[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apologies in advance for the length of this post. I've always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: dc_comics_66651.jpg (134 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
dc_comics_66651.jpg
134 KB, 600x300
Apologies in advance for the length of this post. I've always been more familiar with Marvel than DC. I'm somewhat familiar with the DC universe and most of the characters through the shows in the DCAU & BATB. I've also read a lot of Batman stuff. However, I haven't read any of the stuff like COIE or Final Crisis because I'd like to have a better baseline understanding of the universe & characters that aren't Batman, (& to a lesser extent Superman). So I started a reading list. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations to add to my list.

TL;DR Add good stuff to my DC reading list.
>>
Hang on I'm typing the list up.
>>
The Spectre. John Ostrander (#1-60)
Geoff Johns' JSA
Martian Manhunter. John Ostrander (#1-36)
Justice League International. Keith Giffen (vol.1-4)
The Question. Dennis O'Neil (#1-36)
Action Comics. Geoff Johns (#844-870)
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Alan Moore
Gotham By Gaslight. Brian Augustyn
>>
>>81245149

Standing by.
>>
File: 1316298725455.png (90 KB, 200x264) Image search: [Google]
1316298725455.png
90 KB, 200x264
>>81245388

All of it's good shit.I'd also throw on

>Giffen/DeMatteis/Macguire Justice League/ JLU
>GIffen/Rogers' Blue Beetle
>52 (and Johns' Booster Gold run that spins out of it and Blue Beetle)
>Morrison's JLA
>Robinson's Starman and JSA: The Golden Age (which is an Elseworld, but is a fantastic look at classic DC characters who aren't the Trinity)
>>
CoIE is a phenomenal introduction to the universe as a whole. Shows you a lot of characters and gives you enough about them to know where you may choose to look further.

Final Crisis is not, that's a reward at the end of the road.

After reading CoIE, you should read all of Jack Kirby's Fourth World stuff (Jimmy Olsen, New Gods, Forever People, Mr. Miracle), Grant Morrison's Animal Man, Grant's JLA, James Robinson's Starman, Geoff Johns' JSA, Geoff's Green Lantern, Grant's Seven Soldiers, Grant's Bat-Epic (reading guides a Google search away), and then you'd probably be all fine and dandy for Final Crisis.

Yes, this is a Geoff & Grant heavy list. They're some of the big movers when it comes to the feel of the DCU as a whole for the past few decades. They are pretty good names to look for.
>>
That's all I have right now, but I'm open to anything that's good. Green Lantern, Flash, Captain Marvel, Nightwing, Orion, Suicide Squad, & Miracle Man are all characters I find interesting, but have only read a little bit or nothing. I'm not limited to just them though. I'm open to anything that's good.
>>
>>81245564
I'd also throw in

Wolfman/Pollard Vigilante
Grell's Green Arrow/Longbow Hunters
Grell's Warlord
Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter
>>
All-Star Superman
Power Girl: Power Trip
Batwoman: Elegy and the Batwoman Williams run
Morrison's Doom Patrol
Morrison's Action Comics
Johns' JSA

>>81245564
>>81245595
>>81245670
>>81245913
Good shit
>>
>>81245913
>Grell's Warlord

Do they even have trades or collected volumes of that?
>>
>>81245564
Thanks. I totally forgot about Booster, & I've heard nothing but good things about Starman, so I'll definitely check it out. Do you have any recommendations for the Flash?
>>81245595
I remember trying to read COIE like a year or 2 ago & being really lost. I have however learned quite a bit about DC since then so I'll check it out again.
>>
>>81246033
>Do you have any recommendations for the Flash?

Wally as the Flash has one of the longest stretches of great comics handled by multiple different writers. You can pick up damn near anything between when he becomes the Flash following Barry's death in COIE and when Rebirth happens and find something to enjoy.
>>
>>81245952
Also most Constantine is good stuff. Also:

>>81246033
I've heard good things about Flash: Born to Run by Waid.
>>
OP here. I forgot about Swamp Thing. Is the best stuff just from Moore? Also, any recommendations for Captain Marvel? Also any Miracle Man, or Orion post Kirby? I read a small Orion arc with Simonson on art awhile ago that had an entire issue that was nothing but Orion & Darkseid slugging it out. Is this rest of that run any good?
>>
>>81246497
Yeah Simonson's Orion is pretty good, it's mostly action if I remember right, but Simonson is fucking amazing at that.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.