[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Superman can hear everything, right? Why doesn't he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5
File: superman-09.jpg (150 KB, 600x790) Image search: [Google]
superman-09.jpg
150 KB, 600x790
So Superman can hear everything, right?

Why doesn't he stop the alcoholic father from raping his six year old daughter?

Or have a stern talking to the billionaire cheating loyal workers out of their pensions?

Or stand in front of the crowbar Joker was using to beat Jason Todd to death?
>>
Why don't you?
>>
>>81259382
because he can't hear everything
>>
>>81259464

You hear enough.
>>
>>81259354
>Why doesn't he stop the alcoholic father from raping his six year old daughter?
>Or have a stern talking to the billionaire cheating loyal workers out of their pensions?

The less-powered Golden Age Superman -- who DIDN'T have the ability to hear everything -- did exactly these things, if he was given enough time to act. He was fucking awesome.

Silver-Age and newer Supes....eh. It's not his problem. Some people like that aspect to him, but I think it's stupid as hell.

I've always hated that Superman is SO over-powered that he's not remotely realistic at all: the concept of people suffering at the hands of others while new-Superman exists makes no real sense.

But writers/editors, in order to "change things up", just completely depower him...which is also boring. It would be much more logical to take away the powers that make him nearly omnipotent: superhearing (across great distances, at least), X-ray vision, and heat vision.
>>
>>81259553
What a shitty post
>>
Golden age superman used it to stop abusive husbands and corrupt bussinessmen. But even when he doesn't, It's called plot convenience, and it's neccesary in a world with literally hundreds of superheroes. Otherwise the Spectre and Jakeem Thunder would have solved all the problems in the world and there wouldn't be any more superhero stories.
>>
I imagine if he let every voice be heard his head would be overwhelmed.
>>
>>81259354
I'm pretty sure he hears everything as like a background noise. Like standing in the city you can hear just the basic hum of humanity going about it's business without picking up any distinct sound. When he's looking for something specific he really had to try to filter out all the noise to find the specific one he's looking for. So he probably doesn't hear all the shit that's going down unless he's actively looking for that particular thing.
>>
>>81259382
This.

Be the change you want to have and stop crying for superhero handouts.
>>
>>81259354
That doesn't happen in the world of comics
>>
>>81259354
Because he wants to live a normal life, too.

He probably finds it incredibly stressful, though.
>>
>>81259354
>So Superman can hear everything, right?
no.
>>
>>81260504
By that logic, why should Superman do anything for anyone else?
>>
>>81259354
>Why doesn't he stop the alcoholic father from raping his six year old daughter?
he was busy saving the people on that train

>Or have a stern talking to the billionaire cheating loyal workers out of their pensions?
he was in space defeating Brainiac

>Or stand in front of the crowbar Joker was using to beat Jason Todd to death?
he was saving people on a sinking ship.
>>
>>81259354

How would he isolate the sounds if he can hear everything?
>>
>>81260596
Because he chooses to.

That's why he's a hero.
>>
>>81259354

>Or stand in front of the crowbar Joker was using to beat Jason Todd to death?

Nigga that shit went down in Iran

Batman was closer than Superman
>>
Super hearing doesn't it even work like that. He hears lot of voices at once, hiding away most of them.
>>
>>81260682
So why isn't he being as good of a hero as he could be?
>>
>>81260627
Are you implying nothing like that happens while he's Clark Kent?

That stuff is literally happening 24/7.
>>
>>81261441
Why aren't you? Why must Superman fill your shoes?
>>
>>81261480
Greater power, greater responsibility.
>>
>>81261630
> Greater power means fulfilling my responsibilities
Cry more entitled child.
>>
>>81261674
My responsibilities end at what I'm capable of.

