[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Todd Mcfarlane's Spider-Man run any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: torment1.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1216) Image search: [Google]
torment1.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1216
Is Todd Mcfarlane's Spider-Man run any good?
>>
File: spidermancyborg.jpg (540 KB, 994x1524) Image search: [Google]
spidermancyborg.jpg
540 KB, 994x1524
Yeah I like it and the Erik Larsen run that picks up after it
>>
>>81455289
Thanks, dude.

Any other opinions? pls respond
>>
>>81455059
In adjectiveless? Well, the art is fantastic and I really like the Lizard, so it has that going for it. The writing is meh, but not the worst
>>
>>81455059
McFarlane's writing on adjectiveless Spider-Man was terrible. I was a clueless teen who read anything Marvel put out at the time and even I thought the writing was bad. Art was cool in its own idiosyncratic way, though, but I eventually grew out of even that. YMMV.
>>
One of the most poorly written books I've read. Its a chore to get through. Nice art though. I feel genuinely embarrassed when I go to comic stores and see people buying multiple copies of it, something that I'm shocked to have seen more than 3 or 4 times
>>
i liked it. it was fucking hardcore. really 1990s story line
>>
Does the run as a whole get better though?
>>
>>81457500
The way I would describe McFarlane's writing on adjectiveless Spider-Man (especially his dialogue) is that it reads like it's written by someone who has only ever read comic books his whole life. No nuance or shading at all and the exposition is about as clumsy as it gets. The pacing is uneven, and things happen because the plot transparently says so, not because of causation consistent with the context's story logic.

In a roundabout way, reading McFarlane's writing all those years ago was what finally made me realize how important baseline competent writing is in a comic. I used to be one of those kids who only ever cared about "cool art."
>>
I'd say the art makes it a must for spider-man fans, to say the least.

And, OP, I suppose you're kinda new to spidey if you're asking this question, so I would like to express how I can't recommend you pic related's arc enough. It's seriously insane and better than KLH
>>
>>81458105
Is there anything in it that might require reading anything else?
>>
>>81458575
Not really

Just look it up, the arc's name is Death of Jean DeWolff

It'll get you hyped as a fucker to read more
>>
File: PSX_20160404_003200.jpg (356 KB, 1199x612) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160404_003200.jpg
356 KB, 1199x612
I just got through his run on ASM, and I gotta say, it's pretty rough. I used to love his art as a kid but it doesn't do much for me now.

I really hate how he draws MJ. He's really trying to appeal to the horny kid in me and that kid is just remembering Kirby thighs and sighing.

Michelinie writes for the run and it's just not that interesting, especially taking into account the Roger Stern stuff that came before.

Pic related, Kirby thighs
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.