[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading this series and all the tie in's,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3
Just finished reading this series and all the tie in's, and cant figure out if this was the best or worst thing I've ever read.
>>
>Tie-ins
>into 'Multiversity'

Um... are you from another universe? I am not saying you're not. I am just asking.
>>
>>81189516
Nice try, Empty Hand.
>>
>>81189626
I'm guessing he's counting 1-2 as the "series" and the rest as the tie ins
>>
>>81189786
Wow
>>
If this turns into a Hypercrisis thread I think I've got a pretty good contribution brewing.
>>
>>81189818

Why the fuck not, it's not like OP gave us a lot of material to discuss as it is.
>>
Instead of saying it was the best or the worst, let's just say it was okay.
>>
>reading multiversity even though it literally fucking tells you not to

idiots. are you trying to destroy the world you live in, or something?
>>
>>81189834

The main issues (#1 and #2) were fucking great.

The tie-ins ranged from god-tier to just "okay".

The Guidebook was pretty fucking cool
>>
>>81189848

The ideas that Morrison puts forth are not exactly new ones. They've existed in popular consciousness for awhile now. It's not like the Gentry are some brand new invented sin that has never been confessed.

The tools to defeat them are already here.
>>
>>81189818
Every Morrison thread is a Hypercrisis thread. Its Morrison Meme Magic!
>>
>>81189865
>Every thread is a Hypercrisis thread

Fixed that.
>>
>>81189850
They're not fucking tie ins, they're integral issues.

Just like Seven Soldiers.
>>
>>81189879

Sorry I used the wrong term.
>>
This is as far as I got why didn't you guys stop reading?!
>>
>>81189972
Because my hand is empty
>>
>>81189972

It's a double bluff. They WANT you to stop reading, but reading it is the only way to save the world.
>>
>>81189864
>>81189865
>>81189873
>>81190040

Alright here goes, not sure how verbose to get with it so sorry if I ramble. So the utter bewilderment at how Superman has been portrayed cinematically this decade really got me thinking. It's definitely disheartening and borderline unbelievable the way that the character has been portrayed. Superman is a relatively simplistic character whose defining traits of goodness are very easy to pinpoint and also directly contribute to him resonating in the public consciousness for so long. The fact that these traits are being ignored can very easily be attributed to changing times or apathetic capitalism. BUT, when you frame this borderline bastardization of arguably the most benevolent popular character within the context of the Hypercrisis, another explanation emerges that fits too well to be ignored. So, the Hypercrisis is real, and fiction is its own reality that affects our own in ways both subtle and obvious. Morrison crystallized these ideas over the past few decades and disseminated them to what I have to assume is the widest audience ever exposed to said ideas. The Hypercrisis is stronger than ever before as it grows in the largest consciousness imaginable. Superman gets reinterpreted as the new American mythology now that organized religion has finally lost it's foothold on the masses. When before he was dismissed as a frivolity for children, when the Hypercrisis takes hold he transcends his origins and becomes the symbol of light, goodness, and hope that has been sorely missing from the public consciousness. A beacon that reminds us of the power and strength that we all have within ourselves. SO, if these ideas of selflessness and hope for a better future actually gained a foothold in the minds of the masses, how would you snuff them out? By reinterpreting the character in a way that contradicts these notions and then unleashing him on an even larger scale. Cont.
>>
Thunderworld is the only good thing to come from this.
>>
>>81190611
Replacing the Sun God that will save us all and bring light to the world with a dour, dark, scary creature who does not even know how to help himself, let alone other people. Since the audience for movies vastly trumps that of the one where the true Superman exists, the character that was eliciting change as an avatar of Good as people came to the realization the lines between fiction and reality weren't as concrete as once believed becomes vastly overshadowed in the public consciousness by a twisted version of the character that is meant to propogate negative ideas and enforce the status quo that is leading us to oblivion. Now, I will concede that this is largely hypothetical and can be interpreted as grasping at straws. But if you think the Hypercrisis is real, that something isn't quite right with our world, that sinister forces might actually be pulling the strings and manipulating people away from ideas that would genuinely change the world for the better, then the way that Superman, the pinnacle of our potential for good and a hope for a better future, is portrayed should give you pause. The eternal struggle is happening, and the ultimate champion for good is being co-opted as a tool for evil.
>>
>>81190611
>>81190664
Your long-winded hypothesis relies on the idea that BvS Superman is evil or "not Superman", when in fact neither of those are true.

