[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman >This consistent trio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
>Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman
>This consistent trio is often depicted in comics

Why is this considered the go-to DC Comics team? I mean...what does Wonder Woman actually provide here?

Superman is enormous physical strength and incorruptible moral fiber. Batman, despite having no powers, is pure logic, creativity, intelligence, and discipline. Superman and Batman compliment one another perfectly and cover one another's innate weaknesses. Wonder Woman doesn't really provide anything that neither Superman and Batman already don't, does she? Her powers are so similar to Superman's and her moral stance, depending on the writer, is either on par or some kinda foreign Amazon code of honor thing that may or may not allow for horrible things to happen.

The Flash would be a better third than her. Or Martian Manhunter. Or Green Lantern.

Or Zatanna. That's something Batman and Superman are lacking, right? A knowledge of the magical and the arcane? An infinitely adaptive wildcard?
>>
if anything Batman is superfluous

Wonder Woman's lasso alone is worth all of Batman's intelligence and logic and sleuthing and whatever else he could possibly provide while being completely physically overmatched
>>
>>81225029
>Why is this considered the go-to DC Comics team?

It's about seniority, not about some grand idea of "purpose". They're the three Golden Age heroes whose books were never canceled or reimagined in the Silver Age or thereafter. The Flash, the Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc., they were all heavily altered, becoming entirely new characters. The Trinity endured much as they'd always been.
>>
Women rights
>>
>>81225160

The lasso only works when you have someone to interrogate and then they can only tell you what they actually know.

With Batman we're talking forensics, practical problem solving, criminal psychology, applied reasoning, and a massive arsenal of tools and weapons to fit most any situation.
>>
>>81225029
>Why is this considered the go-to DC Comics team? I mean...what does Wonder Woman actually provide here?
She is the best melee fighter in dc comics.
>>
>>81225029
Magical artifacts, decent fighting ability, useful lasso. Honestly I'd like Dr. Fate instead, but WW is good for girls to have a role model I guess?
>>
>>81225229

I still think Zatanna covers all that better than Wonder Woman. Superman's vulnerable to magic, Batman is a more science-oriented detective, so a pure magical expert like Zatanna would be ideal AND provide the female role model thing.

Wonder Woman works better as a solo character who carries herself.
>>
The true best imaginable superhero trio.

Superman, Batman, Hellboy
>>
>>81225308
You're right. Zatanna doesn't have much durability though, does she? Superman can't protect both Batman and Zatanna from getting oneshot so how will that work? Other than that I think it could work.
>>
They replace her with Flash and/or GL frequently on merchandise and promo stuff
>>
>>81225029
between these three, comics versions, not DCEU versions, I guess what Diana provides is that willingness to do what needs to be done. You know Clark will be hung up on his "there's always another way" and Bruce will always stick to his code. But Diana's code is the warrior's code.
>>
>>81225361

I think it's an issue of of specialization. Wonder Woman isn't as specialized as Zatanna but is more well-rounded. So, we have these possible setups.

>Two power characters (Superman + Wonder Woman)
>One support character (Batman)

>One power character (Superman)
>Two support characters (Batman and Zatanna)

Do we really need any more power on top of Superman? Does being support mean you have to be on the frontlines at all times? Batman, if need be, can put on the rarely used power armor and go to town but, in instances of cosmic-level danger, he's better off providing support in the background. Zatanna, meanwhile, has the kinda versatile magic abilities that can provide adequate support no matter where she is. We're talking about one of the strongest magic-users in the DC universe. She kinda needs to be on the front lines. Being physically weak doesn't mean she's vulnerable and needs to be guarded at all times.

