[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have never read any Flash (never read anything DC all that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: p9W5b.jpg (98 KB, 400x730) Image search: [Google]
p9W5b.jpg
98 KB, 400x730
I have never read any Flash (never read anything DC all that much, other than batman, and a little superman for that matter) is this a good reading list? Or is there more that I should know about, or any I should skip on?
>>
Dunno what you should skip but the list is outdated, some people will add Nu52 Flash in there.
>>
>>81461121
New 52 Flash is garbage.

Like, even the part people recommend has terrible storytelling, people just think it's pretty.
>>
>>81459424
Frankly you shouldn't really skip any of the stuff in those runs. Those are just the highly rated arcs. The stuff inbetween is still good and provide context. With this you miss out on shit like Wally teaming up with Nightwing and junk

Just go 62 to 225 without skipping anything and you'll be set.
>>
I've always been a Barry Allen guy, so I'd suggest rebirth, Flashpoint, Flash #123, The Death of Iris Allen. Fuck, even read COIE, even though he's not the most used character, he has possibly the biggest impact on the DC Universe for twenty years because of it

And if you like fantastic art, new52 Francis Manapul's run is there.
>>81461677
>Terrible
You're downplaying it. It's middle of the road. It's not bad, but it's nothing to write home about
>>
>>81461908
If you gave it average art people would go "Boy this is fucking boring and slow as hell."
>>
>>81461960
No, most people would say the same thing they say now, sans any compliment about Manapul's art. most people can differentiate art and writing.
>>
Am I the only one who mostly hates the majority of Johns' run? It's incredibly fucking boring except for the Zoom arc, which is admittedly fantastic.
>>
>>81462092
You don't like the Rogues backstory issues or Wonderland?
>>
>>81461741
>>81461908
All right, will definitely check it out!
>>
>>81461741
Why should I skip 0-61 just out of curiosity?
>>
>>81463284
Well 1-14 isn't particularly great. Baron didn't really have an idea with what to do with Wally, who had just become The Flash.

William Messner-Loebs follows up with 15-61 and it's a fine book. Nothing special, but it tells solid Flash stories and does introduce a couple important characters. The real stickler, and why no one recommends it very often, is it's not Waid, Morrison, or Johns, who had amazing runs. When you can offer steak why offer a hamburger?

It's also a little daunting to tell someone to read 225 straight comics. Trimming off +60 comics from that is a little more presentable and you're ensuring quality throughout, instead of the kind of hit or miss WML run. But, if you're really dedicated in reading all things good about The Flash then there's certainly some gems in the WML run. #19 is one of my favorite single issues of The Flash ever. As a matter of fact, go check that one out by its self and if you like that kind of Wally West then that's pretty much who he is in the WML run -- an interesting but not very well developed character.
>>
>>81463284
Waid basically reboots Wally at #62 and begins to weave in legacy and myth arcing.
>>
>>81461677
New 52 Flash is great I heard
>>
>>81463284
Because /co/ is full of plebs. Read 1-61, it's all part of Wally's greater arc. Also, #0 comes later, it's an essential part of a crossover.
>>
>>81461677
Seconding this.

OP, it depends on what characters you're most interested in. Waid does a great Wally and his supporting cast. Johns does great Rogues.
>>
>>81465694
You heard wrong, it's currently in its worse state ever. Perhaps Bart as the Flash as the only exception.

>Flash Reading Order
>Silver Age
Origin of Barry Allen: Showcase #104
Flash of Two Worlds: #123
Origin of Eobard Thawne: #139
Death of Iris Allen: #275 - 284
Death of Eobard Thawne: #323 - 327
Trial of Barry Allen: #340-350
Crisis On Infinite Earths
>Wally Wests Run
#62-225
Impulse: #1-12
>New 52
#1-8
>>
>>81465694
It was alright from 1-29 then absolute garbage from then on. Like, the worst book in the company bad.
>>
>tfw first introduced to comics through Injustice
>tfw you gravitated towards The Flash immediately
>tfw wally is your least favorite flash, but you still enjoy a good wally
>tfw your absolute favorite flash is beyond dead and will, nothing short of a miracle, never be what it could've been

Feels bad, man.
>>
>>81466188
>tfw wally is your least favorite flash
>not Bart
lol
>>
>>81466227
Man, I barely think of Bart as a "The Flash". In my brain it'd be like saying Supergirl is the worst superman.
>>
>>81466259
We must remember his time as Flash lest it happen again.
>>
>>81466188
It's ok to have bad taste, anon.

The right list is #1 Wally, #2 Jay, #3 Barry, #4 John Fox, #1000000000 Bart

though Bart is the #1 sidekick
>>
>>81466259
>>81466326
>>81466302
Funny enough, I read Barts run on the Flash first as it was for sale on comixology. It wasn't terrible as I had no yard stick to measure against.

Of course, it wasn't until I read impulse and Wally's run that I realized Bart wasn't some mopey woe is me character.
>>
What's the /co/ approved Batman comic list?
>>
>>81466302
You bring up a fantastic point, anon

1. Reboot Jay Garrick
2. Barry Allen
3. Classic Jay Garrick
4. Wally West

POWER GAP

9001. Bort

>>81466326
I do lke Wally though. Just not as much as Jay or Barry. It's not as if I think Wally "stole" Barry's role or some shit. I just enjoy Barry and Jay's content more than Wally's.
>>
>>81466422
seconding this request.
>>
>>81466426
What's some essential Jay Garrick reading? I haven't seen any of him in this thread, only Barry, and Wally.
>>
>>81466426
So you're saying Wally is your least favorite relevant Flash.

You have shit taste. Sorry anon, it's true.

Like how the fuck does anyone like Earth 2 Jay Garrick? He's fucking awful.
>>
>>81466426
You enjoy Silver Age comics more than Waid or Johns' Flash runs? Are you dense or some shit? Half the good Jay moments happen in Wally's own run.
>>
>>81466426
Name a single Barry arc better than Terminal Velocity or The Return of Barry Allen. I must know the depths of your shit taste.
>>
>>81468533
#134 Still Life In The Fast Lane
>>
I feel like mess er-loebs run is really underrated. It was a lot different than waids run, but it was very much a weird, late eighties dc comic with some really off the wall characters and ideas. I think it hangs together really well too.

God I miss Wally so much. I dont hate Barry as much as I used to, but Wallyflash is always gonna be MY flash.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.