[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC comics dying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3
File: dc reboot.jpg (905 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
dc reboot.jpg
905 KB, 900x1350
Why is DC falling apart?
>>
Because Barry is Flash instead of Wally. DC would dominate market if Wally was Flash.
>>
Duke and harper row i hate the both fuckers..
>>
>>81224078
Its not, outside of Green Lantern theyve got strong post-Rebirth teams
>>
Because the continuity of the comics is a mess, and the movies are being helmed by Zack Snyder

Only the animated movies and live-action TV series are any good
>>
>>81224078
because it's not my ideal version of what DC is. Seriously, say what you want about /co/ but the CBR Forums and those Facebook Comment Boards are a cesspool of people screaming "NUH MUH"

>>81224165
>You need continuity to tell a good story
A lot of great books take place outside of continuity.

>Animated Movies
They suck, outside of the recent Gods and Monsters Timm Movie, they all suck post-Flashpoint.
>>
>>81224165
>Because the continuity of the comics is a mess

pretty much this

only five years into New52 and it's already being rebooted, oh sorry, "rebirthed"
>>
>>81224165
>the animated movies
>good
Uh....
>>
>>81224238
REEEEEE IT'S STILL THE SAME FUCKING CONTINUITY YOU FUCKING MOUTH BREATHER. This really fucking grinds my gears.
>>
>>81224078
It's not, at least not in any immediate way.
That said, comics sales drop every year and the Big Two in general are circling the drain very, very slowly since their parent companies have to financially support them almost entirely since they barely ever break ever fiscally and Time-Warner and Disney only really care about using them as IP farms anyway.
>>
>>81224313
to be honest both of them should consider dropping physical floppies for any low-selling titles

people are more than happy to read digitally these days and tradewaiting is more popular than ever
>>
Nice company war, bros.
>>
>>81224340
Digital comics are fucking trash.
>>
Rebirth seems pretty solid.

DC doesn't tend to mimic/pander to cinema audience like Marvel do to a unholy degree and don't throw out #1 left right and center. (DCYOU was a mistake)

They've probably suffered for it.
>>
>>81224379
maybe for collectors, but I personally just read everything here and then buy the trades of the stuff I like

i'm not going to pay $6 for 24 pages when I can wait ~6 months and get 200 pages for $18
>>
>>81224396
I love how people are saying "there's no experimental titles, DC is playing too safe!".
Experimental titles were DCYou and we all know how that ended.
>>
>>81224454
It's not the price desu. It's the fact that they have 3 issue arks taking 5-7 to tell so that they fit into trades "naturally".

I'd rather read physical copies but if I'm getting that little story per issue, into the story time reserves I go.
>>
>>81224078
I think they are doing a good with REBIRTH by pandering to both the nostalgia fans and the new fans.

Nostalgia fans
>titans
>supersons
>detective comic
...etc

New fans
>RHATO
>Harley
>SS
...etc

If the fans still complaint after this, then there is honestly nothing dc can do to satisfy them.
>>
>>81224396
The movies don't really boost comic sales that much honestly, especially not individual issue sales. You can ask most people and most will say that they didn't go out and suddenly become devoted comics readers after enjoying a film.
Movies are good for making superhero fans, NOT comic book fans.
>>
>>81224165
Flash is so-so at best, and Arrow is irredeemable garbage.
>>
>>81224517
Tell that to Marvel Comics!
>>
>>81224379

Eh, I've only recently gotten into comics again after not having bought one for around 18 years and it's mostly thanks to a few of the $1 dc digital titles. Now I throw about $10-$20 a week on digital releases to read on my tablet while I'm commuting to work and back. I know I'm probably an outlier when it comes to these things though
>>
>>81224500
most of the poorly-written comics that try to do that get shitcanned, at least at dc. all of their critically acclaimed stuff is pretty tightly compressed (snyder batman, omega men, darkseid war)

not sure what it's like at marvel though
>>
>>81224154
>theyve got strong post-Rebirth teams
not many
>>
>>81224470
And DC didn't learn from it. DCYou didn't fail because it did experimental stuff, if failed because it did ONLY experimental stuff and their flagship titles were a mess.
>strong trumps continuity
But here's Superman and Detective Comics having to deal with the events of Batman and Action Comics because
Let's not even mention Wonder Woman and Flash.

