[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open Toonz Thread So last week the animation software used in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: function_img02.png (25 KB, 428x279) Image search: [Google]
function_img02.png
25 KB, 428x279
Open Toonz Thread
So last week the animation software used in several studio Ghibli films as well as cartoons like Futurama has become open sourced and is available for free.
Are there any animators on /co/ trying this program out? If so how do you think it compares to Toon Boom or Flash? Will this help inspire/improve independent animators?
>>
Saw some stuff on tumblr about it but seems still pretty early. I'm waiting for an in depth comparison to ToonBoom.

You should look in /ic/ though, I think someone might be talking about it by now.
>>
File: 1451801548253.png (235 KB, 462x464) Image search: [Google]
1451801548253.png
235 KB, 462x464
>>>/ic/2449754
>>
>>81271522
thanks doc
>>
how does it work
>>
https://wannabeanimator.tumblr.com/post/141756217410/last-updated-march-29-2016-quick-links-download
>>
>>81271522

just downloaded it, where can I find some good tutorials?
>>
Just downloaded, don't know what the fuck im doing.
>>
File: 1454257400412.jpg (50 KB, 500x752) Image search: [Google]
1454257400412.jpg
50 KB, 500x752
>>81271522
>use flash for years
>pretty competent with flash
>open up Open Toonz
>mfw

I fucking hope that there are tutorials coming soon, because I can't tell where the fuck anything is. I'm fucking lost.
>>
>>81280012
There are some scattered across YouTube, Vimeo, and Tumblr.
>>
>>81280972

guess I'll look for those then.
>>
It was 3 in the morning when I decided to open this program

Couldn't get anything going

I think I'll wait like another week or 2 to see if we get more tutorials
>>
https://wannabeanimator.tumblr.com/post/141756217410/last-updated-march-29-2016-quick-links-download

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMskd30Y9Js

These are the best tutorials I've found so far
>>
>>81281457

thank you
>>
>>81271522
Absolutely Op. As a matter of fact for some time now myself and a group of other /co/bastards were working together to make our own studio/animation group, and post our group animations on our own website.

Deciding which program to use was always a problem since people don't wanna spend money on a program that they're not familiar with. To the point where we were looking into moving in together.

Before, another option was waiting for Krita to fix it's animation bugs, but with this one coming out so suddenly, pretty much every one of us is learning how to use it, so we could finally start working on actual animation.

Speaking of which, we were very reserved about inviting new people to join us, because as mentioned earlier, we wanted have a standard program for us to use. Now that this is the new standard, anyone can join if they want.

This was kind of an impromptu post, and there is a lot of information I would need to go over, but for now, if you're interested in talking about animation with other animators, sign-up, and I'll link you to our skype chat.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GnLGnTtiAEVqTtULrTgVbzJ6WvJEvysPrIEXj9Y7EeM/edit#gid=0
>>
I might try it at some point, but I've always been pretty terrible at more complex programs in terms of animating. I get too easily overwhelmed by a lot of options.
>>
While we wait for you nerds to learn this new thing, some of you guys should post your old animations.
>>
>>81271522

Is it free free or free+subscription?
>>
>>81280511

If you tolerated flash you can survive anything.
>>
>>81283485
it's free, but it's in japanese
>>
Adobe Animate CC looks pretty sweet and was already free through the pirate bay.
>>
bump
>>
Isn't this program in Japanese?
>>
>>81284825

engrish
>>
>>81285352
>>81284825
yeah, it's a mix of the two languages
>>
>>81283539
What the fuck? Seriously?
>>
Put simply, it's a lot more convoluted than Flash or TBS, mostly because a) it's designed for use between a bunch of different people working on the same project, and b) no one else but them has used it, so some things are kind of antiquated or confusing compared to what we're used to.

That being said, I honestly really like it. Once you figure things out, it gives Flash and Toon Boom a run for their money. No harm in looking up a few tutorials and checking it out, I say. There's also a thread on Newgrounds where people are slowly learning the ropes.
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1406896/1
>>
>>81271522
Too many reports of crashing and errors. I'll wait until they release a more stable revision. Also, my comp needs a little upgrading to handle it.
>>
>>81287884
Saving's a real hassle. You've got to save everything individually as well as the project as a whole
>>
I downloaded it but I have no idea how to open the software because there was no executable file, just resources
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.