[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Shearer in the right for not participating in this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
Was Shearer in the right for not participating in this?
>>
>>81463721
Who?
>>
In terms of the episode only it doesn't really matter that he wasn't there. He's not one of the Simpson family members and so his absence wasn't particularly noticeable when the main attractions were "Simpsons meet the Griffins! Homer and Peter beat each other the fuck up!"

I don't get why he wanted to TAKE A STAND about this one particular issue when he freely admits Simpsons sucks shit, and yet keeps signing those contracts anyway. What's another couple million for saying some more dumb shit?
>>
>>81463915
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Shearer
>>
I remember when the Simpsons used dynamic angles and had an understanding of scene composition. Looks like lots of bland 3/4th shit now
>>
He wasn't in Krusty Gets Kancelled either.
>>
>>81464031
It's akin to how Ayn Rand lived on welfare in order to prove a point about big government. "The fact that I can milk the system so easily proves that the system is faulty."
>>
You'd have to be sane not to participate in such a horrible idea.
>>
At this point he doesn't do any Simpsons stuff that isn't the show itself, and if they ever make the 2 other movies they're contracted for before all the VAs die, he's contracted for those too. That Inside the Actors Studio interview he did with the other VAs over a decade ago has him talking about how he didn't even want to do the show at first back in '89, so who even knows how much he hates it now.

Also Al Jean obviously doesn't give a fuck whether he stays or goes, and Nancy Cartwright apparently mentioned in her book that he'd never eat lunch with the rest of the cast or anything. So you get the impression it's a pretty mutual dislike there.
>>
>>81463721
The real question is whether Hank Azaria was right to participate in Bordertown.

He was not.
>>
>>81464552
He stopped coming into the studio and insisted on recording his lines from home in about 2003 or so and now he claims he doesn't even read the scripts anymore, just his characters' lines.
>>
>>81464562
god this looks abysmal
>>
File: 1434814286929.gif (2 MB, 466x277) Image search: [Google]
1434814286929.gif
2 MB, 466x277
No, if Shearer wanted to draw the line, he should have done it a decade ago.

If you're going to do Zombie Simpsons for 15 years, you can do a fucking Family Guy crossover.

FG is garbage, and I'm sure the crossover's dogshit, but don't pretend like you're better than anyone when you've done nothing.
>>
Al Jean had sent the NoHomers admit the following email:

"As you well know, Mr. Shearer has been vocal in his criticism of the show's quality in recent years. Thus, I am forwarding you this email and would like you to repost it in my name.

Our show has won every award it could possibly get in the past year. Dan Castallaneta received an Emmy for his performance in Today I Am A Clown. All this was made possible thanks to people who worked much harder than Mr. Shearer. He complains about his gradually-reduced roles in the show. Whenever I schedule a Thursday afternoon table read, I can never be sure that he will show up. Many times I've been told that he wasn't coming. Therefore I've made sure not to give him too much to do in any given episode.

Mr. Shearer has told me that he's upset with the show's current state and he was happier in Season 4. Well, I ran Seasons 3 and 4 along with Mike Reiss and I don't remember him being very happy back then. In particular, I remember him strongly objecting to Homer At The Bat, an episode that is now regarded as a classic.

In addition, Mr. Shearer has said that he feels cheated by the show financially. He is set to make just shy of 5.5 million dollars this year for what can generously be described as a few hours of work a week. When I consider how much our firefighters and teachers make, this attitude makes me want to vomit.

-- Al Jean"
>>
>>81464552
>At this point he doesn't do any Simpsons stuff that isn't the show itself
When he appears anywhere in public, he also snubs fans, won't sign autographs, and won't perform any of his voices for them.
>>
As far as I can tell, Harry's main interest in the show was as his personal political soapbox; he said his favorite episode was Two Cars In Every Garage And Three Eyes On Every Fish and he also pushed for Two Bad Neighbors to be political, but Oakley & Weinstein said no that's not what we're aiming for here.
>>
>>81464791
And he's the only of the main cast to have never done any DVD commentaries.
>>
>>81464791
>won't perform any of his voices for them
To be fair, I'd be sick of that after a good decade as well.
>>
I wanna say it's cool that he openly admits the show sucks now, but he's a big hypocrite for earning millions from it while saying it sucks.
>>
>>81464943
>I wanna say it's cool that he openly admits the show sucks now
>now

Try since 1993.
>>
>>81464552
>At this point he doesn't do any Simpsons stuff that isn't the show itself, and if they ever make the 2 other movies they're contracted for