That sounds like a better system. Superman and Zatanna playing field agents, Batman playing detective and support.
>>
>>81225419
Except that there IS always another way for Superman and Batman. They're real superheroes, unlike Neck Snapper.
>>
>>81225462
>They're real superheroes, unlike Neck Snapper.
That's just a meme, and it's obvious the only WW you are familiar with is Johns JL version of her. Morality-wise, she shares the same prinsiples as Superman. If she does kill it is when there is no other way. Lately though, writers have started with this "she'll do what Superman and Batman can't" crap. So now she's painted as the one who won't hesitate to kill the enemy when that's not true at all.
>>
>>81225029
>Why is this considered the go-to DC Comics team? I mean...what does Wonder Woman actually provide here?
With Wondy there it forces Bats & Supes to go out and fight criminals instead of staying inside all day doing gay stuff to each other.

In all seriousness though, it's actually Batman who could probably go. He's very fragile compared to Wondy & Supes. The only thing he brings is his intelligence and detective skills, however Supes and Wondy are both just as intelligent, even more so, than he is. Also they, or at least I know Supes can, process information quick than a human can. So Supes is probably a better detective than Batman. He's really not needed at all. That's why writers have to build up his abilities to an almost god-like level to make him seem like an asset to the team.
>>
>>81225174
>/thread
>>
>>81225029
Batman and Superman are their most popular characters, and Wonder Woman is THE superheroine as well as one of their oldest characters along with the other two.

That's it.
>>
>>81225455

A little more subtlety, Zatannafag.
>>
>>81225804
They aren't as intelligent as Bruce though. Not canonically.
>>
>>81225029
Batman: Natural, "Reality"
Superman: Superhuman, Sci-Fi
Wonder Woman: Supernatural, Fantasy

Wonder Woman gives an element of magic and mysticism to the trio.
>The Flash would be a better third than her. Or Martian Manhunter. Or Green Lantern.
These wouldn't, they more cover the sphere of superman unless you go with early GL.

Zatanna could've worked in that way, but she's not as punshy enough.
>>
DC Golden Age heroes that didn't fail.

Flash, MM, and GL don't fit that. You can only argue for Aquaman or Green Arrow. Or Zatanna's dad maybe but not the daughter.
>>
File: file.jpg (164 KB, 743x849) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
164 KB, 743x849
>>81225174
This.

Also Wonder Woman is the greatest diplomat, negotiator and politician of the three. She naturally speaks all Earth's languages, has an intimate knowledge of world history, can communicate with animals, and can force information out of anybody with her lasso, all things Batman and Superman can't do.
>>
>>81225419
This is bullshit made up for Infinite Crisis.
>>
>>81225029
Captain Marvel is a better substitute.
>>
>>81226402
Not really. DC made sure to screw the character over.
>>
Does Diana still come from a society of horrible, murdering rapists?

Wouldn't both Superman and Batman be appalled by that and insist on arresting every single Amazon mother on that goddamn island?
>>
>>81226800
That would make a good story. Superman/Batman: End of the Amazonian Nightmare
>>
>>81225029
Tech magic and meta humans.
Pretty much represents the three paths to becoming a super hero.
>>
>>81226800
>>81226823

>"But what about the children?"
>"The United States has a very strong foster care system."
>>
>>81226800
Bruce literally bred into the world's worst super villain clan, he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on there.

The rape got retconned back into the consensual loving it originally was, Bruce can't condom I guess.
>>
>>81225174
Aquaman was never truly reimagined.
But you know. Superfriends.
>>
>>81225029
Magic and mythology
Also the benefit of having Superman's powerset but with better fighting skills and lack of Kryptonian weaknesses
>>
File: fuck it.jpg (44 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
fuck it.jpg
44 KB, 480x320
>You'll never have morning coffee with Bruce Wayne
>You'll never attend Church with Clark Kent on Easter Sunday and then have a nice, Sunday dinner with him and the folks
>You'll never see wonderful, exotic sights human men were not meant to see with Princess Diana by your side
>>
File: top lel.jpg (298 KB, 1340x573) Image search: [Google]
top lel.jpg
298 KB, 1340x573
>>81225804
>however Supes and Wondy are both just as intelligent, even more so, than he is.
>Also they, or at least I know Supes can, process information quick than a human can.
>Supes is probably a better detective than Batman
>>
>>81226800
Well Batman is from Gotham city, a factory for crazed supervillains and a place where all law is routinely discarded and some villain or another assumes direct control.
>>
>>81226940
It is true for Silver Age and some other incarnations of Superman (i.e. : All-Star).
>>
>>81226963
If Gotham is a supervillian factory then Batman is the CEO that keeps asking the employees to increase production.
>>
>>81225029
She's the most popular chick character
>>
>>81226800
You can't judge everyone by the same moral standards. The Amazons are an ancient society who play by their own rules.

