[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does this mean for future DC cape films? I tried not to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 630x870) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 630x870
What does this mean for future DC cape films?

I tried not to let the negativity get me down about seeing BvS last night but even I have to admit the movie was well below my expectations.

This is the start for the Justice League series and I just hate how they're setting it up.

But no matter how much I dislike the movie, it's also breaking box office records.

Am I just going to have to accept the fact that I'm not going to enjoy the Justice League movies I've waited so long for?
>>
>>81182394
>What does this mean for future DC cape films?
That they're gonna be shit.
>>
>>81182394
I didn't even see BvS after MoS. Just keep enjoying the comics.
>>
when you see the other record holders for Easter that record seems less impressive.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/easter.htm
>>
It still needs to beat 800 million to break even. No fucks to give till then.
>>
>>81182492
It's more than halfway there, it's going to break even for sure.

It will probably fall short of the Avengers movies, though.
>>
>>81182492
>It still needs to beat 800 million to break even. No fucks to give till then.

It hit $424.1 worldwide in the first weekend. I think you'll eventually give a fuck.
>>
>>81182394
It means get used to Transformers-tier fans bragging about how much the movies make while completely ignoring how bad they are
>>
>>81182492
It's more than halfway there, it's going to break even. The question now is how long will it take for it to do that.
If it just barely makes it, then WB might wake the fuck up and do some retooling with the DCEU.
If it blows past $800 million and goes on to make $1 billion then Snyder isn't going anywhere and the JL movies will be screwed
>>
>>81182394
the "records" this movie is breaking are a joke, they're being created just for clickbait

Nothing big ever comes out this time of year, so smashing that record means shit

the movie opened simultaneously world wide, which inflated its opening gross. If you account for this its opening is smaller than several Marvel flicks

Basically, this flick will make 800mil. Enough that it won't be a failure, but still not what WB was hoping for/expecting.
>>
>>81182394
>>81182492
>>81182615
It's really bombing in China (the biggest Movie watching goers) and future numbers don't look good there.
The same place that loved Bayformers.

If this continues worldwide, then WB NEEDS to get rid of Snyder. For the sake of their future.
>>
>>81182758
WB should have canned Snyder after MoS, but that made enough money to warrant giving him the keys to the DC universe apparently.
>>
>>81182842

Actually MoS underperformed.
WB was probably just desperate to get the cinematic universe going that they were willing to overlook that because replacing Snyder would have delayed it even more.
>>
>>81182758
>It's really bombing in China

it made $57.3 million in the first three days there... thats not so bad desu
>>
>>81182976
For a blockbuster in china it kind of is.
They probably were expecting it ot open with a minimum of 100 million.
>>
Do people really think they're gonna scrap their long laid out plans? This movie didn't bomb and will make them enough money to justify it. They're too far in to look back now.
>>
no spoilers please
is BvS really that bad??
>>
>>81182933
Yea it under preformed because insane peoe thought it would make Dark knight simply by having Nolan's name attached to it.

Fucking Coke heads
>>
>>81182976
http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-batman-v-superman-fails-pack-punch/
>>
>>81183070
It some good scenes I liked such as Batman's fight with goons at the end.
But it tried to do WAY TOO MUCH. Too many plot-lines. Also, Lex isn't very popular.
>>
>>81183070
yeah. its a poorly edited dour mess. Not even coming from a i hate everything position.
I was okay with man of steel and really liked all the nolan trilogy movies as well as probably most mcu shit. I'm easy to please when it comes to comic movies. I just love seeing comic shit on film.

Batfleck was awesome. He owned the role and is in my opinion the best movie version of batman on screen yet. He pulls off the intensity yet reserved nature. He does cool batman shit (and some not batman shit that is not his fault).

Gal Gadot was actually cool as WW. She wasn't all over the place in the film, but when she did appear i dug her. Accent, action, costume and all.

Almost everything else i hated. The editing was atrocious with glaring fumbling jerky jumps from one scene to the next. Lex luthors characterization was just bad casting. I don't blame eisenberg cos its what he was brought in to do and they got what they wanted and it was a bad decision.
Superman was a depressing dour lump of a character the whole fucking film and the entire thing has this depressing tired feeling to it. Numerous characters are so jammed into this overstuffed bag of a movie some barely get established (alfred is criminally underused and essentially never does anything but talk alone to bruce wayne while sitting around wayne manor).
It had good MOMENTS. Cool action scenes (not the final one which was an ugly cg ridden mess). Mostly those scenes involve batman. But beyond those cool scenes it was just a drag and a dissapointment in pretty much every respect.

