[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black _Manta >In this orig
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13
File: 180px-Blackmantaunmasked.png (134 KB, 180x315) Image search: [Google]
180px-Blackmantaunmasked.png
134 KB, 180x315
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Manta

>In this origin, the boy who would become Black Manta was an autistic orphan placed in Gotham City's Arkham Asylum.
>it is revealed that Black Manta is actually black, whose stated objective at one point was for black people to dominate the ocean

All this time, Aquaman's been beating up on an autistic black rights activist
>>
>(though this goal was revealed to be a ruse he used to trick Cal Durham into following him, and this objective was not at all evident in either his earlier or later appearances)
>>
>>81305698
It's just funny to say that one of the most retarded superheroes main enemy is a civil rights activist with a learning difficulty.
>>
>>81305633
You would think that a normal unpowered guy who keeps trying to conquer...the ocean...over and over again fighting a water breathing guy in a kingdom he cannot even reach is pretty damn autistic.

There is just no motivation you can give him that does not come off as retarded.
>>
File: filmationep23f.gif (66 KB, 410x308) Image search: [Google]
filmationep23f.gif
66 KB, 410x308
>>81305969
He does have an army of Manta-men though
>>
>>81305868
yeah but he was just pretending to care about civil rights, he just hates Aquaman
>>
>>81306021
FEED THE MANTA RAY, FEED THE MANTA RAY
>>
>>81305633
Wasn't there a point when Black Manta thought Aquaman was dead and retired from villainy to sell fish

Then heard Aquaman was alive, killed everyone in his shop and went back to being insane?
>>
>>81306123
Didn't they do that exact story with the Joker?
>>
>>81306123
Half of the heroes have villains that are just infatuated with the hero a bit too much.

They probably would just go do something normal if their husbando dies.
>>
File: Devilray.png (85 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
Devilray.png
85 KB, 350x263
Remember that time he was called Devil Ray?

Also I know it's dumb but Black Manta is legitimately one of my favorite DC villains, right after Goldface.
>>
>>81306336
They had to call him Devil Ray because the rights to Aquaman characters belonged to another studio or something. Also, I get why people like him - he's pretty iconic.
>>
>>81306155
Yes. Black Manta is literally a poor man's Joker. Same with Zoom.
>>
>>81306411

At least Black Manta and Zoom have a bit more going on with them than CRRRRAAAAZEEEE CHAOS SCAREE CLOWN!!!

Fuck the Joker.
>>
>>81306532
I kind of agree - The Joker is a really over-exposed character. One of the few good things about Beware the Batman was that they actually tried some of the lesser-known obscure Batman villains (see also - Smallvile season 11)
>>
Black Manta would be a great villain to hench for.
>travel the Seven Seas
>cool costume
>lots of sea food
>lowish chance of villain killing you for no reason
I'd apply.
>>
Black Manta and Zoom can still be threats outside of their main books and against other heroes. Joker is a crazy guy that typically just robs banks and uses guns. Most heroes would not have a whole lot of trouble with the guy.
>>
File: Legion_of_Doom.jpg (44 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
Legion_of_Doom.jpg
44 KB, 400x290
I know it'll probably never happen, but I truly want to see the classic Legion of Doom line-up from Super Friends in the DCEU
>>
>>81306757
Grodd might be a tough sell for the DCEU.
>>
File: tumblr_mn9op4xT9y1rs0jwho1_500.jpg (32 KB, 500x447) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mn9op4xT9y1rs0jwho1_500.jpg
32 KB, 500x447
>>81306757
>tfw Grundy never got those pants
>>
>black person
>good swimmer

Suspension of disbelief shattered
>>
>>81306677
Joker hasn't been robbing banks. I can't remember the last time he did something like that. He's been setting up master plans against the Bat family. He almost destroyed Gotham.
>>
>>81306532
He's also not the only one with that gimmick.