At least they've learned to make the secondary bats and Supes titles their own things but Rebirth should've been a nice balance between the two(experimental and traditional)
>>
>>81224543
not really. If you seriously think movies alone boost sales then you're dead wrong. Before Falcon Cap, he was still being outsold by Wonder Woman and before Bendis was on Ironman, it also sold rather mediocre. They're fluffing up the sales using incentive based variants and you can tell it really works.
>>
>>81224470
And even then they're wrong, there's still a couple books like New Super-man and Superwoman, and Gotham Academy and Prez are continuing later, and Dr. Fate is still going

But yeah the number of people who are pissed that DC didn't keep a bunch of books that sell 10k or less is amusing
>>
>>81224651
Superwoman is not fucking experimental. And although New Super-man sounds cool, the artist is very safe.
>>
>>81224628
But the experimental titles almost universally sold like dog shit.
>>
>>81224668
Maybe experimental is not the right word for Superwoman but brand new legacy characters getting a solo immediately is still unusual
>>
>>81224703
Can you not read? if failed because it did ONLY experimental stuff and their flagship titles were a mess.
>>
>>81224711
Well, I'm not going to applaud them for another SUPER title.
>>
>>81224668
I dunno but has there ever been a time an artist managed to sell a relatively unknown book? I mean Bogdanovik isn't even that huge right?

Even so. Yeah, anon's right. There's Gotham Academy Next Semester, Prez, Dr Fate, then there's the Hannah Barbera Books too
>>
>>81224078
they aren't.

marvel is abusing the shit out of a bubble DC stumbled upon with linewide relaunches. they are going to crash the market again within the next couple of years unless they change their practices.

DC has lost % market share because marvel is riding the #1 train, but they have a stronger brand. Comics like Batman and Justice League and Harley Quinn have had strong runs the likes of which Marvel can only dream about. When was the last time you saw a #49 from Marvel pulling the numbers Batman #49 did?? DC understands that they need to keep the linewide events to a minimum (family crossovers like night of owls or h'el on earth are much more appealing to a casual reader) and that the best possible thing they can do is put out a consistent ongoing month after month.

Anyone who casually follows Marvel probably got confused as shit by the 6+ month hiatus on the titles they were reading when Secret Wars came out and felt alienated, look at the hemorrhaging sales in the new Marvel ongoings. They do not have the business practices to court the casual audience, the only thing they are managing intelligently is Star Wars and arguably Spider-Man.
>>
>>81224795
Yang is a pretty big name in indie comics and New Super-man is a title that really doesn't need a top tier artists to sell, so I don't get your point

>Dr. Fate not ending
says who?
>>
>>81224818
Dr. Fate #13 is coming out in June, it's not marked final issue, and there's the rumor that Levitz will always have a book if he wants one
>>
>>81224795
>then there's the Hannah Barbera Books too
You saw people saying "too edgy, not muh", right?
>>
>>81224828
Well, Constantine The Hellblazer has a #13 too, so...
>>
>>81224832
yeah, and guess what. That Too Edgy Nuh Muh? Being written by writers well known for their humor and comedy. Wacky Raceland is being written by the guy who made Happy Tree Friends and Scooby Doo by DeMatteis/Giffen.
>>
File: 1454593057696.png (56 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1454593057696.png
56 KB, 380x380
>>81224828
>Dr Muhammad Bin-al-Waleed Fate
Cancel it.
>>
>>81224832
They haven't said that about the best looking one.
I'm kind of hyped for Future Quest.
>>
>>81224236
Assault on Arkham was good.
>>
>>81224803
ALSO DC have done a better job at courting new readers by taking a chance on stuff like Grayson and Batgirl with good results. DCYOU took this principle too far, and for every Grayson there are 3 failed attempts at gaining new readership (Dial H, Klarion, Sword of Sorcery and countless other series). Despite their failures, the successes are very worth it since they bring new readership and can get people to branch out into the DC universe. Marvel has only managed to court one type of new reader. The people who like Hellcat are the same who like Squirrel Girl and the same who liked Kelly-Sue Captain Marvel. They haven't got any tonal diversity, all they publish is mainstream stuff for capefags, tumblr audience comics, the occasional skottie young one-shot (often tied into an event in a way that would alienate a kid and distributed through comic shops for some reason), the occasional Nick Spencer comedy comic and Vision.
>>
>>81224844
No need to tell me that, I know and learned about guys I didn't know. Tbh, Giffen will always have pass to me.
>>81224850
I'm excited for all of them. Mad Racers in particular.
>>
>>81224720
That's why DCYou as a whole failed, yes. But if the experimental titles, specifically, didn't sell, what motivation does DC have to put out more of them with Rebirth?
>>
>>81224871
>Dial H, Klarion, Sword of Sorcery
Those weren't DCYou
>>
>>81224915
Well, if that''s the case why not just publish Batman and Justice League spin offs?
>>
>>81224840
Yeah but we know that's going to end and relaunch as The Hellblazer, Dr. Fate isn't showing up anywhere else
>>
New 52

