[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never forget that Garth "Cuntybollocks" Ennis, understands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 35
Never forget that Garth "Cuntybollocks" Ennis, understands Superman better than Zach Snyder.
>>
Who's Zach Snyder? Is he Zack Snyder's brother? Were their parents having a laugh when they named them?
>>
>>81231820

What's with the one panel where he has an old school looking S-shield?
>>
>>81231847
Autism and/or Snyder detected
>>
>>81231865
This is Six-Pack's dream. That, and the artist probably cut some corners, because deadlines are a thing.
>>
>>81231865
What's wrong with it?
Anon, that's the best part!
>>
>>81232037
>making excuses for being lazy
Pham...
>>
>>81231820
You mean the same guy who said Superman thinks Nuking the Japanese was a good idea?
>>
>>81231820
Ennis doesn't get his own pennis
let alone supes. it's a cringe read
>>
>>81232643
>implying it's not in character
>>
>>81232643
Between that and Eiffel Towering japan with the soviets, it kind of was.
>>
>>81232873
>being that casual
/co/ is pure cancer.
fuck this shit, I'm going back to /x/, they might suck, but at least they don't bait this hard
>>
>>81232643
>Nuking the Japanese was a good idea?

You are right, it was THE BEST IDEA
>>
>>81232237
Eh, I love Hitman more than Preacher so I'll give McCrea some slack over one panel.
>>
>>81232944
/co/ is better off without you. Anyone who claims Ennis doesn't get Superman's character has clearly not read his Superman.
>>
>>81233240
McCrea didn't draw that panel though, I think it was Nelson.
>>
>>81232944
If your automatic response is to go to /x/, honestly it's not a major loss
>>
File: JLAHitman1.jpg (115 KB, 600x896) Image search: [Google]
JLAHitman1.jpg
115 KB, 600x896
>>81232643
He said it was a decision that takes moral courage to deliberate on, but that it's neither Clark Kent nor Superman's role to comment. (Which I believe to be a fair point, as Superman says here, characters like he and Batman operate on different rulesets in their stories that can evade most hypothetical moral quandaries, but it's fine if you disagree there)

It's not the most original, poignant, insightful or incisive piece of dialogue you're likely to read, but it's sure different from how you propose it was written.

I don't know if you have poor reading comprehension, poor memory or the active desire to mislead, but there you go.
>>
>>81233240
Seems reasonable, since everything I've seen of Hitman is good, while Preacher is just terrible across the board.
>>
To Hell with Supes, more Section Ei8ht.
>>
>>81233367
>Superman thinking a decision to kill people takes courage
See, that's why it's stupid. Superman doesn't think it's brave to kill innocent people. Superman thinks killing is never justifiable and never rights. There is ALWAYS another way. Superman would never call a killer brave. Ennis is a hack.
>>
>>81233367
edgey
>>
>>81233585
>>81233770

>Superman acknowledging human weakness and frailty makes Ennis an edgy hack
>>
>>81233585
people were going to die either way in warfare, ending that war and bloodshed in a single action is better than a dragging out a war that would cost millions in both lives and costs.
>>
>>81233272
Turns out it was Nelson Decastro; My bad.
>>81233485
I've read a few Preacher trades, and I thought it was okay, but I've read two issues of Hitman and I loved every page. I've no idea why Preacher gets all the love...
>>
>>81233585

Superman has killed when he has no choice though. He just prefers not to. He isn't like Batman. Who has also killed but there is more of him bit killing. And no he didn't kill KGBeast that was retconned super fast and he told the cops his location after scaring him a bit.
>>
>>81233852
>>81233485
Preacher isn't terrible, but it's immensely over-rated. The best issues were the stand-alones that didn't really affect the overall plot. Jesse picking up hitchhikers, and Cassidy's life story (both the fantasized and terrible reality versions).
>>
>>81233852
I think Preacher is just the more prominent work. Assuming you're reading Preacher in order, it will only go downhill. It very quickly just starts spinning its wheels while Ennis tries to one-up himself with edgy non-sense.
>>
>>81233831
>Superman calling killers brave for killing other people (especially women and children)
>>
>>81233944
In a war he was present for, when no other options were present to the participants. You are actively ignoring the main point.
>>
File: 1325622837641.jpg (516 KB, 424x550) Image search: [Google]
1325622837641.jpg
516 KB, 424x550
>>81233944
Except that's not what he's doing there at all, and not even anywhere close.
>>
>>81233992
*wasn't
>>
>>81233847
>implying the Japanese wouldn't of ceasefired
>implying Amercians are blood-thirsty savages who love killing woman and children
I bet Superman thinks it takes Courge for American Troops to put bullets in the brains of Muslim children, rape their women, and blow up their homes.
>>
>>81231865
is sort of an in joke
in the previous issues six pack met the other 2 members of the trinity
I don't remember if they did it in the wonderwoman issue, but in the batman issue it was just the artist tracing iconic batman poses into the comics and trying to make them make sense

Its hilarious
>>
File: wistfulBatman.jpg (57 KB, 591x510) Image search: [Google]
wistfulBatman.jpg
57 KB, 591x510
>>81234038
>>
>>81234038

>being this butt hurt over 2 bombs

The firebombing was worse go away and stay go
>>
>>81234075
Wait, that's why he was doubled over in that ridiculous pose after getting a parking ticket?
>>
>>81233992
I get the point. Superman thinks its courageous to kill thousands of women and children because AMERICA YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH.
>>
>>81234098
>>81234132
Hi /pol/!
>>
>>81234133
yup
thats when i realized what was happening. The other big one is the death in the family pose he does where he says hes not a racist
>>
>>81231820
Which of Superman's many powers kept molten glass from searing Six Pack's hand?
>>
>>81234208
I suddenly appreciate that issue so much more.
>>
>>81234038
Both of those things you wrote are true though, am I being baited?
>>
>>81234178

/pol/ has nothing to do with it.

