[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DreamWorks VS Disney VS Pixar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 7
File: top 3.jpg (105 KB, 988x612) Image search: [Google]
top 3.jpg
105 KB, 988x612
which one has the best overall quality?
which one has the best animation?
which one has the best character design?
which one has the best VA?
which one has the best humour?

another discussion related to it is welcomed
>>
Hint
Disney is NOT the answer to any of these.
>>
>>81402053

If we're talking about the entire body of work since 2010, yeah, Disney most certainly is.
>>
What's with those fucking shitty examples for pixar and dreamworks? fuck off
>>
>which one has the best overall quality?
Pixar
>which one has the best animation?
Disney
>which one has the best character design?
Disney
>which one has the best VA?
Pixar
>which one has the best humour?
Pixar
>>
>>81402113
Hey pal, MU was good
>>
>>81402113
They seem to based more on that four year time frame. Its not his fault that Pixar and Dreamworks haven't been as good as Disney
>>
Needs Blue Sky, Illumination and I cant remember the name of the guys who do Coraline.
>>
>>81402003
Disney is now between: "I just want to chill and wacth a movie" and "They made this? When?"

Pixar between "Oh! You got me off guard again you fuckers", "They forgot to renderize a story again!" and "BUI OR TOIS"

Dreamworks "They really put heart on this one", "Kinda cringy", "Lmao! Celebrity VA", "Sequel: We need money for the next real movie", "Did you know that we where founded by rich jews?" and meme movies
>>
>>81402229
>Blue Sky
>muh Ice Age

>Illumination
>muh Minions
>>
>>81402229
See Illumination movie list on Wikipedia

Upcoming movies:

>Despicable Me 3
>Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
>Emily the Strange
>Gospel for Teens

I have no words, thay made less than 5 movies and are already worst than Disney
>>
>>81402332
at first I really hoped they can compete with big studios like Pixar, DW and etc because Despicable Me is surprisingly good and heartwarming. I can't wait for what they've got next.
But no, they're milking DM franchise for the sake of Minions and that mediocre Dr. Seuss adaptation. If TSLOP and Sing were shit, I'm done
>>
>>81402330
>hating on Blue Sky
Both the Rio films were great.
>>
>>81402463
>Rio 2
>great
Rio is a great standalone movie, and that sequel was really unnecessary
>>
>>81402463
Go away brazil, you have unfunny Monica's gang flash animations to do
>>
>>81402229

For that period:

Blue Sky - Rio, Ice Age: Continental Drift, Epic, and Rio 2
Illumination - Despicable Me, Hop, The Lorax, and Despicable Me 2
Laika - Paranorman and the Boxtrolls

Pixar would also need Cars 2, Disney would add Winnie the Pooh, and Dreamworks would also need How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda 2, Puss in Boots, Rise of the Guardians, The Croods, Turbo, and Mr. Peabody and Sherman to fill in all of the films between 2010 and 2014.
>>
File: bhKp2.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
bhKp2.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>81402231

at least dreamworks sequels are pretty good.

Shrek 2, MG2, HTTYD2, KFP2...

Shrek 3 was *ok*, 4 you can skip.

yeah i'm not complaining here.
>>
>>81402556

It was still funny and good though.
>>
File: laika.png (4 KB, 300x163) Image search: [Google]
laika.png
4 KB, 300x163
its a trick question
laika is the only good animation company

their three feature films are better than anything pixar, dreamworks, or pixar has turned out in the last fifteen years

the fact that theyre all stop motion speaks for itself
>>
>>81402832
boxtrolls was underwhelming
>>
>>81402609
Not sure nowadays, but Monica used to be animated in China
Mauricio said so in a brazilian animator convention
>>
I like Shrek 1 and 2, the HTTYD and KFP franchises more than almost anything in Pixar or Disney's respective catalogues.
>>
>>81402003
Honestly Disney has surpassed Pixar in every category in recent years. From 2010 onward it's all been about Disney, with Pixar releasing two gems and a smattering of mediocre offerings.

Dreamworks isn't even in the same ballpark as Disney or Pixar.
>>
>>81402003
Dreamworks is the Cartoon Network of animation movie companies- they have the darkest and most serious of the big three, but unless they capitalize on that space they'll be left in the dust.

Pixar is like a bizzarro world Nick where they didn't fall into shit, and Disney is obviously Disney with hit or miss but with real heart.