I'm not looking forward to these movies if they make the same dumb mistake as the first time which is allowing Fox execs to dilute the script for maximum commerciality.
>>
>>81464181
I won't argue that it's worse across the board now, but in this episode in particular stuff had to be framed so the Family Guy people could put their trash copy paste animation in the same scenes.
>>
>>81463721
Maybe if the series hadn't been shit nearly 20 years before that.
>>
>>81465066
>>81464552
Two more movies, eh? All I can say is we'd sure better see Lisa's cookie this time.
>>
>>81465066
I don't even know if you can say it's executives. I remember listening to the commentary for the first movie and almost every single thing they brought up was "this scene used to be different, but test audiences didn't get it, so we changed it". And as far as I can remember none of the changes were for the better.
>>
>>81464791
>When he appears anywhere in public, he also snubs fans, won't sign autographs, and won't perform any of his voices for them.
That's perfectly understandable. Quite a few celebrities don't do that kind of stuff because they want to just live their lives in peace.
>>
>>81465356
>because they want to just live their lives in peace.

They shouldn't have picked a living where they're under the public's eye 24/7 then.
>>
>>81465232
I don't think the movie sucked or anything, but at the same time I can't imagine it would have been all that much better if it was made in like 1995. Writing a full-length movie is different from writing an episode that's not even a half hour taken all together, and when you hear ideas like "Kamp Krusty was considered as a movie plot" it just starts sounding like it wouldn't have been that great. Especially when they also say "yeah we had trouble coming up with enough material to fill that episode" in practically the same sentence.

I know people say shit like "I consider Who Shot Mr. Burns the best Simpsons movie" but I'd sure feel ripped off if I'd paid to see ~45 minutes made of two obviously separate episodes of TV-animation quality in a theater.

Maybe Simpsons just wasn't meant for movies.
>>
>>81465232
It was all executive meddling as far as I can tell.

>Fox suits nix the original plan to have Milhouse get his groove on with Lisa because Colin is more cute and marketable to women
>no we can't mention Rainer Wolfcastle, non insider fans won't get it
>no we can't mention Hank Scorpio because non-fans won't get it
>no we can't show Lisa's coin slot because feminist groups will be offended while they don't care about Bart's stuff
>>
>>81465464
I did enjoy the movie, it's just that apparently there was a much better, funnier movie there and it had to be dumbed down because it was for mass audiences.

Ironic considering its popularity, but the humor of classic Simpsons seems to not appeal to the lowest common denominator, and you're not allowed to make movies for anyone but the lowest common denominator anymore.
>>
>>81465583
It was a summer blockbuster. They're always ultra-formulaic sludge that never tries to innovate or do anything unexpected.
>>
>>81465464
Movies need a bigger, more expansive plot than simple episodic comedy. You can't just do a 90 minute TV episode.
>>
>>81465583
>but the humor of classic Simpsons seems to not appeal to the lowest common denominator

That's not surprising considering there's an entire generation that were kids watching it when Scully was showrunner.
>>
>>81465416
No, fuck off, they owe you nothing.
>>
>>81465722
They owe me EVERYTHING.
>>
>>81463721
Harry Shearer is super whiny imo.

He's hated the show since like, Season 4. I dont know why anyone cares

>>81464181
This is a Family Guy episode

>>81464755
Is this real?
>>
>>81466393
Yes, albeit quite a long time ago (from back around 2004)
>>
>>81466393
>This is a Family Guy episode
Most of the time zombie Simpsons does the exact same thing.
>>
>>81465650
They need to do something big and adventurous, like an Indiana Jones kind of plot where Maggie and the Chinese baby have to find some lost treasure in a tomb and stop Mr. Burns from awakening some ancient evil entity so he can gain superpowers and take over the world.
>>
>>81464791
>>81464883
Yep, just a grumpy lump. It was clear he only quit because he thought Fox would beg for him to come back, and had to pretend to be taking a vacation so he didnt look stupid coming back.

A shame since he's a pretty good voice actor, even now, Principal Skinner is actually pretty fantastically done

>>81465356
Pffffffft

>>81466433
Not really, no. Nothing close to OP pic happens on a regular basis. I know because I actually watch the show on a regular basis.
>>
>>81466549
Well all know Julie Kavner is the weak link of the cast by now.
>>
Shearer apparently hates the show so much that he even penned a script for next season, something he's never bothered doing in all this time.
>>
>>81466859
They should make them all fight to the death and the victor decides the fate of the show.
>>
>>81466859
>that recent episode where Patty and Selma try and quit smoking
>yfw Julie trying to do Marge's mom now

Oh dear...
>>
>>81466894
I still can't believe he did that and I have no clue what he's trying to do.

The writing team will probably end up changing it anyway, giving him another thing to criticize. They've had multiple guest writers and they alter their scripts anyway.