So do Superman's. He's capable of saving all those people, so it's his responsibility.
>>
>>81260504
>>81261480
>>81261674
This self-centered mentality is exactly what holds humanity back.
>>
>>81261719
you're free to boss Superman around when he decides to follow your commands
>>
>>81259354
He can't

He has to actively choose which problems to attend to first

Also what are other superheroes?
>>
>>81261831
It's not about bossing him around. It's about what is the morally right thing to do.
>>
>>81259354
Because no one wants to read comics where nothing ever happens.
>>
>>81261753
Go to bed Lex.
>>
>>81259354
He tried this in Grounded. Everyone hated it.
>>
>>81261874
> Efficient crime fighting is moral superiority
No it's not. Clark can make just as much contribution or more by working big scale construction or space development. It's not your choice.
>>
>>81261874
It's not morally right to cradle you, go cry to your momma about it.
>>
>>81261890
That's the exact opposite of Lex's views. He's the kind of guy who thinks Superman shouldn't do anything for anyone else, and neither should he.

>>81261909
>Clark can make just as much contribution or more by working big scale construction or space development.
But he isn't doing that, either. He's hanging out as Clark Kent.
>It's not your choice.
I just explained this. It's not about me choosing what he does. It's about what would be the right thing to do.

>>81261934
It's morally right to help those who need help. If Superman wasn't supposed to cradle anyone, he shouldn't superhero at all.
>>
>>81259354
He cant hear everything, and he can't be everywhere at once. He tries to stop the things he thinks will affect the most lives.

That's the drama of superman, he's the world's greatest superhero, the one everyone looks to for hope, but even he can't save everyone, as hard as he tries.
>>
>>81259354
because he doesn't hear everything all the time

and

that isn't his job. There are clearly Superman level threats that no one else can handle, and then there is mundane shit. Any hero that went 24/7 super mode would go crazy as well.
>>
Why doesn't he just gather up all the nukes in the world and throw them into the sun?
>>
>>81262227
>that isn't his job
Nothing is his job. He took it upon himself to do what he does.
>>
>>81262053
> It's not about me choosing what he does
Yeah, it is. You're choosing what is personally most convenient to cover your ass and hiding it under a mask of "the right thing".

That's exactly the sort of thing he wouldn't stand for.
>>
>mother fucking implying
Supes DOES try all of that. Problem is, and here's where people shit their pants and miss the humanizing of the character, he can't be everywhere at once. He's like you, like me, like everyone. We can only do what we can. We can't be everywhere, save everyone, do everything. While he's saving someone from jumping off a building, another person is jumping off another building. While he's fighting Brainiac, a rapist is killing some woman. This is where Clark is the every man, and much easier to relate to than people give him credit. While we're trying to help people, other people are being hurt. Every cop who stops one crime knows there are 20 more going on in the background. Every soldier fighting a war knows there is someone getting their head blown off somewhere else in the world. Clark may be the best of us, but he's still just a man like the rest of us. He may be able to lift more, run faster, do more, but he still can't do it all. That's the point of joining him in the sun. If we were all Clark; if we all made a point to do everything we can in our small little personal worlds to do better and do good, we could do much more. That's the point of hope. Knowing that your part matters. That trying matters. A drop of water doesn't do much, but a billion drops will cause a flood. That's all Clark is. Just one drop in a big picture. It doesn't matter if he's literally Superman, he's still just one guy. Even a guy who can take a bullet to the face and laugh about it still needs help.
>>
>>81262525
>You're choosing what is personally most convenient to cover your ass and hiding it under a mask of "the right thing".
Superman doesn't exist in the real world. I'm not asking him to do anything for me.

I'm saying the morally right thing to do would be to help everyone else he can in his universe.
>>
>>81262551
But he's not Superman 24/7. He's living a normal life some of the time. I don't blame him for it, but by doing so he is choosing to let lots of bad things happen so that he can put his own desires first.
>>
>>81262227
Read Irredeemable for an example of what happens if Superman never takes a day off
>>
>>81262613

So are you. You slept last night instead of working three jobs to make more money to donate to clean water charities

You asshole
>>
>>81262864
You may want to re-read my post.

>I don't blame him for it
I never said it made him an asshole.
>>
One should not expect a person with abilities of any sort tobe enslaved. He does not owe anyone anything, what he does is what he choses to. Calling it moral to expect another person to forego their own life to enslave themselves to everyone who would demand his time is telling him the right thing to do is to become a robot to everyone elses needs rather than his own.

Should docotors be expected to work 24/7 for no pay? Firefighters? Police? Army? Teachers? No logical person would say that. They understand a person is more than their ability or function.

