[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are edgy video game parodies so popular anyway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: photo.jpg (64 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
64 KB, 900x900
Why are edgy video game parodies so popular anyway?
>>
because haha swearing and violence in Nintendo games that's not kid-friendly lol
>>
His videos are boring but atleast the animation tends to be good.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rflHvYsx0GA
BECAUSE YOUTUBE IS RUN BY PURITANS
DERPA DERPA DERP DERP
>>
>>81437074
Pleasure Island Adult Swim series when
>>
Because gamers like edgy stuff?
>>
>>81436561
Considering he's largely unknown outside of the horse show fandom, I wouldn't exactly call his edgy vidya shit popular.
>>
>>81436561
Parodies of kids stuff in general have always been popular. People enjoy making fun of them because they're easy targets.
>>
>>81436561

Well, his animal crossing parody was pretty fun.

But yeah, his Undertale one was pretty boring.
>>
People into "gamer culture" are usually 13-18 year olds
Being edgy is popular among 13-18 year olds

It's just shitty Newgrounds humor for the modern age
>>
>>81437405
>Recently I've been trying to write a simple pitch document for sending to a network, with the view to make a longer form Pleasure Island show. I thought I'd share my one line synopsis because I'm quite proud of it:

>Anaginggigoloandasociopathichustlermustsavearemoteislandresortfromabloodthirstycultof gimps.

Soon.
>>
nice marketing, you fucking hack. Fuck off already
>>
I love how everybody here doesn't get the fucking joke from the undertale video
He made a random video for it because of the popularity of the game.
You'll get backlash if you MAKE a video, you'll get backlash if you DON'T make one. So he made one that was fucking awful to make fun of people cashing out on the fanbase.
Is it that hard to understand?
>>
>>81437917
>i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>81437917
>Is it that hard to understand?
Yeah.
>>
>>81437917
So you're saying it's shit?
>>
>>81437888
>Posting a picture of an animator
>Not even giving his name, you would have to reverse image search if you cared enough and didn't already know
>Marketing
What?
>>
>>81437967
Yes, he made a 1 minute video to cash out on autists who eat it up no matter what.
For the non-autists it was a joke about how any video involving those skeletons will get views even if its shit like in that video
>>
>>81437917
>We should give it a pass because it's INTENTIONALLY terrible!
Also, he's not making fun of people exploiting the fanbase, he clearly just has contempt for the fanbase itself.
>>
>>81438000
I don't know man I think that video was slightly better than most of his other recent videos.
>>
>>81438003
You could say he has a bone to pick
>>
Same reason Pewdiepie is so popular. Kids.

And the younger the kids the less likely they use an adblocker, so the youtuber gets more out of their view count.
>>
"Edgy" mean nothing anyway.

I don't think something is edgy if this is Comedy.
>>
>>81437752
His Animal Crossing video was like the weakest out of anything he's done
>>
Because you get people who will watch them, or continue to talk about them, solely so that they can swear up and down that they don't watch them. I know going "there is no bad publicity"is sort of a cop-out, but you're the oroblem here for not just being an individual and finding something you like, rather than just questioning someone's humor beyond "it isn't for me".
Anyway: "Edgy" parodies are found to be funny bcause of juxtraposition and exaggeration, among other things for different people, and things people already like and enjoy being seen in a different light. The same can be said for overtly comedic parodies of serious works, which are also popular and are also not guaranteed to be "funny" to everyone.
TL;DR: Because people find them funny.
>>
In my head "Edgy" was always about "dark exaggerated serious action stuff" not really about Comedy.

What's the interest of being "edgy" in a comedic stuff seriously? You just call "edgy" everything with insults, poop, blood or boobs.

So every horror movies or action are now edgy? This buzzword is again some pessimistic neckbeard invention.
>>
>>81436561
Fucking HDD what a talentless faggot
>>
is this an example of a good videogame parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S6xsFbUF-8
>>
>>81437774
Pretty much this. He's really just the modern day Egoraptor for the new generation of pop culture kids. Just way more vulgar.
>>
>>81437917
I would buy it but he does the HA HA PUN RIMSHOT joke in half his fucking videos. That's literally just like, his go-to joke. And he did a ton of edgy shit in his other videos as well.

His Undertale video was barely any different in writing or humor to his other videos. So how could this one possibly be different in message and purpose compared to his entire roster?

If he had a bunch of pretty good videos and then threw out the shit one, I would buy it. But it's actually just another Pony series.
>>
Makes manchildren feel like they aren't manchildren.
>>
>>81438383
He actually is "edgy" though. He has cartoon ponies being serial killers while saying shit like "My daddy makes me put glass in my vagina" and Pinkie Pie sucking dick while goth-kid Mario goes out and fucks with his younger brother Luigi and Sans shouts NIGGGAAAA while machine gunning Papyrus.

