[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: The End of the Disney Renaissance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: tarzan.jpg (388 KB, 1000x1314) Image search: [Google]
tarzan.jpg
388 KB, 1000x1314
The Disney Renaissance is generally thought to have ended after 1998's Mulan and 1999's Tarzan. Do you agree with this? Why do you think the end of the 90's brought with it the end of the era and the change to different films? Was the Renaissance formula wearing thin by the Late 90's? Are Mulan and Tarzan as good as the other films in the Renaissance?
>>
Both Mulan and Tarzan were solid movies, and I wouldn't have midned the Renaissance lasting a bit more. I did like that they tried to change it up, but it clearly didn't work well for them.
>>
Disney died with Walt.

He never got to finish the monolith task of Disney city.
>>
The only good Disney movies
>BH6
>Zootopia
>Lion King
>Everything From Hunchback to Tarzan
>>
>>81277322
>BH6
>Not WiR
>>
Why DID they stop with Tarzan? Were they just sick of it, were they tryign to compete with Dreamworks, or what?
>>
Stream is on as part of an ongoing M W F streamathon through Disney/Pixar. Tonight is A Bug's Life, Mulan, and Tarzan.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>81276808

>Do you agree with this?

I think Fantasia 2000 should be included in the renaissance. It was their last ambitious project before turning to outright shit with Dinosaur. Then came The Emperor's New Groove, which, while good, wasn't nearly as ambitious animation-wise as renaissance films.

>Are Mulan and Tarzan as good as the other films in the Renaissance?

As a musicalfag, I don't like Tarzan as much as the movies that were more Broadway style. It's probably my least favorite of the renaissance movies (yes that includes Rescuers Down Under).

Mulan is actually my favorite movie of the renaissance.

>Why do you think the end of the 90s brought with it the end of the era?

Mainly underwhelming movies getting released alongside some of the best movies Pixar ever made plus the first two Shrek movies.

>and the change to different films?

As much as I like the Renaissance movies, they were getting less and less successful financially and critically. Pocahontas famously underperformed compared to The Lion King, and IIRC Hercules got panned for being "too silly" or something. So I think that's why they moved away from Broadway musical style movies. Atlantis was actually a pretty interesting movie, and probably the most ambitious of the post-Renaissance, pre-Lasseter movies, but it happened to be the wrong experiment at the wrong time commercially.
>>
>>81277916
I think Emperor's New Groove was before Dinosaur. Shouldn't it be part of the Renaissnace then? Though I guess it was planned to be as Kingdom of the Sun, before it ended up more Looney Tunes-ish.
>>
>>81278207

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Walt_Disney_Animation_Studios_films#ep38
>>
>>81278207
>>81278700
Well, New Groove started production in '94, but seeing as it was Kingdom of the Sun for most of its production and didn't really get started until very late in said production timeline (likely after Dinosaur started production), it seems like we'll unfortunately have to classify it as post-Renaissance.
>>
I think Tarzan probably is the cut-off point for the Disney Renaissance, but I don't consider the Disney Aughts Dark Age to start until Brother Bear. Fantasia 2000 to Treasure Planet feels like an era in itself, one I don't have a name for.
>>
>>81278927
The "Ambitious But Didn't Quite Hit Its Mark" Era.
>>
File: Kida1.webm (1 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Kida1.webm
1 MB, 1920x816
>>81278990
Let's call it the Ambition Era, it's catchier.
>>
>>81279089
what would you say the modern era is? Pixar is more or less on a downturn since they've lost nearly everything on the napkin.
>>
>Are Mulan and Tarzan as good as the other films in the Renaissance?

sure.

the Renaissance as a few fucking masterpieces (Beauty and the Beast, Alladin and The Lion King) but it also has Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and fucking Rescuers Down Under. Mulan is not quite masterpiece tier but I would rank it as the 4th best. Tarzan is also pretty good, not as great as the very best but definitely not so much worse that it marks the beginning of the dark ages or whatnot.
>>
>>81279166
Most people are referring it as "The New Renaissance" or "The CGI Renaissance"

Pixar isn't usually counted when referring to Disney era's though they are going down a slope.
>>
>>81279166
Starting with Tangled (and Princess and the Frog to a slightly lesser extent) I consider Disney to be in a Reinvigoration era.
>>
It's called the Revival Era beginning with Princess and the Frog
>>
>>81278927
I end the renaissance at Fantasia 2000 as it was being produced entirely through the 90s with segments being done in-between their main movies.
>>
>>81277916
>Rescuers Down Under

God that movie sucked. It was just an abomination.
>>
File: come on.png (251 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
come on.png
251 KB, 500x375
>>81279515
>Rescuers Down Under
That movie was amazing and 100 times better then the original.
>>
All this talk of the Renaissance era got me looking at the films that came out at that time again. And I realized something. The Hunchback of Notre Dame got a G rating. How the hell(fire) did that happen?
>>
>>81279560
/co/, once you grow up the story for Rescuers Down Under becomes cringe inducing. Think about it.

