[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the greatest animated movie of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: file.png (1 MB, 2516x1262) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 2516x1262
Thoughts on the greatest animated movie of all time?
>>
Neat
>>
Criterion Collection release when?
>>
The animation makes me orgasm, but the movie itself sucks dick.
>>
Awkward, melty animation that tries to emulate live action camera trickery without taking advantage of its own medium.

>muh ones
>muh smooth
>>
>>81236931
Pretty much this
>>
File: Yum Yum.png (442 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Yum Yum.png
442 KB, 720x540
>>81236931

Yum Yum makes me orgasm, but the movie itself is meh.
>>
I hear /co/ talk about this movie sometimes, what really happened to this movie? why is it controversial to /co/? Whats so interesting about this?
>>
>>81239208

It was in production decades before Aladdin but there was trouble with production, so they weren't able to release it until after Aladdin had come out, and by then, everyone thought it was a ripoff.
>>
>>81239208
Richard Williams was making it on the side using money he earned from commercial work. It was basically him and some of his animation idols helping him out intermittently for 20-something years.

He made the mistake of seeking outside investment to finish the project. This put him on the hook to investors who actually wanted an ROI in their fucking lifetime, so he was pressured to finish it faster. Eventually they took the whole thing away from him and paid some other studio to rush it to completion, butchered the story by cutting incomplete scenes and giving a mute character voiceover dialogue, and spat it out into theaters to try to recoup a bit of cash.

Obsessive fans later dug up as much of the film as they could get their hands on and recut it including unfinished pencil scenes, so it's a bit messy but a far better story than the theatrical version.
>>
>>81239416

Fuck Boyhood, this movie took 31 years to make and it wasn't even properly finished.
>>
>>81239516
>paid some other studio to rush it to completion
This happened twice amazingly enough. The first time had finished the animation as cheaply as they could and added shitty, trying to be Disney songs. The second time was when they cut it down even further and gave the Thief inner monologue.

There's like five different versions of this movie out there.
>>
I wonder how many people think this movie ripped off Aladdin when it was the other way around.
>>
>>81242998
Virtually everyone? You kinda have to know the story behind the production to think otherwise.
>>
>>81236196
It is a perseverance of animation progress and creative storytelling. Richard Williams is the thief who never give up.
>>
>>81239535
Well it did finished in other proudtions and some of the best scenes were cut. Until the recobbled cut was released in 2006 that was 10 years ago, and it marked as a special director's cut.
>>
If you want to make this real version of the thief and the cobbler finished with real lost scene to be animated and restore the workprint, then go on this site and help now for John Lasseter, Richard Williams and the Walt Disney Studios and completed this film so it can be done for 2017 or 2018, and make the original version of The Thief and the Cobbler into an animated masterpiece so that Richard Williams' dreams will come ture.

Link:
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-restore-and-complete-the-thief-and-the-cobbler
>>
I wonder if Richard Williams is old enough to work his film again.
>>
I actually like the Thief's monologues. Best part of the movie.
>>
>>81245227
Yep, good old Jonathan Winters
>>
This was Vincent Price's last film in 1993.
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1831x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1831x849
Someone should make a high quality DVD-R Legacy of The Thief and the Cobbler movies in widescreen, so that someone can sell it on ioffer.com or on ebay.com and we can buy it for $25.00 or $29.00 cent so we can see it at home.

>The 1992 workprint
>The Fred Calvert Workprint
>The Allied Filmmakers Release of The Princess and the Cobbler
>The Miramax Release of Arabian Knight
>The Miramax Laserdisc Widescreen Version of The Thief and the Cobbler in 1997
>The Recobbled Cut Mark 3 in 2008
>The Recobbled Cut Mark 4 in 2013
>>
>>81245140
He's far too old now, he'd die before finishing a single minute of new footage.
>>
>>81247014
Well, I wanted to see it in widescreen.
>>
>>81247273
Well, he can try of maybe with another directed to finished, like the director of the Peanuts movie and Ice Age 4.
>>
>>81247343
huh?
>>
>>81239516
>>81239900
Why is this making me sad, holy shit
>>
>>81247456
Yeah, it is so shame.
>>
>>81247378
You know the director Steve Martino, he directed the blue sky films, but he also put in some hand drawn animation scene in it. So he could well by finished the thief and the cobbler movie.
>>
So what's this Thief and the Cobbler story about?
>>
Amazing animation, but the plot is meh

Not to mention, the Brigands are horribly underdeveloped and don't even match the art style of the film

Is there a timeline of which scenes were completed when? Supposedly the war machine sequence was done in the 1970s.
>>
>>81239516
So suits ruin everything, as usual.
>>
>>81248526
>and don't even match the art style of the film
The entire film is a mishmash of many styles, likely because it was made across many decades and thus reflects many different design trends in animation over that long period.
>>
File: 2323.gif (894 KB, 496x222) Image search: [Google]
2323.gif
894 KB, 496x222
>>
It's the "greatest animated" movie of all time, not the greatest "animated movie" of all time.

>>81247273
Actually, he's doing a feature version of Lysistrata right now, all by himself, releasing each part as a short film as he finishes it. The first part, "Prologue", was nominated for the Best Animated Short Oscar last year.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/interview-richard-williams-talks-oscar-bafta-nominated-short-prologue-131008.html
>>
>>81249919
I think prologue was shocking film.
>>
File: 2016-03-30-00-28-02-2012983748.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-30-00-28-02-2012983748.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
Vincent Price was the voice Ratigan beyond ZigZag.
>>
File: cobbleramarayv3small.jpg (163 KB, 700x463) Image search: [Google]
cobbleramarayv3small.jpg
163 KB, 700x463
It would be nice if the recobbled cut be on dvd and be available on Amazon.com for $15.00.
>>
File: goldencitypanorama-sm.jpg (58 KB, 800x342) Image search: [Google]
goldencitypanorama-sm.jpg
58 KB, 800x342
For that golden city, that's a big city.
>>
File: persistence_002.jpg (355 KB, 1280x931) Image search: [Google]
persistence_002.jpg
355 KB, 1280x931
>>81247014
So who going to make these dvds?
>>
For the thief movie it uselly inspire Richard's life.
>>
That ain't American Pop
>>
>>81251002
No but that's The Thief and the cobbler. Do you remebmer?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.