[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethan Van Sciver BTFO Desh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6
File: d511-600x360.png (357 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
d511-600x360.png
357 KB, 600x360
> I ain’t goin’ NOWHERE, Desh. I’ll be on GREEN LANTERN for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time.

>First and foremost, I LOVE GREEN LANTERN.

>I jumpstarted this franchise with Geoff 12 years ago, created a lot of concepts and characters and put a lot of things in motion, and then left. We made it HUGE. At one point Green Lantern was second only to Batman. I came back here and there to do an annual or a fill in, but I mostly watched from the sidelines, unhappily, while other creators worked on this book and these characters.

>GREEN LANTERN should be an endless fountain of spin off books for DC Comics. It really should. Hal Jordan should always be at the heart, in my opinion, because he’s the Silver Age start of the title. But there really SHOULD be a John Stewart solo book. There really should be a Guy Gardner spin off book. There should be a Kyle book.

>I think we’ll get there. At the moment, HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS, a lengthy title I will rue having to type all of the time, is the classic GREEN LANTERN title. It’s Hal-centric. All other Lanterns will appear there in, but as his partners. My hope is that if we do a fantastic book, and win back readers again, the franchise will grow once more. As it stands, I’m shocked at it’s position on the top 300 charts. I can list a hundred different reasons why I believe this has happened. But I want to keep things positive, restore what works, and create new stuff to expand and enrich.

>If you are a fan of GREEN LANTERN, you’ll join us! I promise you it’ll be great. If you’re just an isolated fan of one Green Lantern character, hopefully we’ll make you happy. But further, hopefully we’ll get things back to where they should be and a John Stewart title will be forthcoming.
>>
>People aren’t wearing “Geoff Johns” t-shirts. They’re wearing Green, Blue, Red, Yellow and Orange Lantern shirts. (Not so much Indigo or Violet though. Hm.) GREEN LANTERN has fans, but they can only be expected to support the book when it’s good. With Geoff, it was great. And I think it can be great again.

>Desh thinks Geoff and I are “holding GL back” and should leave GREEN LANTERN.

>WE DID. We did leave.

>So we’re back. He’s creating this GREEN LANTERNS title, and I think it’ll be great. I’m excited about drawing that REBIRTH issue.

>And I’m drawing HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS, working with Robert Venditti. I’m looking forward to talking to him and getting his pumped and motivated to do great things.

>All of these DC characters are great, they just need to be put in the proper creative hands. GREEN LANTERN will never match BATMAN, (nothing will) but it did really, really well in the last decade. There’s definitely room to build and grow.

>So let’s rock it!
>>
>No, there’s absolutely no reason whatsoever. Before I knew about REBIRTH, I was working up the conditions of my exclusive contract with DC, and one of the things I asked for was my own Green Lantern title called HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS. I just wanted my own playground, like Dave Finch got with Batman: The Dark Knight. I wanted it to be along the lines of the classic 1980’s GREEN LANTERN book that Joe Staton drew. I’d get to draw all of the Lanterns, and Hal, (who I’m sorry, is my favorite) would be the lead. And I’d choose my own writer.

>I was told “nah.” No to that title being created for me. I can only speculate as to why, but it probably had to do with plans already in motion with REBIRTH.

>Suddenly, I am invited to join this event. What do I want to draw? And I just said, “Green Lantern, Green Lantern, Green Lantern.” At which time, I was told that there was a book being planned with the title HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS (guess they liked it) and that if I wanted in, I could have it.

>My feeling is that GREEN LANTERN has shrunk. There’s blame to go around, but look, we’ve got a progressive new GREEN LANTERNS title with a fresh approach, and then a classic title with the flavor of the Joe Staton run. Those are the two book we have to build from. I think we can do great things, but we need fan support.