Oh except the score, the music was quite nice.
>>
>>81183028

It did better than Star Wars 7 ($52m).

Iron-Man 3 had a $64m opening there and they even shoved chink shit into the movie.

So yea, BvS numbers are far from "bombing".
>>
File: SuperPimp.jpg (190 KB, 573x654) Image search: [Google]
SuperPimp.jpg
190 KB, 573x654
>>81183070
Best comedy of 2016 so far.
I went with my sister and a few friends to see if it could possibly be worse than MoS and ended up crying with laughter within the first five minutes
10/10 would recommend if you enjoy bad movies or are a masochist
>>
>>81183070

If you like Bayformers you'll probably like it
>>
They need to push the JL movie back

And focus on a Batman solo flick.

And make sure Wonder Woman's production is good.
>>
>>81183233
I'm sure they enjoyed taking in your money
>>
>>81183233
I bet people love going to movies with you
>>
>>81183070
No, it isn't. It drags in some scenes and is overall probably too long of a movie, that packed a bit much in, but it's a solid movie still. The plot isn't retarded, the characters are set up pretty nicely, and it has a lot of good moments. I'd recommend seeing it and formulating your own opinion. I truly despised Man of Steel and came away from this film super pleased. At absolute worst I couldn't give it lower than a 6, 6.5 out of 10.
>>
>>81182753
>but still not what WB was hoping for/expecting.
Maybe when they started the project, but they released it this early for a reason: no competition.
>>
File: 1458719853216.jpg (23 KB, 502x502) Image search: [Google]
1458719853216.jpg
23 KB, 502x502
>>81183339
>The plot isn't retarded,
>>
>>81183070
It is a sick joke.
>>
File: smug kakyoin.png (147 KB, 254x252) Image search: [Google]
smug kakyoin.png
147 KB, 254x252
>>81183303
Eh, some friends were visiting for Easter and it was something to do as a group. Plus if we hadn't booked we wouldn't have been able to sit together.
>>81183322
>implying I was laughing loudly
>implying I was the only one laughing
>>
>>81183070
No. Lex Luthor can be annoying, but it's part of his character.

I hated Man of Steel and I liked this movie. Not loved, but liked.
>>
>>81182492
2 DAYS
>>
>>81183028
It was expected to open with 100 million minimum for the entire foreign market, the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>81183449
doesn't include marketing
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7206802
>>
>>81183070
In terms of making sense, being a cohesive story and hiding it's lowbrow pretentiousness, it did all of those poorly.
>>81183339
>the plot isn't retarded
what does it feel like to tell such a blatant lie.
>>
>>81182758
Cape movies always bomb there.
>>
>>81183449
>it's an episode where anon forgets that marketing costs money
>>
>>81183515
>no it was meh option
it's like you don't give a shit and just want to start a company war thread
>>
>>81182430
>I didn't even see BvS after MoS. Just keep enjoying the comics.
Isn't Rebirth a pseudo-revamp of them to realign with the movies a bit and also more classic DC at the same time?
>>
>>81183596
One of the first things Johns said was they were not making them like the movies.
>>
>>81183365
>>81183535
Okay, how is it?
>>
>>81182976
>it made $57.3 million in the first three days there... thats not so bad desu
Furious 7 opened with $182 million. AoU with $155 million. Ant-Man, almost 3 months after it came out, debuted with $42.7 million.

$57 million is a total bomb for WB and going to hurt their Global gross by leaps and bounds
>>
>>81183623
The tone of writer Steve Orlando’s Supergirl book will reflect that of the CBS show, and the Suicide Squad comic — drawn by Lee and penned by Rob Williams — stars film characters Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Killer Croc and Katana.

