[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We all know that except for a very few stories (pic related)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: ShazamSavesTheDay.jpg (476 KB, 1024x1613) Image search: [Google]
ShazamSavesTheDay.jpg
476 KB, 1024x1613
We all know that except for a very few stories (pic related) Captain Marvel AKA Shazam was always portrayed as weaker than Superman. And we all know that that's because Superman is DC's flag and pride and OP as fuck and they don't want a rip-off of him.

If DC didn't try to make Shazam such a pussy every chance they have (Flashpoint movie, Throne of Atlantis movie, Injustice game and basically everytime they put him with Supes) just because he was created by a different company, couldn't he be one of the most badass superhero?

I'm not even saying that he should be better than Superman, 'cause even with Solomon's wisdom he's still a boy and therefore more vulnerable, I think. But he should be a hell of a powerhouse, capable of giving Superman a reasonable fight.
>>
I agree.
>>
There's a Billy thread already up and there's some discussion of his new powers which basically make him god
>>
Care to share any examples where Superman is portrayed more powerful than Captain Marvel? In everything I've seen they're shown to be evenly matched or Captain Marvel cheeses Superman with the magic lightning.
>>
>>81253474
I really don't get you man.

Sure in broad strokes I don't think Captain Marvel gets the absolute highest praise over Superman. But not because he was made by a different company it's just that he isn't Superman and the Superstrong half of the personification of DC Comics image. In practice in the comics he's held at the same levels of power and they trade villains.

In the JL War and Throne of Atlantis he's a 12 year old kid and prone to showboating and distraction. But I also remember Superman going out like a bitch in War.

In Flashpoint Captain Thunder is the strongest known US hero after the Atlantian attack and sure he dies when everything turns into a bloodbath; but only to Wonder Woman after she drags his transformation word out of him. That's not really any different than dudes randomly shoving kryptonite in Supe's face, except it doesn't involve childkilling.
>>
Technically, Shazam is stronger than Supes because he uses magic which is one of Supes weaknesses.
>>
>>81253474
>If DC didn't try to make Shazam such a pussy every chance they have (Flashpoint movie, Throne of Atlantis movie, Injustice game and basically everytime they put him with Supes) just because he was created by a different company, couldn't he be one of the most badass superhero?
He was growing to be more popular than Superman, that's the whole reason DC sued.
>>
>>81254232
>magic which is one of Supes weaknesses.
You're going to summon them.
>>
>>81254144
>in the comics he's held at the same levels of power

Has he? I think that's more of a readers conception than a fact showed by the comics. Sure, there's that time that he knocked out Superman with a sucker-punch and in Injustice Year Four when he owned Hercules (who was bitch slapping both Superman and Wonderwoman). But the rest of the time it seems he's a really strong dude, and that's it.

Seriously, all I can think of is Marvel getting off quickly in all important events, with no big role. And I'm not talking of being the absolute protagonist. But aside from little non-important stories, he always gets out of the ecuation too soon.

My problem isn't that Captain Marvel isn't overpowered or stronger than Superman, tho. I don't want that. He's not even my favorite superhero, nor am I a fanboy or something. It's just that I see a lot of potential. I think that if DC gives him a little attention, he could be a really popular hero. I don't know why he's underated by DC (not having his own title even if characters like Starfire have their own) other than to preserve Superman by not giving him a direct competition. And in order to do this, I think, they don't quite make Captain Marvel as strong as you could asume he is based on his lore and description. Six gods in one kid? That's a hell of a premise.

TL;DR, he could be much more than he is, but DC keeps him in second/third plane.
>>
>>81254363

It's not a weakness though. It just affects him like it does everyone else.
>>
>>81253474
I always trumped it up to magic.

Like Superman vs (enter bad guy here) and Captain Marvel/Shazam vs (same bad guy).

Superman would take him out seemingly with more ease. But Superman vs Shazam becomes a more even could go either way fight because of magic. That's been my justification for it.
>>
>>81254987
Which means a magic super punch from Billy should hit Supes like a normal person i.e. turn him into a fine bloody mist thats a weakness
>>
>>81255103
That's not how it works. Magic bypasses Superman's bioelectric field, the same thing that protects his costume. Magic attacks are more effective against him, but he's not actually powerless.
>>
>>81253474
He can give Superman a reasonable fight, and frequently does so. But that's because his powers are based on magic. When Shazam fights Superman, they're fairly equal. But that doesn't mean Shazam can do all the things Superman can, things that don't share that convenient weakness.
>>
>>81253941
Planet lifting in New 52. Does Billy jave feats like that in New 52?
>>
>>81253941
Flying 40 times the speed of light. Shazam ever do that?
>>
>>81255463
Shazam doesn't have Superman's vision powers for one, just rough equivalents to his strength and invulnerability and speed, and Supes uses his vision powers a LOT.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.