[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old Uncanny X-Men Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: latest.jpg (125 KB, 492x750) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
125 KB, 492x750
Sup /co/ I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the original uncanny x-men comics are any good or if they aged shitty
>>
>>81439014
At the very least they're better than any of the X-crap that currently comes out.
>>
>>81439014
Claremont run still holds up. Writing is sort of dated but Byrne's art is still awesome and world building and other cocept/ideas are still better than current shit.
>>
>>81439014
Basically EVERY comic from that era of Marvel is pure gold

This is now a Shooter Thread
>>
They're still good. They don't get great until the 80s though. And you gotta slog through a ton of exposition because that was the style of writing at the time.
>>
>>81439029
>>81439079
>>81439294
>>81439602
Thanks for all the answers! I think I'll write these comics on my to-read list and get to them after I'm through with all the amazing spider-man issues (#01-#700)
>>
They're great but definitely designed to be read monthly. Lots of exposition and some pretty purple prose at times. I really wouldn't recommend sitting down and reading 150 issues of Claremont because you'll get burned out fast and they really weren't meant to be consumed that way.

The amazing thing is the pace of the ideas. Days of Future Past, arguable the greatest X story of all time, is TWO ISSUES LONG. It's over before you know it but there's so much content packed into it it sticks with you forever.
>>
>>81439935
good to know, thanks. I think I'll just do as you said and read 1 or maybe 2 per month
>>
>>81439935
>that feel when you did not know that and you've read like 24 issues per day like it was nothing
>absolute madman I am
>>
>>81440220
Lel, it will take you years to read them.
It's not as scary as that other anon said
Here's what I did:
I skipped captions, and trimmed through thought balloons, when I knew that it was going to be about recap.

Also, I was reading essentials, and it took me like 3,5 hour to read 400 pages

/fit/ and /co/ should join forces and start a guideline for reading huge amounts of comics in short time
>>
>>81439014
The comics are still great.
You need to meet them half-way though.

They feel a lot more silly in places than modern stuff, also the very brisk pace with all its narration takes some getting used to if you only read modern, decompressed stuff.

Basically, it's less about the quality of the work and more about your stance toward it.
One thing that does get terribly annoying over time until you learn to ignore it, is the constant reintroduction of every single character in every single issue.
Yes, Wolverine has razor-sharp adamantium claws built into bionic housings in his forearms. I know. I've read like 150 issues of this stuff already. Fuck.

In other news: FUCK THAT ISSUE. I will never not be mad.
>>
My initial reaction to reading this run was:

Holy fuck, people weren't kidding about Claremont and Byrne injecting their fetishes into this

It's not even subtle. The Kitty / Colossus forbidden pedo love was literally a running plotline for both characters throughout the entire run
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.