[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did he know who Batman was? Is this ever explained? Possibly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2
File: homo.jpg (129 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
homo.jpg
129 KB, 1200x600
How did he know who Batman was? Is this ever explained? Possibly in the uncut version?

It's easy to assume that after entering the Kryptonian ship, he learned about Kal-el (How does the ship know? Well it knows that its own homeworld got destroyed, so chalk it up to alien magic). But the Bruce Wayne issue is a lot harder to rationalize, since it seems that he's known for at least 18 months ever since McNoLegs started getting checks. He was already working to stir up anger in Bruce Wayne, which only makes sense if he knows that Wayne is Batman.
>>
>>81354919
Addendum: it's easy to speculate about how he *could* know - the same way various shady government organizations such as Cadmus can know, they just have massive surveillance powers and resources to spy on people. I'm just asking if there's an explanation to be found within the film.
>>
>>81354919
When did he ever imply he knew who Batman was?
>>
>>81355053
The rooftop convo with Supes
>>
>>81355053
>He was already working to stir up anger in Bruce Wayne, which only makes sense if he knows that Wayne is Batman.
I thought I had a solid grasp of the film, but maybe I'm wrong here. If you ignore the "YOU LET YOUR FAMILY DIE" writing on the stolen checks, then you can see it as Lex merely using NoLegs as a pawn, in a way that doesn't necessarily have to affect Wayne. But the writing was clearly meant for Wayne, to infuriate him. And during the Martha photo scene, Lex confirms that he left that message for Bruce.
>>
GEE, I WONDER HOW THE SMARTEST MAN IN DC COMICS FIGURED OUT SOMEONES IDENTITY
>>
>>81354919
You know the smart thing would have been to add a Batman file to the Lexcorp drive. Because you could have said Lex once speculated Batman was a metahuman given all the ghost stories people told and how little info there was on him
>>
>>81355181
See >>81354986.
>>81355195
I wouldn't be surprised if we actually get something like that in the final version... or maybe just 30 more minutes of comic panel shots.
>>
>>81354919
>Genius with massive amounts of money
>Knows someone is in Gotham with money and motivation to perform a one man war against crime using military grade tech
>started around the time a billionaire whose parents were killed in cold blood in front of him came back to town from traveling abroad for years
Gee I dunno
Its not like its the first time someone has guessed who Batman was. People have done it with less smarts and cash than Lex
It was sloppy not to mention it at all but honestly there are much bigger problems with the plot and narrative
>>
>>81355292
See >>81354986
>>
>>81355352
Why are you asking when you already know the answer then retard? No it wasnt addressed in the movie.
Boom
End of thread
>>
>>81355689
Fuck off, jackass. If you don't want to post ITT then leave.
>>
>>81355053

dude are you serious? did you watch the movie? serious question because Lex admits to supes that he was the one who sent Bruce all those checks with spooky writing on them, he was playing both Clark and Bruce all along
>>
>>81355718
I posted my answer and you disregarded it.
This movie does not hold anyone's hand and expects you to make assumptions based on knowledge of comic books. You were supposed to assume that Lex had already guessed both Batman's and Superman's identities because it has happened before.
Yes it was sloppy. Yes it could have done better. But there are a million bigger plot holes than how he fucking knew who Batman was.
>>
LEXCORP TOWER HELIPAD
Lex to Supes:
'Cause you, my friend, have a date; hmmm, across the bay. Ripe fruit -- HIS hate. Two years growing, but it did not take much to push HIM over actually. Little red notes, big bang, "YOU let YOUR family die". And now you will fly to HIM. And you will battle HIM ... to the death.

Black and blue. Fight Night! The greatest gladiator night in the history of the world. God versus MAN. Day versus NIGHT. Son of Krypton versus BAT OF GOTHAM.
>>
Neither Bruce nor Clark made ANY effort in this film to conceal their identities in any legit way. Both were incredibly obvious and did little to protect themselves.
>>
>>81359253
That still doesn't explain how he knew who Bruce was in the first place.
>>
lex could find out both their identities thru research but batman couldn't figure out who superman was.
>>
>>81359253

>Day versus NIGHT

Day versus Knight

>fixt
>>
>>81359896

I'm confident Batman didn't think Superman was really a "person" in the film. It's part of the whole "Save Martha" thing; it isn't just the fact that their mothers' share a name, it's more than Superman actually HAS a mother and that he's a person like Batman.
>>
>>81359510
I think you're going in circles here

Movie doesn't need to show how he knew who Bruce was. He just did sometime during the 20 years Bruce was in action
>>
Better question, how does Clark know that bats is Bruce?

