[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Daily Reminder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: heart of steel.jpg (68 KB, 320x355) Image search: [Google]
heart of steel.jpg
68 KB, 320x355
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-batman-v-superman-880012
>>
>>>/tv/
>>
>>81403256
No.
>>
>>81403237
Never fails to make me chuckle.
Serves them right.
Fuck up an IP, and the fans will revolt.
>>
it's still a multi-million dollar profit, it's just falling off faster than expected
>>
File: Laughing death full.gif (3 MB, 340x189) Image search: [Google]
Laughing death full.gif
3 MB, 340x189
>>81403318
WRONG BUTTSLUT!

Not all of that profit goes to the studios. Advertising, distribution and Theatre's all take their cut. That's why it's estimated that it needs to clear 800mil to 1Bil just to break even.
>>
>>81403318
Not that they see all of that profit.
The movie probably hasn't even paid for itself.
>>
>>81403387
already paid for itself twice actually
>>
>>81403427
That's really not how it works.
Production budget ain't even close to the total cost of the movie.
>>
>>81403374
a valid point. maybe they'll stop giving zack snyder big projects and leave him to the cheesy bullshit B-action movies that he actually does well
>>
>>81403374
>>81403387
Do you really think they doubled, or even tripled their budget in advertising? That seems unrealistic to me. Is there a shred of evidence to support the idea that they spent $750M in advertising?

Also, distribution doesn't cost shit. Theater's taking their cut on the other hand might be dipping pretty heavily into potential profit margins in our little hypothetical here, but I doubt they'd come near the point of not at least breaking even so far at a box office of $585M.
>>
>>81403550
The estimates of the production budget are currently running at around $250m, but that actually seems pretty low given that they were into major rewrites after shooting began, they have a lot of recurring cast from the previous film, and the whole thing is about 50% longer than a normal film - which suggests they shot a lot more than a normal film just to get that extra usable material. With a movie this big there's also a lot of additional spots to pay for both before other movies and in other media, because you cannot afford to let it go unnoticed. The net effect is still however that people notice it, so it doesn't immediately seem apparent that you've put out that many more ads.

>Also, distribution doesn't cost shit.

Distribution literally costs 50% of the gross, every time. That's money for the entire distribution chain, including the theaters. It never reaches the studio. So 585 becomes 292.5, which is below break-even unless they somehow managed to spent just $40m on marketing.
>>
>>81403761
>So 585 becomes 292.5, which is below break-even unless they somehow managed to spent just $40m on marketing.
Which seems...unlikely.
>>
File: Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol.jpg (10 KB, 202x170) Image search: [Google]
Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol.jpg
10 KB, 202x170
>>81403477
>SHUT UP! I NEED THIS MOVIE TO FLOP!
>>
>>81403882
This movie is flopping regardless, anon. Open your eyes.
>>
>>81403882
Greentext as much as you want, it won't change reality.

If it costs X to make a movie and that movies makes X at the box office, that movie lost money.

BvS probably won't, but odds are good it isn't going to do as well as WB planned, and that's a big deal for them.
>>
>>81403937
>trust me, I'm an expert
No, OP. It's just your brand loyalty speaking.
>>
>>81403979
You're right.
Those hundreds of companies running ads for the movie probably did it for free because they're huge fans of Man of Steel.
>>
Can someone tell me how important are the dvd/bluray sales compared to the box office ? I always wonder about that.
>>
I find it really hilarious how /tv/ goes on about patrician films and cinematography and then inevitably descends into autistic number-wrangling about a movie's exact budget and profit.
>>
>>81403318
>>81403427
>>81403550
>>81403882
>>81403979
>>81405838
So, to all of you faggots who think that this movie is turning a profit.

Go look at the gross for Green Lantern compared to its production budget and then realize that this money lost huge, heaping gob sums of money for Warner Brothers.
>>
>>81407284
Green Lantern barely broke even, Batman V Superman made back over double it's budget
>>
>>81403289
>Fuck up an IP, and the fans will revolt.

Why are DC fans smarter than Star Wars fans?
>>
>>81407334
When you consider that studios don't even get fifty percent of the net, its a bomb.

Just like BvS judged by the same metric.

>>81407402
>Smarter

Don't flatter yourself. This whole affair has convinced me that autism is a requirement for DC Fanboyism. You fags just don't understand that it's not a matter of budgets, its a matter of only a small portion of the proceeds flowing back to the studio.

And when someone tries to tell you this, your only answer is LALALALALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING!

Literally autistic.
>>
>>81403289
tell that to marvel
>>
>>81407474
I mean DC fans can recognize shit movies while Star Wars fans can't.

DC fanboys aren't real DC fans.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.