[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think writers should have an obligation to research/read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: brought to you by wikipedia.jpg (59 KB, 627x594) Image search: [Google]
brought to you by wikipedia.jpg
59 KB, 627x594
Do you think writers should have an obligation to research/read as many comics as they can about the character they're about to write? Or is it okay if they just have some basic knowledge of the character and research everything else on wikipedia?
>>
>>81327282
Not necessarily, but they should work closely with editors that are.
>>
>>81327282
>Do you think writers should have an obligation to research/read as many comics as they can about the character they're about to write?
No
>>
Writers need to do research about the thing they are writing, yes. What kind of a question is this?
>>
>>81327319
This, Authors are going to be cunts no matter what. Editors are the frontline for quality and keeping right.
>>
>>81327282
I don't know about obligated, but I'd read source material if I was a writer. I would probably use Wikipedia though as a cliffnotes/way to remember or keep track of certain things though.
>>
>>81327282
I'm really excited for her Batgirl, I just hope it isn't le quirky shit like current run or Batman with boobs like Simone shit.
>>
>>81327282
As many as possible? Nah. That's being unreasonable.

But it's not unreasonable to expect them to have read some of the major arcs and a few randoms to get a feel for the character.

Same goes for actors/directors/screenwriters for adaptations.

You'd think this would be common sense, of course. If you're gonna write something... *anything*... you always do research first. Doesn't matter if it's a term paper, a dissertation, a novel, or a comic.
>>
>>81327282
Well they should have EDITORS who'd know this shit, but using wikipedia could be helpful if it isn't the main character you're writing.
>>
>>81327404
A lot of writers don't take comics seriously and just see it as a medium to just kind of let loose or experiment.
>>
They should read the best runs and wiki the bad ones.
>>
I think they should read the previous run, and maybe some 'best of'.

But that's mainly the editor's job, to keep everything consistent.
>>
>>81327411
Yeah, but that's dumb. You should treat any medium as seriously as you would treat your favorite.

I don't play a lot of videogames and I don't take them that seriously as a medium, but if someone hired me to write a story/dialogue for a game, I'd sure as shit do some research first and play some examples with good (and terrible) writing in them to give me a point of reference.

Just because I don't respect a particular medium doesn't mean other people don't.
>>
>>81327462
I know it's bullshit. I'm just explaining where this woman is probably coming from. I mean Sandman came form that kind of thinking so it's not an all bad way of thinking
>>
>>81327282

Nocenti didn't read any Catwoman. Look what happened with that.
>>
>>81327282
No. I appreciate when they do, but it's not an obligation.
>>
>>81327282
>+(You) this post
Oh jeez....

But anyway, wikipedia might be an okay starting point but at least a few comics should be read. Assuming they aren't being given a detailed character bible to start with.
>>
>>81327282
>this thread
>all these faggot apologists for poorly researched comics

Fuck all of you. In order to get to write a comic, the bare MINIMUM requirement should be to have read every other comic with that character in it. Without that, you get Adam Beechen.
>>
>>81327282
Yes, absolutely. And editors need to do their damn jobs too.
>>
>>81327282
>Do you think writers should have an obligation to research/read as many comics as they can about the character they're about to write?
Nothing is wrong with researching something you know little about. At least try to understand the settings and characterization of the places and people you're writing about.
>>
There are times you can really tell someone just read the wiki and didn't go read the actual comic in question
>>
I think it depends. The writer should definitely read the best of the main character they were writing. So, if a writer is writing Animal Man they should read the best Animal Man stories. But if they include another character as a side character, especially if they are a little more obscure, then they can read off of Wikipedia.
>>
Comics companies should hire entirely based on how many of their comics you've read (with preference to ones featuring the character you'd be writing for).
>>
>>81327282
they should have character bibles, core ideas and designs, do's and donts and current history. because shit, canons are snarled like a mother fucker
>>
>>81327282
I'd say there should be some sort of franchise control going on.
Either writers or editors/consultants. Then again it's bias anyway.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.