[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we agree this movie is better than MoS and BvS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: superman returns.jpg (30 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
superman returns.jpg
30 KB, 300x444
Can we agree this movie is better than MoS and BvS?
>>
no. It sucked, you suck. you're just trying to ride the wave of BvS buttblast.
>>
inb4 thread full of Man of Murder fanboys defending their movie.
>>
No this movie was terrible. People need to realize that Superman is just a bad character and you cannot produce good movies centered around him.
>>
>>81249842
You know, despite the MANY faults of BvS and MoS, there are still bits and pieces here and there that provide some entertainment while trying to do something new. Returns arguably is a rehash of the Donner films and the only redeeming scene in it is the plane crash
>>
Plane crash scene is GOAT and Returns at least has a) colour and b) humour in it

So yes, it is marginally better than Man of Murder and Batslaughter v Superdickhead
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 328x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 328x448
>>81249922
Gr8 b8 m8.

Idiot.
>>
>>81249930
>didn't like the bullet scene
>>
>>81249989
It had zero tension, it was just a scene to remind us how OP Superman is.You're invested in the plane scene because the situation gradually gets worse
>>
>>81249842
Yeah but it's still a shitty movie.
>>
File: 1434215905700s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1434215905700s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>81249922
>>
>Can we agree that this piece of cat shit smells better than this piece of dog shit?
>>
Hell no the movie is boring as shit. You have an actor trying to imitate another guys performance.
>>
No...
RETURNS GOOD STUFF
> Plane Rescue
> Mini Gun
> Lex most of the time
> The Rising of the island and Lois & Son trapped on boat being torn apart and sunk.
> Cyclops was good I Thought.

MOS GOOD STUFF
> Everything that is not the tornado scene, the lack of showing Clark helping people after taking out Zod, the lack of happy moments between Clark & the Kents, the quip during the kiss, a few specific lines of dialogue (tinkle, troll the intern pool, measuring dicks, kinda hot) and for SOME of the audience the 2 religious moments.
>>
>>81249842
It had a better story overall and better characterizations for almost everyone. But they retreaded the same material and I don't know how to say this properly because Spacey was great but they had a boring villain/final conflict. Kind of touching, but boring. MoS and BvS are kind of the exact opposite. God AWFUL story and shit interpretation of the characters BUT DAMN THOSE FINAL FIGHTS. UNF

If you could have had the first movie and took out all the land bullshit and Lex and some something like Brainiac followed him back to earth when he went on his space walk about. And the climax is him fighting this army of "Iron Giant" like robots before facing off against A mother ship and then Brainiac himself. You could have had an AWESOME Superman Returns movie.

As it is, I just appreciate it for all the thing the Snyder movies sucked at.
>>
>>81249842

No, it sucked harder than your mom.
>>
>>81249842
Better storytelling, lazy action.

Snyder knows how to sell an action scene, hes like bizzaro nolan.
>>
>>81251320
Fucking explain to me how the full story is bad let alone awful in MOS? Details are flawed totally but how the fuck is the full story a bad fucking story?
>>
>>81251350
Honestly I think it's enough details are flawed so consistently throughout it's just realy bad. Like basic concept Superman origin with a bit of uncertainty of how to proceed with life until major event forces hand is fine.

The sending all the genetic material with Kal-El serves no purpose other than to give Zod a reason to fight Supes later on in life. The Phantom Zone prisoners are freed as soon as Krypton explodes giving them 30 years almost to get there shit together and settle down somewhere but nope (and fine, finding a habitable planet is hard) but none of them age in the 30 years that they're looking. Clark doesn't know what to do with his life, kind of a wanderer at the end of the movie he wants to be a reporter saw nothing the entire movie that would give him an in (unless Lois vouched for him) or credentials to do so. He as far as is shown has no reason and by my interpretation through most of his childhood seemed to be discouraged from helping others. But hey his planet is on the line his mom lives on the planet cool. But that's not the reasoning they go with they went with sitting in a church for however long and talking to a preacher undid years of lessons about looking out for yourself. I still don't get the aversion from Zod and crew about toughing out on Earth getting powers learning to use them and then kicking the shit out of Superman as a superpowered army and then terraforming earth for the good of their species. I still don't know how they got super powers at all when it seems the suit protects them from some effects of being on earth but not others. Someone has said that the suits give them the power like battle suits but that was never explained and I can make up shit to explain away inconsistencies it doesn't make it good writing though. There's just enough...all the way through the movie that tears at all the story points and TO ME invalidates them.
>>
>>81249842
Pffft, ahaha, no. At least Man of Steel and Batman v Superman had awesome action scenes. Superman Returns is flat out boring and has the most inconsequential plot of any super hero film.
>>
>>81249842