It may have gotten them more money first but it hurt them in the long run. And lack of direction/control when it comes to their cinematic universe.
>>
>>81224932
Because it's canceled.
>>
>>81224871
Not sure I'd call writing a book starring Dick 'taking a chance', Nightwing has sold well over the years no matter who was writing it, or how bad it got.
>>
>>81224926
Grayson wasn't either. I think anon meant that even though Grayson was good and it was niche and had a lot of vocal hate against it did that well, it didn't mean that every good niche book that will most likely gather skepticism and doubt would do as well. Fuck me Demon Knights and Amethyst were the fucking bomb and it still kills me that they did so poorly.
>>
>>81224928
That's pretty much what they're doing. Plus a few more out-there ones that either have name potential (Superwoman), trusted creative teams (Blue Beetle) or both (Deathstroke)
>>
>>81224951
Well Demon Knights had Venditti to bring it down it quality before getting it canned.
>>
>>81224078
Because they aren't willing to make any actual changes to the status quo meaning that every story either ends with everything going back to business as usual or they get tied into a reboot. The fact is that if you aren't willing to change a character and/or the world they live in through the story then there is no point in having told the story. Which is why the best comic books are normally self-contained. Year One is great because you can see the changes in Batman and in Leuitenant Gordon and at the end they are at better off in their respective roles for having gone through their respective trials. But changing a character means risking that the audience won't like them anymore and no one wants to give up the cash cow. Comics for the most part suck ass now and I stopped bothering keeping up with most characters who have been around for +30 years without and real recent developments in the characters. Marvel deals with this too but at least they are willing to have real world threats like terrorism, an unstable economy and growing general discontent manifest inside their fictional world, keeping it somewhat relevant.
>>
>>81224960
Still can't believe who got to write Deathstroke.
Can't believe who's Red Hood's artist, either.
>>
>>81224960
No, I mean why aren't they doing 15 Batman titles starrrign Batman(Batman, All Star Batman, Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight, Shadow of The Batman, Batman Squad, Detective Comics, Tales of The Batman) and 15 Justice League titles( Justice League, JLA, Justice League International, Justice League X, New Justice League, All New All Amazing Justice League, Batman and The Justice League)?
>>
>>81225003
Dexter Soy? He did those Mortal Kombat X comics. he's no big deal.
>>
>>81224999
>comics suck ass now
*the superhero genre
>>
>>81225003
>Can't believe who's Red Hood's artist, either
I'm pretty sure Lobdell is blackmailing half the industry, RHaTO has been pretty lucky with artists historically.
>>
>>81225004
Fine, I'll concede that I was exaggerating. But you have to admit that none of the Rebirth titles sound as risky as, say, Midnighter, or Omega Men, and there's a sales based reason for that.
>>
>>81225022
Got me there, superhero comics sick ass now. There are a few genres ont eh fringes that manage to get out some good stuff that don't get enough attention because the :AW:Y NERD CULTURE bullshit of the past few years has only widened the audience for superheros and pushed other genres even more to the fringes. Of course when all the trend-follower fags move on to the next fad and leave comics the industry will have set up a structure that was meant to appeal to the casuals for more money and the more dedicated readers hate.
tl;dr comic book crash after the casuals find something else shiny to look at
>>
>>81225047
That's my point. They should've had a nice mix of both. Rebirth is too safe, DCYou was too experimental/d list
>>
>>81225013
I liked him ever I saw his art in first issue of KSD's Carol.
>>81225031
Totally.
>>
>>81225060
And my point is, considering how the D-list stuff sold, is Rebirth really too safe? I don't think having a better core would've helped the fringe DCYou stuff much.
>>
>>81225108
If anything having more fringe titles in a sea of double shipping core books would result in none of them getting bought since people are too busy buying the core titles twice a month.
32 individual titles to begin with with more experimental books on the way is slightly better.
>>
>>81225108
Not only would the better core help, but having less experimental/d list starring title would mean the people that aren't interested in A listers wouldn't have the dilemma of "what to buy?" because there's o many to choose from.
>>
>>81224078
Every week we have this fucking thread.
>>
>>81224078
DC has always sucked, everything they have ever done is fucking garbage. Even Batman, sorry. Yes, Watchmen too. It's even shittier than Batman.