Blue Sky is kinda meh, Ice Age will only be redeemed if Ice Age 6 has Nazi Zombies.

Illumination is so sad- Despicable Me was pretty good with showing a single father can still be a good parent. Then the second shat all over that.
>>
Are we just pretending Disney only started in 2010 or something? Because if we include the entire Disney canon, how is this a contest?
>>
>>81402556

The frog was the only great the thing about that film that va's vocals were beautiful
>>
>>81404617
To be fair, 2D Dreamworks had some great gems, too.
>>
>>81404885
All 3 of them?
>>
>>81402174
And other jokes.
>>
>>81404995
...Yes.

...Wait, I mean, no. I think not. I-I'm almost sure there were more, before 2000 even. Was the first Land Before Time from Dreamworks? An American Tail? Anastasia...?
>>
HTTYD is probably the best thing to come out of Dreamworks
>>
>>81402332
Emily the strange makes me have hope.
>>
Dreamworks hasn't been bad of late. Madagascar 3 was a lot of fun. HTTYD2 was quite good. Home was better than I expected. Kung Fu Panda 3 was not as good as 2 but still fun. The only crap movie they've mad of late is Shrek 4.
>>
>>81405913
>Home was better than I expected
because you have no expectation at first
>>
>>81402003
Which one pays their animators the most?

Trick question, they all got caught colluding and wage fixing. Expect them all to open up animation studios in Korea soon.
>>
I feel like Illumination has overtaken Dreamworks at this point. Despicable Me is the new Shrek from a box office and merch standpoint and just like mid 2000s Dreamworks (Shark Tale) even their side films (The Lorax) still do gangbusters. The Lorax had over 70 licensing deals. 70!
>>
>>81402003
Saying one is objectively the best is retarded. You should take their movies on a case by case basis since things from any of those companies can be either trash or GOAT
>>
>>81402749
HTTYD2 is garbage.
>>
>>81406003
Yeah, 70 licensing deals that Illumination ate the costs of because they were desperately shoving the advertising for that film down everyone's throat because they knew word of mouth would never sell it.
>>
>>81402131
If argue VAs, but otherwise perfect.
>>
Early 2000's it was Pixar versus Dreamworks. Shrek & Shrek 2 were brilliant. Madagascar was the first feature-length computer animated movie to have a style (the characters would stretch & exaggurate for comedic effect). Pixar was great as well.
>>
File: 1455741188898.png (569 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
1455741188898.png
569 KB, 1000x668
Laika is best.
>>
>>81402891
The only problem with boxtrolls was time constraints, if it had had an extra 30 minutes the story would have flowed better
>>

Dreamworks. This is the only one I'll fight you for. The rest is personal taste. DW's worst, most boring movies still look better than anything the other companies ever made.

Also putting Disney there is kinda unfair imo. It has WAY too many years more of movies. Change it for the other companies anons mentioned.
>>
can we agree that dreamworks is the best studio for making fantasy movies (considering diseny adapts most of their movies from already exsiting fairy tales
>>
>>81407031
>>Dreamworks. This is the only one I'll fight you for.
Zootopia and WiR look better than anything DW put out and yes I am including HTTYD
>>
>>81402749
Shrek 3 was god awful, Shrek 4 was just average
>>
>>81407119
I love DW but no. Shrek, HTTYD and RotG are all books, you just didn't know it.

>>81407122
I'll wait for the Zootopia's dvd to see it up close (loved the movie at least) but WiR? You wish. RotG's ice alone kicks its videogame ass.
>>
>>81402832
>Laika
>Not Aardman
>>
>>81407174
The fights in rise of the guardians is one of the things that seriously hurt that movie for me. It felt like a mess of make everyone do something with no sense of stakes or impact to any of the hits. Big Hero Six had a similar concept of a villain fight, made it way better looking with real actions, and didn't have to shake the camera and make it dark as hell to hide the shortcomings.
>>
>>81407174
ROTG is the most forgettable beautiful piece of animation desu. I remember I was so hyped when I saw the first trailer, the concept was interesting and unique. But I was disappointed by the final product, the story and the character wasn't that engaging and executed well, too much focus on Jack Frost, and there are some confusing parts.
>>
>>81407377
Don't take me wrong, RotG isn't perfect by any means. I like it but it has many flaws. But it still has some of the best animation ever, and DW only topped it when they released HTTYD.
>>
>>81402003
I honestly think Zootopia has set new standards for CG animation and world design in CG animated films
>>
>>81407458
the train scene was absolutely breathtaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj75bnsCM_k
>>
>>81407413
I like the movie but yeah it has big flaws and I won't blame the critics for giving it the score they did. Which is a pity because like you said the idea was good and the animation is fucking fantastic.