Maybe you should go there instead? And stay go?
>>
>>81234132
And more Muslims died from the Iraq war than 9/11.
But hey, it's okay. Superman says they're brave because it takes courage to mindlessly kill people lulz!
>>
>>81234075
That was All Star Section 8. The pic in the OP was from a Superman 80-pager that was 10-15 years prior.
>>
>>81234242
Of course you're being baited. The guy isn't making any sense.
>>
>>81234038
>Implying Muslims don't deserve it
They're literal savages. I've never met a good Muslim.
>>
>>81231820
>Superman talks to Hitman
>is too dumb to recognize a criminal
Superior, indeed.
>>
>>81234255
You're the one who thinks bombing Japan was a big deal, edgelord. Maybe you do belong at /pol/, /pol/ hmmm
>>
>>81233545
>more Section Ei8ht
Why? All-Star section 8 is one of Ennis' worst.
>>
File: hm034 10.jpg (307 KB, 816x1177) Image search: [Google]
hm034 10.jpg
307 KB, 816x1177
>>81234310
Give him a break, he was having a bad day.
>>
File: P00138.jpg (12 KB, 262x216) Image search: [Google]
P00138.jpg
12 KB, 262x216
>OP triesto shit on BvS again
>thread backfires
>>
>>81234308
Yep, it's official. /co/ has become /pol/.

I bet this anon hates the New Ms Marvel too (despite being the best comic of the decade. Better than anything Ennis has written)
>>
>>81234264

>iraq = 9/11

wow, defintly keep the childhood arguments in /pol/

>>81234324

how is nuking japan edgy? They literally asked for it.
>>
File: JSoA30.jpg (53 KB, 328x645) Image search: [Google]
JSoA30.jpg
53 KB, 328x645
>>81234359
So what? Did he think "fuck it, I'm going to bed! Let the cops deal with this guy!"?

>>81234401
>the New Ms Marvel too (despite being the best comic of the decade. Better than anything Ennis has written)
>>
>>81234324
*not a
>>
>>81234401
You're awful at b8, m8. You need to be more subtle about it.
>>
>>81234445
>how is nuking japan edgy? They literally asked for it.
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!
>>
>>81234447
Wait, in all seriousness, what are you talking about? Superman doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of every single petty criminal in the world. He wouldn't recognize Tommy from anywhere. And it was Gotham, there were probably 100 gunshots fired in the few minutes they were speaking. Why pick out the one that Tommy fired afterwards?
>>
>>81234496

>~200k vs invading mainland japan

It was obviously the most life saving course of action.
>>
>>81234445
No one asks to die, anon.
Only people who want others to die. Like how America wanted Japan and Iraq to die.
>>
File: yep.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
yep.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>81234568
Please, keep going.
>>
>>81234540
Or not invaded Japan. Espically since Japan was close to surrendering. But America bloodthirsty and wanted everyone to fear them (like Always). They don't care how many women and children they kill.
>>
>>81234537
>Superman doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of every single petty criminal in the world
Super-memory, anon. Also, super-hearing, X-ray vision...
>>
>>81234568

>wants japan to die

Japan became an economic powerhouse for generations after the war. They aren't dead yet. Please go to /pol/ and keep yourself there.

>>81234655
>Japan was close to surrendering

Sure it was. That is why okinawa and Iwo Jima had so many prisoners of war. They totally didn't fight to the last man and then jump off a cliff with their kids.
>>
>>81234496
>>81234540
I wonder what Ennis thinks about the matter? Besides calling you eejits, of course.
>>
>>81234136
You're deliberately missing the point to either troll or because you're an idiot.

Japan was not going to surrender. They made it very clear that they would fight until every last man was dead, making the Allies' victory a very Phyrric one, which they had been doing with every single island and therritory they held in the Pacific at great cost to Allied troops and equipment. The decision to drop the bombs was to MINIMIZE the loss of life. And it worked. But the decision to use such terrible weapons on civilian cities was still something that was never taken lightly. It was literally the lesser of two evils that still required the courage and determination to go through with.

So, you see, looking at something through the eyes and context of when it happened and why is extremely important, otherwise you only end up looking like a fucking retard spewing shit overthings you know nothing about.
>>
>>81234668
>Super-memory
What does that have to do with anything? He's never seen Tommy before.

>super-hearing
I already explained the gunshot. It's a bullshit handwave, but so what? It's an explanation.

>X-ray vision
His rifle was in a box on the other side of the roof. It wasn't strapped underneath his coat.
>>
>>81234735

Why would I care about what Ennis thinks?

Is he of any worth as a historian, political historian or any sort of expert?

Oh he is just a guy with a megaphone blaring his opinions?
>>
>>81234754
>He's never seen Tommy before.
He could have; he usually drops by Gotham, doesn't he? Or maybe he took a look at Batman's criminal database, for the day it might be useful.
>It's a bullshit handwave, but so what? It's an explanation.
Oh, please.
>His rifle was in a box on the other side of the roof
Was it a lead box?
>>
>>81234827
I'm sure he has read more history and war books than you, edgy kid. Besides, we're discussing Ennis books, aren't we?
>>
>>81234828
>Was it a lead box?
Hell, probably. Sounds like something Tommy would have. Especially since he himself had x-ray vision.
>>
>>81234856

You seem to be only discussing how Japan has never done anything wrong and invading the mainland was a way better idea than what Truman finally decided.
>>
>>81234875
Did Tommy expect Supes to appear? I don't think so.

