[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In DC it makes sense that heroes generally only ever fight their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
File: sandman.jpg (30 KB, 250x294) Image search: [Google]
sandman.jpg
30 KB, 250x294
In DC it makes sense that heroes generally only ever fight their own villains, because they are spread out all over the world

But why is it such a rare thing in Marvel for characters to fight foes who didn't originate in their comics? Sure it happens SOMETIMES and I understand the reason/excuse of why all of Marvel is in NYC, but it's usually a crossover thing, when it should really be a regular occurance since they are all in NYC.
>>
I think it's a revenge thing, and big bads hiring little fish to take out their rivals.
>>
File: 1455251292328halved.jpg (294 KB, 877x687) Image search: [Google]
1455251292328halved.jpg
294 KB, 877x687
>>81291109
Thaty only happens with select villians.
Granted, Spiderfoes like Kraven or Electro usually only fight Spidey, but one of Spiderman's most iconic fights was against the unstoppable X-Men villian Juggernaut.
Just think about Doctor DOOM, he has been a villian in almost every major character's books. It's not that MoleMan or The Wizard is any less a Fantastic Four villian (even though they are), it's just that Dr.DOOM is more useful to writers.
The Avengers have battled Magneto, the X-Men have fought Dracula, The Punisher has punished Stilt-man ... permanently.
Then there's crossovers.
Heros team up and kick that one villian's butt, you know the one badguy who usually gives the one hero a lot of trouble. Not when there's two heros. That makes for shorter stories.
And some bad guys are personal vendettas that other heros don't understand. Others aren't.
Nobody says; "Carnage isn't MY archenemy. Why bother stopping his killing spree?"
But when the Kingpin is suspiciously buying up housing in Hell's Kitchen it's not like Doc Strange would bother to investigate, that's DareDevil work.
So it all kinda makes sense.
>>
wasn't sandman one of the frightful four or am i misremembering?

either way, theres really no in-universe reason.

heroes usually fight their rogues because they are their rogues. its not like they and the rogues have a city to themselves like gotham, or central city or metropolis. Its all NYC.
>>
>>81291109
The answer is "read comics from before the 00's".
Because Marvel villains used to fight characters outside of the comics they originated in all the freaking time. Spider-Man's rogues less so then others, but even then they still got out to fight other people a lot.
Even the fucking X-Men were all over the place in what and who they fought before Jim Lee and the 90's Bridage started shitting things up and making them their own little microcosm.
>>
>>81291591
>Just think about Doctor DOOM, he has been a villian in almost every major character's books.

It was like a rite of passage for Marvel characters for decades.
When your book hit the big time and you became big name heroes and not a one-off fad, Doom showed up at some point in your book to cause you problems.
>>
>>81291591
Having Dr. Doom job to you is basically an initiation rite for Marvel heroes and teams.

But really Spider-man is the only hero that has sort of an exclusive rogues gallery. Other rogues either pretty spread out in their appearances or hardly used.
>>
>>81291591
>But when the Kingpin is suspiciously buying up housing in Hell's Kitchen it's not like Doc Strange would bother to investigate, that's DareDevil work.
>So it all kinda makes sense.

Sometimes it makes sense, that's an example of where it would. But let's say Sandman, The Lizard, Electro, or some other high powered threat easily capable of killing LOTS of people are terrorizing NYC, you'd think more people than just Spider-Man would show up to the scene to help immediately squash the issue , rather than just sitting back and let a single guy handle it
>>
>>81291634
>But let's say Sandman, The Lizard, Electro, or some other high powered threat easily capable of killing LOTS of people are terrorizing NYC, you'd think more people than just Spider-Man would show up to the scene to help immediately squash the issue , rather than just sitting back and let a single guy handle it.

It's funny you say that because all four have done that before. Even The Lizard.
>>
File: 4099375-5293155859-frigh.gif (152 KB, 650x734) Image search: [Google]
4099375-5293155859-frigh.gif
152 KB, 650x734
>>81291595
>wasn't sandman one of the frightful four or am i misremembering?
You're not.
>>
>>81291634
In the olden comics they would often have some sort of an excuse in a panel that was actually an ad. Something like
>the Fantastic Four cant help Spider-man because they are in SPACE! Read FF#60 to find out why true believers.

But yeah its pretty weak. Spider-man and the X-men suffer from this more disproportionately then the others though, almost existing in their own universe at times. The Avengers and other street levers share a lot of rogues.
>>
File: 1458805741448.jpg (62 KB, 393x281) Image search: [Google]
1458805741448.jpg
62 KB, 393x281
>>81291595
Multiple villians DO have their own cities.
DOOM has his own country. Technically so do Baron Zemo, Mystique, MoleMan(sorta), hmm... Hydra(?), A.I.M. used to, etc etc

And the only tems I remember Sandman belonging to were The Sinister Six (and the Sinister Sixteen) and The Avengers.
>>
>>81291703
>>the Fantastic Four cant help Spider-man because they are in SPACE! Read FF#60 to find out why true believers.