“We do realize we have the opportunity to really reach larger groups of potential readers and a lot of the casual fans who are watching the TV shows and movies,” Lee says.
>>
>>81183491
>>81183549
Or the fact that you get a fraction for the foreign box office.
>>
>>81182394
Pre-release expectations were twice that.
Even if the movie will perform okay, it won't perform as good as it was expected to, and causes serious problem in eroding public trust in DCEU brand. Those are problems, so Zack Snyder most likelywill be booted off future DCEU films regardless.
>>
>>81182565
Source, please.
>>
>>81183673
Feels like a little bit of a realignment with the live action media to me.
>>
>>81183491
and the box office doens't include product placements, commercial deals, etc
your point?
>>
>>81183718
Its studio estimates. Real numbers Mon/Tues depending on them taking Monday off because of Easter Sunday
>>
>>81183718
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm
>>
>>81183741
Jeep and maybe Microsoft Phone. Were there many others? WB owns CNN.
>>
>>81183673
Deadshot was on the Squad as long as it existed the way we know it, and Harley has been on it for last 5 years and a lot of people agreed that was one of best uses of her as a solo character.
>>
>>81183703
>Pre-release expectations were twice that.
[citation needed]
you dumb cunt are probably talking about the $300 million number. That was worldwide.
Domestic estimate was $150 mil. It made $170.
>>
>>81183741
>>81183698
>>
>>81183767
Turkish Airline was a big one
Dodge
Police(?) watches, etc
>>
>>81183800
Dodge owns Jeep...
>>
>>81182758
Where is this bombing in China thing coming from? It's WB's best opening ever in China
>>
I expected them to make more that just 400+ mil worldwide considering the long weekend and intensive marketing, also on par with SW:TFA.
Disappointing that the domestic box office is lower than worldwide since only a fraction of the worldwide box office counts.
Unless this makes 1.5 billion WB might rethink it's next step
>>
>>81182758

It's not. The Marvel movies only make about 100mil there with the exception of AoU
>>
Easter changes every year. Some years it's closer to summer, some years it's part of the March dumping ground.
>>
>>81183840
>>81183698
>only a fraction
>ITT: faggots who don't know what they're talking about
you make it sound like 2% or something
>>
>>81183768
uh...yes? I was simply quoting the interview.

>sorry I didn't use 4chan quotes
>>
>>81183836
The CFI article posted earlier in the thread gives a decent explanation

>Things will only get worse for what was supposed to be a gangbusters kickoff to Warner Bros.’ challenge to Disney’s wildly successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sunday saw a steep 33% drop at the box office, giving Batman v Superman RMB 372 million ($57.1 million) for the three-day weekend, according to initial reported figures, a bit below analyst expectations of $70-$80 million.

>Weekday drops will continue to hit the film hard, and increased competition from local films opening for the Tomb Sweeping Holiday next Friday are likely to see its box office receipts drop by a precipitous 80% or more in its second weekend. In the end, Batman v Superman’s box office receipts will likely crawl just over the $100 million threshold, far below initial predictions of $150-$230 million.
>>
>>81183895
cinemas make around 25% on the first week
>>
>>81183895
of course it's not 2% but definitely lower than domestic. The domestic makes the real money bro, no need to be upset.
>>
I get people hating this movie. I hated this movie. I don't feel the need to make constant threads about it, in fact i haven't bothered making one. But i was incredibly disappointed by this movie.

But why the fuck are people honestly trying to put forward the idea that this shit isn't going to be a success.

400 million world wide in its first weekend means the movie is doing incredibly fucking well people. The only movies i think that have bigger opening weekends are Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Iron man 3, and the two Avengers movies.
There are no losers in that category people.

So if you are just trying to make people who like the movie feel bad...well they aren't going to based on sales cos its doing fucking great.

And if you are trying to make yourself feel better pretending it wont make enough money and will either shitcan the DCEU or get snyder canned....sorry nope. He is making those fuckers their nut.
>>
>>81182492
>It still needs to beat 800 million to break even

Did they spend 550 mil on advertising or something? Either way you guys always forget about the product placement money on which they made a fuck load.

WB is going to rake it in with this movie, maybe not as much as Disney but Disney has always made more
>>
>>81183919
That whole article sounded way too dismissive. Not sure what they were honestly expecting but it seems unrealistic.
>>
>>81183112
>>81183668

>In the end, Batman v Superman’s box office receipts will likely crawl just over the $100 million threshold.

Only a half dozen movies made considerably more than $100m in China.
Just because a movie isnt one of those anomalies it doesnt mean that its a bomb.

Its like sayin that any movie that does less than $2b is a bomb cuz Avatar made 2.8
>>
>>81183959
Blockbusters common practice is to spend at least the budget on advertising
>>
Why do people keep mentioning china as if it is required for a movie to be a success. Yeah its a big market. And deadpool made 745 million dollars without China.