>>81234891
Not that anon. I know better than discussing history with amerifats.
>>
>>81234711
>>81234735
>>81234750
>J-J-J-Japan was literally more evil than Satan, guys!
>They were totally never going to give up!
>We had to kill thousands of people (women and children)
>just like we had to later kill thousands of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Muslims!
>we good guys
/pol/, pls stop
>>
>>81234926
>I know better than discussing history with amerifats.

>I know better

Sure you do.

>>81234932

Name a better way to stop the war then. You are the only one acting like a /pol/tard
>>
File: low quality.jpg (16 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
low quality.jpg
16 KB, 600x600
>>81234932
>>
>>81234926
No, but he himself has X-Ray vision and he operates in Gotham. Anything to help hide his hardware. Superman isn't the only guy on the planet with X-Ray vision. Not to mention any kind of scanners that could exist in general in the city.
>>
>>81234932
I'll take the Rape of Nanking for $100.
>>
>>81234991
OK, but my point still stands. Superman would surely spot a criminal at a glance; he'd be able to read body language like a cop would do.
>>
>>81231820
the Superman portions were pretty much the only part of the Section 8 mini-series that didn't suck
>>
>>81235041
Fine. But I stand by my original point - Superman was having a bad day and had a lot on his mind. He went to that roof just to be alone with his thoughts, he wasn't trying to find anyone, criminal or no.
>>
>>81234932
>J-J-J-Japan was literally more evil than Satan, guys!
When did I say that? I'm stating facts, you're being emotional.

>They were totally never going to give up!
They weren't. They said this themselves. Also, at that time, dying in battle for the Emperor was the greatest honor. Remember the Kamikaze planes?

>We had to kill thousands of people (women and children)
To prevent hundreds of millions of men, woman, and children from dying.

>just like we had to later kill thousands of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Muslims!
I won't excuse Cold War and War on Terror stuff, but those were nothing like World War II. False equivalence is not an intelligent debate method.

>we good guys
Sometimes to do some good you have to be the bad guy.
>>
>>81234308
Go away, Trump
>>
>>81235155
>Also, at that time, dying in battle for the Emperor was the greatest honor. Remember the Kamikaze planes?
Christ, just look up some schoolkid training footage. They were arming every grade schooler with spears and teaching them how to use them specifically for invasion. Not necessarily because it would help directly, but you throw up a shield of children and nobody would have good morale. They were literally preparing to sacrifice children for a psychological benefit.
>>
>>81235155
Nope, Japan was already looking for a way out of the war and would of Surrendered. The bombs were overkill and just the U.S. looking for blood and to conquer Japan. They even wanted to drop more bombs just to the Lulz and show the world their power.
>>
>>81235484
>and would of Surrendered

man if you are going to shill this hard for the nippon empire get an editor.
>>
>>81235484
More so the bombs were about "the next war"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macaR0ZsxO0
>>
>>81235484
Only the emperor wanted to. The entire rest of Japan wanted to keep fighting. It took two bombs of terrifying new power that only took thousands of lives to change their minds. Without them we would have had to land troops on Japan and storm our way through woman and children armed with spears and trained to meet the invasion force along with what was left of the military as well as men ready to give their lives for the Emperor. That would have been far more brutal, bloody, and worse than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If you're going to rant about history, at least know about the history you're screaming about, and try to not be so biased.
>>
>>81235031
Yes, great argument, they killed civilians so that makes it okay for us to.
>>
>>81235721

They didn't just kill them.
>>
>>81235484
>Japan was already looking for a way out of the war
Blatant fucking lie. The Potsdam Declaration demanding surrender was issued on July 26th. It was entirely rejected. The bombs were dropped two weeks later. They made some minor overtures to the USSR for a negotiated peace, but that was with the intention of retaining their conquest holdings. You're talking out of your fucking ass. At least read the god damned wikipedia articles, jesus christ.
>>
>>81235721
They did it for shits and giggles. We did it to stop further fighting. Context is always important.

Also, "Rape" of Nanking. There was far more going on there than just killing.
>>
>>81235692
Actually, the US could of used their air planes and blockade to force Japan to surrender. And it would of worked. Even Eisenhower and LeMay said it was unnecessary

But not killing thousands of women and children wouldn't of made the US look like Kings.
>>
>>81235802
>We did it to stop further fighting.
There were other ways. Even setting aside invasion we could have bombed military installations and things like that.
>>
>>81235910
So instead of bitching about bombs, we'd be sitting here bitching about how cruel and inhuman it was to keep the war going on for another five years with blockades that resulted in the starvation deaths of millions of civilians. Yeah, that would be so much fucking better.

You do understand how a fucking siege works and what that fucking means, don't you?
>>
>>81235936
>we could have bombed military installations
We did. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were prime manufacturing centers, which made them military targets. That was universal for every single side in the war. Manufacturing was a viable military target. That's why we hit Nagasaki and Hiroshima instead of Kyoto, which was the initial target. Ultimately, nobody wanted to destroy a city that wasn't a military target and was a center of spirituality.
>>
>>81235936

Do you think the allies had that time? After germany brutally killed 10 million innocent jewish people, they didn't want to waste any more life.
>>
>>81235936
Would they have worked as quickly, though. Would they have limited the loss of life? Would they have prevented the Japanese from still trying to attack/fight the Allies? Hindsight is 20/20, but at the time they were facing a very tough decision and they went with what would end the war as quickly and cleanly as possible. It had nothing to do with modern America's "FUCK YEAH MURRICA!!!" nonsense.
>>
>>81233367
Would Superman say that the US putting Japanese into Camps was also a courageous decision? What am I saying? >>81232873 of course he would!
>>
>>81235910
>Actually, the US could of used their air planes and blockade to force Japan to surrender

We had been doing that since the 30s. Why do you think they went into Manchuria?

