[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people live in cities with actual powered people walking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: wth2.jpg (69 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
wth2.jpg
69 KB, 800x500
Why do people live in cities with actual powered people walking around? Shit gets destroyed every week or month. Marvel's New York must be paying people to live there. Same with DC's Metropolis.
>>
>>81254420

It's fiction.
>>
>>81254436
Fiction has to have a reason.
>>
Where are they going to move? Nobody's going to buy real estate from them.
>>
>>81254420
>city gets destroyed every few months
>they always rebuild it exactly like it used to be

Cape comics.
>>
>>81254420
Most people just live where they're born.
>>
>why do people continue to live in cities

the same reasons as real life OP

either they cant afford to leave or they dont want to, its not complicated
>>
>>81254420
Sause?
>>
>>81254420
Why did people live in New York in the 70s when crime and sleeze was rampant? Why do people live in Detroit? Why do people live in LA with Compton? Why do people live in Somalia?
>>
>>81254476
Only landmarks. Why do you think it always looks different from comic to comic.
>>
>>81254420
>>81254436
>>81254471

Why do people live in cities with armed gang problems?

Why do people live in cities with secret police or criminal protection rackets?

Why do people live in cities with air pollution so bad it literally kills a few people a day?

Why does anybody at all want to live in Jerusalem, the center of pointless, random, shitty violence between bigots for the past 4000 years, even leaving aside the actual wars fought over it?
>>
>>81254420
If a city is hurting, it'll offer businesses tax breaks to operate there. People don't have much choice but to go where the jobs are, whether they want to live in the area or not.
>>
>>81254578
>>81254654

Makes sense, makes sense. So, everyone from Metropolis and where ever else should be a hardened asshole. Which doesn't show through in some cases. But I see now.
>>
>>81254722
Gothamites are always going on about how they are tough and don't fuck with gotham attitude. Metropolis has a more pride in they have Superman attitude.
>>
A counter to this question, how come villains haven't made some backwatertown their own little paradise? No superheroes in Bugfuck, Missouri? Grand old time.
>>
>>81254420
>why do people live in cities where hot chicks in tight spandex are walking around
gee i dunno. lets go ask my boner what his opinion is of this matter
>>
>>81254746
The two biggest motives for villains are conquer/rule and steal stuff. Those places offer neither. 3rd biggest is love to kill and chaos. Big cities also offer a more ample place for that.
>>
>>81254746
Mosquitoes. Fuck that shit.
>>
File: marvel nyc.png (2 MB, 1849x637) Image search: [Google]
marvel nyc.png
2 MB, 1849x637
>>81254420

They know man

but look at the real world: people live on fault lines or in areas near volcanoes, or in places like Japan that get assfucked by tsunamis regularly, or on the gulf of Mexico where hurricanes and tropical storms fucking wipe shit out

I guess people are willing to take the risk
>>
>>81254420
I love this haircut. What's it called?
>>
>>81254992
I also have been trying to figure this out for a while.
>>
>>81254877
>I guess people are willing to take the risk
I'd say people are very good at ignoring things.
>>
>>81254992
Ask your girlfriend.
>>
>>81254420

If I found myself in the Marvel universe I would ship my ass to New Zealand immediately. Fuck living in the US and fuck New York especially
>>
>>81255257
Shit, if I lived in the Marvel universe I would leave the planet altogether

Earth is like the crossroads of all horrible shit in the universe
>>
because it's a comic book
grow up
>>
Why isn't there more organized crime in Metropolis? Is it just Lex stomping their shit into the ground?
>>
>>81255291
>in Metropolis?

because of Superman
>>
it's a norm. there are super-fighting in every country and every city
>>
>>81255311

But it's all back alley dealings and shit and Lex has hundreds of dodgy dealings going on at anyone time
>>
>>81255257
And then New Zealand gets invaded and taken over due to the lack of superheroes.

Catch 22.
>>
Because small towns have less supervillains, but NO superheroes.
Carnage destroyed an entire rural town before anyone noticed, nowhere is safe
>>
>>81255401

Guess I just kill myself instead of living in the nightmare that is the Marvel universe then
>>
>>81255356
Yeah, but there's also supercops with power armor.
True, metahumans are always fighting there but between the robo-cops and the god-like savior the citizens are actually pretty safe, and enjoy a pretty good standard of living.
...Shit, Metropolis is DC's Latveria.
>>
>>81255286
the other planets just get obliterated .
ask the broccoli people. Or Bta Ray Bill. Or the Skrulls. Or the Kree.
>>
In Marvel I've always felt it's implied that every other part of the US has its own thriving superhero community. Yost's Scarlet Spider went into Dallas' local team, for example. I wish there would be more comics going into that stuff but it's like wishing DC would go more into all their alt universes.

