[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people always go on about how crazy and shitty ASBAR is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: batman odyssey.jpg (71 KB, 325x499) Image search: [Google]
batman odyssey.jpg
71 KB, 325x499
Why do people always go on about how crazy and shitty ASBAR is when this exists? Batman Odyssey is fucking batshit. Neal Adams is based, but what the fuck was going on with him when he wrote Odyssey?
>>
>>81410696
Because ASBAR being shitty is a meme. Also, /co/ being contrarian as it is, praises ASBAR.

You're right though, Odyssey is almost never discussed here.
>>
>>81410696
You can only stare into the eye of madness for so long before you yourself go mad.
>>
We have been talking about Batman Odyssey more these days with his Superman story coming out now.
>>
I remember when some anon story timed that on here.

Was up till 4am on a work night.

Worth it.
>>
>>81410696
>what the fuck was going on with him when he wrote Odyssey?
He's an iconic Batman artist, but I've understood he's been this batshit for long before Odyssey. It's just that since he was usually drawing instead of writing, we rarely got a chance to see him going nuts. Apparently he wrote something called Skateman in 1983 and that thing was a crazy ride too. Or so I've been told; I haven't been able to find the comic and read it myself.
>>
But ASBAR is legitimately good. The only people who hate it are humorless Batfags who want everything Bat-related to be desaturated and "serious." The last issue to be released was admittedly really talky and definitely went too far with the parody meme-ing and swear words, but for nine issues it was a fun, over-the-top romp with great art and a suitably nasty tone.

Batman Odyssey meanwhile is legitimately insane. I don't think words like "good" or "bad" really apply.

Basically, I think ASBAR is mostly misunderstood (except by real comics people on /co/) while Batman Odyssey cannot possibly be understood unless you are scizophrenic.
>>
>>81412133
I agree fully on ASBAR. Whilst it is very, very funny and humorous. It's also funny how much sense that Batman make at times. Such as not wanting to recruit Dick until he was 15-17, but felt he had to because his parents were gunned down infront of him, just like what happened to Bruce himself. And also how, despite being somewhat brooding, ASBAR bats actually really enjoy being the goddamned Batman. And treating Dick like a childsoldier, because seriously, that's the only way he'll cope with all the horrible shit he's bound to see as Robin.

As for Odyssey I've understood it the way >>81412082 has. Neal Adams has always been crazy, it's just, most of the time, he wasn't writing.
>>
Hating ASBAR is mostly a meme thanks to Linkara, and Miller and his great classic works are more well known which makes ASBAR all the more baffling to the average reader.
Odyssey isn't as well known and most people don't know Adams as a writer.

>>81412133
>>81413243
Yeah the biggest complaint that I agree with that isn't "NOT MUH" is the pacing and decompression, which are absolutely awful since the book was originally gonna be an ongoing and then downsized to be twice as long as what we got and then got cancelled half way through.
And what happens in the book and Batman's crazy train of thought makes a lot more sense when you pay attention to the narrative boxes which most people seem to not do. Or if they do they just reject it cause NOT MUH.
>>
>>81414964
Lee and Miller confirmed late last year that a sequel to ASBAR called Dark Knight, Boy Wonder was currently in production, but of course, no release date for the first issue was given.

My guess is, either it won't ever come out because of Lee, or it'll be just like ASBAR with a few issues being released over several years.
>>
>>81415160
They've said that just about every year since 2010.

If it doesn't come after Lee's Suicide Squad issues and DKIII is over then it'll probably never come.
>>
>>81412133

Yeah no. As a batfag I can assure you the people who dont like ASBAR are not batfags.

They might think they are batfags. They probably think Hush is the greatest Batman story ever.

Anyone with any real knowledge of the character and Frank Miller knew exactly what he was up to, and that it was entertaining as hell.
>>
>>81415557
People who grew up with BTAS and never read a comic book hate ASBAR. They think BTAS Batman is the definitive Batman.
>>
never forget

>Laura: But here is the best quote from a Neal Adams interview about Odyssey:

> Q: Can you give us an overview of the plot?
> Adams: I cannot give you an overview of the plot.

http://comicsalliance.com/batman-odyssey-neal-adams-insane/
>>
>>81410696
>Why do people always go on about how crazy and shitty ASBAR is when this exists?
Because ASBAR is more accessible to the masses than Batman Odyssey. ASBAR's craziness is something they can enjoy while Odyssey's is just far too much for them.
>>
File: 1428701299878.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1428701299878.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>81416026
That man operates on another level from the rest of us.
>>
>>81411930
I remember that too. I only made it maybe halfway through before the insanity won out and I had to stop.
This was AFTER the dinosaurs showed up.
>>
daily reminder that while morrison plays his crazy interdimensional wizard thing up for kicks and to be more interesting, neal fucking adams believes in this bullshit

he has gone of radio stations before and explained the hollow expanding earth theory countless times
>>
>>81410696
The only person I know who's actually read this is one of the guys at my local comic book shop. He said it was fun.
>>
>>81416470
He's right
>>
>>81416026
S-surely that's out of context and he meant he's just not going to spoil it...?

I've never read Odyssey so I don't know how crazy it is and I've never seen a plot summary before.
>>
Maybe someone can storytime this? All the replies made me curious for the insanity.
>>
>>81416780
It's entirely in context, I'm halfway through the article, an article about making sense of Odyssey, and I cannot explain what the half I've read is about.
My favorite line so far:
>Meanwhile, back in the Batcave, Batman gives a handgun to his child sidekick, who is immediately lost in the throes of gun fever.
>>
>>81416470
Damn straight it is
Can we get a storytime in this motherfucker?
>>
>>81416470
Batman: Odyssey is fun the same way watching someone have a seizure and talk tongues in church is fun.
>>
>>81417174
That's amazing
>>
>>81417174
Really? I gotta get my hands on this shit.
>>
File: odyssey-freak.jpg (26 KB, 379x307) Image search: [Google]
odyssey-freak.jpg
26 KB, 379x307
>>81416026

holy shit I think i may need to actually read this storyline now.. what a fucking gong show
>>
File: 1441439540375.gif (1 MB, 240x252) Image search: [Google]
1441439540375.gif
1 MB, 240x252
>>81418949
>>
>>81416026
absolute madman
>>
File: file.png (135 KB, 250x265) Image search: [Google]
file.png
135 KB, 250x265
>>
Honestly, Neal probably just drew a bunch of situations he thought Batman would look cool in, then added text to the dialogue bubbles.
>>
>>81419344
What is this even talking about
Is it supposed to be a riddle?
>>
>>81419359
This has always been my theory
He just drew cool shit and batcave scenes and then Stan Lee'd the dialogue in with a lot more trolling.
>>
batman odyssey is wonderful. anyone that dislikes it hates fun comics.
>>
File: Batman odyssey.jpg (542 KB, 1280x1158) Image search: [Google]
Batman odyssey.jpg
542 KB, 1280x1158
>>81416780
The core plot isn't that crazy- Ras al Ghul has a son who turned old and bad because no Lazarus pit, Batman has to stop him but Ras is trying to manipulate Batman into killing him.

It's just everything else that is crazy.
>>
>>81420084
If anything, it's a nice change of pace from modern Batman.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.