[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Judge Dredd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 4945498-5200837183-judge.jpg (173 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
4945498-5200837183-judge.jpg
173 KB, 774x1032
Made a thread a while back but got no responses. I've been wanting to get into Judge Dredd for a while but never knew where to start. Picked up a couple issues yesterday at a comic shop, they were vol. 1 no. 24, 25, 26, 27, & 28 since those were the only ones they had.
They also had 2000 A.D. comics but I was confused because there were different numbered issues, some saying "featuring judge dredd" and others that didn't.
Also looked into the Case files that were available on Amazon and wondering if I should pick those up.
>>
Just get all of the 2000 AD comics anyway cause they have a load of really good series' in anyway
>>
>>81292430
Noted
>>
http://dreddreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/where-to-start-reading-judge-dredd.html

Basically, Volume 5 of the case files is a solid starting point, and having read it myself, I can agree: the first half of the book is basically a series of episodes tales that focus on Dredd taking on random crimes in the city, ranging from people putting contracts on themselves to black market criminals harvesting alien creatures.

The second half is where things really pick up, as it has effectively one, long story arc that starts with random riots and ends with full blown war between two Mega Cities.

The blog above also recommends "America," which is actually in print in the US now.
>>
>>81292480
Thanks amigo
>>
>>81292231

You can start with the Complete case files but they are too much. And art is not very good by today's standarts

So I recommend you The Daily Dredds 1st of all. You'll get a good idea on JD and how the Law works

Then read Judge Death/The Dark Judges , then move to Apocalypse War and Chaos Day

All this d/l even here. Look for "Judge Anon"
>>
>>81292643
They don't seem to badly priced, I see them on Amazon for at least $15-$20, and those aren't even the used prices.
>>
>>81292643
and here's a gift for you: a more modern version of Judge Death story

http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/EC3KLV33/file.html

Also you can read "Origins" -->2000AD 1505 (13-09-06) (John Williams-DCP) till 1535

I think it was posted in a Win O around 1 month ago or something
>>
>>81292712
Then go for it.

The Dark Judges starts in V5 (after Judge Death).

And if you see Judge Anderson Complete case files (or whatever the title is) go for it.
>>
>>81292829
Will do, it seems to get to Judge Death I should pick up Files 3 and for the Dark Judges I go for Files 5.
>>
>>81292854

JDeath you have the Zippy link I have posted

The Daily Dredds: you have a good look at MegaCity 1 and the law in a series of 2 pages stories

Since the CCFiles are cheap go for them all, but some early stories drag a bit and are corny (Walter the Robot...) , even if you have some classic ones like Judge Child and Judge Cal

Start with Origins to understand how we got to JD society.
>>
File: dredd rec.jpg (1 MB, 3004x1882) Image search: [Google]
dredd rec.jpg
1 MB, 3004x1882
>>
>>81293059
Cool thanks for this
>>
File: 2000ad 0404 14-15.jpg (1 MB, 2700x1600) Image search: [Google]
2000ad 0404 14-15.jpg
1 MB, 2700x1600
>>81293059
I'd also add City of the Damned to that list - IIRC from the last thread some anon said it was in Case Files 8?

The first two Dredd-movie spinoffs are good too: Underbelly and Uprise.
>>
OP here, thanks for the help fellas. Means a lot.
>>
File: inbred hillibillies from space.jpg (241 KB, 1200x575) Image search: [Google]
inbred hillibillies from space.jpg
241 KB, 1200x575
>>
File: Judge Dredd - Judge Pal 01.jpg (170 KB, 1280x1939) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd - Judge Pal 01.jpg
170 KB, 1280x1939
Bump for recs.
>>
>>81292854
>Will do, it seems to get to Judge Death I should pick up Files 3 and for the Dark Judges I go for Files 5.

The latter also has the Apocalypse War as well.

The Cursed Earth in Case Files 2 is the first major extended story and well worth checking out. You might want to wait on it a bit though since that story was censored after its initial run and, due to changes in copyright law, a complete version will be coming out this July.
>>
>>81300739
I'll keep that in mind, thanks amigo.
>>
Okay so I sense confusion as to what is and isn't a judge Dredd comic so...

2000ad is a weekly anthology comic first published in 1977 and has featured the adventures of Dredd and a host of other characters ever since.

Judge Dredd the Megazine. Is a companion comic to 2000ad featuring more mature storylines and adventures from beyond the walls of Megacity 1.

DC Judge Dredd/Legends of the Law. A short lived series by DC to cash in on the '96 film

IDW Judge Dredd. A newish ongoing from IDW set I'm its own continuity, most likely what OP was looking at.

Only Dredd stories from 2000ad and the Megazine are considered cannon and are reprinted in the case files

I hope that clears things up
>>
>>81292643
> And art is not very good by today's standards
Horseshit
>>
>>81302846
I gathered that, but I appreciate you clearing it up for anyone else who comes into the thread.
Thanks.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.