What Superman is is an ideal. He stands for doing the right thing, living up to your potential. Stop thinking of what a person can do for you, think of fostering the fortitue to act for yourself.
>>
Remember what Lex ranted in BvS? About how God can't be all-powerful because if he was, why didn't anyone stop Lex's father from abusing him. And if God was all-good, that means he has no power.

Makes you realize how powerless Superman can truly be when he can't be everywhere at once.
>>
>>81262574
> Morally right thing
And what would that be? Catching purse thieves? Locking down banks? Punching every rapist ever? Blowing up tanks? Running a gigantic hamster wheel generator? Lasering cancer to death? Moving mountains?

Who decides these things? What is considered more "morally right" than another? Why is only superman held accountable to this standard? Is it because he might be dumb enough to listen? Where does it end?

Anon. You're basically crying why god won't solve your petty problems. That's not any kind of lesson for a hero to teach.
>>
>>81261467
Then he would never get to be Clark Kent if he spent 24 hours a day keeping humanity in a bottle
>>
>>81262524
He's a news reporter. That's a job.
>>
>>81262954
>Why is only superman held accountable to this standard?
It's not only Superman. Superman's just a lot more capable than most people, so he has a much greater responsibility.

>Anon. You're basically crying why god won't solve your petty problems.
The post says the exact opposite you dumb fuck.

>>81262982
Yes, duh.
>>
>>81262893
You just think there's no justifiable reason why he shouldn't be superman 24/7
>>
>>81263046
No, you're just being a total retard.

I straight-up said that I don't blame him for choosing to ignore those disasters so that he can live a normal life.
>>
>>81263036
>The post says the exact opposite you dumb fuck.
>>81262574
> The morally right thing is for superman to do everything for everyone

Stay entitled little child.
>>
>>81259354

Isn't this partly why the guy from Irredeemable went insane?
>>
>>81263098
You're just conveniently ignoring:
>>81262574
>Superman doesn't exist in the real world. I'm not asking him to do anything for me.
>>
>>81263098
Superman would be disappointed in you.
>>
>>81263320
> Asking superman to change his comic
> I'm not asking for anything I swear!
Whether it is in universe or not, it's entitled crying all the same. "Why doesn't superman do this blablabla".

Go ahead. Help people. You don't have to be das ubermensch to do it. Or settle for a >>81263340 instead.
>>
>>81263497
But I do help people. I'm not demanding that Superman help more. I'm just saying it'd be the moral thing to do. If he wants to put himself first sometimes, that's his call, but it's not the right thing.
>>
>>81259354
Even the Man of Steel needs a day off to laugh at the writhing pile of shit that is Mankind.
>>
>>81263563
By that logic it is morally wrong for Superman to sleep, eat, poop, talk, make friends, have hobbies, or get paid for anything he does.

Congrats. Superman the slave is the peak of moral superiority. You win.
>>
>>81259475
You teach yourself to tune out most of it cause too much at once
Mostly he keeps and ear out for alarms and other shit
>>
>>81259354
Cause it's a fictional universe where fictional people deal with fictional problems. It's about escapism not to remind you on the bleakness of existence and the futility of trying.
>>
File: Supes feels.jpg (60 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
Supes feels.jpg
60 KB, 500x363
>>81262551
I'm screen capping this shit.
>>
Wasn't there a comic explaining what would happen if Superman tried to stop crime all the time that did so via giving Batman Kypnonian powers and having Batman go nuts trying to fix everything?
>>
>>81262613
>>81262893
>>81263094
>but by doing so he is choosing to let lots of bad things happen so that he can put his own desires first
The only retard i see here is you. ''I don't blame him'' does nothing to make the second part of that sentence seem any less like blaming and criticizm, and anyone would interpret it like that.
>>
>>81266797

That's just Batman already being halfway to nuts.
>>
>>81263259
Yes, the reason he went insane where thankless scumbags like OP always demanding more and acting entitled, and retarded scientists nagging him for alien tech and then fucking up as soon as he gave it to them.
>>
>>81266936
Man that guy had it rough.
>>
>>81259354
Because he's too busy jerking off
>>
>>81261753
Nah. People waiting for others to do everything for them instead of making things better of their own volition is what holds humanity back.

