[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I miss being a Marvel fan in the 90s its not cool anymore its a meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13
File: Ironman.jpg (16 KB, 384x224) Image search: [Google]
Ironman.jpg
16 KB, 384x224
I miss being a Marvel fan in the 90s its not cool anymore its a meme
>>
iron man dabbin
>>
Why would you be a Marvel fan in the fucking 90's? DC I get, but Marvel? Seriously? Unless you're talking about the late 90's, but even then...
>>
>>81315931
It was never cool, you tetrahedron.
>>
Two period in my life did cape comics get so bad i stopped reading entirely
93-98 (mostly the constant shitty Spider-man events)
and 2010-2015 (blackest Night remains one of the worst comic event ever written, and Siege wasnt much better)
>>
>>81315931
You just said the 4chan equivalent of "i liked it better before it went mainstream.

Kill your self
>>
>>81315931

SUPERIOR TECH
>>
>it's not cool anymore
This is why you are who you are: it wasn't cool then.

It's cool now because normies decide what is cool.

You're doing it backwards and that's why you're here.
>>
>muscle tone on the armor
>>
File: 1458774061121.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458774061121.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>81315931
fucking nostalgiafags
>>
>>81315964
Are you another one of those 4chan trend hoppers who now wants to trash X-comics at every opportunity?

Because you sound like one of those 4chan trend hoppers who now wants to trash X-comics at every opportunity.
>>
File: ironman-fullmvc2.jpg (51 KB, 318x585) Image search: [Google]
ironman-fullmvc2.jpg
51 KB, 318x585
>>81315931
>>
>>81316255
What the fuck are you even talking about? Speak English, please.
>>
File: tony.jpg (592 KB, 1186x800) Image search: [Google]
tony.jpg
592 KB, 1186x800
>>81316147
Say that to my face in real life not online and see what happens
>>
>people remember the licenced Marvel fighters by Capocm more fondly than most of Capcom's own original fighters
>>
>>81315931
>>81316322
best armor ever
bleeding edge a shit
and fuck extremis too
>>
>>81317712
What does that even mean?

People love Kingdom Hearts more than they love Square's original characters...

Wonder why that is
ITS ALMOST AS IF AMERICAN CULTURAL ICONS ARE.....

MORE POPULAR THAN VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS

As far as the games go only complete plebs actually think any of them are "the best", the appeal isn't how good the gameplay is it's that they use popular iconic characters you dunce
>>
>>81316327
There aren't really any big words there to confuse you, anon. It's a pretty straight forward assertion that you're just shitting on the mutant era of Marvel because everyone else does and you're a faceless nobody in a crowd.
>>
>>81319941
I didn't even mention the mutants. Holy shit are you delusional.
>>
>>81316070
>confirmed born in '99
>>
>>81315931

fuck man, that is some lovely artwork

can we get some more shiny 90's in this thread?
>>
>>81315964
What's the issue?
>>
>>81319941
Mutant era of marvel? Dude what are you fucking stupid. Not that guy but the 90s were mostly a shit time as a marvel fan. And i'm a fucking lifelong marvel fan. I enjoyed some early 90s Fabien/Jim/Claremont X-men but the 80s was the time for mutants son.
Between the best stories Claremont ever fucking wrote leading into the 90s, not to mention x-factor with all that apocalypse shit.
I mean the decade kicked off with the fucking dark phoenix saga and had inferno, days of future past, fall of the mutants not to mention the mutant massacre.

90s had some good stuff mind you but when it came to the x-men the 80s had the most iconic memorable shit.

Plus beyond early x-men stuff and todds shit on spider-man the 90s was a lot of garbage. Thats not a meme thats just how shit is and doesnt require jumping on a bandwagon.

Most of the 90s for marvel comics was a lame time to be a marvel fan until the late 90s when the marvel knights line kicked in. If not for that and maybe the joe kelly first run on deadpool i'm not sure if id still be a marvel fan.
>>
>>81319993
Fuckin 90s kids. So into their lame decade they honestly think people who aren't up it's ass must have been born too late.

