[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney and Pixar in the Mid-90's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: toystory.jpg (61 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
toystory.jpg
61 KB, 800x600
After 1994's The Lion King was the peak, Disney had a much more disappointing film in Pocahontas. However, Disney was still considered to be in the "Renaissance" through the rest of the 90's, as it gave us Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, and Tarzan.How do those movies still hold up? Do you enjoy them? Would you classify them in the same league as the Early Renaissance films (Mermaid, BATB, Aladdin, Lion King)?

The Mid-90's was also when Pixar started becoming a thing, giving us the breakthrough of Toy Story in 1995. Do you think this affected animation overall for the positive, or do you look on it with more skepticism due to today's CGI-laden animation scene? Was Toy Story a great start for Pixar, or has it not aged well?
>>
Toy Story's animation really hasn't aged well at all, but that's no surprise, it was the first. The story overall is still a classic though.

And as much as I love the early Renaissance, I still think Hunchback of Notre Dame is the best movie Disney's ever made.
>>
I'm not sure if this is an 'everyone knows' story, but I still find it funny that Pocahontas was the A-team movie while Lion King was done by the B-team.
>>
Toy Story's a timeless movie and franchise. It's got a lot of heart and soul to it. And yeah, I think the later 90s Disney movies were just as good, but they did feel a little different in how they approached comedy.
>>
>>81207013
The only movie I could say that really felt different in terms of comedy was Hercules, just in that it was very much a more comedic film. But then again so was Aladdin.

The whole comic sidekick thing did start getting a lot more annoying around then though.
>>
Now streaming as part of a M-W-F marathon through Disney/Pixar's history. Tonight is Toy Story, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules.Pixar shorts on now as a preshow, first movie in 15 minutes.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
>>81207373
holy shit it's back, so you're just doing disney or all animation?
>>
>>81207673
Just Disney/Pixar this time, and only on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. You just caught us at our halfway point, since we're already in the Mid-90's.
>>
Toy Story is still a great movie, but damn they could NOT animate people yet. I remember they just looked horrifying in the original movie, but there was a huge improvement by the time they did TS2.
>>
>>81207836
CG models at the time tended to look like plastic which was the reason why they went with a movie specifically about toys.
>>
>>81209944
Yeah.. Though even then it's really impressive how much of an improvement there is between it and the sequel 4 years later.
>>
>>81207373
Credits for Toy Story are rolling. Hunchback is coming up.
>>
I still like Hercules and Mulan and would rank them in the same league as the earlier 90s movies. Both are better than Lion King for sure. I was never a big fan of Hunchback and Tarzan.

Toy Story is an all-time classic. Honestly it wasn't really this movie that killed traditional animation, it was Shrek, so I don't blame Toy Story for any of that.

Incidentally my friend's favorite Disney movie is Pocahontas. I asked him why but I guess he thought I was making fun of him because he didn't give me a straight answer
>>
Hunchback is the true gem of the Renaissance. I wish Disney would make a movie as dark and serious as that, but it will probably never happen now.
>>
>>81211726
Hercules starting in a few minutes.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.