>>81407421
Oops meant to say HTTYD2
>>
>>81407504
I was really impressed with how the characters' animalistic qualities showed throughout the movie. Nick's twitching ears were so cool to see, and the fur looks soo good.
>>
>Pixar started out as the CGI movie company
>Now has the worst animation of the 3 after CGI became the standard
>>
>>81407786
>Now has the worst animation of the 3 after CGI became the standard
explain
>>
>>81407833
They always feel like they're working with constraints. Their locations are super set or picking very vague locations that don't carry much in the way of landmarks, their character animation isn't all that great, and they never really go that big on the action.
>>
>>81402003
Disney= Laika. Blue Sky come very close.
Disney, Pixar loses by a hair.
Disney. Best world designs too.
Disney or Pixar.
Dreamworks. Illumination only has retarded yellow guys. I think I'll stick with Shrek.
>>
>>81402332
>Not being hyped for Dr Seuss after they did really well with Horton Hears a Who

Wait...fuck that was Blue Sky
>>
>>81402744
holy fuck Dreamworks makes movies too fast

I actually loved Ice Age 4
>>
>>81410281
same screenwriter though
>>
>>81407031
Have you seen Blue Sky's Peanuts movie?
>>
>>81410387
Oh, well then good.
>>
>>81402003
Disney is currently the champ

Pixar is doing better than some people give credit, but can fuck off for doing another Cars

Dreamworks can double fuck off for cancelling Me and My Shadow and stooping to Home and Trolls.
>>
>>81407174
they are so different though. and most HTTYD fans pretend the books don't exist.

Shrek 1 and 2 are timeless satires that have nothing to do with the book.
>>
>>81410157
no, dreamworks has better animation,
and disney have been using the same face for nearly every female character.
>>
>>81402003
Pixar is the best
>>
File: 1390187958368.jpg (137 KB, 355x440) Image search: [Google]
1390187958368.jpg
137 KB, 355x440
If we were talking 00s, it would be Pixar as my favorite, but during the 10s, Dreamworks has stepped it up well while Pixar has been fumbling
>>
on a scale of great, good, ok, shit (in regards to notible films, you won't see good dinosaur or penguin of madagascar.)

Pixar:

Toy Story 3: great
Cars 2 : Shit
Brave: Shit
MU : ok
Inside Out: great

Dreamworks:

HTTYD: Great
KFP2: Great
RotG : good
Croods: good
HTTYD2: great
Home: Shit
KFP 3: Great

Disney

Tangled: great
Mars needs moms: shit
WiR: good
Frozen: good ( even though I hate it)
Bh6: good
Zootopia: great if its not over hyped ( I haven't seen it yet)
>>
>>81411225
While I will agree that Disney has a nasty tendency to copy and paste the stock Glenn Keanne female face, Dreamworks characters tend to look retarded. The proportions are sometimes off, they usually copy and paste a celebrity's face into a character's head, and sometimes it appears as if the designers couldn't come to a compromise, as sometimes the characters have weird cartoony yet realistic design. The best design here is with the Peabody and Sherman movie. Also in 2005 you could make the case that they had the best animation, but today they have been surpassed by several studios. Same thing with Pixar.
>>
File: image.jpg (333 KB, 712x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
333 KB, 712x1000
>>81411883
Here's a reference
>>
>>81411986
Cartoon faces look cartoonish.
More news at 6.

Seriously, I get what you mean, but I like this style. Minus that lady between the Hugh Laurie character and the... Missing Link was it?
>>
>>81405064
No, No, and No.
>>
>>81410387
And Jim Carrey is voice as Grinch, too?
>>
>>81411794
>Mars needs moms: shit
That's not part of the canon
>>
>>81402003
Tangled and Toy Story 3 are better than Shrek Forever After (Shrek 2 is the peak of the series).

WiR is better than Brave and Madagascar 3

MU and HTTYD2 is better than Frozen

They all have their ups and downs.
>>
What was the studio for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, again? That was one of my top CGI favorites.