The idea that box office success REQUIRES overwhelming chinese support simply isn't the case. The last comic book movie to be released proved that shit.
>>
>>81183919
Interesting, I read a similar article on Forbes about the domestic drop off on Saturday and Sunday.

We're stuck in limbo now, just waiting to see what next week's totals are. Still it seems to me like $800 million is on the low end of the estimation. I feel like it will continue to do solid numbers until at least Jungle Book
>>
>>81183840
>Unless this makes 1.5 billion WB might rethink it's next step

Fuck me /tv/ and /co/ are going retarded with this now
>>
>>81183986

That still doesn't take them up to 800 mil
>>
>>81183668
>$57 million is a total bomb
You are a fucking idiot. You don't know what the word bomb means despite coming up with all those numbers. that makes you a fucking idiot. You did research but still failed to grasp even the framework of the idea you were trying to put forward.
>>
>>81184011
I'm not that anon, whatever the spent on budget it's AT LEAST that
>>
>>81183535
>>81183446
>>81183366
>>81183339
>>81183275
>>81183233
>>81183180
>>81183167
so.....did Terio do NOTHING?
>>
>>81184011
I don't know how box office money is split but I think it has something to do with that.
>>
>>81183927
>400 million world wide in its first weekend means the movie is doing incredibly fucking well people.
No, it means it's doing quite averagely for a movie of this scale considering almost no movie has a worlwide release date.
The domestic box office is actually lower than Iron Man 3.
>>
>>81183927
>cos
>...
Are you 12 or something?
>>
>>81183927
This movie is about Batman vs. Superman, two of the biggest names in comic book history and has a bigger name brand than Star Wars, and yet it is doing poorly than I should and is going to continue to get even worse as the days go by. This is just pathetic. Oh it might be successful in he long-run, but holy shit is the whole franchise going to be screwed by Snyder and his foolish handling of the DC properties.
>>
>>81184057
Yeah, that Iron Man 3 totally bombed too
>>
>>81184024
It is.
Age of Ultron made 240 million in China.
BvS is predicted to make about 100 million in China by the end of it's run.
>>
>>81184091
It didn't.
But DC's Avengers making less than Iron Man 3, which made 1.2 billion?
I'll be surprised if Justice League isn't Snyder's last movie.
>>
>>81184047
There's a stronger--read: present--sense of theme that wasn't there from anything else Snyder has done, so I attribute that to Terrio.

The problem is, of course, that Snyder fucks it up and beats you over the head with it. "DC heroes as gods" is, while not original in the slightest, still nice, but not when the movie can't go 5 minutes without shoehorning in some blatant mythology reference/"symbolism."

I did like the "blurry vision" motif, though; again, can't see anyone but an Oscar-winning writer coming up with that.
>>
Honestly as bad as the movie was I'd be surprised if it doesn't make its money back. Batman fights Superman, it's a spectacle.

The problem is they're trying to sell you a cinematic universe and people aren't going to keep buying your shit with that kind of payoff.

Basically Suicide Squad has to be magnificent for people to forget
>>
>>81184121
>Batman fights Superman, it's a spectacle.
Yeah, all 5 minutes the fight lasts.
>>
>>81184110
>DC's Avengers
That's Justice League.

And IM3 came hot off the heels of Avengers.
>>
>>81184135
Well, yeah, I'm talking about tickets sold on that premise
>>
>>81184140
No, Batman v Superman is practically Avengers because Superman, Batman and to some degree Wonder Woman are the ones people care about.
Avenger movies could do well without Black Widow, Thor or Hawkeye as long as Cap and Iron Man are there.
>>
>>81183995
>800 mil to break even
WB won't be happy with just 1 bil
>>
>>81184094
Still a fucking idiot. A BOMB has jack shit to do with not making as much money in china as Age of Ultron.
>>
>>81184160
That's DC's Trinity, man. And no they're not the only ones anyone cares about.
>>
>>81184094
>comparing the sequel to Marvels highly successful Justice League with a prequel to DCs Avengers

ok
>>
>>81184166
But it is a bomb.
China is the largest market in the planet, and it made less than a third of what BvS made in USA.
>>
>>81184164
>>800 mil to break even

That's not true just because you say it is anon
>>
>>81184197
not him, but it was forbes article about it
>>
>>81184188
Are you implying the masses care about Flash and Aquaman?
Because those two are the only additions JL will have.
>>
>>81184194
>But it is a bomb.

