[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I think it's safe to say the new 52 was a bit of a flop then?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 786x393) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 786x393
So, I think it's safe to say the new 52 was a bit of a flop then?
>>
>>81296102
>relaunch = flop
>Marvel is always relaunching
Yes?
>>
>>81296102
It was a huge mistake: it alienated an older fanbase and lost a lot of world building and didnt gain new readers.

Almost every good new52 book could had been done in the all universe, and almost all shit was related to the reboot.
You don't destroy a castle to build little houe, sure the castle needed cleaning and wasnt being used, but is still better than the shitty house and had space for new characters.

DC biggest mistake was not create another earth and focus in that earth, that way the old chronology would be intact. Instead of that we have nigger wally, the batfamily destroyed, superman family destroyed, Johns destroyed the whole magic side of DC just for a short mini he never intended to continue, Lex luthor has being a leaguer for more issues than aquaman. Etc.
>>
>>81296102
The Rebirth books are very clearly indicative of the fact that DC thinks so.

They're playing it safe across the board. Multiple books for popular heroes, books with unpopular creative teams replaced with ones they know people like (for instance Meredith Finch being replaced with Rucka on WW), bringing several New 52 changes back to status quo, and having no variety and sticking exclusively to popular cape heroes.

Say what you will about the New 52, but it at least had some variety in their books. Westerns, fantasy, horror. Ain't none of that here!
>>
no they got the sales they wanted
>>
>>81296263
they got fuck loads of new readers.
Justice league origin was a bit hit.
Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Brian Azzarello, Jeff Lemire (miss him), Scott Snyder (yep), Francis Manapul and Greg Pak were great
>>
>>81296102
No, they made a lot of money from new 52 and gained more readers than they lost. Rebirth is their attempt at having their cake and eating it too- they get a new batch of readers from TWO relaunches (a bunch of casuals assume you have to start at #1) and they throw the old readers a bone to placate the anger from changes.
>>
>>81296300
Does anybody really want westerns and horror from DC though? When I wanna read something from another genre I look elsewhere. Most people only read DC and Marvel for their superheroes
>>
>>81296328
Pak came later and did nothing noteworthy.
>>
>>81296385
>Does anybody really want westerns and horror from DC though?
You're trying to trigger /co/, aren't you?
>>
>>81296397
How is that triggering? All I'm saying is that the only thing the big 2 do best is their capeshit. All their horror/western/sci fi stuff is surpassed by comics from other publishers
>>
>>81296300
I don't by blame DC for actually trying to turn a profit, they tried giving the people the variety and new stories that they apparently demanded in DCYou and some of the more out there books from the New52 like Dial H, and they all sold like shit.
>>
>>81296385
>Does anybody really want westerns and horror from DC though?

They were some of the best books in recent years, so yea.
>>
File: our lord and savior.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1663) Image search: [Google]
our lord and savior.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1663
>>81296503
you're a fucking heathen and you deserve to die.

Or at least go read some Hex.
>>
it did what it was supposed to do. it was a big boost in sales for a while, then it declined and DC decided to switch things up again hoping for another boost.

it's just how capes work anon. New 52 was never going to be permanent no matter how big of a hit it was. It did give us a few good comics tho
>>
>>81296102
New 52 was fantastic. I'm still catching up and it has some really enjoyable runs.

Rebirth is more of DC going "aight, we got this new blood from the #1's. Time to do it again."
>>
>>81296617
I'll stick to Blueberry
>>
File: mcfucking kill yourself.jpg (30 KB, 450x381) Image search: [Google]
mcfucking kill yourself.jpg
30 KB, 450x381
>>81296675
You're part of the fucking problem.
>>
Maybe I'm going crazy, but it feels like this is the first time DC has directly linked to Comixology and told people to pre-order.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/715528084083093504
(hell, I'm now searching through DC's past mentions of "pre-order" and "preorder", and besides Harley Quinn's Little Black Book, this is the first time they've mentioned it)

I imagined they'd always (subtly) imply that physical floppies are all that matter. Interesting to see a push for digital.
>>
>>81296706
>Preferring good comics over mediocre ones
>Part of the problem
>>
>>81296102
No, new 52 sales were great

Not even DCYou was a big enough flop to get their sales to before new 52 levels
>>
>>81296140

At the very least, making Post-Crisis Superman the main Superman again is basically a semi-reboot.
>>
>>81296300
I hope Rebirth fails. I'm a big fan of DCYou, I think most people here are and I could care less about mediocre capeshit starring A listers.
>>
>>81296102
There were both good things and bad things about it.
>>
>>81296852
DC and Marvel are popular because of their A-listers and part of the reason DCYOU flopped was because their A-lister books were mostly unappealing
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.