[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard for writers to come up with villains for Flash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: godspeed.jpg (78 KB, 640x540) Image search: [Google]
godspeed.jpg
78 KB, 640x540
Why is it so hard for writers to come up with villains for Flash that aren't speedsters or speedforce-draining/cancelling? Are speedsters really so powerful that there are no real threats to them besides losing their speed or facing other speedsters?

Seems like every recommended Flash story I've read is him facing speedsters, losing his powers, or being his own worst enemy. And now we're going to be doing it again in Rebirth.

Also is Godspeed Wally?
>>
>>81264036
>Are speedsters really so powerful that there are no real threats to them besides losing their speed or facing other speedsters?
Yes
>>
>>81264036
>Are speedsters really so powerful that there are no real threats to them besides losing their speed or facing other speedsters?
Yes. Despite fans liking to believe otherwise, the Rogues are jokes and could never be believable threats to the Flash.
>>
>>81264329

The rogues were a valid threat against the Flash for a while, but the Flash got some serious power creep over time. When he was just a guy who could run really fast on a city-level, it was fine. but once he started being able to zip around the globe and use speedforce for even greater abilities, he sort of leveled up beyond the ability of most villains to deal with simply because they can't operate on his level.
>>
question.

Who is writing the flash after "rebirth"? every time I try to google this shit, it takes me to the old Johns stuff
>>
>>81264603
Joshua Williamson, a Flashfag
>>
>>81264621
So it's going to be good then? I stopped reading after Manapul, because I just kind of lost interest in comic books.

As average as writers they were, god damn was the art fantastic.
>>
>>81264657
He's writing Birthright which is pretty good. Who knows how much of that will translate.
>>
>>81264036
>Why is it so hard for writers to come up with villains for Flash that aren't speedsters or speedforce-draining/cancelling? Are speedsters really so powerful that there are no real threats to them besides losing their speed or facing other speedsters?

Pretty much, yeah. Superluminal superspeed is one of those powers that renders 99% of other conceivable powers irrelevant. You could come up with some combination of traits that counters it (intangibility + global range mind control for example), but those are actually really rare since being able to finish complex actions before your opponent can even think a single thought is pretty fucking broken.
>>
>>81264329
The Rogues are a valid threat when they're written right. Sadly, like the Flash they job alot.
>>
>>81264329
>>81264553

I liked the update to the Rogues where they actually became metas. Captain Cold literally slowing down Flash's kinetic energy when he got near him was a nice touch. But it does take away their street level "dudes with guns" charm.

I also thought Grodd's mind reading/control lets him be on par with flash, but then they gave him superspeed too because ???
>>
Rogues worked best when they used their gimmicks to change the world around them and when Barry/Wally had to use ingenuity to get out of a situation. As much as I love John's run, there Wally seems incredibly overpowered with what he can do because of his connection to the Speedforce. Hence why we don't see the traditional gun-toting rogues but rather a new set of metahumans with greater powers than Cold could ever fit in his holster

New Flash is kinda stuck in the middle. If you want a good set of rogues, first you have to go and set some limits to Barry's powers. Or, at the very least, define what all of his powers are. Then you build the villains around that. If its simple and he can just run fast, make villains that in some way affect the ground he runs on or the place he is running to. That's what all of the original rogues do, hence why they work so well. But if he's more powerful and has powers similar Wally's, then you gotta step up your game and make your villains a bit more like reality warpers than your standard costumed crook

For instance, a character who can blind the Flash with a light bulb gun would work better against Barry as it provides a challenge to his speed which is the only major power he has. Barry would have to use his speed in non-traditional applications to save the day. But for Wally, this would be no problem as he could simply speed up the duration so his eyes heal fast enough where it isn't much of a problem. Therefore, a good example of a villain for Wally to catch should be a villain who's made of rubber and can stretch infinitely. The rubber part, at least for this character specifically, would nullify any speed tricks Wally tries to play on him forcing Wally to out-think his opponent with what he can use against him
>>
I think if you had a strong enough telepathic they could be a real challenge to the Flash. Think Andrew from Chronicle, but fully-developed and not insane. This is assuming the telepath's constructs act on a different principal than vibrations.
>>
File: 1459051423464.png (86 KB, 1577x261) Image search: [Google]
1459051423464.png
86 KB, 1577x261
>>81264036
>>
Really you have to blame Waid on this. He hated the classic villains besides Abra Kadabra and basically only focused on speed stuff, so creators who like modern Flash just end up trying to do Waid again and this is what happens.
>>
>>81269900
And I'll add that I don't think it's a power levels thing at all. Just people redoing what they enjoyed.
>>
>>81268426
For Captain Cold, that already happens, but he loses his power after Crime Syndicate come.
>>
>>81264036
Why are you even asking? Speedsters = OP. This is known.
>>
File: Make It Stahp.gif (131 KB, 665x546) Image search: [Google]
Make It Stahp.gif
131 KB, 665x546
>>81264036
Since the New 52 began
>Turbine
>Gorilla Grodd
>Reverse Flash
>Future Flash
>Professor Zoom
Hey guys lets have Flash fight a speedster.That >hasn't been done before.
I would be more excited if he fought Abra Kedabra
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.