The kind of people who don't sit and wait for a prospective 'superman' to come fix their problems are the ones who institute change. They see things and they seek to make them better. they don't go 'who doesn't someone else come and make this better'.
>>
>>81263563
By your logic you not dedicating all money you earn to charity or helping others except only that which you NEED to survive is immoral. Also you spending any time you don't require to earn funds to SURVIVE or deal with normal human bodily functions (eat sleep shit) not helping others in every way you are capable of is also immoral.

You are actually putting forth the logic that if someone is CAPABLE or doing something to help others and does not spend every moment of their waking life doing so...they are not moral. Well okay then by that ridiculous standard no superman is not a moral being. Neither is any other human being on the face of the earth no probably any who has ever lived.
>>
File: Supes hope.png (33 KB, 1394x170) Image search: [Google]
Supes hope.png
33 KB, 1394x170
>>81262551
>>81266774
>>
>>81261441
>>81261719
>>81261874
>>81262053

>this fictional character isn't doing enough to solve real world problems
>>
>>81262954
>Why is only superman held accountable to this standard?

This. It's always Superman with these real world issues bs getting called out. He's main thing is that he can fly and lift heavy things. Not be omnipresent.
Fuck, I bet Green Lantern could solve the problem of pollution if he gave a fuck. and Zatanna could cure cancer if only she said so. Here I'll help her, it's: eruc recnac.
>>
>>81259354

How do you know he doesn't do that? Just cause it's not shown, doesn't mean he doesn't do it.
Or maybe that shit just doesn't happen cause DC Universe is PG-13 and closer to Middle Earth than our world.
>>
>>81267930
What about Thor. He's friends with a guy who can see everything and his father is the Allfather. He can fly, shoot energy, nigh invulnerable and super strong yet why doesn't Thor solve all the world's problems
>>
>>81268074
Cause Marvel NY =/= Our world

Their problems aren't abusive dads and famine. It's Galactus and Ultron.
>>
File: 1433149368784.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1433149368784.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
might have been posted already but I don't give a fuck
>>
If I drop my sandwich, why doesn't Superman make me another one?
>>
>>81259354
He probably does off-screen and occasionally has on-screen.
You generally don't see a superhero's complete routine from day to day.
And, in spite of all the wanking supernogs give him, he's just one guy and (generally) can't solve every problem.
>>
>>81260504
>stop whining and get superpowers already
>>
>>81259553
I would remove X-ray, Superheaaring and Frozen breath.
It's just too convenient.

The character kind of contradict itself especially with the superhearing.
He takes the time to prevent someone from jumping off a building and even chat with this person, but meanwhile other are dying.

A more logical way to put it would be that Supes is constantly flying, trying to save everyone, not taking the time to slow down. He would basically be KIngdom Come Flash.
>>
>>81267837
Those same problems exist in his fictional universe.
>>
File: peace.png (1 MB, 1440x967) Image search: [Google]
peace.png
1 MB, 1440x967
>>81267837
He's tried before with mixed results.
>>
>>81264259
I didn't say it was morally wrong. Morality isn't a binary right/right scale.

He's choosing to not do a certain thing that would be right, but it's perfectly reasonable for him to not want to.
>>
>>81266894
No, only someone insecure who sees personal attacks everywhere would see that.
>>
>>81269211
Only when the writer wants to do some afterschool special story.

Usually it's just killer robots Lex Luthor and the fucking Prankster that represent the hardships of DCU.
>>
>>81259354
He stopped child abuse in Grounded.
Nobody ever talks about it, because it was shit.
>>
>>81267476
See:
>>81269266
>>
>>81269211
He generally gets credited for starting a legacy of ~peace on Earth~ and setting up the United Planets too. We just only see the present day things.
>>
>>81262613
They addressed this in Supergirl. She was supergirl 24/7 and didn't have a normal life, and she got progressively worse at being a hero because of mental fatigue and stress and shit. They need to live normal lives.
>>
>>81269266
That just means superman is only as moral or right as the most moral of human beings.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.