Whether it's just an attack on the show or "at least I know how to write these characters" would be interesting to see.
>>
>>81467073
>They've had multiple guest writers and they alter their scripts anyway

The guy who wrote The Book Job was a guest writer and that was pretty good.
>>
>>81467043
>using that
>not using the legendary Marge crying scene from the episode where she cleaned up crime scenes

>>81466859
She's sometimes sounds fine, and sometimes sounds absolutely dreadful
>>
>>81463721
>Anything involving Seth Macfarlane
yes
>>
>>81467202
I've heard her performances vary from episode to episode and sometimes you get the Marge you remember from Season 5, but then again I prefer to read about Zombie Simpsons rather than watch it.
>>
>>81467425
As long as you dont read it from DHS we're good. Other sites at least give credit where credit is due, but Dead Homer Society is shit.
>>
>>81465112
God Family Guy's animation is such shit (aside from the musical sequences)
>>
>>81467425
Julie has sucked since Season 15. By the time you get to those episodes, all the little vocal nuances that Marge used to have are gone. She was good in the movie only because it featured old friend Albert Brooks.
>>
>>81467175
Yeh but he was just a guest writer. Given how well-known Al Jean's opinion of Harry Shearer is, you can bet they'll mutilate the fuck out of whatever script he comes up with.
>>
>>81463721
Who says he was asked?

He was the one who got them to do their first crossover on The Otto Show. The he spent 20 years bitching about how the show had gone to shit and did crossovers, all the while taking his $5m a year salary. Even before the paycut four years ago that would likely have been something like $8m to him.

Honestly why do you care what he thinks? Do you imagine he has integrity, artistic or otherwise?

More to the point here why do you think in a show that had to have four big-name guest stars in order to work, there was any room in that show's budget for a guy who doesn't even voice regular cast, just peripheral characters?
>>
>>81469564
>More to the point here why do you think in a show that had to have four big-name guest stars in order to work, there was any room in that show's budget for a guy who doesn't even voice regular cast, just peripheral characters?

FWIW, Shearer did offer to take a paycut as low as $220,000 per episode in 06 and Dan Castallaneta didn't want more money either, but the others would only accept $250,000 minimum so that's what was agreed to.
>>
>>81469640
Wow, really? The multimillionaire who stopped even coming into the studio to record his line and just does it down the phone from wherever since the late 90s? He offered to take a paycut that was 12% lower than everybody else and would still have seen him average $5m a year in new payments alone, never mind the royalty payments from his older work and the increasing number of video games and advertisements given to the same characters?

That's blowing my mind, what a generous man.
>>
Shearer isn't that dependent on the show's income anyway; his Spinal Tap royalties alone are worth $$$. Really, only Kavner and Cartwright have no other livelihood outside their Simpsons paychecks.
>>
>>81470365
Julie Kavner might get a $20 royalty check from reruns of Rhoda they show on TV Land at 2:00 AM.
>>
What's All this talk of lisa's vagine in the movie? Was that once a thing?
>>
>>81470256
What? People can't draw.
>>
>>81463915
Burns and Flanders voice actor.
>>
>>81465466
>no we can't show Lisa's coin slot because feminist groups will be offended while they don't care about Bart's stuff

You made this up didn't you?
>>
>>81464755
I got new respect for Al Jean
>>
File: Usenet.png (35 KB, 1384x572) Image search: [Google]
Usenet.png
35 KB, 1384x572
>>
>>81465466
>no we can't mention Hank Scorpio because non-fans won't get it
They actually considered for him to be the main villain at one point.
>>
>>81463721
To be honest I never realized those two were not on this special.
>>
Dude does understand the Simpsons art style pretty well though. I never managed to draw Allison or Jessica in profile that it didn't look embarrassingly bad.

One personal nitpick of mine, and you see it a lot in fanart but sometimes also the animation on the show, is the habit of drawing kids of different ages at the same size when they should be bigger/smaller. For example, Sherri & Terri being the same size as Lisa though they should be bigger. It only seems like they pay attention to this with Bart and Lisa.
>>
File: Children_of_a_Lesser_Clod_6.jpg (89 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Children_of_a_Lesser_Clod_6.jpg
89 KB, 512x384
>>81471738
>>
>>81471763
Oh gotcha. Yeah that does look weird desu
>>
>>81463721

didn't Lenny have a line in this or did some one else fill in for him?
>>
>>81472797
Fill in

>>81469640
It's odd how many people are coming to defend harry shearer
>>
>>81463721
That episode was OK, not great but far from terrible.

But it was just Family Guy episode with guess starting Simpsons and Springfield.
>>
>>81473529
>implying family guy is ever even OK
MUH HIVEMIND
>>
yes, it was garbage
>>
>>81476037
it was like, a 6/10.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.