>>81235936
Name them.
>>
>>81236101
No. But for the record, the US has never really tried to deny how shitty that was and officially owned up to it very early on. Doesn't make it better, but it's not like we're pulling a Turkey (Armenian Genocide) over our own stuff.
>>
>>81236051
So killing millions of Jewish women and children is bad but killing millions of Japanese Women and Child is awesome and brave? Gotcha
>>
>>81236174
It was expedient and the thousands, not millions, killed helped save the lives of millions more.

Life is sometimes just a set of really shitty options and all you can do is pick one and hope that it turns out to be the least shitty of them all.
>>
File: poil.png (35 KB, 176x194) Image search: [Google]
poil.png
35 KB, 176x194
>>81236174

No, killing millions of japanese people would've been wrong. It's a good thing we avoided that though.
>>
>>81232643
It kinda was.

Japan had brainwashed its citizens to fight to the death.
Civilians in settlements the US were approaching in the Pacific committed mass suicide thinking they'd get Nanking'd.

Fuck, they were showing bits of cowboy movies with Indians being shot to tell ten year old children America was trying to destroy all black-haired peoples, then showed them how to make spears and promise to fight to the end.

It was estimated two thirds of Japan would be dead by the end of the war, not to mention American lives lost and the fact the US wanted to end it quickly before the Soviets could invade and claim it.

Sadly, the nukes really were the only viable option.
>>
>>81236174
>killing millions of Japanese Women and Child

Which is what would have happened if we tried to storm Japan. Only 226,000 people died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. War is hell, friend, and sometimes you have to make very hard decisions.
>>
>>81236239
Or sometimes the best way to beat a game is to not play it. Like Spec Ops The Line.
*Mic Drop*
>>
>>81231820
never forget bvs is doing fine and nobody but aspergian critics cares lol.
>>
>>81236174
>killing millions of Japanese Women and Child

>women and Child

You have diarrhea and you are just shitposting from the toilet aren't you?
>>
File: 082.gif (1 MB, 680x376) Image search: [Google]
082.gif
1 MB, 680x376
Never thought I'd have cause to use this on /co/.

I wanted a superman thread, not history debates with a fucking moron.

The dominant military paradigm was that strategic bombing--destroying cities with bombers regardless of civilians--was an acceptable practice. The Nazis started it, but all sides participated. Nowadays we regard it as a cruel fact of the times.People who freak this hard about the nukes, and only the nukes, are historically myopic.

And, frankly, the United States and Japan were at war. It wasn't America's fucking responsibility to coax the Japanese into a gentle, negotiated surrender that would see them anything other than unconditionally surrender. They had started the war; it was entirely within US interests to crush them outright.
>>
https://youtu.be/Mh5LY4Mz15o

https://youtu.be/ZnZEoOJ-cxE

http://youtu.be/Nosq94oCl_M

Apparently this is thread relevant.
>>
>>81236416
The US started the war with Japan by baiting them into Pearl Harbor and forcing them to sink their ships (not Hospitals like Michael Bay said). The US sacrificed their own people just to start a war. And then the US bombed thousands of Japanese civilians and hospitals later for lulz.
>>
>>81236449
Bonus video. Ignore the opening, the guy knows his shit and there's a good history lesson here.

https://youtu.be/-buQSp6wOMc
>>
File: watSuperman.jpg (86 KB, 589x637) Image search: [Google]
watSuperman.jpg
86 KB, 589x637
>>81236544
>>
File: download (2).jpg (11 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
11 KB, 223x226
>>81236544
>The US started the war with Japan by baiting them into Pearl Harbor and forcing them to sink their ships
solid fucking gold anono
>>
File: 1458941150467.jpg (88 KB, 333x496) Image search: [Google]
1458941150467.jpg
88 KB, 333x496
>>81236544
>>
>>81236416
>/pol/ spotted
>>
>>81236544
Except that's wrong, Japan had been a signer at the League of Nations the immediately broke all obligations while still trying to hide behind the same tewaties they were breaking.

Much like the Nazis, Japan had the goal of taking over the entire region. Hitler envisioned all of Europe, Hideki Toko desired all of the Pacific and non-Russian Asia.

In both cases, attacking the neighbor and ally of another superpower pissed thfm off but while France plunged straight into attacking Germany, the US was restrained as any war would be highly unpopular.

Japan knew it was only a matter of time until the US became involved and decided to strike first. They thought the US fleet would be entirely destroyed, allowing Japan to take everything in half the world unchallenged but part of the fleet was not present, and the US was the fastest producer of efficient products at the time (the British LOVED how American tanks were easy to fix, came waterproofed with all the parts they needed straight off thd boat compared to their own which they often got rusted and half dismantled for example).

By contrast, Japan had the same problem as Germany. They began with a huge warmachine, but lacked the production and maintenance ability to keep it up combined with terrible investments in technology and strategy like ignoring radar for giant superstructures on every ship to use binoculars from. Also by deciding medics and field hospitals are for faggots.
>>
>>81233585
Fuuuuuck you for making me defend Garth Ennis.

Superman is pointing out there that there is a form of moral courage that is rarely, if ever required of Superman- the courage to make a judgement on an impossible decision. Even the tough quandaries- "Do I let Batman die to stop the tides of Apokolips" are relatively straightforward.

Superman himself doesn't ever really need to make those decisions. He has the power to do the right thing- to make the right thing possible, when it wouldn't be for anyone else.

Superman is an ideal. He holds the ideal, he makes the ideal possible.

In this, he recognizes that humans have a harder choice to make. And that if, as he is implicitly assuming here about Truman- the man is weighing those things, he understands that there is no right answer. He must make a moral decision that could never really be forced on Superman.
Superman never has to decide with imperfect information whose shores will be drenched with what blood.