He's simply a version of Superman troubled by the world he lives in. Troubled by the people he's trying to protect. The people that consider him God. The people that consider him a curse, a danger, a murderer.
>>
>>81190756
He doesn't fucking smile, anon
>>
>>81190756
Look, you can try and defend the recent cinematic Superman all you want but the version of the character that you described is not the version that has existed in the public consciousness for the past 75 years. One only needs to do a cursory comparison between the comics and the recent movies to know that the characters are not the same.
>>
>>81189972
>I didn't buy two copies
You only end the world if you open BOTH copies, anon.
It's quantum bullshit we don't entirely understand but it seems to work.
>>
>>81190834
>>81190851
Your superficial arguements that Superman has to be silver age camp are biased. Superman doesn't have to be sunshine and rainbows. He just has to want to help people. Which is what we got in the films. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>81190931
Superman is sunshine. You don't understand the character.
>>
>>81190931
He doesn't have to be sunshine amd rainbows, but it's be nice if he could show more emotion than "vaguely constipated"
>>
>>81190956
Superman is a light in the darkness. That's not sunshine.

You only grasp one small aspect of the character.
>>
>>81190611
>>81190664
I remember when Hypercrisis theories were about comics and cartoons.

If we're moving on to live action shit now, then maybe it's time for us to go on hiatus for a while.
>>
>>81190956
not that guy but
NOT MUH!
>>
>>81190931
>smiling is Silver Age camp
Hello, Snyder
>>
>>81191129
Everything is Hypercrisis, though
>>
>>81190956
Then what is Apollo? Apollo smiles yes but he brutally proactively slaughters enemies and is seen as a dictator and terrorist. He's still a Superman.
>>
>>81191162
Nah.

Hypercrisis is /co/.

Live action is /tv/.

And /tv/ is cancer.

So now Hypercrisis is cancer.

And /co/ is cancer.

Because of you.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot.
>>
multiversity too when
>>
>>81191218
This summer I think?
>>
>>81191207
Hypercrisis is everything. You are the cancer.
>>
>>81191106
Sunshine is light in the darkness. You don't understand the character.
>>
>>81191180
A different character specifically designed to bear a similarity to Superman, but not Superman
>>
>>81191180
Apollo is a Greek god. He is not Superman.
>>
>>81191252
>Sunshine is the light in the darkness
So you can't see at nighttime ever?
>>
>>81191278
Light is light, it isn't the absence of darkness.
>>
>>81191263
No, now you don't understand the character, every universe has a Superman, Apollo was the Wildstorm Superman, he was in the Supermen of the Multiverse that beat Mandraak for fuck's sake.
>>81191273
Casual
>>
>>81191308
I don't even know where you're going with this now
Light doesn't just come from the sun dude, yes Superman is heavily tied to the sun but you're going full not muh here
>>
>>81191519
A Superman and THE Superman aren't the same thing, you donut
>>
>>81191549
He's a Sun God.
>>
>>81189972
I couldn't stop.

>Mahnke
>with competent color and inks

it was my favorite issue by far.
>>
>>81191519
I should come expect someone throwing around the word casual to cite lore incorrectly, but it still bums me out.
>>
>>81191232
Nah, it hasn't been solicited yet.
Only WW Earth One and TT Earth One are coming out this year as of right now
>>
>>81189850
>>81189879

Can someone fucking tell me what to read to get all the picture if Multiversity?
>>
>>81191708
The hardcover?

Unless you want the full picture, then the answer is "every comic Grant Morrison has ever written" or possibly "every comic ever"
>>
>>81190611
>Superman gets reinterpreted as the new American mythology now that organized religion has finally lost it's foothold on the masses. When before he was dismissed as a frivolity for children, when the Hypercrisis takes hold he transcends his origins and becomes the symbol of light, goodness, and hope that has been sorely missing from the public consciousness. A beacon that reminds us of the power and strength that we all have within ourselves.

