[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into the OG Marvel comics? The new issues have never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1459727947505.jpg (612 KB, 1245x1254) Image search: [Google]
1459727947505.jpg
612 KB, 1245x1254
How do I get into the OG Marvel comics? The new issues have never really appealed to me besides very few standalone arcs but I've always admired the old issues in its story telling and art style as I'm a big Jack Kirby fan. I'm really into the deep sci-fi stuff but I think I'd enjoy stuff like The Defenders as well. Any recommendations for essential reading material or guides? Even tips on what to avoid or what is gold, etc.
>>
>>81426444
Go read the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four run in its entirety. It's among the best runs of any Marvel comic, and there's a very good reason why it was the basis by which the rest of the universe was built on.
>>
>>81426486
Where do I go into acquiring this? Does the Lee/Kirby run have an end or conclusion?
>>
>>81426444
>How do I get into the OG Marvel comics?

You read the comics from Kirby and Ditko. Then you can go on to other talented artists like John Buscema or John Romita
>>
here's what I consider essential:

>Lee/Kirby's Fantastic Four
>Lee/Kirby's Thor & Tales of Asgard
>Lee/Ditko's Amazing Spider-Man
>Lee/Ditko's Doctor Strange
>Steranko's Nick Fury

if you're willing to stretch your definition of OG:

>Claremont's X-Men
>Roy Thomas' Avengers
>Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock
>The Life and Death of Captain Marvel

and if we go well into the 80s we have Englehart's Silver Surfer and Simonson's Thor which are both fucking amazing.
>>
>>81427124
If you're going to include the 80's you should also include Roger Stern's Spider-Man run...and his Avengers run

...I'm not Roger Stern
>>
>>81427415

I didn't read those, anon. Thanks for recommending them tho.
>>
>>81426695
>>81427124
>>81427415
Where do I go to buy them and in what format? Do I look for omnibus' or digital copies? Do they have them on webstores like Amazon or Ebay?
>>
>>81427639

Amazon has the Marvel Masterworks series. I dunno. I read most of it on scans,
>>
>>81427639
I don't know about scans but if you want to buy hardcovers/softcovers Amazon or InStockTrades.com are cheaper than Barnes & Noble or most comic shops (unless they offer customer loyalty discounts like Midtown Comics).

Lucky for you the classics are usually available in several formats. Marvel Masterworks are a series of chronological hardcovers that are fairly extensive at this point...but they are anywhere from $40 to $75 each so your mileage may vary.

The Epic Collection is a series of affordably priced fat softcovers and most classic titles have a collection by now, the only downside is that even though each volume is a chronological chunk they are published out of order (so for instance Spider-Man may have issues 1-25 collected and then 99-120 but not necessarily the stuff in between).

Omnibus are the luxury format for marvel, big hardcover tomes that usually collect 30+ issues in one volume. Roger Stern's entire Spider-Man run is in one omnibus and most titles have 1 or 2 volumes collecting the first 60 or so issues. Biggest exception was Dr Strange but, not so coincidentally, Ditko's entire run is coming out in Omnibus format this year. These are priced around $99 to $100 but you can find them cheaper online, some people find this format unwieldy to read given the size and weight but those people are limp-wristed nu-males.

>Regarding your original question:
>>81427124 and >>81427415 are correct but a general rule of thumb to consider is that almost every silver age title except X-men, Iron-Man, Daredevil and Avengers are a great place to start.

When Neal Adams takes over art duties on X-Men you might consider giving it a luck but the real place to start is when Claremont resurrects the franchise. Likewise, Gene Colan draws a great atmospheric and moody Daredevil but Frank Miller absolutely set the benchmark for the series. Stan and Kirby were stretched way too thin by the time they got to Avengers and the work was subpar.

Cont.
>>
>>81429556
>except X-men, Iron-Man, Daredevil and Avengers
Why? Not good or is there a more specific reason?
>>
the fact that such a retard question needs to be spoonfed shows how shitty /co/ has become
>>
>>81429556
Once Roy Thomas takes over for the Avengers it's great. Kirby made Nick Fury fun but SterNko made him timeless.

A lot of titles spun their wheels a bit in the 70's, for some it's fine for others it might seem repetitive. Starlin's Captain Marvel and Warlock are phenominal, Englehart was great in Captain America and Avengers amongst other titles. Kirby came back for a crazy fun Cap run. Claremont starts his legendary run in X-Men and Iron Fist and Luke Cage have interesting street level stories. If you're inclined check out Marvel's horror comics, they thrived in the 70's with Tomb of Dracula being the standout. Wrap it up with Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck, Man-Thing, and Defenders.

The 80's played host to a revival of sorts. Stern wrote the best Spider-Man stories ever and his Avengers were a return to form. Byrne wrote classic FF4, Simonson's Thor is unleashed, Miller revolutionized Daredevil and Claremont goes another decade writing classic X-Men. David Michelinie does the unthinkable and makes Iron-Man interesting for the first time ever.

Also, check out New Mutants and Silver Surfer.
No recommendations for the 90's my friend, not worth it.
>>
>>81429971
Go back to /a/ with that bullshit.
>>
>>81427639
The best way is to pirate honestly.

Marvel's trades (the Masterworks stuff) are super overpriced and their omnibi are always out of print and most of their stuff hasn't been released in that format.
>>
>>81429971
Do you have a problem with a thread asking a question that can open up conversation or do you just want your board strictly for waifus?
>>
>>81429841
They were poor efforts both writing and art. Avoid anything with Don Heck as artist. Marvel was bursting with ideas at the time but not everything was good. Kirby and Lee tried to do every title and they burned out. These titles aren't terrible but they certainly aren't classics.

>>81429971
Christ man, we either help the curious new fans get the good stuff or we let tumblr or Reddit tell them that anything older than 2004 is garbage.

Imagine if you walked into your first comic shop and some fags screamed at you because you weren't buying the titles they like or because you asked the staff for recommendations. I discovered comics when I was 6 and I bought more than a few shitty comics and asked questions before I figured everything out.
>>
>>81430293
Only Kirby and Ditko from the Silver Age have anything worth reading (from Marvel that is), also the Hulk stories in Tales to Astonish
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.