Superman would never kill, himself (When written competently), and he definitely opposes death. But he isn't some moral crusader for total pacifism- he hasn't zipped around disarming soldiers everywhere, and he has been an ally of the military. He's not confused about what guns are for. And he knows that a decision like Truman's does take courage.

I think it's dumb as fuck that Ennis had superman pat his fucking shitty Punisher-alike self insert on the back- but what Superman says is overall on message.
>>
>>81236939
What's funny is that General Yamamoto was completely against attacking the US because he knew we'd likely never get involved if let alone and if we did get involved it would be a very bad thing. The rest of the Japanese military wanted to do it and he finally relented, though he still knew it was a bad idea.

>"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant."
>>
>>81231820
never forget that Six Pack is a sanitized version of the Brown Bottle, who Ennis ripped off because he couldn't come up with a joke character on his own
>>
>>81236544
This actually true.

Japan weren't the good guys by any means. They did a lot of horrendous things to the Chinese and Korean people, but they were baited by America to attack pearl harbor so they can have an excuse to enter the war. And the live of innocents were the ultimate price.
>>
>>81236683
You're an apologist for a literal axis power. A genocidal, warmongering facist regime.

No, YOU'RE pol.
>>
>>81236544
>>81237303
Please, explain how we "baited" Japan to attack Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>81237303
Yes, the Americans somehow baited the Japanese into a total surprise attack on their most heavily armed pacific base to kill thousands of soldiers and sink their whole fucking surface fleet.

Are you gonna claim that "embargo is grounds for war", too?
>>
>>81237399

I'm almost positive it has something to do with the jews.
>>
>>81234075
This image is no 10x funnier thank you, I need to read that comic
>>
>>81237421
The US knew Japan was going to attack and did not warn anyone. They wanted an excuse to go Into the War
>>
>>81237570
Just likehow America blew up their own ship so they could start the Spanish-American War.
>>
>>81237399
the president sent a message insulting and daring Japan to attack Pearl Harbor and told no one of the attack. They sacrificed American lives just to start a pointless war.
>>
>>81237570
I find it funny how people bring up the radio intercepts pre-Pearl, but always forget that they may have had translation issues, and might not have had time to get word out to the Pacific fleet.

That, and allowing =/= baiting.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 474x786) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 474x786
>>81237232
Kind of like Erwin "Fuck Off Hitler, Jews Are Awesome Now Let Me Get Back To Winning Your Stupid War" Rommel.
>>
>>81237570

sure they did, and the US controls the world media and all the banks right?
>>
File: 0602.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
0602.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>81237645
>the President stated "I'm rubber, you're glue, everything you bomb bounces back to you"
>>
>>81237645
So what you're saying is any country on Earth can invade North Korea right now, because rhetoric is a decleration of war.
>>
>/co/ talks to some weeb who thinks japan dindu noffin wrong for the last 2 hours
you could've just ignored it.
>>
>>81238470
>using 'dindu' seriously
Wow, thanks for telling me and everyone that you're a racist, anon!
>>
>>81237952
Not him, but technically anyone could invade North Korea right now, because they are still in an active state of declared war.
>>
Y'all motherfuckers are talking about these stories like the only thing you've read of them is out of context panels on tumblr
>>
>>81236365

Never forget that Micheal Bay's transformers made a ton of money despite bad critic reviews, so clearly Bay's versions are the definitive versions that most accurately capture the essence of the Transformers.
>>
>>81236544

I laughed in real life. Thanks /co/!
>>
>>81235936
THe US had been doing that for months. They had also been firebombing population centres. till wasn't enough. Japan's military production was non-existent by the time the bombs were dropped, and they were still fighting with bayonets.
>>
>>81233367

This is ridiculous, Japan was on the brink of giving up, how the fuck was that atrocious genocide of innocents even slightly justificable.

God, I wish I hadn't seen this.
>>
>>81238470

He obviously has some sort of bowel related disease and is shitposting from the toliet as his insides fight a war with the world outside.

This is more so an act of charity for him.
>>
>>81239960
>Japan was on the brink of giving up
Not according to Japan at the time. Again, they rejected calls for surrender TWO WEEKS before the bombs were dropped.
>>
>>81239960
Why do you only care about the people who died in the atomic bomb attacks and not the tenfold greater casualties who died in the regular firebombing campaigns? Why are you unable to comprehend that millions more innocent women and children would have killed themselves rather than surrender to the invading US troops?
>>
>>81240165
The guy is an idiot with no ability to think of things in context. And I highly doubt he's even fucking aware of what you're talking about. He probably imagines WWII in the same sense as the Napoleonic wars - armies meeting on a field and exchanging fire.
>>
>>81240064
We only dropped the second because the response back after the first was basically "Bullshit, you don't have two, come at me bro."
>>
>>81241389
Yeah, that too.

And good thing they didn't call our bluff on three.
>>
>>81236321
That was a shitty game with a plot to cover it's ass.
>>
>>81242388
Eh, it was a forgettable mediocre game that no one would have cared about a week after release if it wasn't for so many people having never read Heart of Darkness or having watched Apocalypse Now.
>>
>>81242388
>>81242455
That game was literally one of the greatest games ever made. Right next to Gone Home, Firewatch, Bioshock Infinite, and Thomas was alone.
>>
File: shame_joker.jpg (22 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
shame_joker.jpg
22 KB, 576x432
>>81244112
Come on man.
Infinite wasn't THAT bad. The fuck did you even expect after Bioshock?
>>
File: 1436781832154.jpg (48 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1436781832154.jpg
48 KB, 330x319
>starts as a /co/ thread
>it's a /tv/ thread in disguise
>turns into a /pol/ thread
>now it's a /v/ thread
WEW
>>
>>81244286
It amuses me that /tg/ used to actually be notable for topic drift, but now every board's like that.
>>
File: 1289885965444.jpg (237 KB, 1666x1360) Image search: [Google]
1289885965444.jpg
237 KB, 1666x1360
>>81244329
Well, /tg/ was always on a whole different level. Meaning that all detours were discussed with complete seriousness and dedication. There was a time when the concept of derailing a thread didn't exist.
>>
File: 1344791060363.jpg (491 KB, 1280x2012) Image search: [Google]
1344791060363.jpg
491 KB, 1280x2012
>>81231820

DCCU Supes is younger and flawed.