But since their acts did affect men of the outside world, they'd at least have the Amazons compensate the families of the men they killed in some way.
>>
>>81226988
And that version of Superman is OP and renders every other hero redundant. There is no need for the JL, except maybe the Flash, when Superman is that OP.
>>
>>81227066
He's still only one man and can't be everywhere.
>>
>>81226823
>>81226823
Sounds like it'd end with massive quantities of Snu-Snu
>>
>>81227126
Army of robots etc. He has a solution to every problem as a supergenius.
>>
>>81225980
>>81226940
He is right though, Clark has super intellect and alien knowledge. Batman is just better at analytical thinking because he sees things as out to get him.

Bruce brings the Justice league Dosh, that is why he is really allowed on the team, that and Batman is banging Clark.
>>
>>81226900
She is often depicted as a watered down Supes, but with a warriors training. Her original weakness was retconned, but she has a pertinacity for necks.
>>
>>81229684
Except he makes everyone useless, not just Batman. In fact, he kinda already does make most of them useless, even being a retard.
>>
>>81226800
Yeah but Rucka will fix that soon enough
>>
>>81229773
Her real weakness is if someone has no neck to snap. Her greatest nemesis should be No-Neck Man: the man with no neck.
>>
>>81226888
>Aquaman was never truly reimagined.

Less than the others in terms of aesthetics (all he got was a new pair of gloves), but his backstory and nature were given a considerable overhaul. Before 1959, Aquaman wasn't an Atlantean-human hybrid, but a human empowered by experiments performed by his scientist father.
>>
>>81229847
Flash can travel through time. MM is a telepath and can shapeshift, Shazam has the magic, Green lantern brings utility and his stupidity entertains the league.

Superman is the physical strongest and invulnerable but he lacks other things that can be shored up by others. WW is just kinda redundant when paired with him.
>>
>>81225029

You're kind of forgetting the main team includes Flash, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern. Bases are covered. The trinity is just the most famous and the oldest in the line up. Still a pretty OP team you sperg.
>>
>>81230001
WW has woman's intuition :^)
>>
>>81230001
Superman could invent a time traveling device. Probably even a mind reading device. Shape shifting is useless. Magic is useless and he can learn it if he needs. Ring is also useless.

Superman's powers, and new ones he can acquire by going for a dip in the Sun or through genetic manipulation, are superior to anything anyone else has.
>>
>>81225029

Superman Batman and Wonder Woman, in that order were the only books popular enough to survive the market collapse that killed superhero comics after WW2 and thus survived to the Silver Age.

That is why they are The Trinity.
>>
>>81227040
>You can't judge everyone by the same moral standards

Yeah I can.

>The Amazons are an ancient society who play by their own rules.

And those rules are incompatible with the moral standards of the rest of the world so fuck 'em, they're evil.

>But since their acts did affect men of the outside world, they'd at least have the Amazons compensate the families of the men they killed in some way.

While they're rotting in jail, hopefully. Fuck their isolationist society of rapist killers.
>>
>>81232450
Yeah, moral relativism is for retards.
>>
>>81225029
>I mean...what does Wonder Woman actually provide here?

Token female.
>>
>>81233221

It is when it involves an isolationist civilization that actively rapes and murders members of other civilizations while simultaneously offering nothing of importance to the rest of the world.

The embrace of moral relativism makes morals meaningless and without definition. A stance of moral absolutism is a frequent necessity.
>>
>>81225029
Her character profile is high because of how famous she is in real life. That's it.