>>81412499
My bad, I was almost sure. So it was what, Sinbad, Spirit, Road to El Dorado? What about Prince of Egypt?

>>81411986
Damn the 3D ones are generally fugly. Uncanny Valley is strong with those, too.
I still can't get over that fucking egg.
>>
>>81407174
RotG was so fucking beautiful. A shame that movie didn't do well. Probably the only DW movie, aside from Shrek and HTTYD, that's good. Rest is kinda garbage in DW.
>>
>>81407786
This is surprisingly true. I haven't thought of this, but judging from recent Disney and DW movies, Pixar needs to up its game. CGI for IO and Good Dinosaur was so-so.
>>
>>81402003
Bee Movie
Bee Movie
Bee Movie
Bee Movie
Bee Movie
>>
>>81413490
>unfunny tumblr memes
>>
>>81413532
>I don't agree, must be memes
>>
I posted a strawpoll to 4chan, reddit and tumblr ( alothough I don't think anybody from tumblr voted)

On which is the best movie since 2010

here are the results if your interested
http://strawpoll.me/7127110/r#

If you want to vote:
http://strawpoll.me/7127110#
>>
>>81413301
Yes, the Prince of Egypt was Dreamworks. Only those 4 movies are from 2D Dreamworks.
>>
>>81413569
Making fun of or "liking" Bee Movie is a tumblr meme, you stupid fucker.
>>
>>81414238
Hm... that's a pretty good score, then. Great animation, good soundtracks, mostly fun stuff.
>>
>>81407504
"Try Everything" heavily detracts from it because it's the blandest, dumbest shit I've ever heard.
>>
>>81413088
>That's not part of the canon
What? What does canon have to do with it?
>>
>>81413426
Inside Out had great animating character and neat little effects on all of them especially with the contrast between the real world and the inside world, but outside of HQ there sadly wasn't that much to see. Endless hallways full of glowing orbs, imagination land was weirdly flat, and the biggest miss of all is how lame the subconscious was. Great movie but sad visually.
>>
>>81413426
Good Dinosaur was apparently a clusterfuck of a production or something.
At least they had the full thing and didn't pull a Foodfight, that would have been hilarious.
>>
>>81411986
If that's a list of Dreamworks faces, some of these are really reaching. Especially some of the early ones that lift from screencaps rather than promotional art.
>>
>>81402053
ha
>>
>>81411188
Disney's movies are super differente from the original fairy tails too, so I fail to see your point.

>>81410391
Yes. It was pretty good. DW still kicks its ass.
>>
>>81402131
>>which one has the best character design?
I'd actually be a bit controversial in this one and say Dreamworks I think their character designs are much more interesting than either Pixar's or Disney's. I always feel Pixar and Disney play it very safe in this concern and other than that stupid smirk that the main protagonists in Dreamworks often have.
>>
>>81402749
>KFP2
Honestly I'd go as far to say this is there best film overall.
>>
>>81404485
>Dreamworks isn't even in the same ballpark as Disney or Pixar.

This, as much as I adore Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 and really like HTTYD and Shrek 1 and 2. They have far too much shit to even be considered as an entity.
>>
>>81402003
Dreamworks is really hit or miss. They will made a really good movie then follow it with a real shit movie. Then a good one then a totally forgettable one.

I remember seeing a couple previews for Home but totally missed it existing when it came out. Apparently it was just disappointing. But Kung Fu Panda 3 seems to be doing well.
>>
File: 2075.png (338 KB, 712x482) Image search: [Google]
2075.png
338 KB, 712x482
>>81402229
No need, they would not be in the running for anything.
>>
>>81405064
Those were Amblination, the studio that existed before being folded into Dreamworks.

Pretty decent but somewhat sub-epic compared to many Disney works. Especially in the early 90's when they were at their height.
>>
>>81418043
Amblin! That was it, then. Wasn't it the same from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
So I'm guessing Anna and the King was also from them, etc etc etc.

Hm I dunno, Land Before Time, at least, sort of feels like it belongs way up there with early 90s Disney.
Also, Ferngully, if it's also from them.
>>
>>81402003
>implying Dreamworks could be the best at anything nowadays
>>
>>81414580
Disney was only the distributor, the animation studio had nothing to do with it.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.