[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that Rebirth is on the horizon, I think it's about time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: The-New-52-B.jpg (337 KB, 1156x893) Image search: [Google]
The-New-52-B.jpg
337 KB, 1156x893
Now that Rebirth is on the horizon, I think it's about time to reflect on the last branding.

So, what did everyone think of The New 52?
>>
A poorly executed mistake, but we're stuck with it, and it's not been all bad.
>>
>>81468023
Greatest single era in the history of the Big Two. The cancelled books and backpedaling prove it.
>>
>>81468089
this is a fair way to put it
>>
I think Snyder's run on Batman has to have been one of the best, most consistently entertaining run of any comic ever.
>>
File: 1458414718570.gif (2 MB, 193x240) Image search: [Google]
1458414718570.gif
2 MB, 193x240
Mostly shit, with a few somewhat decent comics.

> Pic is me when I found out they still aren't bringing the red underwear back for rebirth
>>
>>81468387
Oh come on, this bullshit right at the beginning of the thread?
>>
File: sd64OhO.png (731 KB, 828x615) Image search: [Google]
sd64OhO.png
731 KB, 828x615
>>81469696
> he can't see the sarcasm in the most sarcastic post in the history of 4chan

You'er cancer. Go back to plebbit
>>
>>81469738
autistic people have trouble with sarcasm, anon. Leave the poor guy alone.
>>
>>81468387
It's good to finally have had a writer who understands the Joker and is willing to give us a lot of it!
>>
>>81468023
some good stuff, some bad stuff, some stuff in the middle

so, you know

just like any other given period of cape comics
>>
Batman was good. Except 'Tec. Superman comics found their footing eventually, too, along with Justice League.

Imagine if the internet was around for comics just after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

"What? Superman wasn't Superboy growing up? Lex is some fucking businessman? Jason Todd is a jerk? What's with Hawkman? The Justice League sucks now! Who was asking for these Charlton heroes? Fucking Post-Crisis comics suuuuck!"
>>
>>81469846
This
>>
Snyder's Batman run is the only New 52 book I kept up with near the end.

The New 52 was basically falling apart at the end.
>>
>>81468023
Half good, half bad. All unnecessary.
>>
>>81468023

Some pretty dope shit came out of it and I'm glad it happened either way

I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed what came before
>>
>>81468023
I'll be honest it isn't all shit. But it lacks the lineage of what DC used to be. I'm not a life long dc guy but there are certain things I dig about DC that marvel doesn't have. A sense of dynasty and roots that dig a little deeper in places marvel doesnt. So even though I like some nu52 titles there seems to be a world erased. Specifically the one the JSA inhabit. The idea that in this new universe theres no old timer jay garrick and boxing bruiser wildcat and the rest of the gang there from times past. Instead of the also new earth 2 stuff.

It seems at least to me that theres a piece of the spirit of dc that got kinda lopped off, a piece of its history that is no longer supporting the whole. So its like this bright shiny fresh new looking building but if you get up close you realize the foundations all washed out.

Again I didnt read DC all my life but thats what it seems like to me. Like anything it has good books and bad books but there something that seems hollow about it that makes me wistful for the dc that used to be
>>
Unnecessary.

Felt like 'DC universe lite'. - too much flashy shit (superman wearing armor. What in the actual fuck sticks), not enough history/legacy.
>>
>>81469891
I'd love to see a modern DC universe that had all of its heroes pop up exactly the year they debuted. It'd be interesting to see who's taken up the Bat mantle 70 years after Bruce Wayne was Batman. Like New Frontier "Where are they now" deal. There probably already is something like that, correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>81468023

If you liked D listers New 52 was fantastic. I feel sorry for character fags though
>>
>>81468023

I thought it was the worst thing to ever happen to comics. Then ANAD happened
>>
File: L3ZtwhU.jpg (862 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
L3ZtwhU.jpg
862 KB, 1988x3056
>>81469969
there is indeed already something like that, appropriately named Earth-38
>>
>>81469738
>>81469753
Loving the samefag
>>
>>81470026
Why isn't this expanded on? God dammit.
>>
>>81470135

There's an entire mini series for it, came out forever ago.

It gets worse as it goes along though.
>>
>>81469846
Wish I saved link to those old timey forums and people bitching about same thing we bitch today.
>>
It's what got me into comics
>>
>>81470188
I kind of wish comics would progress in real time like that. It would create such a sense of legacy.
>>
>>81470246

Someone writing a letter in asking how they had the balls to charge a dollar for Batman Earth One due to the "shitty art" which was printed in the back of the issue was fucking hilarious
>>
>>81470306

>Earth One

Year One, goddamnit
>>
For me, a big winner.

I liked the idea of comics but never knew where to get started, new 52 gave me that jump in point. I've now gone back and read a lot of the old (Flash) stuff which is great. I'm ready for Rebirth to start rolling in old continuity.