Anon, one day you're gonna have to grow up and realize that sometimes there IS no consistent or sensible in-universe explanation for shit because it's always decided from an out of universe perspective and often the in-universe reasons are strictly secondary to writers and editors.
>>
>>81225029
>doesn't see the value WW brings
>names a female magical superhero has a good 3rd
You do realize that WW is magical, right?

And why wouldn't you want the biggest and longest running female Hero teaming up with the two biggest and longest running male heroes?
>>
>>81233335
Moral relativism is always retarded. Moral absolutism isn't just necessary, it's correct.
>>
>>81225029
Honestly the all encompassing power of superman is why i was never a big fan of him in team books.

You either have superfluous other members or you have to raise those other members up to ungodly heights to keep pace with him (see: batgod, speedforce can do absolutely anything)
>>
>>81233946
Speedforce became a thing in Wally's own book, not in JLA as a response to Superman. It's just the natural power-creep that move heroes go through.
>>
>>81233946
>>81234023
Yeah I would only blame Batgod on JL, but speed force is definitely something that started in the Flash comics. Waid's whole run was basically about it.
>>
>>81234023
Yeah and part of me likes to think that. But i'm not so sure if in the long run that is the case. Not the speedforce being a thing in and of itself. but the extents to which it kept upping what flash could do.

I hate to do a marvel/dc company wars parallel but it makes me think of how little most heroes in the marvel universe have increased in abilities. Captain america, namor, spider-man. Thor has been a little wishy washy but thats less increasing in ability and more consistent 'look what mjolnir can do'.

It just seems odd so many other DC heroes have remained somewhat consistent as time has gone by but those who fight alongside superman seem to have for the most part all gotten new power or greater power.
>>
>>81235583
It's just power creep. Everyone goes through it at some point. Hulk went from "Being angry makes me strong" to "Being angry makes me an invincible behemoth that can break planets". Ghost Rider went from a stunt biker who had enhanced strength and a flaming skull to an agent of Heaven that can burn the souls of sinners. The reverse is also true for some people like Green Lantern or Firestorm where they are depowered. It's not like Superman is the one who caused all this to happen, new writers come in and think shit would be cool so they do it.
>>
>>81225029
>Superman and Batman compliment one another perfectly and cover one another's innate weaknesses.
Are all Batfags this delusional?
>>
>>81235958
They fit each other.
Like hand and glove.
>>
>>81226938
But I was raised Catholic and Clark is a Prod. It would never work.
>>
What is Marvel's trilogy if DC's is Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman?
>>
>>81236295
*trinity
>>
>>81236295
Cap/Iron Man/Thor allegedly
>>
>>81236159

Don't be such a prude. It's just one little religious get-together of non-papist Christianity. What's the worst that could happen, baby?

Are non-Catholics allowed to attend Easter mass? 'Cause, I mean, Supes would probably be down for it.
>>
>>81236295
Marvel doesn't really have one. Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor are basically the Avengers Trinity, but they're nowhere near as popular or Iconic. Marvel's most popular heroes are probably Spider-Man and Wolverine, but past them there aren't really any major standouts.

I'd venture to guess that the big reason Marvel doesn't have a "Trinity" is that Marvel as we know it today didn't really start until the 60's, so Only Captain America really has the kind of history that DC's Trinity has.
>>
File: best trio.png (2 MB, 916x922) Image search: [Google]
best trio.png
2 MB, 916x922
>>81225029
> the superior trinity
>>
>>81226800
>insist on arresting
americans
>>
File: 1452830248456.gif (663 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1452830248456.gif
663 KB, 500x446
>Tfw there will be a story about Wonder-woman family getting arrested by Unite nation for rape and slavery.

Would you read it?
>>
>>81225201
Not when Karate Kid exists, anon. Hell, that's literally his whole gimmick.
>>
>>81230112
>shape shifting
>magic
>ring
>useless

None of that is true though.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.