[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /co/ this seems like a topic that will go off without a hitch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: everyone-ruvs-chin-kee.jpg (115 KB, 800x797) Image search: [Google]
everyone-ruvs-chin-kee.jpg
115 KB, 800x797
Hey /co/ this seems like a topic that will go off without a hitch and be discussed civilly.
At what point does a caricature of a nonwhite become racist? Is it in physical depiction or is personality an important factor? Should one always bring in historical/cultural context? Should different cultures be given different allowances? Should it even be a concern?
>>
>nonwhite
>>
File: douglas20.gif (139 KB, 417x326) Image search: [Google]
douglas20.gif
139 KB, 417x326
>>81270511
Yeah, not a lot of people consider caricatures of whites racist, I mean you've gotta try pretty hard and even then it's typically a tiny minority that are any kind of offended.
>>
>>81270474
I think for any race, the depiction becomes racist when it's created with the intention to claim that a race is inferior. I would say most racist jokes are not racist but are rather poking fun at the differences we perceive between races of people. If anything, I'd say a lot of the humor from racist jokes comes from how 'offensive' they are.
>>
I don't know man, Is this caricature here racist?
>>
>>81271393
Weren't there African tribesmen that looked like that though?

I can see paper-skinned Americans getting offended by it but it seems fine to me.
>>
>>81271393
which caricature?
>>
>>81270474
You can do pretty much anything as long as you feature other characters of the same race that differ in personality and appearance
>>81271534
I haven't watched what that's from so I can't say, but I think it'd be racist if they portrayed every tribesman in the film as looking like that.
>>
>>81271583
all of them
>>
>>81271658
>I haven't watched what that's from so I can't say, but I think it'd be racist if they portrayed every tribesman in the film as looking like that.

>"one racist caricature per movie is totally okay"

what the fuck am I reading? Also this is all about the red lips, which is a huge no go in the United States
>>
>>81271724
I think his point is it's not racist if it's clearly not actually a generalization of a race.
>>
>>81270474
Interesting you brought this up, since I was just reading Dial H last night, specifically the issue with Chief Mighty Arrow. Roxie makes a point of describing it as a racist caricature, though considering the nature of the series, it's fairly mundane compared to most of the heroes dialed. Plus, for all she knows, the hero in question could be a celebrated hero in his home dimension. Thirdly, wouldn't performing positive acts as this hero help to lessen negative stereotypes associated with this sort of imagery?

Similarly >>81270657 along with this, there's another issue with a caricature of an English dandy, but seemingly there's no problem with that.
>>
File: mike_tyson[1].jpg (58 KB, 470x656) Image search: [Google]
mike_tyson[1].jpg
58 KB, 470x656
>>81271658
>I think it'd be racist if they portrayed every tribesman in the film as looking like that.

That is quite literally an effectively caricatured tubby african tribesman for a cartoony looking movie set in "ancient times". Chances are there are a lot of adult male tribesmen of his physical stature in his village and there should be nothing offensive about it unless you're out looking for a fight.

Are you telling me that black people can't be caricatured, or else it's racist? Do you have to throw in a boring "normal" uncaricatured looking black man so it won't be racist?
>>
>>81270474
Im sorry OP but Asians fall under white privledge category and can not be misrepresented in media. Unless they are from some south asian shithole like Vietnam or the Philippines.
>>
>>81272034
People from the same race look similar and have traits that set them apart from other races.
>>
It depends if the artist is clearly going out of their way to insult an entire race, instead of trying to be funny.
>>
>>81271393
The thing that made it offensive was red lips and they removed that.
>>
>>81270474
Why are buck teeth on asians a thing?
I've never seen an asian with teeth like that
>>
>>81270474
the problem is people cant separate race from culture
race is inherent. culture is learned. it's okay to be against a culture. and anyone of any race CAN be in a culture if they're raised in it, or choose to be.
>>
>>81275406
I think it just goes back to bad teeth in general, like with British steteotypes.
>>
>>81275537
>it's okay to be against a culture
I was gonna say that that isn't ok, and then I remembered Gypsies are a thing.
>>
>>81274911
>they removed that.
they didn't? who are you even talking about
>>
>>81274059
Yes, but sometimes fat people are depicted as over-exaggerated in features to make them look comically ugly.

You have to ask, is this person a fat joke, or a black joke? If none of the other Africans are depicted that way, it's a fat joke.
>>
>>81272821
>Are you telling me that black people can't be caricatured, or else it's racist? Do you have to throw in a boring "normal" uncaricatured looking black man so it won't be racist?

That's what a lot of artist do to avoid being "racist" but the bland, boring, same-face, white person-with-brown-skin is its own racism. They deny characteristics of ethnical background to avoid controversy.
>>
>>81275751
His lips are just a lighter brown now.
>>
>>81275751
His lips were a bright red color before, but then they changed it to light brown. See an optometrist...
>>
>>81272821
>Are you telling me that black people can't be caricatured, or else it's racist? Do you have to throw in a boring "normal" uncaricatured looking black man so it won't be racist?
It happened with Princess Frog
>>
>>81275537
Hey, good on you anon. This is a pretty hard argument to get people on either the left or right to listen to.
>>
>>81272034
whats with ghetto black people sometimes having blue skin in cartoons
like theres black people with black skin in the same cartoon
but theres also the ones with blue skin
>>
>>81276654
I guess it's supposed to separate the crime-commiting criminals from the do-gooders?
>>
>>81276654
>>81276804
They are supposed to be "ashy"
its ebonics for dry skin
>>
>>81276654
Are there multiple examples of this? Or just the Proud family?
>>
>>81276881
skeeter
>>
>>81270474
your example is kind of flawed because Chin-Kee is Danny's warped view of how different Chin-Kee is from him. it plays off racial stereotypes in order to elucidate that difference and show that Danny is influenced by the pervasive stereotypes in modern and past culture.
>>
>>81277442
Hold on, I thought Chin-Kee was the Monkey King in disguise trying to get Danny to accept his asian heritage by showing him what he really thinks Chinese people are like
>>
>>81270474
When a Jewish person doesn't like it.
>>
>>81270657
>JAK

Was that the sound of a frightened-by-Micks fart?
>>
>>81270474
Ironic flamebait is still flamebait anon.
>>
File: 1456179599404.png (51 KB, 324x246) Image search: [Google]
1456179599404.png
51 KB, 324x246
>>81277442
>>81279690
>people on this board actually read American Born Chinese
I'm pleasantly surprised.
Did any of you read Boxers and Saints?
>>
>>81281641
ABC was storytimed a while ago and stayed up a good amount of time.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.