Geez fuck man. Get out of your computer and actually talk with people.
>>
>>81191653
At least one is coming this year

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/07/11/grant-morrison-reveals-multiversity-too-and-batman-black-white-series-of-original
>>
>>81191791
You just took the time to copy everything I wrote in order to insult me for wasting my time. Get inside your own head and figure out what is causing this self loathing.
>>
>>81190664
>Since the audience for movies vastly trumps that of the one where the true Superman exists
The adjusted-for-inflation box office of the Donnerverse (e.g. ticket sales, meaning eyeballs) beats the world wide ticket sales for MoS and BvS (to date).

If you count television viewing world-wide, it will still probably triumph over BvS at the end of it's international/NA run.
>>
>>81192018
If you want to get pedantic that was four decades ago. There are twice as many people on the planet now.
>>
>>81191923
>doesn't know how quoting works
Is this a false flag post?

Please tell me that this is a false flag to make >>81190611 look even more like an /r/atheism reject.
>>
File: Apollo.jpg (176 KB, 425x940) Image search: [Google]
Apollo.jpg
176 KB, 425x940
>>81191581
But who is THE Superman then anon? Current?
Pre New 52? Pre Crisis? Seigel Shuster?Byrne? Red and Blue?
You're not thinking about this in a comic book sense at all, Superman is an essence just as much as he is a specific character
>>81191641
Apollo, not a Greek god, there is also Greek God Apollo but in a Superman thread we are talking about this one
>>
>>81192112
So once again you are ignoring the fact that you are telling someone to get off their computer while you are on your computer on the very same webpage as them? Do you want to actually try and refute anything I'm saying or are you content with feeling intellectually superior simply by insulting people? Also how can you claim to be an authority on getting outside and talking with people when you genuinely think identities are tied to webpages and your proficiency in them?
>>
>>81192194
>Superman is an essence just as much as he is a specific character

Excellent job attempting to be pedantic and then proving yourself wrong in less than a handful of sentences
>>
>>81192194
The one starring in Action Comics

Obviously
>>
>>81192289
Way to dodge the question, who is THE Superman?
>>
>>81192696
Way to ignore the anon who answered you >>81192344
>>
>>81192696
The essence that transcends all of the facsimiles, just like you said.
>>
>>81192344
I think anytime you write a Superman character you're still writing Superman regardless of universe
>>81192759
Oh so we agreed? Sorry.
>>
>>81192943
The only time you're writing Superman is when there's no qualifying "but"
Not Superman but evil! (Irredeemable)
Not Superman but edgy! (Apollo)
Not Superman but crazy! (Sentry)

Just Superman
>>
>>81192943
No we don't agree, it's just that you inadvertently proved yourself wrong. You think that there is an arbitrary delineation between Supermans of different universes or different eras and costumes but The Superman is both the source of all of these characters and an amalgamation that transcends them all. That "essence" you are talking about.
>>
>>81193065
What about Calvin Ellis or Superman Prime
>>
>>81193555
>Superman but black!
And Superman Prime is just Superman
>>
>>81193555
Superman Prime is what we are talking about. I refrained from bringing it up because you undoubtedly will see this as one version of the character when in reality he represents the distillation of the concept of Superman.
>>
>>81193671
I don't understand why you think I can't see a separation between one character and the distillation, however I think a better example of that is the Thought Robot
>>
>>81191207
Talk about missing the point.

Your need for borders and categories like a child who refuses to eat if the steak touches the mashed potatoes is irrational, you need to deal with that.
>>
>>81194277

Calm down, anon. All humans need to be able to categorize and name the things around them.

The problem comes when you have no space to adjust those categories based on new evidence.
>>
>>81191592
Gods create. Superman is a very powerful man. Hence the name. Man, but super.
>>
>>81194354
>All humans need to be able to categorize and name the things around them

I didn't mean it's wrong to categorize, I meant it's wrong to be as much of an asshole about it as the "adaptations aren't /co/" autists.

The whole POINT of the Hypercrisis concept is that it transcends books and connects everything in reality.
>>
>>81194441

And yet a big part of the Hypercrisis threads is being able to name and categorize heroes into larger archetypal roles.

What we're doing is essentially seeking to break down all narratives of the world into their prime factors.
>>
>>81189516
>cant figure out if this was the best or worst thing I've ever read.

normal reaction for Morrison's stuff
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.