[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the things I really like about DC shit is that they make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (389 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
389 KB, 630x420
One of the things I really like about DC shit is that they make up their cities for their heroes.

Damn near everything takes place in New York in Marvel and it's ridiculous. In just the MCU New York is worse than fucking Detroit and has multiple super heroes and villains practically on the same block. Whenever I realize They are supposed to be in New York it takes me out of it.

In Gotham, Starling City, Central City or Metropolis you can make the city as grand, dangerous, shitty, huge or futuristic as you want with no worries and the stories are far better for it.
>>
>>81379077
>In Gotham, Starling City, Central City or Metropolis you can make the city as grand, dangerous, shitty, huge or futuristic as you want with no worries and the stories are far better for it.
Not really, since the only place DC bothers to make in anyway distinct is Gotham, and that's only in the sense that it's grimdark. Otherwise, the setting is every bit as generic as Marvel's.
>>
>>81379384

>Metropolis is generic
>Coast City is generic
>Central City is generic
>Star City is generic

Jesus Christ, it's getting easier and easier to spot Batfags.
>>
>>81379077

>Marvel fails to make the West Coast Avengers successful
>attempts to open the west coast back up again with Runaways
>California is now supposed to be a wild west of superheroes with the Pride vanquished
>Marvel literally adds zero new west coast heroes after Runaways

What went wrong?
>>
>>81379569
They are generic. There's nothing to set them apart aside from what heroes reside there.

And how dare you accuse me of being a Bat-fag. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>81379982
I thought the ghost town trying to rebuild thing that Coast City had going in the Johns run for a while was neat. And then in SCW they show just how stubborn everyone who lives there is for not leaving even when the population is like a thousand and supervillains are coming to try and nuke it again.
>>
>>81380132
And that lasted for about five minutes. Not good enough.
>>
>>81379921
X-Men started hanging around San Fran.
>>
File: OnepunchLex.png (208 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
OnepunchLex.png
208 KB, 1024x576
>>81379077
With that many heroes there, NY should be a shinning utopia. Those heroes suck at their jobs.
>>
>Metropolis is the city of tomorrow, what people in the 1920's thought that a city in the future would look like
>shiny glass and steel, marvels of civil engineering, technological advancement, and bustling business

>Gotham is the city of yesterday
>mired in past conflicts and curses, bad blood, corruption and buried secrets
>old fashioned gothic stonework that is starting to crumble apart and rust

Central City and Starling City are pretty generic, but those two have pretty distinct characters.

>>81380717
>With that many heroes there, NY should be a shinning utopia. Those heroes suck at their jobs

NY in the DCU is home to the JSA and Power Girl, and that's about it. Marvel is the one that loads it with heroes all across the board from street-level to cosmic-level.
>>
One of my favorite parts about the Starman series is how Opal City is portrayed.

I want to actually live there.
>>
File: Lexluthor-secretorigin.jpg (66 KB, 321x419) Image search: [Google]
Lexluthor-secretorigin.jpg
66 KB, 321x419
>>81380957
I meant NY in the Marvel U.
>>
The only thing I hate about the DC Original city donutsteel is that they all have a Times Square.

Like in Lois & Clark? The one with Pre-Flashpoint Superman? They visit Metropolis and they walk in Times Square.

Then in Justice League, Batman and somebody else'll be doing something in Gotham City, and it's got a Times Square.

Like holy shit, do Michigan Avenue or Sunset Boulevard or something else.
>>
>>81379384

What about Hub City?
>>
>>81381297
Hub City is like Detroit on steroids.
Well, back then it was. By today's standards it's probably just Detroit.
>>
Who else misses Sub Diego? The whole run was just a big cool exercise in building a Gotham for Aquaman. Shame the concept was done away with for the Nu52.
>>
It's why I'm having trouble believing the Marvel Netflix shows.
Daredevil season 1 I could buy with taking down Kingpin and the other gangs, including the corrupt cops.
Jessica Jones I can also buy cause the Purple Man was a loner.
Daredevil Season 2 has even more gangs get wasted by the Punisher, and fight some ninjas (Seriously, how does nobody spot THAT MANY NINJAS?)

So now we got Luke Cage that will take on ANOTHER corrupt politician? Hell, how many shows til NYC is clean of crime cause they can't come up with any more gangs?
>>
That's because most of the DC universe is expanded by acquisitions and mergers from other separate companies. Like a living, consuming organism. The MU was created by two or three guys. Writing what they know. Like a machine, that gets tuned everytime. The reason Mr.Lee created mutants was so he didn't have to create and think up an origin everytime. They were just born that way.
>>
>>81382532
>The reason Mr.Lee created mutants was so he didn't have to create and think up an origin everytime. They were just born that way.

The DCU has had metahumans too, people that just have powers for whatever the fuck reason.
>>
>>81382532
*know. New York City.
>>
I like that the DC world is bigger than Earth and a lot more high tech since they've got all the hero and villain run companies churning out crazy shit.
>>
Why would you even want to live in Marvel NY? It's like living in Stephen King's Maine. The answer is "No".
>>
>>81382343
>(Seriously, how does nobody spot THAT MANY NINJAS?)

Nigga do you hear yourself? Ninjas are just that, ninjas. You can't spot em which made sense in the context.

>So now we got Luke Cage that will take on ANOTHER corrupt politician?

Sauce, I thought Luke would be taking on Diamond Back who's a night club owner.
>>
>>81382553
Because it'd make sense for Luke to win seeing how his skin is unbreakable. Daredevil would probably have some Batman tier plot armor tho.
>>
>>81382553
Why isn't there a neutral "I don't care, long as the fight is entertaining" choice?
>>
>>81382771
*Cottonmouth. But, Black Mariah is confirmed to be his cousin. She's the corrupt politician.
>>
>>81382909
Well at least she's a fat black woman. We haven't seen that kinda super villain yet.
>>
>>81382553
>http://strawpoll.me/7258357
is saying yes agreeing that cage would win, or is it voicing approval that he won?

i kinda feel like cage would win in a toe to toe fight. but i also think that dd coming up with some creative way to take him down would be way more entertaining, and would rather read that
>>
>>81379569
>City of Tomorrow
>Generic City by Coast, home off Ferris Aerospace
>Home of the Flash, and like a faster paced Portland
>Generic Home of Green Batman

You know what's a truly unique DC city? Opal City. Opal's the one city aside from Metropolis and Gotham that feels like an actual starring character.
>>
>>81383037
>>81382909
The irony of there being a black male superhero beating up on his black female nemesis, doesn't escape me.
>>
>>81382200
It's East St. Louis which is why Hub in the O'Neil series was portrayed as a smaller city without giant monolithic skyscrapers and shit.

>>81381243
You are aware every major city has a "times square" style arts district or centre right? I mean fuck Pittsburgh has city center, Cleveland has Public square, etc. is it hard for Gotham or Metropolis to have one?
>>
>>81382343
to be fair DD is just trying to protect "the kitchen" which is about 4 blocks of NYC, and is mostly trendy shops and art lofts now and has almost no crime IRL much less, well, anything the DD show has..
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9 KB, 300x168
New York sucks and so does Marvel.
>>
>>81382532
>That's because most of the DC universe is expanded by acquisitions and mergers

Quick without naming "The Question" and "Captain Marvel" tell me what major huge acquisitions have created the DCU? Want to no name Wildstorm? That shit only got integrated like 3 years ago. Name one major character with an-going or major supporting role that was made solely from an acquisition.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.