[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despite most of them coming from NYC, why are there no italian-american
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: punisher-war-zone.19974.jpg (203 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
punisher-war-zone.19974.jpg
203 KB, 1000x1500
Despite most of them coming from NYC, why are there no italian-american marvel superheroes /co/ (or DC for that matter)? Pic related, the most famous Italian-American in comics.
>>
Italians can't be heroes, they more suited to be slimy street level villains
>>
>>
>The most famous Italian in comics is a guy who slaughters other Sicilians

HAHA
>>
>>
File: 3104807-guido-bigcostume3.jpg (21 KB, 315x425) Image search: [Google]
3104807-guido-bigcostume3.jpg
21 KB, 315x425
>>
>>81226890
Heh, Italians having the moral fiber to be superheroes... nice concept.
>>
>>81226890
Because most comic heroes were invented in an age where only whitest of the white existed as a majority

And because we don't like change as comic fans, and publishers aren't ballsy enough to put faith in new characters and push them

Really you're a ballsy fucker OP
>>
>>81226890
Aside from Frank, at Marvel there's:

Valentina Allegra de Fontaine (The Contessa)
Scorpion (Carmilla Black)
Blue Shield
Dryad (X-Men)
possibly 616 Tony Stark and definitely 1610 Tony Stark (Ultimate Iron Man)
Dino Manelli (Howling Commando/SHIELD)
Rockslide (X-Men)
Strong Guy (X-Men, X-Factor)

and, er, a whole bunch of characters you've probably never heard of from Marvel Italia, Marvel's former Italian publishing operation which, like other overseas publishing arms, published localized reprint alongside original content set in the main Marvel Comics universe.

This is not an exhaustive list.
>>
>>81227229
Actually the 40s had plenty of Italian-American superheroes, it's just that they weren't popular compared to the ones that have survived from that era.

Typically those that have survived from that era are those whose origins are more than just coming from the same neighborhood as their creators and who promoted themes of unity and national pride. Because of the war.

Interestingly the biggest hero of that time, Billy Batson, is basically defunct as an IP today, while Superman maintained relevance through radio shows and other media, and Captain America, who would otherwise be as forgotten as the rest, only survives because his creators resurrected him 20 years later and really fought to push him into the public consciousness, something that has had to be done repeatedly since that time.
>>
>>81226890
What was Frank's birth name again? Francis Castlegioni or something?
>>
>>81227384
Castiglione
>>
>>81227384
Castiglione. He changed name so he could serve one more tour, right?
>>
>>81226890
As an Italian- American who lives in southern New Jersey, I wish there were more Italian-American heroes too. I do like the Punisher. And I like that he takes down other Italians.

It's weird being Italian because while we aren't truly discriminated against these days, people either assume you're a fist pumping douche or have mob connections. Yes I know people just joke, but it gets tiresome. There's rarely Italian-Americans in media that aren't the douches or mob guys.
>>
Why are most of the states left completely undefended? I'm surprised they aren't all rubble due to lack of heroes by now.
>>
>>81227229
>Because most comic heroes were invented in an age where only whitest of the white existed as a majority

I think you mean most comic heroes were invented in an age where everybody making them was jewish
>>
>>81227788
>As an Italian- American who lives in southern New Jersey
So you're a militant racist

>It's weird being Italian because while we aren't truly discriminated against these days, people either assume you're a fist pumping douche or have mob connections. Yes I know people just joke, but it gets tiresome.
Tell that to the last black guy or jew you curb stomped scumbag spaghetti eater
>>
>>81227907
Sounds like he's a HERO to me.
>>
>>81227907
I'm no racist, kike.
>>
>>81227964
Just a greasy wop who's greatest contribution to society was irritating everyone around you

At least the blacks have hip hop and the jews can get you a job
>>
Why aren't there any Irish-American superheroes besides Daredevil?
>>
>>81228019
Hey man, I make-a pretty good pizza.
>>
>>81228039
Who is Steve Rogers?
>>
>>81228042
Better not be talking about deepdish.
>>
>>81227819
There was The Initiative were every state would be assigned a team of superheroes, but it just kind of blew over.
>>
>>81228081
Deepdish is garbage.
>>
>>81228081
Deep Dish Chicago style>New York style.
>>
>>81228112
My state never got a team, but I guess they wouldn't have used my hometown.
At least DC has a superhero in a roughly close enough location.
>>
File: detroit-s-10-best-pizzas.jpg (67 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
detroit-s-10-best-pizzas.jpg
67 KB, 640x434
>>81228127
Deep dish Detroit style > NY style > Chicago style deep dish
>>
>>81228192
>Detroit style
I'm surprised you guys can afford to cook.
>>
>>81228155
At least you aren't on Alaska defended by Hellcat.
>>
>>81228209
>Hellcat.
Oh dear lord what did Leth do to her?
>>
>>81228209
Hellcat may be shitty, but at least it isn't more New York.
>>
>>81228237
Ten year old trapped in body of grown woman.
While it sounds like premise of wacky comedy, it's sad. Plus "ugh, men".
>>
Marvel is kind of a New York cultural icon. Most New Yorkers I've talked to are proud of having Marvel comics in their city. They were proud of having DC in the city as well. Until they moved to Burbank for god knows why.
>>
>>81228273
Fuck New York, they already have enough cultural icons.
We don't even have a single one here.
>>
>>81228249
It's not Kansas, either. Remember that team from Zombie Squadron Supreme?
>>
>>81228307
You're talking about Marvel comics. They pride themselves in being hacks for profit. Are you kidding me?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.