If it was just like, Robot Chicken shit it would just be adult humor. But it's even more lowbrow than that, if you can believe, as far as "shock value" goes.
>>
What is your least favourite edgy video game parody? I disslike this one the most, mainly for the unfair treament of Yoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Wn48geCJ8
>>
>>81438709
No.
>>
>>81438383
>In my head "Edgy" was always about "dark exaggerated serious action stuff" not really about Comedy.

Family Guy and Southpark are perfect examples of "edgy" being applied to humor. Their purpose is to get laughs by being outrageous and shocking to current moral standards.
>>
this guy is living proof that no matter how talented at animation you are, if you are a walking shit stain no one will want to work with you.
>>
>>81440299
And it's a bad thing?

Because when 4chan imply something is edgy it's automatically bad.
>>
>>81440601

Well, if you want to assign a quality barometer to it, it takes a lot less effort to make "edgy" humor than to tell smart jokes. It falls probably below slapstick as far as lowbrow humor is concerned, and usually the people who resort to "edgy" humor are people who see themselves as self-styled "revels against authority" with no actual oppressive regime to rebel against, hence they're kinda seen as wankers.
>>
>>81436561
because people share his videos
>>
>>81440835
>rebels

Sorry about the misspelling.
>>
>>81437917
I'm pretty sure the joke is that so many Undertale fanworks follow the template of
>Papyrus does something
>Sans steals a pun from google
>Papyrus flies into a violent rage for no reason
>The writer acts like they actually wrote something
So he did the first two parts over and over, constantly building up to the third part and never doing it. And when he finally does do it, he intentionally does it the wrong way because...I actually don't know. Maybe I'm reading too hard into it, but I laughed because I assumed he was parodying shitty fanworks.
>>
>>81440835
But if this is a thing not made for smart jokes and without any political messages? I don't know it's so hard to laugh on stupid things just for fun?

And people who complains on edgy always talk shit about teenagers, it's like they are so insecure about their own maturity and have some sort of superiority complexe because they like "deep things".
>>
>>81436561

Because juxtaposition is a mildly satisfying form of humor and just as Mario losing his shit and swearing can be a little amusing so can a high strung hero like doom guy going home and having a bubblebath and candlelight dinner with his wife
>>
>>81437752
I didnt laugh once during that Animal crossing one, but Isabelle was cute as hell.
>>
>>81438383
Edgy, according to a dictionary, is something "daring and provacative". On 4chan, it was used to describe things that were tryhard, usually from underaged kids trying to be overly dark and depressing.
For example, those kids on deviant art who make Cold Steel-tier OC, those emo kids who describe themselves as "insane" or "psychopath" to try and look cool.
However, the word eventually began being used as a strawman for anything that is not kid friendly or morally acceptable.
>omg, this show has people dying?
>Wow, this band made a song that isn't about how great and awesome life is?
>This video game has guns, and big breasted women?
>This movie has a lot of swearing on it!
>he made a racist joke? ON 4CHAN?
>He said he'd kill a certain type of people in real life? Why, I don't think that's hyperbole at all, I think he's being serious!
>He doesn't have the same political view that most people his age have?
>better call him edgy for all of those reasons
>WOAH KID I JUST CUT MYSELF ON THAT EDGE, EDGLORD, EDGEFAG
>>
There's a lotta 12 year olds on YouTube
>>
>>81440996

If you like eating shit don't be surprised when people call you out for eating shit.
>>
File: 1455364423366.gif (206 KB, 335x469) Image search: [Google]
1455364423366.gif
206 KB, 335x469
>>81438188
>>81441105

i think he tried to channel Tarantino's monologues because from what i gather, he's a tarantino nut.

Thing is you actually need wits and good actors to pull that off

isabelle is cute tho
>>
>>81436561
I just want WGJ4K back
>>
>>81441201
Meme argumentation.

Something can be totally stupid and funny, it's shit if this is not funny, and that opinions totally depend of each others.

But i have some explanations, some people on their 20s-30s here considers themselves more mature so they talk shit on every not intellectual thing without drama, especially if this is loved by teenagers.

Why so many hate on teenagers?
>>
>>81441326

The one constant throughout all of human history is that young people are dumb and tasteless as fuck.
>>
>>81440996
>But if this is a thing not made for smart jokes and without any political messages? I don't know it's so hard to laugh on stupid things just for fun?
It depends. Comedy doesn't need to have depth to be funny, it just needs to have wit. The problem with a lot of these so called "edgy" comedies, is that they rely on nothing but their edge. If you want to see an example, go watch Mr.Pickles. The comedy in that show is the least clever I've ever seen. Every "joke" just uses violence, sex and swearing as a punchline.