It makes sense that Clark would stumble & make mistakes before becoming the Superman we all know and love. Despite being an alien, Supes is arguably the most human hero of all.
>>
>>81236307
Didn't they even get kids to strap mines to themselves and jump under tanks?

The Japanese Empire was all kind of fucked up, the bombs were needed imo.
>>
>>81244938
>DCCU Supes is younger and flawed.
His age has nothing to do with it. There have bene young Superman stories where he's still not potrayed as in the DCCU.

It's just Snyder's version. Stop trying to excuse it or explain it. Stop trying to say it's just a phase. Snyder wants this polarizing, detached, alienated Super-god that people can be justified in hating. This is what you're getting. It's all you're ever going to get.
>>
>>81237952
Anyone COULD and I guarantee even China wouldn't give a fuck at this point.

Thing is, nobody wants to take responsibility for the aftermath.
>>
>>81245111
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_Cliff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Cliff
Wouldn't surprise me. The Japanese Empire was all about Death or Glory. That's the fucked up thing about this entire discussion. The bombs really were a fucking mercy.
>>
>>81245219
Yea, I was reading a manga for a visual media course which essentially presents the argument that the bombs were the only thing which could shock the collective Japanese psyche away from their attitudes (arrogance, imperialism, rampant casual cruelty, hyper-fetishization of honour, "othering" of anyone not willing to die for the emperor, etc.).

Barefoot Gen, for anyone interested
>>
>>81245357
>Barefoot Gen
To do you one better, here's the digital version -
https://archive.org/details/manga_BarefootGen-v01
>>
>>81237645
Sure is a lot of total fabrications you're saying.

Also?

>ww2

>pointless war
>>
>>81245357
Fucking classic, that is.
>>
>>81231820
understanding =\= paying respect to
Snyder understands him just fine, he's just a colossal cynic who refuses to play it straight.
You have to understand Superman in order to consistently zig at every spot Superman would zag.
>>
File: 1401669814237.jpg (45 KB, 326x320) Image search: [Google]
1401669814237.jpg
45 KB, 326x320
>>81236544

Go to bed Japan
>>
>>81239960

Anon, do you know what a war is? Do you think the USA dropped nukes on Japan just because they felt like being assholes that day?
>>
>>81239960

The Japanese were never going to surrender peacefully. They were prepared to fight to the last man in a ground war.

Also, it was to end the war quickly and stop the Soviet's spread.
>>
>>81237282
What is the Brown Bottle from? Is it any good?
>>
>>81246115
the flag's turned white over the years so I guess that makes the moon French territory then
>>
File: 1452887242220.gif (16 KB, 254x252) Image search: [Google]
1452887242220.gif
16 KB, 254x252
>>81233944
the Japanese would have literally tortured everyone in america to death had the pacific gone better
>>
>>81245984
It was a pointless war for America because they only cared about killing and conquering people
>>
>>81246308
>Two Wrongs Make a Right!
>>
File: watAmericaBall.png (9 KB, 543x311) Image search: [Google]
watAmericaBall.png
9 KB, 543x311
>>81247236
Yep. That's the only fucking thing America has ever cared about, and it's the only fucking thing that America has ever worked for. We fucking LOVE us some torture and abuse. If we can't fucking torture people, then why the fuck do anything!?
>>
>>81247236

Sure buddy.

The Nazis and the Japs started the war, out of greed. They were, objectively, the bad guys. I wish we'd jumped in to stop them earlier, but at least now I can say they fuckin' swung first. Fuck them.
>>
>>81247270
It's more like "what goes around, comes around".
>>
>>81246118
>Do you think the USA dropped nukes on Japan just because they felt like being assholes that day?
Yes. The Japanese would of surrendered without bombing them. But the US wanted to show off their Death Weapon to the whole world. Said Death Weapon would lead to the Cold War and would almost kill the human race.
>>
>>81247388
Okay, out of curiosity, what historians do you have to support this view?

Also, where are you from
>>
>>81247388
>The Japanese would of surrendered without bombing them
You keep fucking saying that, and you haven't once linked anything as proof. More to the point, you keep avoiding all of the evidence that everyone else posts to the contrary.
>>
I think a realistic superman movie could've worked, like if they made Clark an idealist kid with powers and he saves people but eventually fucks up and has to live with the fact that he can't save everyone. Or is that to much like Spiderman?
>>
File: Brown Bottle.jpg (2 MB, 1243x1741) Image search: [Google]
Brown Bottle.jpg
2 MB, 1243x1741
>>81246227
Not that anon, but I found this shit and want more
>>
>>81247388
>Yes.
You know nothing about history do you? Except, maybe, that it happened.
>>
>>81247295
Why else do you think they went into WW2 by letting Pearl Harbor be attacked? You think they actually care about Europe? You think they care about the Jews being killed that everyone in the US knew about? They only wanted into the war because they saw it as a oppotunity to gain more power and control.
>>
File: wistfulClark.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wistfulClark.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
>>81247805
>>
>>81245195
You really do sound like "Not muh Superman"
>>
File: 1443578879057.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443578879057.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>81247805
Good god you're stupid
>>
>>81247805
> letting Pearl Harbor be attacked

Again, your basic premise is full of shit.