Prankster, Creeper, Trickster, there are a lot of guys doing the "I'm so crazy I'm a supervillain" thing.
>>
>>81306835
>Race of super water-dwelling people
fine
>Black guy being a good swimmer
too far
>>
>>81306757
Forever Evil is the closest you'd get
>>
>>81306797
They did him in Flash. And with the recent pLanet of the Apes movies, it's not like audiences haven't seen any super-intelligent evil apes in movies.
>>
>>81307148
The Flash has a different level of "seriousness" though.
I can't imagine the DCEU Lex sitting around a table with a talking gorilla
>>
>>81306757
I always thought that team was really underpowered, especially against the Superfriends.

Superfriends get the trinity, GL, Flash, and Firestorm.

Villains mostly have Bizarro, Sinestro, Grundy, and Brainiac. And way too many normals in pajamas. Scarecrow, Toyman, and silver age Cheetah really bring nothing. Cold and Riddler are somewhat helpful but still really outmatched. Lex is not even the smartest smart guy in the room.
>>
>>81307205
That's the problem with this tone they've created. Hopefully by the time Aquaman comes around, the films will embrace the more goofy elements of the comics
>>
>>81307233
Yeah, they'd have to change around the line-up. something like this:
>Lex Luthor
>Sinestro
>Black Manta
>Joker
>Ocean Master
>Deathstroke
>Captain Cold
>Giganta
>>
>>81306123
Yes, in Brightest Day.
>>
>>81307087
Neither of the Tricksters have been crazy. James was just quirky and playful, and Axel just likes the excuse to have fun and be destructive.
>>
>>81305868
>one of the most retarded superheroes
Not even close. Not even in the main Justice League.

>>81306081
>>81305698
Has any other super villain gone this far just to fuck with their nemesis's publicity?
Shit like this is why Manta is such a great villain he goes to lows very few villain would even consider. Heck, he even recently joined the DC equivalent of Isis, only to quit and just tell everybody it was a ruse all along.
>>
>>81306657
I'm with you, man.

>get a cool costume that lets you breathe underwater
>steady pay, probably work 3 months 1 month off like sub operators and oil platform workers
>>
>>81306677
I hate the fact that every other time we get a big crossover we have to have a Joker moment where someone jobs to him to show "WHOAH THAT JOKER SURE IS DANGEROUS EVEN WITHOUT POWERS "
>>
File: e75.jpg (7 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
e75.jpg
7 KB, 252x200
>>81305633
>autistic
>better take him to Arkham Asylum
>>
>>81306120
slaves mate?
>>
>>81306797
doubt it
>>
File: image.gif (151 KB, 350x565) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
151 KB, 350x565
>>81305633
You're confused.
Black Manta doesn't have a goal beyond hating Aquaman and making his life complete shit.. His origins and motivations have changed three different times now, and one of those three was revealed outright by him to be a lie he told just to fuck with Aquaman and the second was fixed and then he laughed and continued to fuck with Aquaman.

Black Manta HAS no motivation.
He is the purest example of an arch-nemesis ever created, existing completely and entirely to ruin Aquaman's fucking life. He's not even mentally ill like the Joker.

He just really fucking hates Aquaman.
>>
>>81312043
>implying he isnt the most dangerous fucker on the planet
>>
>>81312750
Nope. That would be Black Manta.
Joker had exactly ONE success against Batman, The Killing Joke, and half of it (crippling Barbra) was an accident on his part and he had no idea of the connection.
Black Manta has gotten away with a lot fucking worse a lot more often and he isn't laughing or making jokes about it.

The Joker is a fucking clown. Literally.
Black Manta is a psycho who hunts down your whole fucking family and cleans them like fish just because he wants to hurt you.
>>
What was the one story where Black manta tried to make an underwater civilization for black people but when Aquaman showed up to stop him he called him a racist?
>>
>>81310399
No.
>>
>>81312737
And we don't even know the bastard's name.
But what does he do when Aquaman's dead? He fucks off. Stops being a villain.