>I hope you’ll cheer us on. I do hear you. Believe me. I only care about telling great Green Lantern stories to the widest possible audience. So I’m listening.
>>
Johns and Van Sciver on GL, sounds good
>>
>>81203499
Johns isn't on EVS book. HJGLC is Venditti and EVS
>>
>>81203739
>venditti

yuck
>>
>>81203810
Humphries is on the other one
>>
>Van Sciver actually showed up just to BTFO a retarded Stewart fanboy

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?1107-Green-Lantern-John-Stewart-Appreciation-Thread/page306
>>
>>81202363
I would wear a geoff shirt desu
>>
>>81204024
It was odd seeing VS debating desh. I only know him from co
>>
while I can appreciate EVS defending GL and can tell he's obviously a fan and wants it to succeed and genuinely loves the GLC.. i fucking hate his art style. it's so fucking 90s it sickens me. LIPS DON'T HAVE THAT FUCKING.. UNDER PUDGE.. he exaggerates dimples / cheeks so fucking much ugh, i hate it.

i appreciate him but I wish he'd change it up a little bit. he always makes hal n everyone look so old, like they're 35-40 yrs old.

also, none of this fucking matters cause we still have venditti writing, so
>>
>>81202215
>the classic GREEN LANTERN title. It’s Hal-centric. All other Lanterns will appear there in, but as his partners

I can only imagine how assblasted this must have made Desh
>>
File: 1308795827379.jpg (50 KB, 334x299) Image search: [Google]
1308795827379.jpg
50 KB, 334x299
>>81202416
>I wanted it to be along the lines of the classic 1980’s GREEN LANTERN book that Joe Staton drew. I’d get to draw all of the Lanterns, and Hal, (who I’m sorry, is my favorite) would be the lead. And I’d choose my own writer.

This is literally all I've wanted for a long time. Staton/Englehert era GL is one of my favorites. Hopefully Venditti doesn't suck the fun out of this.
>>
Is it too much to ask for a Hal book and then a book about Jon, Guy, Kyle, and the alien members of the core? I like Hal as much as the next guy, but does he really need 2 books about him?
>>
>tfw you'll never be an annoying enough Wally or Legion fan to get senpai Geoff to notice you
>>
>John is always in the background. John fans are always promised this, that, and the other thing. Looks like DC does care about continuity.

>Glad we got confirmation about how these guys see John's role in the franchise.

>Too bad the guys at Marvel aren't handling these properties. They wouldn't be holding John back; he'd be front and center.

>Edit - I don't see why any writer, especially a POC, would want to work under a regime forcing you and the characters you support into second class status. BAKA

These people
>>
File: 01-cover.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1215) Image search: [Google]
01-cover.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1215
Reminder that Desh is making his own Green Lantern comic.
>>
>>81204659

He doesn't? Simon and Jessica have one book (two if you count Justice League), everyone else has the other.
>>
>>81204659
HJGLC is Hal centric and it's the only book he's in

Baz and Jessica star in Green Lanterns and they're replacing Hal in JL
>>
>>81204940
Who is desh?
>>
>>81205090
John Stewart fan who goes on multiple forums bitching about how Hal should be discarded in comics, tv, films etc and John should become the main GL because muh JLU
>>
Who the fuck is Desh
>>
Holy fucking god he says Baz and Cruz should not have been made because John should have gotten that attention what is wrong with him
>>
>>81204886
And yet Desh's crazy ass said Cruz and Baz should not exist because MUH JOHN
>>
>>81205090
>>81205269

Desh is pretty infamous to those of us who lurk on the CBR forums as the most assblasted Stewartfag ever.
>>
>>81205342
DCAU rots peoples brains

It's why Barbara must be Batgirl for forever everywhere
Why John must be #1 GL despite being #2 at best in the comics but usually a black card to wave around
Why BM/WW totally belong together even though it's garbage like SM/WW
>>
>>81205463

it's weird how /co/'s gone away from DCAU is god thinking. it used to be kinda rampant
>>
>>81205463
BM WW actually makes sense though
>>
>>81205514
Nope. OT3 or 0/3.
>>
>>81205514
No, Diana shouldn't be there to make poor wittle Bruce feel better.