Ignoring your vast oversimplification of the human emotion and reasoning behind international politics, the basic fact is that Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack, masterfully executed.

I bet you think Bush did 9/11, huh?
>>
>>81248116
Bush did do 9/11. They needed an excuse to invade Iraq for their oil. The whole US government is in on it. Even Obama.
>>
>>81248116
>masterfully executed
I wouldn't say that... it was more like a series of unfortunate events no one saw coming on both sides
We got STUPID Lucky when the Japanese didn't try to hunt down the Carriers afterwards.
>>
>>81247371
>what goes around, comes around
Unless you're the US in which you can keep invading countries and no one with stop you...
>>
>>81247805
Just so you're aware, Aircraft Carriers were untested and unproven in the early 40's. Noboby expected them to be worth a damn. If America really plotted Pearl Harbor, why the fuck would we let all of our tried and true Battleships be destroyed and let all of our untested, unproven, and likely worthless aircraft carriers survive? That alone makes this conspiracy theory fully of shit.
>>
Maybe has something to do with Ennis being a good writer when he's not soapboxing on religion, IRA or capes who are not Superman.

Snyder is just a failure of a director in every way.
>inb4 visuals
Shitty filters and annoying slo-mo is not good visuals.
>>
>>81248314
>why the fuck would we let all of our tried and true Battleships be destroyed and let all of our untested, unproven, and likely worthless aircraft carriers survive?
To make Japan look like a bigger threat.
>"They destroyed our most powerful weapons! We need to band together and kill them all!"
>>
>>81235692
>It took two bombs of terrifying new power that only took thousands of lives
Point of order: it was 129,000-246,000+, not "thousands."
>>
>>81248251
I mean, considering it was like the first-ever full scale carrier raid of its kind, I think they did pretty good. And they mostly still subsribed to Mahanian doctrine, meaning that--despite the feat they had just accomplished--the Navy Headquarters were convinced that surface battleships were the key, and carriers extraneous.
>>
File: pa58IDl.png (255 KB, 432x426) Image search: [Google]
pa58IDl.png
255 KB, 432x426
>>81248295
CAN'T STOP

WON'T STOP
>>
>>81244938
You remind me off Arrow fans that thought Ollie from the show would eventually become Ollie from the comics. Keep waiting.
>>
>>81248411
Are you a jap by chance? or a extremely in denial weeaboo?
>>
>>81231820
Who doesn't
>>
>>81248504
He's baiting all of you, you idiots.
>>
>>81248544
Jokes on him, I get my sustenance arguing about dumb history shit.
>>
>>81248428
And the firebombings of Tokyo (alone) accounted for an estimated 200,000+ fatalities.

What is your fucking point?
>>
Reminder this is shaping up to be a better superman story than man of steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UU_CC81aGM
>>
File: koreaVsJapan2.png (271 KB, 1111x1376) Image search: [Google]
koreaVsJapan2.png
271 KB, 1111x1376
>>81248504
>>
>>81248439
>convinced that surface battleships were the key, and carriers extraneous.
That's what I'm saying and I'm going to stop it right there because I don't want to get into "ifs"
>>
>>81233367

Is that an octopus on his face?
>>
File: 6654234231.png (76 KB, 216x196) Image search: [Google]
6654234231.png
76 KB, 216x196
>>81248295
America has done very little wrong. But when it IS finally America's turn the desolation will be remembered throughout time
>>
>>81244218
Infinite was shit, you and every other video game """journalist""" who liked that turd are retarded.
>>
>>81248735
Say what you will, but we WILL take the entire planet with us. Unless the Chinese manage to get a foothold into the international banking market. Then we're fucked.
>>
>>81248735
We'll take all you motherfuckers down with us, just watch
>>
>>81248755
It wasn't good. But it wasn't bad either. I expected nothing from Infinite after Bioshock. And ultimately, I got nothing. But I will say this, the ending was really damn good. Credit due where it's due.
>>
>>81248807
hell yeah mutually assured destruction, Canada you damn well know you're going to burn with us.
>>
File: Fallout1CanadianAnnex.png (1003 KB, 1280x948) Image search: [Google]
Fallout1CanadianAnnex.png
1003 KB, 1280x948
>>81248926
>>
>>81248703
He's not wrong after nanking they really should have been wiped out.
>>
>>81248625
That you should be accurate with casualty counts if you're going to make them part of your argument, you dumb cunt. Well over a hundred thousand > thousands. Get it right.
>>
>>81249031
The fuck? The causalities were pretty much the same.
>>
>>81249211
Yeah. So say that. Don't do this:
>>81235692
Where you say "two bombs of terrifying new power that only took thousands of lives."
Or this:
>>81236239
"It was expedient and the thousands, not millions killed"
Or this:
>>81234136
"Superman thinks its courageous to kill thousands of women and children"

"Thousands" implies 2000-9999, not well over a hundred thousand. If you're going to be vague about the kill count, fine, cool, but at least put it in the right general area. Don't use a term that implies it was over a whole order of magnitude lesser than it actually was.
>>
>>81248735
>America has done very little wrong.
I guess, but only relative to countries that have been around much longer than us. There's all sorts of fucked up shit our government has done that they fully own up to. There's the Tuskegee syphilis experiments, the army's experiments with spraying zinc cadmium sulfide in small towns like St. Louis, the 1953 Iranian coup d'etat was a joint operation between the CIA and MI6 to overthrow the democratically elected ruler of Iran at the behest of AOIC (now British Petrolium) and MKULTRA.
There's more, but I think you get the picture.
>>
>>81249630
Again, superman is wrong. AFter nanking they should have all been bombed. Not one of them deserves to live after letting that happen.
>>
>>81249700
I don't give a fuck about whether it was right or wrong, anon. I'm arguing for the sake of historic accuracy here, not your ridiculous morality debate.
>>
>>81249630
It was a god damned magnitude lesser than any assumption. Worse possible estimate? 250,000. And that's well above any reasonable estimate.. That's a few hundred thousand dead. And even those words are stupidly over the bar, implying a bare minimum of 300,000.

