[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This might start up the tired debate about if magic is science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: WeUnderstoodThisDifferently.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
WeUnderstoodThisDifferently.png
1 MB, 1024x768
This might start up the tired debate about if magic is science (technically sure if you can study it but I think it's splitting hairs. the issue is making magic into tech) but did removing the fantasy half of the Thor franchise help thematically connect the film to other Marvel films as intended? Do the majority of people who seen the films realize Thor is a alien from a high-tech world instead of some god? I'm unsure if a Krypton clone with a viking theme was really the best interpretation of the source material and I'm hoping Dr. Strange doesn't take a similar mundane route as it would harm him more.
>>
>>81367506
>actually thinking Thor is a Superman Clone
>not knowing that Thor the character has been around since long before comics were even thought up
>>
>>81368705
He said MCU Asgard was a Krypton clone
>>
>>81367506
I think it's more Asgardians understand magic to the point of it being science to them. A laptop is magic to a caveman.
>>
>>81368705
They obviously meant the mcu's version of thor, they're not even talking about comic thor, never mind mythological thor.
>>
>>81367506
Marvel/Disney don't want to offend the Bible belt

>HUUUURRR WE'RE NOT GODS
>>
>>81367506
It only hurt. It crippled one of the three pillars of comic strangeness for years. They're only starting to recover now. It also really fucks up a lot of Thor stories, that really don't work at all without them being gods who can visit the afterlife and such.
>>
>>81368794
Which Loki immediately points out is bullshit.

For all purposes, they are gods.
>>
>>81368794
Enter Dr Strange. At least Marvel hasn't been trying to portray Cap as Jesus like like in a few DC films.
>>
>>81368794
>HUUUURRR
>>
>>81367506
>did removing the fantasy half

They never removed that shit, you get so triggered by that dialogue that you forget the fliying mágic hammer, Frigga's spells, Loki's illusions, and all the other fantasy bs the movies do have
>>
>>81367506
The magic/science thing doesn't bother me as much as the lack of quality in the Thor movies.
>>
>>81368829
It still works, you just have to look at it as Magic being bigger than science itself.
>>
>>81368874
They did though depending how you look at it. Asgard is a planet in space and it's people are aliens in the same sense as the Kree. It didn't become too bad until Dark World.
>>
>>81368976
I do prefer the idea of them existing on a semi-imaginary plane of existence.
>>
>>81368905

Fucking this.
>>
>>81367506
>did removing the fantasy half of the Thor franchise help thematically connect the film to other Marvel films as intended?

Anon, they made a film where he literally starts out fighting a rock-troll and smashes it into pebbles and one before that where he's fighting ice-trolls. Where do you think the fantasy was taken out?

Do you imagine these films are sci-fi? Saying something is science doesn't mean there's any scientific basis for it; it's just a way of selling you a product without you thinking it's fantasy.

Worked a charm on you, dumbass.
>>
>>81370536
>>81368976
>>
>>81368829
I wonder how Ragnarok is going to work in the MCU
>>
>>81371445
Generic prophecy about Asgard getting rekt.
>>
>>81368794
But they are. Odin can say otherwise all he wants, but he's still the Odin people used to worship either way. They're gods.
>>
>>81373033
There's only one God, anon, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that
>>
File: 3295845-wwhx00122.jpg (225 KB, 1346x703) Image search: [Google]
3295845-wwhx00122.jpg
225 KB, 1346x703
>>81370536
That rock troll was a Kronan an alien race of sentient rockmen like Korg of the Warbound from Planet Hulk
>>
File: xan smirk.png (114 KB, 320x285) Image search: [Google]
xan smirk.png
114 KB, 320x285
>>81373170
Yup, the one true god is the one that tells his followers to blow themselves up in his name.
>>
File: Thor_vs._a_Kronan_03.png (1 MB, 1280x533) Image search: [Google]
Thor_vs._a_Kronan_03.png
1 MB, 1280x533
>>81373386
Movie pic for reference, I actually don't think the fantasy has been stripped from Thor as well
>>
>>81368976
>Asgard is a planet in space
It clearly isn't though, if you watch the movie. It's the "Realm eternal" and it's not even round, it's like a floating flat world with a false sky or something. And it looks like it's only accessible through a wormhole.
>>
>>81373470
...Holy shit deepest lore. Never notice this before.
>>
>>81367506
They said he will be casting spells and teleporting and doing all kinds of Wizard shit, so until proven otherwise I'll take that as a "yes, sorcery works".
Also, Loki performs his shapechanging and illusions with no technology available or needed to do them.
>>
>>81368794

anyone who would be offended by that was offended by Harry Potter. And I don't think that hurt their bottom line at all.
>>
>>81374864

Imagine a near future where your smartphone, fitness band / smartwatch, laptop and and 3d printer is all built into your own body via nanotech

Then you go for a vacation to Greece or some place in the middle east; and the cavemen there see you produce stuff out of thin air using verbal incantations. What would they think?
>>
>>81375170

but we aren't just talking about cavemen. The other Asgardians can't replicate everything Loki can do. That would be like you buying a smarphone and then walking outside and people right outside the shop are all mystified and can't figure out how you managed to get your phone to do all those fancy tricks.
>>
>>81375257
>The other Asgardians can't replicate everything Loki can do.

Not everyone in asgard is "asgardian", including loki (who is frost giant royalty). Yeah this doesn't consistently explain those movies but i think they don't want us to overthink it, like Star Wars, its "soft" science fantasy.
>>
Why is this even still an argument? When the people in charge of these garbage movies straight up said "the asgardians are not magical in any way shape or form, everything about them is tech based and they are aliens.", Why does /co/ insist that "N-n-no! they are magical!! Really!!!" It's not even up for debate at this point, it's just people being very desperate that they want this character to still have something mythical about him when there isn't any.
>>
>>81375497

death of the author fgt
>>
>>81375497
No one is saying it's an argument. I started the topic because I wanted to hear if people think it helped the movie as they intended and if people like casuals even pick up on it.
>>
>>81367506
>ut did removing the fantasy half of the Thor franchise
They didn't. Magic is real. Loki use Magic. Odin rely on Dark Magic to send Thor on earth. Thor has a Magic hammer that only allow worthy one to use the hammer.
>>
>>81368829
>It only hurt. I
But they never removed Magic.
>>
>>81377350
if you paid attention you'd have noticed it was implied Thor's Asgard is a highly advanced technological civilization that seems magical from a human perspective
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.