No, this movie is way worse. Wasted perfect casting - Kevin Spacey could have been GOAT Lex but instead he just fucked an old lady and had yet another real estate scheme with a kryptonite island.

weeeeeeeeeeew

Superman being a deadbeat dad too, what the fuck.
>>
>>81249842
Nope. Not even close.
>>
>>81249842
It got the character better, but it still sucked. It was a boring, mopey, plodding movie
>>
>>81251007
>MOS GOOD STUFF
>literally lists only bad stuff
I understand you mean everything besides that but it doesn't make a strong point.
>>
>>81249842
SR has a better pace, edit and story telling but it still more boring than MoS and BvS.
>>
File: Lex_luthor_still.jpg (33 KB, 627x268) Image search: [Google]
Lex_luthor_still.jpg
33 KB, 627x268
WROOOOOOOONG
>>
>>81252017
genetic material > 'all are hopes and dreams' ride on kal el
zod knew the codex was with kal and was primarily motivated by that to find kal
kal is wandering but does help people anywhere he can, it's the reason louis is in the movie
as to how he got the job i don't know. its never told to us whether he has a degree or the extent of his work experience
he was not discouraged from helping others. his father only ever wanted clark to be aware of the full gravity of his situation "who ever you turn out to be will change the world" "you have to decide the man you want to be clark"
the reason he's at the church is because he doesn't know who to trust. he puts his faith on humanity
zod wants to get krypton back asap, that'll all that moves him
their powers came purely from their physiology and the sun
>>
As a movie, it's better than MoS.

As a Superman movie....it's still beter than MoS.

But as a DRAGON BALL Z MOVIE, it absolutely sucks compared to MoS. DRAGON DRAGON ROCK THE DRAGON, DRAGON BALLLLLLL ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
>>
The plane scene is better, and it's got a better Lex, even if his script isn't great. I'd argue its Lois is a little better as well. I like Amy Adams, just not in this role.
Other than those scenes, it's a boring mediocre movie. As opposed to the Snyder movies, which are boring, mediocre, and infuriating. I'd still rank it about 2 points higher than MoS if only because while I stuill hat to fight to stay awake asleep, at least I can leave it on when it's on TV without feeling kinda grossed out.
>>
>>81254234

dragonball z is actually fun tho
>>
>>81253996

It is definitely not more boring than BvS. Nothing is. Waiting in line at the DMV is more exciting than that piece of trash.
>>
>>81254167
>genetic material > 'all are hopes and dreams' ride on kal el
You can have that without the codex.

Also is it really that hard to spell Lois? Every time I come into these threads someone's always throwing a U in there.
>>
>>81254260
And Goku is one of those incorruptibly pure and innocent types.
>inb4 people act like his love of battle makes him any less pure and good
>>
>>81249842
What a nice meme.
>>
>>81254310

Well, she was pretty mannish.
>>
>>81249842
Nope
>>
>>81249842
Superman Returns takes a gigantic dump all over Man of Steel from great heights.
>>
I haven't watched either Returns nor BvS but I can't agree witht he praise I've seen for MoS fights.
2 invicible flying bricks throwing each others through buildings repeatedly for 15 minutes just isn't my cup of tea. Maybe if I cared about any of them.
>>
>>81254310
shit nigga my bad on the louis thing i swear i won't spell louis as louis anymore

yeah but seriously jor-el's hope was that eventually kal-el could make something without the flaws of his own society, it's symbolic but yeah he could have gone without it
i suppose it's hegelian in a way as well
>>
>>81254452