Best book in New 52 IMO was Aquaman, he was a big winner in the reboot.
>>
>>81470306
Yeah. I remember people being upset over Supergirl and such.
Comicfans will never change.
>>
>>81470351

If only something would come along and shake the very foundations of comic fans forever
>>
>>81468023
About exactly where it was before Flashpoint; some good, a lot bad, some good ending well, some good getting canceled before it had a proper ending.
So literally an average branding for comics.

Financially speaking making or trying to make 52 different comics work was a tremendously stupid idea, and you can't make up with volume what you loose on individual sales because you are making EVERY individual comic book issue at a loss ALREADY, so really all you're doing is loosing even more money per issue.
It's clear that DC Entertainment's management made this decision without a very clear understanding of how the comics market did or didn't work and just assumed that by churning out tons of issues they could make back the money they loose on printing them.
Diane Nelson managed to avoid taking blame for it even since a lot of that shit has to do with her re-structuring the company so she could make the DC comics brand internally successful again, assuming that just because she could do with the Harry Potter novels (which were already international bestsellers by the way) she could do it with comic books.
>>
>>81470378
You mean, hard reset? Really hard reset? For example, Stan Lee's Just Imagine becoming main DC universe and such?
>>
>>81470398

Making fun of Marvel's solicits every time they have a brand new event after saying no more events for a while. "Shake the very foundations of the Marvel universe forever." Forever means three months to those niggas
>>
>>81470417
>events get more and more pointless
>they still sell like hotcakes
Why are comics my hobby and not something like painting?
>>
>>81470461

Just don't buy events, read comics and have other hobbies too, like drawing or sports.
>>
Am I the only one that's been triggered by Cyborg being a founding member of the JL?

Seeing it in comics, the cartoon movies, and now in live action is really triggering the fuck out of me. And I use that word sarcastically. Where the fuck is my martian?
>>
>>81470625

I like Manhunter more but Cyborg in the league never bothered me. My autism went straight for Superman's collar.
>>
>>81470547
I have other hobbies, but comics were my first.
>>
>>81470625
Nah mate. It sucks. He doesn't belong there. He's a Titan. The fact that he's there just for diversity is annoying.

Worst of all, he hasn't even grown into the role. Nothing interesting has happened with Cyborg in the JL.
>>
File: 1444793866473.jpg (110 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
1444793866473.jpg
110 KB, 700x1050
>>81470766
>>
>>81470803
Stop mashing buttons, Billy.
>>
DC is for little kids
>>
well i liked New 52 Animal Man
>>
>>81470340
>Best book in New 52 IMO was Aquaman, he was a big winner in the reboot.
However, every New 52 book has a downside.
>>
>>81468023
Rebirth...you know it well co/ when this kind of shit happens is time to stop buying comics. From marvel after secret barfs i read amazing, gwen, ant-man and deadpool main title, and thats per month. Rebirth after 5 years.. Fuck off dc and there i was praising your new batman movie.
>>
>>81470625
>Where the fuck is my martian?
somebody throw a match at him and he ran crying like a little bitch. find yourself a better hero anon.
>>
A mistake that just won't go away
>>
>>81468023
New 52 was my first taste of DC, and I liked it a lot.
Maybe I just have shit taste?
>>
>>81471939
You aren't characterfag and New 52 didn't rape your childhood.
>>
Swamp thing and animal man was pretty neat. Made me pick up other swamp thing and animal man books.
>>
>>81470340
Remember that month where Aquaman outsold every single Marvel comic? Good times
>>
>>81472100
Actually in September 2011 it outsold all Marvel comics but two (Fear Itself event and Ultimate Comics Spider-Man).
>>
>>81472152
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-02.html
>>
>>81472152
>those Flash numbers
Indeed, power of #1 is big.
>>
>>81472173
Thanks! Marvel that month of 2012 (calm before the storm that is AvX) is as weak as this year's February.
>>
>>81472173
>top twenty
>one Spider-book, two Avengers, five X-books
And it was time when Namor destroyed Great Society's planet.
>>
>>81472197
>And it was time when Namor destroyed Great Society's planet.
Wrong. February 2012 was not yet Marvel NOW.
>>
>>81472216
Oh. Mixed books. What happened then?
>prelude to AvX
>Spider-Man: Fist him!
>Iron Fist: Hate when people say that.
>>81472231
Yeah, I've seen that. Mixed up years and volumes.
>>
>>81468023
I've been admittedly out of the loop for a while now.

Is DC seriously doing ANOTHER reboot? Is it just the New 52 all over again?