That's all besides the point. You want to talk about death? The Atom Bombs were basically nothing in terms of civilian causalities during the course of the war.

Seriously, why the fuck are you so god damned interested in the nukes? All things considered, they killed no one. They are comparable to the V2 missiles, which didn't do shit during their deployment.
>>
>>81249786
So, the Japanese deserved to wiped off of the planet and the fact any of them survived is a terrible fucking injustice to history considering the reality of the times?
>>
>>81249810
For fuck's sake, are you still somehow missing my point?

The total casualty count of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is something like 129,000-246,000.

You and at least one other retard have been referring to the casualty count as being in the "thousands."

This is wildly fucking off by any reasonable measure.

I don't give a flying fuck about death or nukes or which method killed more. All I'm doing is telling you to not be lazy and to keep your damned facts straight. That's it.
>>
>>81249999
Stop putting words in my mouth and go bait someone else.
>>
>>81250110
Okay.

So the Atomic Bombs were a couple of hundred thousand in causalities.

What is your fucking point? That doesn't change a god damned thing. Civilian causalities were disturbingly more than that considering every single other form of warfare deployed at the time. European death tolls put Japan to shame, but nobody gives a shit because the bombs were traditional, not nuclear. Again, I ask the fucking question - Why the fuck do the nuclear bombs put your panties in a twist?
>>
>>81250172
Tell me how I'm putting words in your mouth. Tell me how I'm wrong.
>>
>>81250298
>Again, I ask the fucking question - Why the fuck do the nuclear bombs put your panties in a twist?

Christ al-shitting-mighty, I don't know how I can make this any clearer, and this is the last time I'm going to fucking repeat myself. The nukes do not get my frilly pink panties in a twist. I could not give less of a fetid shit about the relative death toll of whatever fucking weapon you care to name. My point, my ONLY point, is that you should be accurate with your numbers. Because historical accuracy, in historical debates, is important. In of it-fucking-self. That is it. That is literally all I am saying. That is all I have EVER been saying. Do you fucking get it now?
>>
>>81250473
No. I don't fucking get it. When the fuck did you ever talk about anything of the sort? Link some posts.
>>
>>81250627
Nope. Fuck you. Read the reply chain and apply a goddamned modicum of reading comprehension, if you're actually curious. I'm done trying to spoonfeed you.
>>
>>81250720
>I just got caught being a lying faggot! Oh shit, what do I do!? Okay, let me think.
>Uh, shit. Damn it. Fuck
>I Got it!
>No, YOU are the asshole. YOU haven't being attention. YOU read the thread! And find the posts that don't exist! Yeah!
>Man, I am so smart!
>>
>>81239960
Nigger they were literally putting polits in planes full of explosives and then WEILDING THE PLANES SHUT so they could think about not blowing people up.
>>
>>81248248
Except the US didn't get oil. In fact, it lost a source of it.
>>
>>81249681
https://youtu.be/smOZVF4ZYsY
>>
>>81250877
They're calling you a retard because your numbers are wrong.

I agree, you're a fucking retard because your numbers are fucking wrong. Your grammar also sucks, you sub-human trash. Furthermore, your arguments are phrased poorly you miserable pile of shit.

0/100, see me after class so I can tell your shitstain parents that you're following in their footsteps.
>>
File: 1349061933896.gif (2 MB, 286x186) Image search: [Google]
1349061933896.gif
2 MB, 286x186
>>
>>81244938
What comic is this from?
>>
>>81245111
>The Japanese Empire was all kind of fucked up, the bombs were needed imo.
Imperial Japan is what ISIS wants to be when it grows up.
>>
>/co/ is now /pol/
*tips fedora*
>>
>>81244286
>>turns into a /pol/ thread
I disagree this is more like /his/ and /k/ arguing about history and combat.
>>
>>81232643
It's better than an invasion, Imagine if the US split Japan with the USSR.
>>
>>81252552
Action Comics 904
>>
File: 1430981365308.jpg (116 KB, 401x333) Image search: [Google]
1430981365308.jpg
116 KB, 401x333
>>81244286
Any time one of my threads actually goes anywhere on /co/ its a wild fucking ride.
>>
>>81247388
That is literally the opposite of what happened if you're baiting it is very very good since it targets a specific autistic demographic im a part of

Russia was preparing to invade japan at the time as well, the destruction of the atom bomb kept the cold war cold, when everybody knew the horrible consequences of nuclear annihilation
>>
>>81247388
Damn, son...I seen retarded, I seen mad....But I ain't EVER seen madtarded. Kudos to you, you helped me invent a new word.
>>
>>81237215

>he hasn't zipped around disarming soldiers everywhere

I think he has, a few times.
>>
>>81234655
>Espically since Japan was close to surrendering
Maybe the civilians were. MAYBE. But the civilians don't dictate military policy. That kind of idea never really broached into society until Vietnam were massive public outcry and protests necessitated a pullout from a fucked situation. But the Japanese government had EVERY intention of fighting a war out of spite. Their counterplan to an invasion of the mainland is fucking horrifying. Operation Downfall and Operation Ketsugo would have caused anywhere from 1.7 million to 4 million American casualties and MULTIPLE atomic bombings to soften up Japanese beach defences.
>>
>>81246283
Honestly seeing the French flag used to be terrifying in certain time periods. They had a specific flag they'd raise in battle that alerted opposing forces that they were taking no prisoners (in direct contrast to standard practice of capturing nobles for ransom) and were just going to kill fucking everyone.
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.