Opens a fish shop.
>>
>>81313849
>we'll know the Joker's real name before we'll know Black Manta's
>>
It makes me curious, just what the living fuck did Aquaman do to make such a relentless, hateful villain for himself? Goddamn.
>>
>>81314539
The guy is autistic, so maybe he said something mean about Sonic
>>
File: BLKMANTA3.jpg (118 KB, 578x877) Image search: [Google]
BLKMANTA3.jpg
118 KB, 578x877
>>81314539
I like to think he got stung by a jelly fish at the beach and takes it out on Aquaman because he's the king of the sea.
>>
>>81314539
Allegedly killed his father. Likely, nothing. Maybe BM bumped into Arthur on the street one day and didn't apologize.
>>
What are some other /co/ characters that are canonically autistic? Reed Richards is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.
>>
>>81313849
His legal name is
>"I Fucked Your Wife and Killed Your Son"
It's part of a long-term troll so when he gets arrested and Arthur checks up on him in prison and he sees that his legal name he can troll Arthur without leaving his cell.
>>
>>81314539
Killed his dad, but that's the third explanation they've offered now.
I don't believe it's the real cause ant more then the other two were.
>>81314623
>>81316056
He's not Autistic anymore. Arthur "cured" him.
Given that the next thing he did was attack Aquaman I'm guessing he was never actually autistic at all and he just did it to fuck with Aquaman, same as the black rights thing.
>>
>>81307087

But Creeper's a good guy.
>>
>>813072999

As if villains like Cold would ever consent to being in the same room with homicidal nutbars like the Joker
>>
>>81316056
Legion, according to wikipedia
>>
File: good plan.jpg (139 KB, 438x434) Image search: [Google]
good plan.jpg
139 KB, 438x434
>>81314539
>>
>>81312737
Yea biggest issue I see is that there really is no profit in hating on Aquaman for a baseline human. It actually COSTS money each and every time he tries to fuck with an Atlantean.

Pay for a boat, pay for fuel, pay for supplies, pay for air tanks and scuba gear, then pay for whatever supervillain machine he will use. So much cost for....fight Aquaman again. If he succeeds then he is still out a shitload of cash.
>>
>>81314539
he existed
>>
>>81312750
Yea and all the heroes and villains that are not threatened by a gun cannot give a shit.

Joker is dangerous to non armored street levelers. Everyone else he is just a face painted thug with a gun.
>>
>>81318116
Maybe he was married to the sea

Then the sea started fucking his best friend. Now it's just spite.
>>
>>81307250

The thing I love about comics is how the goofy is serious, the serious is goofy. It's all so totally mixed together, you have to just go with it all.

No film has captured that yet. Ever.
>>
>>81314539
In the new 52 they killed each others dads by accident, so now they hate each other. The only reason Manta fights he CSA is because Ultraman fucking with the moon destroyed his dads grave.
>>
File: black-manta-3.jpg (434 KB, 1239x967) Image search: [Google]
black-manta-3.jpg
434 KB, 1239x967
>>81314539
Must have been pretty decent
>>
>>81319066
>Guy that is slightly more powerful than Superman really pisses you off
>Your superpower is that you own a boat

Sometimes life can be really shitty and unfair....
>>
File: 1409969507202.jpg (1 MB, 1916x2948) Image search: [Google]
1409969507202.jpg
1 MB, 1916x2948
>>81319066
>>
>>81319066
manta really loved his dad
>>
File: True spite.jpg (65 KB, 400x329) Image search: [Google]
True spite.jpg
65 KB, 400x329
>>81312737
Black Manta is just so happy to have a chance to hurt Aquaman. We should all be so fulfilled by our work.
>>
>>81318925
If he cared he could make that back by looting Atlantis.

That's probably how he gets henchmen to sail out and play modern day Moby Dick with him. The promise of pirate looting Atlantis.
>>
>>81319778
>Black Manta finally succeeds in his master plan
>Plan consists of dropping chemical whale pheremones into the sea and causing the whales to attack Atlantic
>When Aquaman tries to stop it Manta turns on his expensive telepathy jammer and drops his killer robot Doomfish to go fight a temporarily distracted Aquaman
>Then proceeds to rob the first bank of Poseidonis
>Swims away with thousands of Aquabucks in a dollar sign bag.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.