I imagine some small southern US towns would have like one superhero, and be similar to early Giffen Blue Beetle III.
>>
>>81254992
bump for interest
>>
>>81254436
The "it's fiction" response always came of as a shortened version of "the creator was ignorant of how thing's actually work/ the creator knows how they actually work but doesn't want to have his work crippled by having to explain everything/ the creator just didn't cared".
>>
>>81254420
Why do people live in an area called "tornado alley"?
>>
>>81254420
It's only recently that cities started being able to keep their population up without needing people to move in to replace those who died of disease and yet people did. Is it really that hard to believe that people are willing to move into a city that has superhero fight?
>>
>>81254420
I remember pre-Nu52 Power Girl run were Manhattan was attacked like 3 times in a week. The book itself made it a joke.
>>
>>81256701
People moved into cities because this is where jobs are. The question is how does a city that is regularly leveled can still offer jobs?
>>
>>81255257

New Zealand doesnt exist in the Marvel universe
>>
>>81257248
80% of the population work in construction.
>>
>>81257250
Who do the Marvel Australians make fun of?
>>
File: silent-girl.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
silent-girl.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>>81254540
Not Op, but I remember seeing this pic like 6 years ago and I'm horny teenage cock spent like like a nonstop week looking for it
>>
>>81255431
And now, you're in hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsW6SrmvwA
>>
File: fire giant.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
fire giant.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>81254420

Chile is a country that has tsunamies every month, that has 10 5.0+ earthquakes every month and they call 7.0 Earthwuakes "mild to strong tremors". they have over 600 active volcanoes. and get flooded all the time. And they are attacked by fire giants.

The truth is: people dont give a fuck.
>>
>>81257346
The fuck is that fire giant?
>>
>>81257284
But who finance the construction. As in what kind of mad entrepreneur would finance a building in a place where it will be ruined the very next week? What could possibly justify building in perpetual heavy-armed warzone?
>>
>>81257346
It must be hard, getting attacked by fire giants that don't do anything but stand there.
>>
>>81257299
the savage lands
>>
>>81255212
I live in a trailer no one has bothered to actually secure in the middle of tornado ally and spring is here, sometimes you just really think about it until its too late
>>
>>81257396
Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen.
>>
>>81258172
They'd go bankrupt very soon. How long can you invest in buildings with no return?
>>
>>81254471
Senseless destruction means steady employment for contractors.
>>
>>81258533
Businesses do not exist for sole purpose of giving people jobs. They aren't going to rebuild what is constantly destroyed.
>>
>>81257346

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf0P0Q-sME
>>
>>81258423
what is insurance
>>
>>81259087
>Hey, Mr. Insurance, I'm planning on developing property in superhero-infested region and I want you to cover my losses when it gets destroyed. Mr. Insurance? Where are you going?
>>
>>81258423
Wayne has unlimited funds. When he goes to the bathroom in the morning he shits money.
>>
>>81259189
So he single-assedly turned US into Zimbabwe?
>>
>>81259168
>what is coercion
>>
>>81259284
So in your demented vision of superhero economics, rich people would invest into doomed assets and then bully insurance companies (Who, I assume, have infinite funds in your vision) to cover their inevitable losses?
>>
New York is one of the best cities on the planet, and you really wouldnt understand unless you lived here, anon.

The cultural center of the universe.
The best pizza.
ALWAYS something to do.
A store for literally everything.
>>
>>81254578
>Why did people live in New York in the 70s when crime and sleeze was rampant?

It was cheap as FUCK

And the people who stayed? Fuck, some of them live just down the road from Times Square and are only paying $300 a month as opposed to $2k like everyone else because it's a rent controlled apartment.
>>
>>81259311
Yeh man

But really, using logic at all in comics is an exercise in futility. Why use something like the Bat-signal instead of texting Batman? What if he doesn't see it? What if he's in the shower?

Why has no one wondered why Clark Kent abandons everyone to die when shit happens?
>>
I wonder if NY citizens often hang around secret research facilities and hazardous material storages hopping to become the next Spider-Man.
>>
>>81259457
It's obvious that Clark Kent runs off to capture the best camera angles for his newspaper. As long as he captures pics mere feet from the action his coworkers aren't going to complain.
>>
>>81259457
>But really, using logic at all in comics is an exercise in futility. Why use something like the Bat-signal instead of texting Batman? What if he doesn't see it? What if he's in the shower?
It's basically a dead drop. It might not be super convenient, but it can't be traced to a specific receiver, unlike SMS, instand messanger, phone call.
>>
File: ac4[1].gif (2 MB, 312x176) Image search: [Google]
ac4[1].gif
2 MB, 312x176
>>
>>81259085
WTF
>>
>>81259457
>Why use something like the Bat-signal instead of texting Batman?

The Batsignal means:

The night belong to batman.

If you are doing something bad and see that in the sky you will think that meaby he is after you, or that he is close.
>>
>>81260500
or they could just leave as soon as they see the signal. For some reason villains always act so stupidly, there are many ways to circumvent Batman but no one ever does.
>>
>>81260448
>WTF
get out
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.