>And people who complains on edgy always talk shit about teenagers
Disregard any post that uses "being for teenagers" as an insult. Only retarded elitists use that, usually to demean things they don't like but can't articulate any reason as to why it is bad and people shouldn't be watching it. So instead, they call it immature to make themselves look more mature in comparison and to brand fans of said thing as underaged or manchildren. It's even funnier when someone on /co/ of all places, a board that talks a LOT about cartoons for CHILDREn, uses that as a crutch in an argument.
>>
When did people start caring so much if somethings edgy?
>>
>>81436561
12-16 year olds
>>
>>81436561
Because it WORKS on the internet.
It makes people share it to other people.
It gets views. It gets money.

Seriously, what kind of cartoon on the internet makes people care?
If it was some random character that NOBODY fucking gives a shit, then who's gonna watch that crap, unless it's made by huge company?
Animating by just a one person take a lot of time and effort.
If nobody's gonna watch it, then what's the point of making all that shit?

"Oh I'm so creative, It's so original."
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT

So stop whining about it and make your own shit that satisfies you. instead of bitchin about people who actually making stuff.

(I'm korean, sorry for my poor english.)
>>
>>81437420
but /v/ hates this guy
>>
>>81442029
>If nobody's gonna watch it, then what's the point of making all that shit?

It's people like you that makes The Reward such a vastly underrated web series.
>>
>>81442537
/v/ hate everything anyway.

It's more manchildrens of still playing vidyas after teenager years than watching animated shows.
>>
>>81442588

It is MEANT to be underrated on the INTERNET.
You thought that kind of artwork appeal to the dumb fuckers on the internet?

And that animated short is made by several artists.
AND IT'S A GRADUATION FILM.
>>
>>81442939
>AND IT'S A GRADUATION FILM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlg8Y_mLfA

It's a web series.
>>
File: 1457605294267.gif (982 KB, 374x210) Image search: [Google]
1457605294267.gif
982 KB, 374x210
>>81438267
I love how the only right answer gets no replies. Also /co/'s massive hate for anything remotely "edgy " is starting to get ridiculous.
>>
>>81436561
For the same reason you liked that cringeworthy stuff during your 12-16 years.
>>
>>81443133
Oh, I didn't know about that, sorry.
I should check out the series, looks cool.

But it's a big project, they're doing kickstarter, patreon and have lot of staffs.
Not every Indie animators on the internet are able to do that nor want to do that, It's a big risk.
>>
>>81442598
and /co/ approves of tumblr drama
Please don't use strawmen.
>>
>>81443214
>Also /co/'s massive hate for anything remotely "edgy

Maybe we hate it just because it's just generally shit.

Faggot.
>>
>>81443214
Yeah, /co/'s starts to being "muh good taste edgy".

Kid's shows on TV is not made by manchild, they're doing what's the best for the kids.
>>
It's harder to get views on original content so animators just sell out and start doing parodies because people love seeing something they already know. Max is fucking weird, his animation work looks extremely professional for a Youtube faggot but his ideas and writing for his animations are awful.
>>
>>81437993
When everyone is a shill, then no one will be
>>
>>81438771
>. That's literally just like, his go-to joke.

Fucking this and weed were pretty much Spike's entire character through the MLP .MOV series.
>>
>>81441223
Wait, he's a huge fan of Taratino?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-0LlT-8hM
>>
>>81438188
Nice animation, poor writing. 4/10
>>
>>81447368
Doesn't the video's existence make it obvious?
>>
>>81437752
Faz and Friends was so decent I thought
I stepped into bizarro world or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIUbLF5cJrU
>>
He's honestly one of the best YouTube animators & is pretty talented.Yeah he sells out by making parodies of what's popular, but the payoff is that he's guaranteed to get a large number of views. If I was spending months of my time per animation I would do the same thing
>>
Because they're made for middleschoolers who are young enough for "dude don't tell my mom I showed you this xD" humor to work.
>>
>>81449624
>>81441523
>>
>>81441105
>Isabelle was cute as hell
That was literally the only reason I sat through the entire video.

Did the video even have any jokes? I didn't really see any.
>>
>>81449212
>I'm sorry, Mike, but it's just policy.
>>
>>81437074
It hurts knowing that Sexualobster has taken youtube fucking up animation really badly.
He was the animator we didn't deserve.
>>
>>81442537
>/v/
>games
>>
Little kids with too much time on their hands.

Same reason why LPers that upload like 2 hours of content a day are popular. Only kids and NEETs have the time to watch all that, only kids and NEETs enjoy that.
>>
>>81443973
Oh right, forgot every board is /v/, where we must circle around constant hate and disapproval.
>>
>>81437917
Somehow i doubt anyone gave a shit whether he made a video or not. I mean does he even have a legitimate fanbase
>>
>>81447368
this one was pretty enjoyable
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.