No it isn't
>>
>>81184211
In China it is.
It's also proof that DC just can't depend on the Chinese market.
They lost the biggest market in the entire planet.
>>
>>81184210
People will eat it up more for the iconic name and the team concept, like usual with these things.
>>
>>81183673
This doesn't really sound much different from the comics drawing influence from the adaptations in the past.
>>
>>81184210
What about the seven? I was told the seven would be united.
>>
>>81184197
http://comicbook.com/2016/03/16/what-batman-v-superman-needs-to-gross-to-break-even/
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2016/03/24/82178582/
http://theinterrobang.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-needs-gross-800m-break-even/
>>
>>81183767
>WB owns CNN
The thing to remember about advertising, is that even if you can put your own shit up "for free," some one was willing to pay you for that time as well. It's not a direct cost, but it is an opportunity cost. If someone would've paid you X bucks for that time slot, you better be able to argue to the bosses that whatever thing of your own you're advertising will make up for that "loss."
>>
>>81184225

You're comparing it to the only cape film that did well there
>>
>>81184197
It's pretty common for movies wanting to make at least twice the amount of what they spent.
Just like no one would buy a 1 million Ferrari just to sell it for $1.001.000
Yes, you get money, but it's not a worthy investment, you are risking more money than you are earning.
>>
How much did MoS end up making?
>>
>>81184254
500-600 I think
>>
>>81184114
hmm
so
does Snyder need a co-director?
or does he just need the axe?
or maybe a different editor for the movie
they had an extra YEAR, this film should have been perfect
>>
File: 1446065886252.jpg (157 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1446065886252.jpg
157 KB, 500x600
>>81184194
>6th biggest opening for a hollywood movie
>nope, its a disastrous bomb... DC IS FINISH
>>
>>81184272
The movie is a success, but it's a bomb in China.
Also, it's one of the few blockbusters that has been released worldwide at the same time.
>>
>>81184272
World wide, not domestic. US is where it counts and I'm not even from the US
>>
>>81184254

under 700 mil and WB still went ahead with BvS. WB are still going to go ahead with Justice League so who even cares?
>>
>>81184229
in the rest of the world, other than the big 3 basically nobody even knows one of JL members.
And they are doing movies about them
Shitty movies if they don't get decent directors
Good luck wih Green lanter club
>>
>>81184299
>under 700 mil and WB still went ahead with BvS
But because it was a success.
It made 668 million on a 225 budget.
>>
>>81184292
>The movie is a success, but it's a bomb in China.

6th biggest opening IN CHINA
>>
>>81184299
they can still change director
>>
>>81184292
A film cannot be a bomb in just one country unless it is only produced and released in that country. You are taking the word bomb and using it to describe something to which the word does not apply.
>>
>>81184319

And BvS has already made 424mil with a 250mil budget. They're still going to make Justice League, why do you all care so much? Do you have stock in WB or something?
>>
>>81184333
But it does make sense to say if a movie bombs in some places.
TFA made 2 billion, but it only made 52 million in China.
>>
>>81184319
no, because they have plans for a DCCU and they needed a starting point, expecially since Nolan wound't do another batman
>>
>>81184267

He just needs the axe. Snyder keeps trying to do something he clearly has no ability at, mixing blockbuster films with deeper thematic elements. He refuses to learn from his mistakes and keeps doubling down on them, this is a poisonous relationship that will only get worse.

Get George Miller or Ben Affleck or fucking Patty Jenkins in there, I don't give a shit. Maybe they can use the Warner/Harry Potter connection to bribe Alfonso Cuaron into doing it for a Nolan style blank-check deal for whatever original projects he wants to do.
>>
>>81184332

By next week? The cast and crew are already in England
>>
>/co/ incharge of understanding film industry
Rule of thumb: If the movie makes twice it's production budget worldwide, it is breaking even.

>inb4 advertising
>inb4 product placement
>inb4 China
>>
>>81184317
That really doesn't change anything I just said though about why people will care about it.

>Shitty movies if they don't get decent directors
You could say that about any movie.
>>
>>81184267
Snyder is just really bad, and what Terrio "provided" wasn't exactly inspired.

