[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Characters you can't fucking stand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Sub-Mariner1968n1.jpg (82 KB, 400x605) Image search: [Google]
Sub-Mariner1968n1.jpg
82 KB, 400x605
Seriously, fuck this guy.
He must have moved magazines or something, because the first ten issues of every Silver Age Marvel comic at some point has the Stan say "fuck it, just use Namor for an issue." So we get to deal with the same fucking story every time of Speedo McEyebrows prancing up onto the land, being his arrogant asshole self kicking cars and calling himself king or whatever until the protagonist tells him to stop being a dick or a villain plays him like a damn fiddle into attacking the protagonist.
Then we have the same fight where he gets tired and steps on a puddle and gets untired, and usually the resolution is that he gets bored and fucks off back to the ocean until the next magazine premiers or he decides to try to cuck Reed again.

I know in saying this someone's gonna pull out some modern arc that makes him a great character, and I don't care. He's a shit in the 60's and the only redeeming quality to him is that sometimes Kirby draws some crazy fish when he's around.
>>
I'm trying to read silver age x-men

He showed up there too. Didn't make it suck any more though. Not possible.
>>
>>81248492
Funny, that's what I'm reading too.

I don't think it sucks, it's just not quite as good as the other Silver Age stuff.
>>
>>81247973
Namor becoming a movie mogul over in Fantastic Four is one of my favorite moments. Otherwise yes he got tiring and no one knew what to do with him until the 2000s.
>>
>>81248685
there is some extremely stupid shit in it

like the stranger, the entire "anthropologist makes army of mutant hunting robots" thing, and the romance subplot (whoa it's dumb).
>>
>>81247973
I love him being a prick, but yeah his silver age appearances are repetitive as fuck.
But hey he's the reason Cap comes back, because for reasons unknown he decides to throw a hissy-fit in the middle of eskimos worshipping a frozen Cap.
>>
>>81248814
Mind you, that was him doing something different for once. I wish they'd kept up the "I'm rich as fuck on the surface because I fucking wanted to be" thing, honestly.

>>81248923
There's stupid shit in all of them, but I still wouldn't say it's bad. If you want bad, check out Silver Age Iron Man.

And yeah, the romance thing is dumb, and basically the same thing shows up in a number of other things. Karen and Matt do the same damn thing in DD with some ironic blind pity and Foggy being jealous thrown in for good measure, and Pepper Potts basically does nothing but pine after Tony Stark.
>>
>>81247973
>He must have moved magazines or something,

He was popular back in the 1940's
>>
>>81249130
Sometimes the stupid campy crap makes it fun and endearing. But right now it's just annoying me. Maybe tomorrow.
>>
>>81249188
I find if I listen to jazz while reading, it lends something of a 60's Spider-Man vibe to it all.
>>
>>81249130
it makes you appreciate how the romance worked in Steve Ditko Spider-man. There's one surprisingly quiet moment where Betty and Peter open up to each other. Then it all goes down in flames.
>>
>>81248492
X-Men and Avegers are easily the weakest Lee/Kirby titles

However the Sentinel issue and Kang the Conqueror are both great
>>
File: Fantastic-Four-9-Again.jpg (449 KB, 650x467) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic-Four-9-Again.jpg
449 KB, 650x467
>>81247973
Fuck you buddy, Silver Age dicerky Namor is great
>>
>>81249363
Yeah, but my problem with Spider-Man is that you're more told he has social time with people than shown. Betty was handled well because she's part of the Bugle scene, but once Romita takes over you find that Peter never actually finishes a single social interaction. Even with Gwen, you maybe see him spend a night at her place once at the end of an issue, but otherwise it's all him diving out of every date or lunch or party with friends for some villain popping out somewhere. I was surprised at how unaffected I was by Gwen's death because by modern standards they just don't really come off as a couple.

I will say that Peter's reaction to her death is some of the best writing the character sees.
>>
>>81249477
>still smells fishy
goddamn it Ben
>>
namor was cool
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.