He calls his name during their fight with no on screen explanation, as far as I can recall.
>>
>>81361076
This is never explained, and neither is Superman showing up right where Batman is just to say
>"Grr the Bat is dead"
And leave, without doing anything about Lex's goons. Seems like his information set is oddly limited here, as he knows where Batman is without knowing why.
>>
>>81361076
>>81361458
I think we're meant to assume he figures it out at Lex's party when he hears him speaking to Alfred. Alternatively he used his x-ray vision to see through Bruce mask when he threatened him or when he tried to reason with him.
>>
you dopes need to stop making excuses for poor film making

it was never explained
>>
"Lex Luthor is so smart! He knows everything! Of course we know how!"

No need to tell the viewers how he found out.

Movie opens with a batman origin story.

fuck off
>>
>>81354919
There's a very simple explanation for this OP, one that I'm honestly surprised passed you by.

The script is a fucking mess and Terrio couldn't undo the one-man fuckicane of terrible that is Goyer.
Not to mention, with Snyder at the helm, this was guaranteed to essentially amount to a Michael Bay film with more posturing and attempts at "woah so deep" subtext.

Seriously OP, how'd you miss that one?
>>
>>81361743
Why? What would explaining HOW Luthor find out possibly add to the story? He's smart, has absurd amounts of resources, Clark is careless, the explanation writes itself.

Didn't Hugo Strange figure out who Batman is by "constructing a psychological profile"? There isn't even precedent for you to throw your little nerdy tantrum. People hand-wave identity knowledge all the time. Because it's not important HOW they know, it's only important THAT they know.
>>
>>81361915
ok fine, we'll go what with you said.

does he know before or after his party when he introduces clark and bruce? I mean this would seem to make quite a difference, but we'll never know.
>>
>>81362117
is this meeting funny because they're both known super heroes to lex? are the stakes elevated? ah who knows, right?
>>
>>81362117
Its heavily implied he knows one if not both before the party. Most likely months before
He has been intercepting those checks for no legs from bruce for months
And Lois Lane is what caused Superman to "attack" that village so its not hard to figure out they know each other personally and from there that she is dating Clark
>>
>>81355689
He stated he was wondering if he missed where it was mentioned in the movie.

so he obviously did not know the answer. Don't be a whiny faggot.
>>
This is explained in the prequel comic. It says Lex was investigating Bruce for years before the film took place.
>>
>>81354919
Anyone with a brain knows who Batman is.
>>
Do you really need it fucking spelled out? Do you need a scene of Luthor exclaiming "of course, it's Bruce Wayne!"?

All you need to know is that he figured it out,because he's a genius.
>>
Why did Luthor even give a shit about Batman fighting Superman if he was just going to create Doomsday to fight Superman anyway?
>>
>>81362326
>/co/
>reading comics before shitposting
What do you expect them to be reasonable adults and get information before making a thread?
>>
>>81359896
Bruce didn't have access to the Kryptonian ship with files on Kal-El. As far as Bruce knew, Superman was just an alien who watched from above and intervened when he felt like it.
>>
>>81362381
Welcome to the future, my friend. Where everyone needs everything spoonfed to them. This is why casuals love Nolan's movies, he spoonfeeds everything to you through exposition every step of the way.
>>
Technically he doesn't even have to KNOW that Bruce Wayne is Batman, he just has to -think- that there's a pretty good chance that Bruce Wayne is Batman. I mean it's not like it costs him anything if he's wrong.
>>
>>81362381
>Fill in the blanks yourselves
Laziest screenwriting ever. Why not just tell us to imagine the whole movie in our head, so Goyer don't have to write a single word.
>>81362381
IIRC Doomsday was the last resort. He was gambling on Batman winning, since he knew that
1) his kryptonite was stolen
2) Batman was after his kryptonite
However, this also makes it kinda hard to believe he'd been planning this sequence of events all along. If Batman had successfully stolen the kryptonite the first time, Lex couldn't use it to slice Zod's fingerprints off or whatever. If he didn't go back a second time for the kryptonite, then he'd have no way of beating Superman. It's TDK Joker all over again.
>>
so whas that lex luthor's son??
>>
>>81362474
the idea of reading a poorly produced prerequisite comic before being able to enjoy a goddamn movie is troubling
>>
>>81362617
>Hunger Games
>Movie starts at "Let the games begin! BOOM"
>(To learn who Jennifer Lawrence's character is and why she's here, buy the book.)
>>
>>81362558

the film clearly establishes that Lex has been able to figure out the identities of WW, Flash and Cyborg , as well as locate Aquaman, before any of them were public heroes. After that, how is it any stretch to imagination to believe he also knew who Bruce and Clark were when he even blatantly says so and the plot clearly revolves around him manipulating everyone through the entire film fir long periods if tome?