It's just another example of thinking something's smarter than it actually is. I actually think it's a better film than MoS, but that's like saying stepping on a rusty nail is better than cactus sodomy.
>>
>>81184322
And a Batman vs. Superman movie should have done a hell of a lot greater than a Fast and the Furious movie. It's also losing viewers as the days go by.
>>
>>81184319
>It made 668 million on a 225 budget.
Really? okay cool MoS made 668 mill on a 225 budget in its entire life to date
thus far BvS has made 424 million on a 250 million dollar budget over a single weekend.

So what is your point if you are going with pure box office and pure listed production cost?
>>
>>81184351
but TFA had big internal gross
>>
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/27/where-batman-superman-wonder-woman-ant-man/#19faf8517487
>>
>>81183673
So? The tone of the CBS Supergirl show is the same tone as classic Supergirl stories before they started trying to make her an angsty bitch the past few years.

They're not making anyone act like they do in Snyder's films so what the fuck is the worry?
>>
>>81184371
my point is: they won't sell with name alone like this one
>>
>>81184366

/co/ and /tv/ doesn't even know how hollywood accounting works and they forget about the product placement money. They probably made back half the production (Not the marketing) at least before they sold a ticket
>>
>>81184406
Says you?

HA

OKAY
>>
>>81182394
Oh Boy, BvS poised to beat Ant-Man!
>>
>>81184375
>And a Batman vs. Superman movie should have done a hell of a lot greater than a Fast and the Furious movie.

Says who?

It already made more money than Dark Knight Rises in its whole run there and will prolly break MoS china boxoffice by the end of this weekend.
>>
>>81183275
>If you like Bayformers you'll probably like it
No fuck you lying trash.
>BF's action sucks, has no weight and is offen incoherent visually while Mos/Bvs's battles are mythic and visually phenomenal.
>BF's spend zero time with characters while Mos/Bvs spent their entire first halfs following the cast with not much a action at all.
>All the BF's has had no proformances of note or even serviceable most of the time while the entire cast of mos/Bvs (minus Jesse) are at worst good in their roles.
>BF'S has racist, sexist, trashy sex & bathroom humor
>Female cast of BF do all of jack shit, while WW is universally agreed to be the end best part of BVS and Amy was key part of Clark's story in MOS and his learning to put more faith in people.
>>
>>81184375
>It's also losing viewers as the days go by.

Every movie ever
>>
>>81184397
literally marveldrone: the article
>>
>>81183623
I don't know why you guys act like this is new.

Some parts of the New 52, like Shazam or Justice League, were set up to be the tentpole stories for adaptations. We won't get Fawcett Captain Marvel, but you will definitely see Geoff John's Curse of Shazam.
>>
>>81184390
Due to assloads of people watching it several times, it got people in the seats and wanting to come back for more. Can BvS do the same?
>>
>>81184464
well, if dc fans are really at the desperate level of the star wars ones, they sure might
>>
>>81184440
Yeah forbes are pretty biased in marvels favor you fucking idiot.
>>
>>81184430
>BF's action sucks, has no weight and is offen incoherent visually while Mos/Bvs's battles are mythic and visually phenomenal.

Did you leave for the bathroom during the Doomsday part?

I can understand if you did, they serve those giant drinks at the theater and 2:30 is a long time to hold it in...
>>
File: 1446062677642.jpg (157 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1446062677642.jpg
157 KB, 500x600
>Marvels 2nd movie
>Worldwide: $263 million

>DCs 2nd movie
>Worldwide: $424+ million

WE DID IT FAMILIA
>>
>>81184011
Cinemas take about 50% of ticket sales.
>>
>>81184514
I could easily get hype for SS if there wasn't fucking harley quinn, it's like if they gave us Gunn's guardians of the galaxy movie and made Iron Man or Angela the protagonist
>>
This is all we need to do to keep things on track but improve it at the same time.
>Get a editor who follows every aspect of the film to make sure the story/film flows and makes sense together, one consistent complaint that I have heard is that the film is too random and that scenes don't flow into each other at all.
>Get someone to oversee everything with experience with the characters, Bruce Tim maybe, so he can put his foot down on stupid stuff like the only reason they stop fighting is because their mom's both have the same name.
>When Superman comes back after the whole potential Evil Superman is done, Drop the monotone depressed vibe, people are now hating on Cavill as not being able to do anything else while I'm 90% sure it's Zach ordering him to be as Alien/Dr Manhattan as possible.
>Order Zach to drop the religious shit, I like it in MOS, but it's giving faint validity to the fuckers calling it pretentious, and to some audiences it's making a joke of the filmss.