The story is about how a guy is only thinking of one thing......proposing marriage to a woman. Marriage is a death trap for men so the story to me looks like the story of a slave LOOKING for a slave master to whip him and then divorce rape him.

It's really all sorts of unpleasant. That and let's be realistic a rich woman would never go with a lower class guy like Bernard.
>>
>>81279560
>It was better than a complete piece of shit
>"I may not be the best at sports but at least I'm better than that guy who literally has no legs"
>>
>>81279648
Hell isn't that bad of a word and as long as the characters don't directly say sex, you can have all the implied sex you want.

Also Gargoyles.
Fuck the Gargoyles.
>>
Phil Collins was the only reason Tarzan was good. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>8127908990
The popular term nowadays is the "Experimental Era" for everything in between the Renaissance and the Revival. I'd say Experimental fits that Ambition era you're talking about, with Brother Bear to Chicken Little or so being the 2nd Dark Age.
>>
I fucking love Tarzan and I cry whenever I watch it or listen to the music.

Because I don't have that great of a relationship with my mother.
>>
>>81279672
>Marriage is a death trap for men so the story to me looks like the story of a slave LOOKING for a slave master to whip him and then divorce rape him.
>It's really all sorts of unpleasant. That and let's be realistic a rich woman would never go with a lower class guy like Bernard.
I feel like you might be projecting here a bit.
>>
>>81279725
It's funny that Phil Collins does so well for Tarzan, where every use of him amplifies and helps the movie. But then in the other Disney movie that uses Collins, Brother Bear, it's the complete opposite. Most of the scenes that have a Collins song in that movie would hvae been much better off without it, and Collins' songs just ruin the mood.
>>
>>81276808
It died with Lion King. Pocahontas was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>81279232
Hunchback had a great villian song though. Hey whatever happened to Bluth by the way? Wasn't he a big part of the Ren?
>>
>>81279798
He's not wrong though. Life's not a fairy tale.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (832 KB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
832 KB, 1400x2100
I LOVE THIS MASTERPIECE.

FUCK YOU 4CHAN !!!
>>
>>81279648
This was before the stigma against the G rating. Hunchback should be rated PG while Frozen should be rated G.
>>
>>81279967
Not only that but in the actual original Rescuer books, Miss Bianca rejects Bernard because he was lower class. So Disney was sending a false message in their films.

PS - Is it true that the author of the Rescuers' book series died leaving the series on a cliffhanger?
>>
>>81280062
It's not bad but it's not great. I think people should be shitting themselves over something a bit more complex.
>>
>>81280081
To be fair, there was probably a stigma at Disney for a long while about letting a Disney movie be rated PG, since the first (and only for years) Disney animated film to be rated PG was The Black Cauldron, which was the huge flop that almost killed Disney animation entirely.
>>
>>81279967
marriage worked out pretty damn well for my mum and my extended family. My friends are the ones with broken marriages. It just goes to show that marriage is hard work.
>>
>>81276808
not that there weren't watchable movies afterward, but lion king was the last disney masterpiece. everything after that is just a cartoon
>>
>>81279672
someone's got some fucking issues.
>>
>>81280086
why the fuck would you write that into a book
>>
>>81277761
Bug's Life's credits are rolling now. Mulan starts in a few minutes.
>>
>>81280946
Who knows, but the author of Rescuers was a woman. And as far as female written media goes, the "beta male" is never a consideration for a love interest. At least as far as the two books that Disney adapted in the films themselves. Rescuers has many more books than that (like 9 overall).
>>
Mulan is one of my favorites of the Renaissance, but I think it was the true end just because it was the last Musical until the Revival. Tarzan was the start of moving away from the Broadway-style Disney movies.
>>
>>81281206
Tarzan starting soon.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.