really "okay" but the public doesnt KNOW they have secret ids, so its not like the human populace are written poorly to serve plot armor.
>>
>>81493154
>That's not really unbelievable, but I think he would get reborn as some big New God or something if they do kill him off. That source manipulation power he has right now seems too OP and it would fit into the stuff Johns was saying about Rebirth having New God and Shazam implications.

>OP

Johns New Gods are weak as shit.
>>
>>81493853
>source manipulation
>ever not OP

come on man
>>
>>81494141
Johns doesnt get what the source is.
The guy invented the "omega force".
Everything in his mind works like the rings.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 555x644) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 555x644
>>81492072
>>
>>81486955
>The whole world has learned that Clark and Superman are one and the same, but suddenly they seem to be two separate people, so that can no longer be the case.

Fucking sold. It solves the corner they painted themselves into, is a self-homage to Death of Superman, and is pure illogical Silver Age cheese.
>>
So Pre-Flashpoint Superman is now Superman in the main universe while Nu-52 Superman just chills and takes a break?
>>
>literally Ben Rileyd
>literally Kyle Raynerd
>literally Kon-Eld
>literally Connor Hawked
>literally JSAd
>literally ...Wally Westd
>>
>>81486955
>That dick
IS HUUUUUGEEEE
>>
File: 000687.jpg (45 KB, 198x300) Image search: [Google]
000687.jpg
45 KB, 198x300
>>81492337

>comparing Zorro to the KKK
>>
>>81498224
Though one was good and one evil, they were both criminals hiding from the authorities and doling out vigilante "justice"
>>
>BvS
>Jurgens writing Superman

Are supesfags on suicide watch right now?
>>
>>81498397
>Though one was good and one evil

>kkk
>evil
>>
>>81487043
Fuck you. It's a decent premise that could be explored a lot more than it has been.
>>
>>81491893
But anon, that's fucking retarded.
A: They ALREADY went after Superman's friends and loved ones (Lois and Jimmy) back when he had a secret identity
B: Superman obviously keeps a closer eye on his friends/loved ones so it's hard to get the drop on them
C: You're pretty much daring the most powerful person on Earth to murder you if you threaten his family.

It's not a plausible threat.
>>
File: creator00956._QL80_TTD_.jpg (23 KB, 650x575) Image search: [Google]
creator00956._QL80_TTD_.jpg
23 KB, 650x575
>>81489622
>But Hal??

I wonder who could be behind this?
>>
>>81486955
o no no. anon what are you doing? drop it, drop everything related to dc. they dont respect you they dont want you... drop it anon, drop it co/
>>
>>81498439
Jurgens is more mediocre than bad. Tomasi is the one I'm worried about but his Superman 51 preview was ok so maybe it was just SMWW bringing him down.

>>81499133
Pretty much the only one who might be in danger now that wasn't already is Lana. Maybe generally Smallville.
>>
>>81501930
>drop it they're getting rid of the NuMetal52
Yeah imma do the opposite.
>>
>>81498971
>>>/pol/
>>
Since I heard about superman and clark .. separate interpreter who spoke of the 2 versions ...

but people does nothing but confuse me ..

I hope to hear soon about new52 superman(in reviews of action comics) .. not just create a series like TRINITY now and not put the superman who should be.
>>
>>81492010
Yeah is not like x men die everyday,villains attack avenger tower/mansionr is a comic theme for 30 year and Valeria was in danger in hsr birth...
>>
>>81486955
Why does anyone even care at this point? DC has nothing left to offer.
>>
are you kidding?
>>
>>81499133
How about this.

they don't have to help you. they are not obligated to do so. they do so out of the kindness of their heart, and knowing who they are under the mask only means they have no privacy, since you can bet they'll be hounded 24/7. They'd never have a minute off. You'd get Irredeemable
>>
a friend of mine happened to me some information(although I have my doubts):

http://insidepulse.com/2016/04/06/dc-comics-rebirth-spoilers-what-is-dc-rebirth-status-quo-for-wonder-woman-heading-into-wonder-woman-1-justice-league-1-trinity-1/

Seems the New52 superman that will be absent for 6 months, the first 12 numbers of REBIRTH

It is exaggerated, no?
>>
>>81486955
Come on Clark just go ask the Spectre.

Worked out for Wally until he got deleted.
>>
>>81486955
Well no fucking shit, they wouldn't just toss New 52 Supes away, even if they are slowly backpedaling.
>>
>>81510445
I listened to that podcast days ago and Rucka said that Superman wouldn't be in HIS first 12 issues, doesn't have to do with Rebirth as a whole. He said the same about Donna and Cassie and we know Donna is in Titans.
>>
>>81506983
Foolish.
>>
>>81511110
I liked new 52 Superman more than old Superman.
>>
While New 52 has done some great things they really never should have done what they did. There are other ways to introduce new readers than to just try to erase 3 decades worth of history.
>>
>>81516441
I genuinely do like both. I don't think they're much different though besides people projecting age on pre-Flashpoint Superman more (though he wasn't old in his stories, around that murky mid-late 30s that all the heroes his age were since time kept sliding back a little).

>>81516695
It was mostly a marketing ploy (which did work for a while, though we're back to pre-Flashpoint levels of sales). Nothing they did necessitated a continuity wipe.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.