I tried to google it and all I can get is marketing terms.
>>
>>81472294
>Is DC seriously doing ANOTHER reboot?
Yes. Superman is reverting to Superboy, Batman will be all Year One, without Robins, we'll read about Diana's childhood on Themyscira and such, Suicide Squad will be main team because Justice League isn't created yet and such.
>>
>>81468023
It got me back into comics and I really enjoyed most of what I read. There were some stinkers, but I honestly feel like the good to bad ratio was better than what it was when I stopped reading back in the late '90s

Paktion Comics
Morrison Action Comics
Azz Wondy
Johns/Parker Aquaman
Most of Johns JL
Nu Shazam
Court of Owls
Manapul Flash
All Star Western and Jonah Hex's only happy ending

There are probably some more I am forgetting. All the events I read were pretty good, too.
>>
>>81471079
I hope you enjoy getting TOASTED, Snyder.
>>
>>81468023
Some good stories.
But I feel like they threw the baby out with the bathwater in Flashpoint. Especially if you're a JSA fan.
>>
File: g1-01-00.jpg (426 KB, 989x1510) Image search: [Google]
g1-01-00.jpg
426 KB, 989x1510
>>81469969
>>81470135
>>81470263
>>
>>81474062
Do you read Convergence or Future's End? The general consensus that the New 52's final few line-wide events are shit.
>>
To all who dislike the New 52: What's the last time, in your opinion, that DC's output could generally be considered "good"?
>>
>>81468023
It was pretty good.

Only nostalgiafags who didn't even read it disliked it.
>>
>>81469791
This
>>
>>81474562
Oh yeah, that one universe where Captain America existed there for some reason.
>>
The only bad thing was not put the old universe in other earth like earth 1 and 2, and have Detective comic , action comic and a brave and the bold to this earth
>>
>>81468023
>So, what did everyone think of The New 52?

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.
>>
>>81474667
inb4 when Wally was alive and Superman wore red trunks.
>>
>>81474667
I liked the Martian Manhunter book by Williams.

I'm interested in some of the rebirth books as well. New 52 feels just like a lame spot where they had to remove all the lore and history for easy movie adaptations.

Kinda like how they'd have to make a Dark Souls movie. Sure you got a guy with a sword fighting things but a lot of the actual soul is kinda gone when you omit all the arcane histories within it. Similarly, Geoff said as much that the DCU doesn't really feel like DC without legacy, so here's hoping whatever happens in the one-shot adds more folds to the universe.
>>
File: Franked.jpg (13 KB, 200x302) Image search: [Google]
Franked.jpg
13 KB, 200x302
>>81468023
It was pretty good in the first few years back when they had good writers but now it feels like everything has fallen.
>walking steryotype Wally
>Snyder's last arc was shit
>Wonderwoman being an idiot
>Justice League: Darkseid vs Anitmonitor had been awful
>shoehoring another fucking Green Lantern when they could bring back Jade of Sodam Yat.
>>
>>81474062
Gotham by midnight
Grayson
Batman and Robin
Animal man
Swamp thing
I vampire
Valentine's Catwoman
Lemire's green arrow
>>
>>81469696
I wasn't joking
I really like Snyder's run, and I still have yet to understand why everyone hates it
>>
You can't piss in a jar and tell me it's granny peach tea.

That's basically the New 52.
>>
>>81470625
People have been bitching about that for five years, anon

There's a thread about it at least every other week too, asking WHY NOT STATIC OR BLACK LIGHTNING OR STEEL AND ALSO MMH IS BLACK
>>
>>81477799
It's still justified and a cheap attempt for synergy. It's like if Marvel shoved Black Widow and Hawkeye onto their Avengers when the movie roster was announced.

Oh wait...
>>
File: oh my sides.png (26 KB, 192x191) Image search: [Google]
oh my sides.png
26 KB, 192x191
>>81471954
Like... Wally West?

Barry>Jay>Bart>Wally
>>
>>81469846
>>81470246
>11 hougs lateg
Here you go
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/net.comics

This one has older posts, but you've gotta use the filter function to find them.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/rec.arts.comics.dc.universe
>>
>>81478063
How did you know I was thinking of Wally?
And I agree with your spoiler.
>>81481040
Thanks. This goes straight to bookmarks.
>>
>>81468023
There were as many good things as bad things. Generally there were about as many well written series as there were well written series before the reboot.

However... It was absolutely ruinous for PR and people's perception of the company. The first 2 years were rife with internal issues, editing clusterfuck's shitty 90s gimmicks, every fucking bad decision possible. The fact that the next 3 years were better generally don't matter. Especially when thats the moment the movies started. Hard to say if they can come back from it
>>
>>81470263
No you don't. Maybe a character or 2, but a superhero universe that operates like this turns into Ultimate Marvel
>>
>>81468023
Had potential but there were so many damn fuck-ups, like moreso than the fuckups that occured after COIE/Byrne's Man of Steel (and there were a lot). At least with the post-COIE DC they managed some type of competency across the board even while Marvel was dominating.

I didn't get that impression with the New 52 as it went along. And I actually liked a bunch of books more than Pre-Flashpoint, at least at first. But things seemed to have gone off the rails for most books at some point. There were some decent DCYou books but the customer confidence was gone.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.