You guys enjoying your clone saga and Heroes reborn. Yeah shit got so good in the 90s huh. All that fucking rob liefeld art and the birth of 9 million variant covers for every goddamn issue.
>>
I liked Captain America's 90s stuff.
>>
>>81315964
>DC
>90s
Did you mean Vertigo?
>>
File: Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg (538 KB, 800x1075) Image search: [Google]
Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg
538 KB, 800x1075
>>81320502
Okay i know there were other actually good Cap stories during that decade....but you kinda set yourself up for that one.
>>
File: Fate_0001.jpg (82 KB, 416x640) Image search: [Google]
Fate_0001.jpg
82 KB, 416x640
>>81320575
Psht, not posting most boss 90s redesign for DC.
>>
>>81315964
But early 90s were better.
>>
File: spidermancyborg.jpg (540 KB, 994x1524) Image search: [Google]
spidermancyborg.jpg
540 KB, 994x1524
>>81320404
>todds shit on spider-man the 90s was a lot of garbage

I actually like his stuff and Larsen's.
>>
>>81320489
>You guys enjoying your clone saga and Heroes reborn
FUCK YOU, the Clone saga was a billion times better conceptually and even execution wise then Heroes Reborn, DO NOT lump them together you miserable fuck.
>>
>>81320580
I mostly meant volume 3.
>>
>>81320404
They'll ignore this post because then they won't be able to be a contrarian. Fucking /tv/ and the Star Wars general on /co/ love the prequels now and complaining about overuse of bad CGI will just be met with replies of "MUH PRACTICAL EFFECTS" in reference to the OT. Fucking hate this elite taste bullshit.
>>
>>81320643
I said besides todds shit. i dug his spider-man run. the art was so fucking spooky at times. Like his lizard and mobius are easily my fav. And holy shit that crossover with wolverine that had wendigo.

>>81320636
Dude come on. I know you liked early 90s but i'm sorry none of that shit was on the level of the Marvel Knights line. That was when writers became king in Marvel again. The Priest Black Panther run, Paul Jenkins inhumans, Kevin Smith on Daredevil, Doc Strange flight of bones.
>>
File: crying god.png (145 KB, 509x368) Image search: [Google]
crying god.png
145 KB, 509x368
>Capcom Marvel games from the 90s
>Spider-Man saves the day, goes back home to his wife Mary Jane
>he is happy
>an intelligent Hulk saves the day, goes back home to his wife Betty
>he is happy
>the X-Men are close knit core, Cyclops and Jean are a happy couple, Xavier is the wise mentor, Iceman is the innoncent jokester, Wolverine is fine being cucked, etc.
>they are happy
>heroes are fine being heroes, villains are fine being villains
why can't we return to these times

not the ridiculous plots of the 90s, mind you, just the normal scenarios and settings where the heroes got along with each other and they were genuinely happy

why
>>
>>81320808
Yeah no that's fair, Marvel Knights and Deadpool have been brought up and sure, they're gems.
But a lot of the late 90s was shit besides them, I'd say the shitty parts of the early 90s were less shit than the shitty parts of the late 90s if that makes sense. Like Maximum Carnage>Clone Saga.
>>
>>81320404
>Dude what are you fucking stupid
Are you? Seriously, I'm really asking if you are stupid or have memory loss.

The 80s saw a much more diversified Marvel than the 90s. A strong take on Spider-Man, Avengers on point, Miller on daredevil, etc.

The 90s launched full steam ahead on X-lore with Lee while pretty much destroying Spider-Man, the Avengers, and finally burying the FF. There was literally no one else but mutants that Marvel turned to for consistent storylines that people would be interested in until the last part of the decade. This isn't saying the 80s weren't a good time for mutant books, but the 90s were when they were the true flagship title and it very much was the mutant era for Marvel.

Just educate yourself or be quiet, though.
>>
>>81320715
It blows me away people actually enjoy the clone saga unironically. I'm not saying you shouldn't. I hate it but I'm sure i like shit others hate (i seem to be the one fucking guy who thinks dark reign and the dark avengers were amazing comics go fig) but it is just so weird to me.