Back when editors did their fucking jobs and kept continuity straight instead of pretending like they're writers and forcing shitty crossovers on us.
>>
This thread makes me want to re-read Acts of Vengeance. Which was an actually good crossover where the villains fought heroes that they didn't usually fight.
>>
>>81291672
WTF Medusa?
>>
>>81291732
Amnesia.
>>
>>81291109
well in terms of NYC its because most of Spidey's foes are high profile and he has the best response time in the city thanks to Spidey sense and Parker Luck
>>
>>81291753
Plus, it's rarely mentioned or depicted but Spiderman is crazy fast both when jumping around and web-swinging.
>>
They explained it in the Spider-Man story where they first introduced the totem stuff. There's magic that makes sure the heroes attract villains that are the same as them. That's why the X-Men fight mutants and Spider-Man fights animal themes villains. Basically, a wizard did it.
>>
>>81291806
even if its true, thats fucking stupid.
>>
File: 90s.jpg (147 KB, 687x531) Image search: [Google]
90s.jpg
147 KB, 687x531
>>81291634
Spidey gets help regularly, sometimes disproportionately.
>>
>>81291806
>There's magic that makes sure the heroes attract villains that are the same as them.
lol who the fuck wrote that shit?
>>
>>81291825
Yep. Probably why the totem stuff has pretty much never been mentioned since.
>>
>>81291887
Another very 90s example.
iirc the absence of more heroes was explained away by Cap in story. Basically they're off doing some other shit.
>>
>>81291903
>Arana
>Gauntlet
>Grim Hunt
>Spider-Verse
>Web Warriors
>>
File: MAY140797.jpg (4 KB, 144x220) Image search: [Google]
MAY140797.jpg
4 KB, 144x220
>>81291825
And the Avengers have had multiple animal themed hero members like Ant-Man or Black Panther and not that many animal themed villains.
Then there's the X-men like Wolverine or Beast who don't just have an animal theme but also animal traits. I don't think it's totem magic that makes Toad and Sabretooth want revenge on their longtime personal and political enemies.
IronMan isn't animal themed, how do you explain his enemy, The Unicorn?
>>
>>81291924
Ahh....back when my main man Edwardo was a psychotic anti-hero, not a constantly sulking "i used to be super evil (even tho i wasnt rly) and now i just kinda exist once in a while" guy

>>81291753
>>81291787
>>81291887
It just seems to me, that if some person with lethal powers was terrorizing the city something might flash across some computer moniters at Avengers Tower and SOMEBODY would immediately react

But all I can imagine most times they're absent is them watching with a thing of popcorn while Spidey fights somebody
>>
File: JUL140746.jpg (20 KB, 392x600) Image search: [Google]
JUL140746.jpg
20 KB, 392x600
>>81291924
Ah yes, the old "off-planet" excuse.
But now that Spidey's had his own Avengers I.D. card for a while, wouldn't he have been along for that "off-planet" ride when The Green Goblin attacked?
>>
>>81292033
>all I can imagine most times they're absent is them watching with a thing of popcorn while Spidey fights somebody
Or they're off fighting some other fag like Kang or trying to stop T'Challa and Namor's latest dick-measuring contest from destroying another country. The Avengers just don't lounge around in their mansion/tower waiting for shit to happen in New York specifically.

Fuck in a ton of cases the protagonists try to call for help but the other people are off doing some other specific shit in the meantime*, it just changes every time.

*Read Avengers #76 to find out 'nuff said,
>>
>>81292067
Isn't Spidey himself off in Beijing or some shit?
I don't really read a lot of current stuff.

The old off-planet excuse is fine, not everything has to be a universe-wide event because it "makes sense" to some fag on /co/.
>>
>>81291109
>Posting a villain who has dukes it out with Fantastic Four, Luke Cage, Avengers, and Hulk, and was a part of the Frightful Four