How he knew is completely inconsequential.
>>
>>81362617
The comics were actually pretty good.
>>
The better question is what's stopping Lex from revealing Batman's identity to the public?
>>
>>81362713
Inb4
>because he's crazy!
Works for anyone, anytime.
>>
>>81361915
Hugo Stramge breaks it down quite well, narrows it down to gender, then age, then who in Gotham would have the cash means and physique to do it, that narrows it down to like a handful of male,young/middle aged physically fit wealthy socialites.
Then look at who would have a motivational drive to do it.
Hey Presto, if you don't land on Bruce Wayne you're not far off.
>>
>>81354986
Nothing specific, but Batman's been operating for 20 years, so as you say, yeah, it could be basically anything.
>>
>>81355181
>smartest man in DC comics

I know we aren't "everyone gets super genius" Marvel, but between Batman, Luthor, Ray Palmer, T O Morrow, Will Magnus etc (not Terrific, he's no. 3!) I'd say #1 is debatable
>>
>>81362713
He's seen as a crazy person and figuring out Bruce Wayne is Batman isn't the same thing as proving it. I don't think he ever really got the infrastructure necessary to expose Bruce's identity in a court of law.
>>
I don't know if I read too much into Lex, but it almost seemed like he wanted to get caught. I mean hes Lex I'm sure this is all part of the plan.
>>
>>81354919
He knew it before the movie start but I think that's not the problem of the movie. The flash, Nightmare scene, and Meta humans cameo completely ruined the movie for me, it completely fucked the pacing.

The higher up messing around ruin the movie again...fuck, I hate these guys.
>>
>>81359253
>"YOU let YOUR family die".
he's talking about Jack and some Wayne Corp employees here?
>>
Who was in charge for the score of this moive...I've never felt so violated. The score is part of the pace/emotion/suspense. Watch it again and tell me it isn't forced.
>>
Unrelated: How come almost everyone has a name in this thread?
>>
>>81368533
You weren't here at all yesterday?
>>
Hes spied on him for years
>>81361076
Xray vision dumbfuck

God i hate "plot hole" retards
>>
Mhm boys
>>
>>81368598
No. What happened?
>>
>>81355181
Lex was pretty fucking stupid in this movie, the only reason he seemed like a master mind is because Supes and Batman were even dumber.
>>
File: v april fools.png (7 KB, 632x86) Image search: [Google]
v april fools.png
7 KB, 632x86
>>81368637
April Fools.

Hiroshimoot turned 4chan into a parody of google+ in reference to m00t getting a job at Google.
>>
>>81368637
April Fools' caused every post to come with a randomly generated name. In addition, the CSS resembles iOS and images are cropped like in Google plus.
>>
>>81361915
>What would explaining HOW Luthor find out possibly add to the story?
Things infinitely more important than the Lois and the bullet subplot.
>>
>>81362427
hoping that they'd kill each other, no one likes sharing power.
>>
>>81368665
>>81368686
That shit's way too highbrow to pass off as an April Fools prank. Nippon should've just allowed us to say [pham]. [Shakemyhead] [tobehonest]
>>
>>81368773
They did that last halloween. It would be lazy of them to just do filters again.
>>
People keep saying "Lex figured it out because he's so smart" but he acts like a goddamn retard in this movie just stumbling around and somehow making things happen.
>Putting his blood on Zod's face creates a monster because ???
>He knew something like this would happen before the computer explains it because ???
>Has no idea if he will be able to control the monster
>can't, if Superman went to save Martha instead of Batman Lex would have died
>if Batman DID kill Supes Lex would have no way of knowing, Doomsday pops out and kills him
>Bombing the senate only works in his favor because Supes was a fucking idiot and refused to say anything about it
>was asking the senator could he legally bring the kryptonite in while he was already illegally doing it
>his "make Superman and Batman kill each other" plan only even works at first because at some point Supes just gives up on talking to Batman even when the kryptonite gas wore off and Batman couldn't do anything
Lex was just an adult retard surrounded by retards that are still in diapers.
>>
>>81364278
I think he is playing with the fact that Wayne could interpret it both ways. His employees or his parents.
>>
>>81369131
Wow, dude, you are so smart.
>>
>>81354919

Luthor's figured out Bruce's identity in the comics with little explanation too. Look at Azz's Luthor, and even Johns' Justice League.

>>81361076

He figured it out at the party, and has X-ray vision.
>>
>>81354986
There's a comic book pre-BvS where Luthor is surveilling both Supes and Batman.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.