[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Good Dinosaur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: The_Good_Dinosaur_87057.jpg (70 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
The_Good_Dinosaur_87057.jpg
70 KB, 600x300
They established the idea behind what happened if the asteroid didn't hit earth and dinosaur still lives til now. I was expecting anthropomorphic dinosaur kind of story with some unique worldbuilding, but instead they went to safer route to tell a familiar tale about courage and fear.

do you think it'll be more interesting if they didn't go to Lion King/Ice Age route, but instead go to Zootopia route in terms of storytelling? something like Dinotopia perhaps
>>
File: Franken Fran really nigga.jpg (94 KB, 350x324) Image search: [Google]
Franken Fran really nigga.jpg
94 KB, 350x324
>dinosaur didn't adopted the whole human family and domesticated humans like we did with dogs
>>
File: nviwk8Uaoy1r6oak3o3_1280.jpg (299 KB, 800x553) Image search: [Google]
nviwk8Uaoy1r6oak3o3_1280.jpg
299 KB, 800x553
>>81441774
What should've happened was setting it in the space-age, where dinosaurs have technologically evolved to travel the stars through light speed ships and colonize other planets.

Carnivores have their own planets where they farm meat from non-dinosaur animals and herbivores to farm plants and whatnot. Space stations are established in various sectors to promote trade between the two, though relationships are shaky at best.

The hero can be a carnivore, T-Rex maybe, who's a fresh captain of a space ship, specializing in diplomatic relationships and combat with a blaster. He has a mission to establish a meeting with a newly colonized planet, but when he gets there, it's a frozen rock with no life on it. He searches around for any signs of why, but instead runs into the big bad of the movie. Haven't figured out what he'd be, but he has a huge grudge against all dinosaur kind and intends on killing them through one way: freezing them all to death, first small time through asteroid collisions, then moving on to killing stars. Of course, no bodies are shown, gotta keep it PG, but heavy implications that this guy is seriously fucking shit up.

Hero tries to fight him off, but loses spectacularly. Somehow escapes, even finds a survivor and both get away safely on the T-Rex's ship, then he figures he has to build a party to take down the big bad, all which would be various dinosaurs specializing in different fields (like medic, robotic engineer, combat pilot, etc.). Here it becomes somewhat like the 7 Samurai, where the captain goes to various sectors to hire dinosaurs that are the best in the field, sometimes cutting to the villain and his results in progression in finding more efficient ways of freezing planets. Near the end, he discovers how to freeze every single dinosaur planet and station with one decisive explosion, which he prepares to do once the captain's group is finally collected.

tl;dr: I want a space movie with actual dinosaurs in ships
>>
It was so weird.

Them being dinosaurs did not serve the story at all.

And so what if the meteor never hit? Large land mammals (the bison) would never have evolved if dinosaurs were still around.
>>
The character design was disgusting. Not just in a "this doesn't jive with the scenery" context most people bring it up in, but the fact that they were just ugly and poorly thought out. The film had way more problems than just falling back on a stock "emotional" story.
>>
File: the%20good%20dinosaur-xlarge.png (2 MB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
the%20good%20dinosaur-xlarge.png
2 MB, 1280x721
>>81443048
Overall the movie was just a disaster and they had plenty of chances to turn it around but they didn't. The premise was just your basic "dinosaur makes friends with a caveboy" story but they had to throw in a "hook" to justify being scientifically inaccurate, they picked the most awful, childish looking character designs imagineable, and then they scared away all the children by making the film too dark and violent to be "safe" for toddlers. The parents all thought it was going to be like Cars but with Dinosaurs and then they had to put up with their kids crying all the way home, and meanwhile, the teens and childless adults age 15-35 avoided the movie like the plague because it was so obviously childish looking.

Pixar really cocked it up with this movie. They've had misfires in the past (the Cars series) but this is the first time where they made a movie that didn't even know what its' audience was, and consequently it's the first and only movie they've lost money with. Honestly when I heard Pixar was making a dinosaur movie I was really excited, but as soon as I saw the characters my excitement washed away and all that was left was disappointment and skepticism, and the excitement never came back.
>>
>>81442239
His family barely had enough food to feed themselves for the winter. Actually, I left the film suspecting that they may have starved to death anyway without the dad's help.
>>
File: n6ucvr9DbX1t0yvi9o8_1280.jpg (76 KB, 600x501) Image search: [Google]
n6ucvr9DbX1t0yvi9o8_1280.jpg
76 KB, 600x501
>>81442742
You have the right idea for the setting at least.
>>
>>81442742
dude, write a novel, hire an artist and make a comic, this shit is great.
>>
Why did people not like this movie? It wasn't original, but I watched it after Cars 2 and loved it.
>>
File: 453738463568.png (57 KB, 548x546) Image search: [Google]
453738463568.png
57 KB, 548x546
>>81447459
>I watched it after Cars 2 and loved it
There are a lot of movies that seem better if you watch them after Cars 2.
>>
>>81447459
It was just dull.

Characters didn't catch my attention, the goal was a bit bland, and the biggest reason of all is what it potentially could have been. Instead of something really interesting, it was just dinosaurs with little stick huts and farms that talked to each other like semi-reasonable beings, and it followed a kid who gets lost, befriends a not-dinosaur, and then travels back, eventually rescuing the not-dinosaur.

Like I said, it could've been more than what it was. It was more disappointing than bad.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.