The answer is "read comics before Civil War," you fucking normie.
>>
>>81292109
he just left beijing. I can't remember where was next on his world tour.
>>
>>81291806
Yet people still defend Spider Totem. That comic was fucking garbage. Hell, the JMS run sucked. He was good at writing Peter, but the stories were awful.
>>
>>81292127
He got his shit pushed in pretty hard once by Hulk. Got turned into glass.
>>
>>81292173
opinion disregarded
>>
>>81292182
Yeah, Sandman's effectiveness is almost writer specific. Sometimes he's giving the Hulk a real fight, other times Hulk takes him down easy.
>>
>>81292192
Yes, please disregard the negative opinion about the retcon that Peter was chosen by magical spider gods to be bitten by a radioactive spider, and has to team up with someone else who happens to be a special Spider-Man like him to fight a vampire that also happens to be Hulk level strong and eats totem energy. Also, please defend the part where the totems cause Spider-Man to fight animal themed villains, except when his greatest enemies are a Goblin, a Hobgoblin, a fat gangster, a sand person, an electric person, and Mysterio.
>>
File: APR150879.jpg (80 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
APR150879.jpg
80 KB, 659x1000
>>81292033
There's also the information factor.
And that accounts for some of this repeating conflicts too.
With Superman there's superhearing and superspeed to let him react "immediately" to any threat to the goodcitizens of Metropolis, but only he has those abilities.
IronMan has the internet and Stark satelites, it's no wonder the Tech villains are the first to trigger his J.A.R.V.I.S. web-bots, or whatever he's invented now.
The X-Men have always had that Cerebro mutant tracking telepathic computer setup to see the mutant problems. So they know where all the mutant problems are in real time, exclusively.
Most of the Avengers are kinda slow, there's very few preemptive abilities among them, even Quicksilver needs to know where to run to. So most of their stories areabout being a response team ... "AVENGING".
With street-level heros like Spidey, who go on patrol and are in the streets specifically to quickly be a first responder when his spider-sense goes off, that's how you see the most action with psychos on the streets.
>>
>>81292247
Don't forget that the spider itself was magic and it was just looking to pass on its magic powers before the radiation killed it.
>>
>>81292247
>>81292309
I'm glad I stopped reading Spider-Man before all that shit.
>>
>>81292127
Pretty sure I mentioned that it does happen sometimes.
>>81292253

>With street-level heros like Spidey, who go on patrol and are in the streets specifically to quickly be a first responder when his spider-sense goes off, that's how you see the most action with psychos on the streets.

Right, but I was mainly talking about giant powered villains who are obviously going to be on every news station across the country the moment they show up smashing through buildings or hurling lightning bolts at cars
>>
>>81292247
just digging yourself deeper
>>
>>81292387
Go ahead champ, explain to me how it's not a shit story without spouting "muh JMS." Explain to me how the shit stain that is Spider Totem is anything beyond overstuffed dreck that pisses on the very foundation of its own story with unnecessary alterations and a villain with zero personality or flaire beyond "I'm a vampire and I eat you."

The floor is yours.
>>
>>81292332
Sins Past was when I stopped reading Spider-Man. I gave One More Day and the beginning of Brand New Day a read, which solidified my choice forever. That was the last time I ever picked up a current Spider-Man comic.
>>
>>81292492
Is there any book thats been as shitty as ASM and still sold for as long? I swear there hasn't been a good Spider-man story in that book in 25 years
>>
>>81292468
keep going
>>
Out of all of the A-list heroes for Marvel why is Spider-Man one of the few to not have that definitive, amazing run?
>>
>>81291109
Read comics you fucking scrub.
>>
>>81292533
>This bait
>>
>>81292492
I stopped a bit after the Clone Saga. I'll give Superior a read one of these days.
>>
>>81292530
Nope.
>>
>>81292533
he does, it's Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
>>
>>81292561
It's probably not bait, just the fact that /co/ says it constantly leads to other people repeating it

This board has many memes that are not really true, say something long enough, people will repeat it, soon enough it's accepted as "fact"
>>
Because Marvel are hacks who cant into shared universe
>>
>>81292533
Marvel Adventures Spider-Man is fantastic.
>>
>>81291645
Electro has faced the Avengers before, Sandman has taken on Hulk and the Fantastic Four and I think Lizard has taken on Iron Man at some point (or maybe I'm thinking of Spiderman TAS)
>>
>>81294583
But why is it a Rarity, not a regular happening...why is it 9 out of 10 times he appears Spider-Man is the only one who tries to stop them?
>>
>>81294620
Take your pick
>Spider-man is constantly patrolling the city, one of the fastest heroes in it so he is usually the first to respond.
>Other heroes are pretty busy themselves, they know Super-powered street criminals are Spider-mans Modus Operandi so they just leave it to him and deal with their own stuff unless it starts to get out of hand.

Its not perfect, but there are enough crossovers to allow for suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>81291887
Why are all the villians fucking dual wielding assault rifles?
>>
>>81296899
It's EXTREEEEEME!
>>
>>81296899
See the filename.
>>
>>81292203
Maybe that's why he had develop all those personalities in the gautlet
>>
>>81296899
>Octopus
>dual
Nigga pls
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.