[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British Invasion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: Morrison.jpg (359 KB, 578x1687) Image search: [Google]
Morrison.jpg
359 KB, 578x1687
>This Scottish assholr wrote the best Superman, Batman and now Wonder Woman stories of all time.

Jesus christ why the hell do British writers do such good work on american comics?
Should we all just move to Japan and make god tier Astro Boy comics and Kamen Rider films or something?
>>
>>81440503
ASS is overrated, Batman was uneven and highlighted a lot of Grant's writing flaws, and WW hasn't been released.

That aside, it's because most of those writers didn't grow up with the characters and form opinions on them until they were adults and cut their teeth in a completely different comic industry.
>>
>>81441237
>ASS is overrated, Batman was uneven and highlighted a lot of Grant's writing flaws
Twenty (You).
>>
>>81441266
ASS is a love letter to a specific period of Superman stories, it's like a Greatest Hits album coming from a fictional band. Morrison's own beliefs about Superman, and the stories he's emulating, strip it of tension and Morrison fails to produce any real character drama to compensate. He also fails to grasp the nuance of American tall tales.

Also note that I said overrated, not bad.
>>
File: Scotsman by Federico Blee.jpg (745 KB, 709x1095) Image search: [Google]
Scotsman by Federico Blee.jpg
745 KB, 709x1095
>>81440503
Did someone say SCOTTISH SUPERHERO?
>>
>>81441237
ASS overrated? You lost all of us anon.
>>
>>81441237
>didn't grow up with the characters
Most definitely gonna need a source for that.
Fairly positive Morrison, at least, grew up reading cape comics.
>>
>>81441237
But Morrison liked comics as a kid tho

Also

Grant Bats was god tier. It was okay, them became better and better until it peaked with inc part one
>>
>>81441676
But thats wrong. ass is designed to be a fusion of the best of all superman it just seems silver age heavy because superman as a concept has most of its development in the silver age.

But please explain your nuance comment, this seems like a good dialogue
>>
>>81440503
>>Should we all just move to Japan and make god tier Astro Boy comics and Kamen Rider films or something?
Americans would ruin them.
>>
>>81442375
Didn't we already ruin Astroboy?
I thought everyone hated the movie, though that new animated show looks slick as hell.
>>
>>81441978
A defining part of American tall tales is that the hero is eventually beaten. They're essentially the mythologizing of demythification, the extraordinary transitioning to the mundane. ASS, and Morrison's thematics of Superman in general, is the opposite; foundling to hero to God, it's an apotheosis tale that starts extraordinary and proceeds deeper into the extraordinary while being rooted heavily in classical mythology.

He grasped the surface, ordinary events writ large by virtue of an extraordinary person performing them, but failed to realize that Paul Bunyan losing in the end is a necessary component of the story.
>>
>>81442471
I get what you're saying, but Superman still did technically "die" by the end of ASS.
>>
>>81441689
Remove the sporran,kilt cape,thistle missiles and move the cross up the chest and its salvageable as a Sentai-esque design.
>>
>>81442518
No, he just flew into the Sun to fix it with the idea that he will return in the future. He became the king under the mountain. He didn't lose, not in the way required for a tall tale, because of the expectation that he will return greater than before. Grant's Superman is a sci-fi punch Jesus come to redeem our sins, and ASS ends with him having entered the tomb and begun the Harrowing of Hell as his disciples await his resurrection.
>>
>>81442471
But he dies in the end.

Like John Henry or Jesus or MLK or JFK
>>
I want to see Doom Patrol VS The Elite.
>>
>>81440503
dude is a wizard

he literally summons demons and binds demons to force them into giving him good stories and proofread his shit
>>
>>81440503
Probably because only the best Brits are working on American comics?
>>
While we are at it, let's listen to Grant Morrison talk about ASS.
https://youtube.com/watch?list=FLKI3AsrqUxxrrZUbmtCzSDw&v=6VO9505oVkM
>>
>>81441237
Morrison loved comics as a kid, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>81442843
>Superman is a solar Resurrection deity
>He's Attis/Adonis/Ra meets a Bodhisattva.

I am totally fine with this.
>>
>>81442471
For all intents and purposes, Superman performs his 12 labors and dies in the sun. He'll return some day, but he lost all his tethered belongings.
>>
>>81442471
christ no wonder americans are fucked up as a culture
>>
>>81446939
Here in this >>81446862 video he tals about all the mythological aspects, how Superman is amalgamation of different Sun Gods like Apollo/Helios. Quite fascinating.
>>
>>81440503
Who are these people?
>>
>>81447299
From left to right
Morrison himself
King Mob
Numbah One
Spider Jerusalem
Jack Carter
Some guy from Ben 10 Omniverse
Alex Ross' Brainiac design
Lex Luthor
>>
>>81447299
>>81447367
They're versions of Grant from throughout he multiverse.
>>
>>81447367
Was Ross intentionally aiming to make Brainiac look like Morrison?
>>
>>81447367
That is Captain Cold from Justice League New Frontier, nerd.
>>
>>81447468
Forgive me, the image is small and pixelated, I would have sworn it was from omniverse having not seen the animated film and not read the book (I fucking hate Darwyn Cooke as a human being and I don't want to read things he's written in turn).
>>
>>81447519
Why hate him
>>
>>81447599
He's gone on this constant crusade about creators rights for years and then did Before Watchmen.
He also is autistic for making Superhero books for children and how it will save the big 2, which isn't inherently stupid, but I wouldn't really ever give anything he's worked on to a kid, also doing before Watchmen after having this sentiment is equally bad as being a creator rights champion and doing it
>>
>>81447425

Don't know if it's ever been confirmed but there's no doubt in my mind. It's literally Grant's face.
>>
>>81447668
Moore signed a contract and didnt like what he got. He wasnt cheated.

Also saying you need more kids booms doesnt mean you need only kids books
>>
>>81447749
You have your opinion, I have mine. Cooke seems like an absolute cock to me reading his interviews.
>>
>>81440503
>Jesus christ why the hell do British writers do such good work on american comics?

Probably because they've read more than just American superhero comics unlike most American superhero comic writers

Gaiman said it best when he called the comic industry incestuous
>>
>>81442471
>A defining part of American tall tales is that the hero is eventually beaten.

you just made that up. actually THAT is a trait of American tall tales. Telling half truths and exaggerating the truth to mythic levels.
>>
File: Morrison.jpg (589 KB, 756x2222) Image search: [Google]
Morrison.jpg
589 KB, 756x2222
>>81447519
Better?
>>
>>81442580
You mean remove everything that is fantastic about it? Away an bile yer heid laddie.
>>
>>81447749
http://watchmen2creatordarwyncooke.tumblr.com/

Yea, yea, tumblr I know
>>
>>81448051
Only assholes give a shit about the source of information more than the quality of the content itself
>>
>>81448133
If you haven't noticed, 4chan is compromised almost exclusively with assholes.
>>
>>81447367
Also the one who you think is Jack Carter is spider Jerusalem again (chest tattoo)
>>
>>81448341
No its Jack.

Jack is just a patsiche of Spider
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.