I remember being in maybe freshmen year of high school and every friend i had just miserable because of how much they fucking hated what they were doing with spider-man. The appearance of that blue vest wearing fruit cake scarlet spider was like the sound of a funeral dirge.
>>
>>81320808
>Like his lizard and mobius are easily my fav

If Todd excels at one thing it's character design.
>>
>>81320575
JLA, Legends of the dark knight, starman. DC just crushed Marvel
>>
>>81320935
No sorry. The idea that the 90s were the time for mutants because everything else was so shitty doesn't mean it was the mutant era. The mutant era is the one in which the mutant books were the best. and that just wasn't the 90s. And this is coming from someone whose fav story is age of apocalypse.
You act like the strength of the x-men was what put those guys down. IT wasn't. It was the popularity of the art. Lee and liefeld were fucking dynamos who outsold everything else in existence. The stories however besides AoA and the early early 90s wolverine stuff were just not that noteworthy.
>>
No, friend. It was a meme in the 2000s. When people make joke videos about Marvel VS Capcom. MY SUNDAY BEST...!

Now it's just straight up mainstream. Congratulations. You're a normie.
>>
>>81321028
I feel like people don't give Peter Davids run on Aquaman enough credit. I passed up on it because 'psht this is lame, fucking aquabeard with a harpoon hand. I dont need this wannabee badass bullshit'.

but those were some fucking good aquaman stories.
>>
>>81321039
Okay, I see: So you're splitting hairs to form an argument and are insisting that, despite the fact that Marvel put everything they had into bolstering mutant books and making it a media juggernaut, it wasn't truly their era because the stories suck and instead refute the claim by saying that it was... nobody's era at Marvel. Despite the amount of books the X-Men had, the media presence, the money generated, the talent they put into it, the fact that mutants appeared in every other book as a form of synergistic tie-in... Not their era.

Wow. You are one stupid sad sack of shit and should feel ashamed of yourself for thinking for one single moment that you could muster up even half of an argument with such an idiotic understanding of comics.
>>
>>81321149
Jesus fuck faggot, take it easy.
>>
>>81321256
>I got found out but you're a faggot!
You're a credit to humanity.
>>
>>81321069
Yeah, aquaman was great, but pretty much every decade since the 60s had great runs, that's why aquafags (all 5 of them) get so mad when people says Johns was the first guy to do anything good with the character.

Aquahobbo was well loved, i remember the "total Justice" toys. His Total Justice toy sold great.
>>
>>81321039
>>81321149
>>81321256
>>81321324
Children, please.
>>
>>81320938
>i seem to be the one fucking guy who thinks dark reign and the dark avengers were amazing comics go fig
No I love that era also. Co only hates Dark Avengers because they hate Bendis.
>>
>>81321149
>Not their era.
no...if the stories weren't that good for the most part it was not there era.
How is this difficult to understand. If you are going to say something is 'the mutant era' I would imagine it is the one for which the mutant shit was most memorable, most loved, most iconic. Not the era they happened to be less shit than everyone else. What kind of fucking logic is that?
So yeah the mutant era was the one in which the x books had the best quality as books. That was not the 90s.
>>
>>81321409
I would totally go back and read some of that but god damn I am so tired of that older style of comics.
>>
>>81320643
>>81320808
McFarlane will forever be my favorite Spider-Man artist
>>
The 90s was the best because every cartoon intro was 80s style heavy metal
>>
That Iron Man cartoon made me think that Mandarin was some really powerful major player in the comics. Later found out he was much lower tier than that and was not the scheming mastermind of all villains like he was portrayed in the show.

Was disappointed.
>>
X-Men was the only thing that was good in the 90's.

>Spiderman was all clones and crap
>This was when Fantastic Four floundered and fell apart
>Avengers were rebooted a few times and mostly dropped for not being edgy and extreme enough
>majority of Marvel books were cancelled that were not X-something or Spider-something
>>
It may have been late in the decade but 90's marvel gave us Thunderbolts. One of my favourite runs to this day.