DC is shit. Shitty-shit-shit. Worse than Image, worse on their best day than Marvel is on their worst, and Marvel is pretty fucking bad at their worst. DC sucks ass, irredeemably.
>>
>>81224818
except he isn't. His claim to fame is being the Ambassador for Kid's Literature and American Born Chinese, he's not as big as you think he is and most people who know him of his literary work don't pay much attention to his comic book work. Despite what you think about Yang people are pretty so and so about New Super-Man and couldn't care any less

>>81224803
Preach, for example. A bunch of ANAD Books actually sold LESS as #1s after Secret Wars compared to their issues before Secret Wars. LCS are still forgiving to Marvel since a lot of em still think DC is the wrong company to support (Heck some of them even think DC is stupid for not just copying Marvel and just relaunching back to #1 during DC You)

>>81224945
Earth 2 Society wasn't part of Rebirth and everyone knows it's going to continue on Post Rebirth. Dr Fate wasn't focused on because he isn't part of Rebirth
>>
>>81225332
Calm down nick spencer.
>>
>>81225380
>people are pretty so and so about New Super-Man and couldn't care any less
True.

But American Born Chinese, Boxers and Saint, Shadow Hero were very well received. He's a bigger name than Russell
>>
>>81224313
Sales have been up every year for the last decade
>>
>>81225332
>Shitty-shit-shit

Why do people do this? Makes you sound like a fucking baby.
>>
Why did they make Cyborg an original Justice League member? It's because he's black isn't it?
>>
Not muh rose tinted glasses era
>>
File: 52-week-1-52-covers-wide[1].jpg (254 KB, 1024x781) Image search: [Google]
52-week-1-52-covers-wide[1].jpg
254 KB, 1024x781
>>81224078
>it really did end there
>>
>>81224078
This reminds me of a month or two back when people started screaming about how DC was failing in every way imaginable when the numbers and pie chart came out, but failed to take into account that DC had less books in general (like 70 to Marvel's 90+) and how that month was a terrible month for everybody. DC wasn't and still isn't back down to pre 52 levels, and that means the reboot is still a success.

People are going to be doing it AGAIN when Rebirth doesn't pull 200k-300k+ numbers for every #1 like a lot of ANAD #1s did, because people aren't aware that each #1 seems to have ONE extra variant. They may be relaunching like Marvel, but they sure as hell aren't playing the variant game like them. Books DC pushed or considered important before like Grayson and Cyborg had like 3 or 4 variants for their #1, so them not giving every Rebirth book is surprising.

>>81224803
This
Floppies in general are selling like shit. They need variants and at least 1-2 issues of crossover and/or tie ins to get bigger numbers. Star Wars, events, a listers, and b listers can survive just fine. Everything else is doomed.
>>
>>81224306
Are people really this retarded, literally deaf, or just shitposting at this point?
Any DC rep must have said at least 4 times by now that it's not a reboot.
>>
>>81224306
>>81225850
it's a continuity cleanup in the same vein as Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis.
>>
>>81224313
>>81225487

I hear both all the time. Comics are dying! But are also growing every year?

How is this possible? The only explanation I have is that while more comics are being sold, there are more individual titles on offer, meaning that your average books sells less.

This could be totally wrong but I don't see another way to reconcile this.
>>
>>81226580
>comics sales drop every year
Sales in general are up, but Marvel and DC aren't controlling as much of the market share as they were before.
>>
>>81228705
And since Marvel and DC are the only comics that matter... comics are dying.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.