You just have to be easily impressed by simple, shiny things. The Tick would be a huge MoS fan, for instance. But seriously, some people only go see movies for the spectacle with little regard to storytelling or character development. Just look at how many people pay to see Michael Bay movies.
>>
File: 1400693500163.jpg (40 KB, 600x405) Image search: [Google]
1400693500163.jpg
40 KB, 600x405
>>81249842
I would rather have Man of Frown compared to Man of Stalking
>>
>>81254447

I agree 100%. And I think Superman Returns sucks.
>>
>>81254520
I don't even mind dumb action in theory, I just don't even think it looks that good there, even besides the fact that I'm not engaged in it.
Say what you want about Michael Bay Bad Boys is a much better movie than MoS.
>>
I would watch MoS over Returns anyday.
>>
>>81254608

Well, the reason you're not engaged in it at all is because they did nothing to make you care about any of the characters or the conflict that was happening onscreen. You may as well have been watching a video game, disconnected from any story.
>>
Superman film ranking:

Best - Superman: The Movie
Very Good - Superman 2
Not so good - Superman Returns
So bad it's good - Superman IV
So bad and boring - Superman III
So bad and boring and CRAWWWWWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIN - Man of Steel
Ohmygodwhatthefuckisthisshit - Batman v. Superman
>>
>>81254655
I'm aware of that, I'm saying it's bad even aside from that. It's not visually creative in any way, it's just a bunch of run-of-the-mill flying bricks fights, a less well choregraphed DBZ fight if you will.
Even Hulk vs Hulkbuster was more visually interesting.
>>
>>81249842
Is it a better movie than both: I would say yes.
I think it is a much more well thought out and competently told story. It has characters with motivations that make sense, doing things it makes sense for them to do. And it had some damn good superman moments which after sitting through the snyder films I kind of appreciate.
I went back and rewatched the thing and I was surprised how much I enjoyed seeing superman save metropolis when before I was a little bummed he didn't punch anyone. And honestly it was kinda lacking in the punching area which i think was because of the Donner worship. But its risen in my estimation since I first watched the film and that is in no small part due to Singers direction. The guy is a real director of film and can put style and fluff aside for a good structured story. Structure being a thing sorely lacking in BvS.

The thing about Snyders DC movies (and i honestly think this is what garners alot of people to his favor) is they have good parts in them. watching faora throw superman around through buildings and into bank vaults is really cool. And its like 'wow yeah this is what kryptonians would fight like'. Seeing Batman take those bad guys apart in that building was the first time any movie has shown batman fighting guys like I always imagined batman fought them in the fucking comic books. Some of those hamfisted religious visuals....are actual pretty cool visuals. But when put together the movies are just crass dumb things. When I sit through either of them I don't feel like ive sat and enjoyed a story but been beaten about my senses with shit snyder thought was cool and stretched of poorly edited together dour eulogies in between.
>>
>>81249842
nope, it was shit
>>
>>81254707

I agree, but I'll give it this much. I could at least tell what was happening, even if it did look like a video game cutscene.
>>
>>81254714
>when before I was a little bummed he didn't punch anyone.

It's really strange that people get angry about this. Superman was never about punching things. He's Superman, not Rocky Balboa lol.
>>
>>81254736
That's true, at least it wasn't darker than in Batman's asshole and shakier than Michael J. Fox's home movies.
>>
>>81254707
Thats because for all the issues of Age of ultron the fights understand the idea of progression with action.
Snyder fights are just shit hitting each other until the fight ends. The hulkbuster fight for example kept changing.
One moment its punching, then its moving along, now were going up a building, now tony loses track of hulk, now hes hit from behind and loses an arm, now hes got to hold the hulk off until he replaces the arm, now the fights in a place with civilians nearby and tony has to hold off the hulk AND save them. It isn't just them trying to hurt one another, there are changes in goals and tension being built.