I'm hard pressed to think of anything else not X related. Maybe Kellypool.

Wasn't there a good hulk run in there or was that just early 00's?
>>
>>81324489
>I'm hard pressed to think of anything else not X related. Maybe Kellypool.

Harder pressed than I thought. I see my mistake no need to reply.
>>
>>81321324
I wasn't the one you were arguing with, the whole wave of insults was entirely unnecessary, you're discussing funnybooks.
>>
>>81320881
Civil War ruined everything
>>
>>81323303

Agreed. Early 90s X-Men will always be the definitive incarnation to me.
>>
>>81323199
I've read jackshit on Iron Man but if this is the case then why do people bitch so much about the Mandarin twist ruining IM3?
>>
>>81324809
Because Mandarin could have been cool as a movie villain even if he is a D lister.

He's a fighting old man with alien rings that all have different crazy super powers. He's basically science Shang Tsung
>>
>>81324861
That's a good point but people hyped him up like he's some slightly underlooked B-tier villain who's always fucking shit up. If they would've always said "MUH POTENTIAL" that would've been fine but instead it was more "MUH MANDARIN"
>>
The 90s marvel cartoons had RAD openings

And that's about it
>>
atleast you people are self-aware
>>
I like it whether it's cool or not. Because I'm uncool. And autistic. And fat. I don't care.
>>
>>81324939
Well, he's important to Iron Man. In Iron Man's world he's an A lister , but Iron Man's world is D list as far as the greater universe is concerned. Iron Man in the greater universe is far more important as an Avenger than he is a solo character, and therefor any of his solo enemies.
>>
>>81324569
Well don't you worry, now it's getting ready to ruin everything on the big screen.
>>
>>81315964
>Why would you be a Marvel fan in the fucking 90's?

I was because I was 12 and Onslaught seemed cool.
>>
>>81325068
Ah, gotcha now. At first I thought you meant that he was even a D-list Iron Man villain. Now, I could understand. It'd be like them fucking up Papa Midnite or Dr. Sivana or any Image villain.
>>
>>81324652
>Agreed. Early 90s X-Men will always be the definitive incarnation to me.

Yeah, the Blue & Gold era was easily the peak.
>>
>>81325083
And then head back to comics for Civil War 2: Why Does This Keep Happeningaloo
>>
>>81320881
>>Heteronormal relationships = happiness
It's 2016
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81325514
my sentiment
>>
>>81315931
>90's comics aren't cool anymore

who the fuck says this? they're silly and charming but there are a ton of cool shit. Case in point: the Modular Iron-man suit you just posted, it is not only the best suit ever, we got that suit in the animated series, we got it in MVC, shit man I just started reading Planetary by Ellis that started in '99 and it's been great.
>>
>>81316110
YOUR MOVE
>>
File: spongebob disgust.jpg (32 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
spongebob disgust.jpg
32 KB, 500x370
>>81315964
>Why would you be a fan of Marvel when Marvel was at its best
>>
>>81315964
There was a lot of cool shit going on in Cosmic Marvel.
>>
>>81320756
That's an awful lot of projecting you're doing there pal.
>>
>>81330007
Um... that would be 70s Marvel, bruv.
>>
>>81315964
So I could read the 90s Wolverine comics, the very same comics that got me into comic books.
>>
>>81315955
Underated
>>
>>81330785
Not really even that big a fun of Star Wars just butthurt about all the elitism and contrainism in general and thought the pretty much universally hated SW prequels getting so much love was pretty much the epitomy of this shit.
>>
>>81331422
You seemingly cannot comprehend the notion that somebody could reach a different conclusion on the same topic as you. That is a limitation, perceived elitism or no.
>>
>>81323199
He was for a while. But then they pushed him aside to make Obadiah Stane Tony's ultimate enemy. Once Obadiah died Mandarin never got back his status.
>>
File: image.png (522 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
522 KB, 1024x600
>>81329438
Let's get one for JJ.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.