It's bad enough the batfamily get stuck in that cycle, so Diana doesn't need to get in on that.
>>
Desh on suicide watch
>>
>>81204112
same he's my creator husbando along with King
>>
>John Stewart has fans
How does the blandest Green Lantern have so many fans? Is it because he's black?
>>
>>81205722
DCAU
>>
>>81205500
I'm glad. DCAU was good for what it was (cool Elseworlds thing) but it's not the definitive version of most characters.
>>
>>81205722

Because he's black and muh DCAU
>>
>>81205500
I like the most of DCAU.
I just can't stand it when people think it's literally the best thing ever, and DC should make all their comics, videos, shows, etc exactly like it.
>>
>>81205342
on one hand I do like Simon and Jessica and I'm glad they're finally getting some attention/development, but on the other hand there are too goddamn many human lanterns
>>
>>81205514
Kill yourself.
>>
>>81205463
>>81205794
>>81205827
Except it is the definitive version of a lot of the characters outside of the comics, especially with regards to Batman and Superman. Same goes for Flash. Hell, you could argue that it's the definitive Wonder Woman including the comics as well. It's also the only exposure a lot of people have to Martian Manhunter and it's an extremely faithful adaptation of his character too. Not to mention all of the other extremely well adapted obscure characters and storylines. I know the internet is for hate, but hating on the best DC related media outside of comics is kind of a bridge too far if you're a fan of the universe.
>>
>>81206199
>Same goes for Flash.

There is literally no version of Flash in the comics like the DCAU one. Kill yourself senpai.
>>
>>81206199

People aren't hating on it. People are hating on people who think it's the pinnacle of DC stories and want to force it into the comics
>>
>>81202363
>I’m looking forward to talking to him and getting his pumped and motivated to do great things.
Oh god, this is what's needed.

That's the thing, Vendetti just hasn't been excited about Green Lantern. I've talked to the guy at a con, he literally said he took GL because it was offered his way, and he would've rather have been the guy to follow after Geoff and stumble than to say no to Green Lantern. His heart just wasn't in it, nowhere near the way it is to his Valiant stuff, which the dude just lit up about.
>>
>>81205514
It's still weird to me that this gets so much backlash, it's an inspired pairing works on multiple levels. Bruce is the apex human being that transcends his limitations, a trait that Wonder Woman can't help but be drawn to. He also treats her with all of the objective respect she deserves and she knows he would have no qualms about dismissing her if he felt it warranted it. Wonder Woman is the feminine ideal and a literal goddess, qualifications that make sense to put cracks in Bruce's steely facade. They are both the best warriors on the team and share a similar ethos. If Bruce was ever to have a long term sustainable love interest outside of Selina, it would definitely be Diana. It just makes sense.
>>
>>81206240
Goofy animated Wally isn't that outside of the realm of the character's portrayal in the comics. Although comics Wally doesn't fuck around, levity is definitely one of his core traits.
>>
>>81206496
>It's still weird to me that this gets so much backlash
because it's stupid and hokey and Diana gets nothing out of it

>a trait that Wonder Woman can't help but be drawn to.
since when
>He also treats her with all of the objective respect she deserves
He treats her with the same respect he treats everyone he works with, wow!
> and she knows he would have no qualms about dismissing her if he felt it warranted it.
What the fuck does that mean?
>It just makes sense
no
>>
>>81206240

DCAU Wally is fine when you keep in mind he's new at it
>>
>>81206580
He was like Impulse-era Bart in a Flash suit with a tinge of Wally's womanizing.

Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>81206254
In a lot of respects it is the pinnacle of DC stories though. I understand where you are coming from with John Stewart, but hating on people for it being their favorite DC related thing and wanting more of it is a little bit much.
>>
>>81206636
I don't think he was bad, but he was basically a new character and definitely not close to "definitive" by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>81206610
I don't think you really get Diana if you don't think she would find the most badass mortal alive that could give two shits about wooing her attractive.
>>
>>81206636
>>81206670
>>81206766
He's not definitive but it is probably the best Flash portrayal outside of the comics. And when he was a JLA member the only big seven member who was lighter and goofier than he was was Kyle.
>>
>>81205659
>>81205993
>>81205616
Trinity is godship yes

Diana was literally designed for people like Bruce. Damaged man boys needing a mommy. control freaks with domination issues. Why do you think Rucka had her domming him?
>>
Holy shit, THCB is in the thread
>>
>>81206240
He's actually pretty similar to Baron/WML Wally. Though his stupidness is played up as more endearing in the show.
>>
>>81206199
If you think the definitive Flash is the DCAU version you're a fucking idiot. DCAU Flash is a gag character with a single important moment in the show.

Waid, and MAYBE Johns, Flash is is the definitive Flash. And it was *before* the DCAU.
>>
>>81207571
Who?
>>
>>81206787
I don't think YOU get Wondy, friend

Why the hell would she be interested in somebody that is not actually that interested in her and would only deign to be with her when he feels like it? That's retarded m80
>>
>>81207571
Literally who?
>>
>>81207895
>>81208041
annotator and story timer,also relevant here, a black Dude.

I wonder how long till desh is btfo
>>
>>81208041
hypercrisis autist
>>
>>81208299
source pls?>>81208418
>Johns hates legacy meme

did no one read his flash or jsa?
>>
>>81208633
>did no one read his flash or jsa?
>did /co/ read a comic?
what do you think
>>
>>81208091
There's literally no point though. They are bunch of autists Johnfags.
>>
why do you care about Desh and his opinions so much /co/
>>
>>81208633

my counter argument is name a series from this decade
>>
>>81202215
who/what the fuck is desh?
>>
File: 1388623397498.jpg (182 KB, 631x555) Image search: [Google]
1388623397498.jpg
182 KB, 631x555
>>81206199
>Except it is the definitive version of a lot of the characters outside of the comics,

DCAU pretty much ruined Johns character in the comics though. That shit put him into the "Black Marine Man" role that he's been shoehorned into now. It's been over 20 years since someone actually wrote John as someone good. Shit sucks.
>>
>>81211275
How many series did Johns have this dekade?

Flash and Justice Leauge and Vibe?
>>
>>81206496
>He also treats her with all of the objective respect she deserves
>They are both the best warriors on the team and share a similar ethos
Not really

Lol no, he had the gall to shit on her for Max Lord yet he ignored Selena for what she did to Black Mask, and don't bring the "He holds Diana to a higher standard" BS because he forgave Clark for what he did to the Phantom Zone criminals and Clark didn't have to apologize for it like Diana did for Maxwell Lord.

He also abused her Hiketea ritual and in the New 52 continuity they have little to no chemistry.
>>
>>81206199
>Hell, you could argue that it's the definitive Wonder Woman including the comics as well

WW fans would argue with that, DCAU WW was the worst version of WW.
>>
>>81213239
She was okay.
>>
>>81212829
Aquaman
>>
>>81211249
because he's fun to laugh at like the Jasonfag
>>
>>81202215
Venditti can eat a dick.
>>
I just want Hal to be happy ;_;
>>
>>81204112
I would too
>>
File: why.png (119 KB, 238x224) Image search: [Google]
why.png
119 KB, 238x224
>>81217262
LET HIM.. HAVE FRIENDS.. BE LOVED BY PEOPLE.. be bros with flash again, be bros with kilowog, fight with guy and give horrible advice to kyle, get into stupid shit and have john pull him out. LET HIM BE AROUND PEOPLE, not isolated in space! B(
>>
File: 1456032125271.png (389 KB, 971x702) Image search: [Google]
1456032125271.png
389 KB, 971x702
>>81218066
I just want a book where the GLC are buddies again and everyone's not at each others' throats. I miss bros being bros.
>>
As brutally savage as this was and I love seeing Desh get BTFO, I cannot sanction Venditti's buffoonery
>>
>>81218381
Putting all four of them in one book seems like it would be a good opportunity to bring back that camaraderie

I know it won't happen though, they'll probably end up hating each other more than ever
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.