It feels like theres some motion to it. I mean shit the doomsday fight I clearly recall this one moment where batman is (like hes an audience member) watching the fucking battle. And its just this blurry masses shooting red shit at one another while bouncing around. And it just summed up all the action in his films. SHIT HIT OTHER SHIT HARD. And no matter how much dynamic camerawork or crumbling building you throw into that it isn't all that interesting after a while.
>>
>>81254766
Dude superman punches shit all the time. Lets not act like his fucking comics don't have tons of instances where hes fighting some super powered human, robot, monster, or alien he has to knock around for a while.
It don't matter 'what he's about', it's just something he does and does on a regular basis.
>>
>>81254839
i'd say it's not even about what he's about specifically but what the fuck do you think they made superman for that is what cape comicbook shit has always been about
>>
>>81254839

The idea that you can't enjoy a Superman story without Superman punching another superpowered thing is simple-minded and dumb.
>>
>>81254886

>comic books in a nutshell
>>
>>81254898
Isn't a matter of being unable to. It's a cool element of the character. He fights these big crazy bad guys.
His kind of comics are action adventure stories. That often involve fighting so it'd be cool to have seen what a fight with that director would have been like.
>>
>>81254815
Yeah you summed it up pretty well.
Just shit hitting each other real hard without any progression, it's not like they even damage each other most of the time (at least in MoS). Makes the whole thing seem entirely pointless.
>>
>>81255032

There are other ways to show Superman subduing an enemy without resorting to close up fisticuffs, though. I'd rather see Superman use his powers in creative ways than see a mindless brawl where two grunts toss each other through rocks or boulders constantly.
>>
>>81255085
Id like to see superman use his powers creatively too. Id also like to see superman fight a dude. In fact it'd be even better to see superman fight a guy using his powers creatively to defeat said guy or prevent him from hurting people.
>>
>>81255129

I can agree with that.
>>
>>81249842
Well yes, it is better.

But that doesn't necessarily make it a good Superman movie either, actually more than being better i'd have to say it's just not as bad.
>>
>>81249842
BvS kind of retroactively made MoS worse. So sure.
>>
>>81249842
You're nuts.

Mos and BvS are light-years better than that shit.
>>
I was thinking about this recently

Superman returns was for me at least a more entertaining watch than both Man of Steel and BvS
>>
>>81249842

Superman Returns is the better-made movie, but MOS / BvS is funner to watch.
>>
File: pretty accurate.png (481 KB, 410x950) Image search: [Google]
pretty accurate.png
481 KB, 410x950
>>
>>81249842
I've never seen it but sure, why not
>>
>>81249842
waaaaaaaay better
>>
>>81256197
this.
>>
>>81249842
it was better
>>
>>81249922
One day they will get Superman right on the big screen and then everyone will understand.
>>
>>81251349

Snyder should only be in charge of trailers and actions scenes. Is where he's the best.
>>
>>81254349
He literally fucked up Namek up because he wanted to rub dicks with Freezer some more even though he could have stopped him.
>>
>>81251320
>they retreaded the same material and I don't know how to say this properly because Spacey was great but they had a boring villain/final conflict

>>81253467
>Wasted perfect casting - Kevin Spacey could have been GOAT Lex but instead he just fucked an old lady and had yet another real estate scheme with a kryptonite island.

Spacey as Lex is really the only upside to the film. He's consistently entertaining (even if he doesn't do much), but overall the film is a bit of a slog. I've seen it several times, and I wanted to like it, but in the end it's too much of a bore.

Still, maybe Spacey can come back as Earth-2 Lex or something.
>>
>we want the cuckold audience
>>
>>81249842

It was definitely a better film.
>>
MoS > Returns

Fucking stalker-man stalking Lois for half the movie with his X-ray vision and super hearing. Returns trying so hard to be a spiritual successor to Donner's Superman, they even casted a guy who actually looks like Reeves.

Typical real estate Lex. Cucks Cyclops. Autistic looking child actor. Doesn't punch a single thing in the movie, but he does get beaten half to death by no-name thugs.
>>
>>81256456

shame it won't be any time soon.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.