Doing these things, will allows us to keeps Zach and the awesomeness he brings to the table (scope, mythicness, visuals) while reigning in the other issues.
>>
>>81182394
>Snyder isn't going to be fired
Cavil is good, Affleck is good, Gadot was surprisingly not bad (granted she didn't do much), I feel like the real issue with the whole thing was Snyder's clusterfucked mind not being able to do anything more than EFFEX
>>
File: just zack my shit up.jpg (15 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
just zack my shit up.jpg
15 KB, 456x320
>>81184656
Let me know when BvS surpasses Thor: The Dark World. That's a nice, attainable goal for you.
>>
>>81184442
>We won't get Fawcett Captain Marvel, but you will definitely see Geoff John's Curse of Shazam.

Well, that's depressing. Not saying Curse was bad, but it's definitely one of the weakest Shazam runs. I'd much rather prefer something like MSoE if they're going to make a movie out of it.
>>
>>81184690
For what purpose?
Wouldnt it make more sense to compare Dark World with something like the Aquaman movie?
>>
>>81184373
hmm i see
i quite loved MoS honestly.
>>81184354
>Snyder keeps trying to do something he clearly has no ability at, mixing blockbuster films with deeper thematic elements.
sounds about right.
i like what synder wants to accomplish but he's not very good at it
>>
>>81184745
I don't know if DC can compete at that comparison though.
>>
>>81184375
I wonder if the fact that it's Easter had anything to do with the domestic drop off on Saturday and especially Easter Sunday.

The upside is BvS gets a whole week where the kiddies are out of school. I imagine Zootopia will get a nice bump as well
>>
>>81184925

>I wonder if the fact that it's Easter had anything to do with the domestic drop off on Saturday and especially Easter Sunday.

It should be the exact opposite, holidays are big business for theatres.
>>
>>81184925
>I wonder if the fact that it's Easter had anything to do with the domestic drop off on Saturday and especially Easter Sunday.

No. They get more business.
>>
We know the opening. That's fine and all. It's a big weekend, a very successful one, no one can deny that.

The real question is if it has any legs. If it takes a huge drop like MoS did then it could be in trouble.
>>
>>81185015

There's nothing big coming out until the Jungle Book, which is mid-April. It could have decent legs if only because of lack of competition.

It's not like 10 Cloverfield Lane or The Witch are really going to eat into the box office of a big fish like BvS.
>>
>>81184943
I think anon was saying if what's happening is similar to what would happen to a movie if you scheduled it on, say, Thanksgiving. It's a holiday, but traditionally a holiday where people are doing things besides having time to go to movies. I don't actually know what most people do Easter Sunday in the US. There's Church for a large section of the populace, but that's not all day.
>>
>>81185015
Man of Steel had a huge drop because of Monsters University and World War Z.
BvS has no competition in the next 3 weeks, so theres no excuse to fail.
>>
> I don't actually know what most people do Easter Sunday in the US. There's Church for a large section of the populace, but that's not all day.

Go do something big with a large number of family members, like say all go to the movies.

I'm serious, pretty much every holiday is juicy business for movie theatres.
>>
>>81182394

>incoming great than 70% drop in week two
>>
>>81185103
>>81185151
I think you're overestimating the effect of lack of competition to boost ratings, especially in a pre-summer environment. Those pre-summer records are so low for a reason. If people don't want to see any movies, most of them just won't go to the movies.

Overlapping releases in the same genre/target audience can definitely hurt ratings, but the opposite is far from necessarily true. It's not like every month is a blockbuster waiting to be claimed; sometimes there's just nothing good out. And only teenagers desperate for a distraction from the awkwardness of their first date will show up.
>>
>>81183339
>Super pleased
>I give it a D
lmao
>>
>>81185129

Most businesses are owed on Easter Sunday EXCEPT movie theaters.

Guess we're families with nothing to do flock too?

This isn't anecdotal either. Look up the numbers yourself on BOM
>>
>>81185103
>>81185151

Those films aren't going to eat BvS grosses, but that doesn't mean that people will go see BvS either. If MoS was a quality film, it would have still faired well against MU and WWZ. It wouldn't have had a 65% drop.

BvS is already dropping in the day to day, on a holiday weekend. It's not a good sign.
>>
>>81185225
Closed, not owed.

Fuck you auto correct
>>
>>81182394

>no matter how much I dislike the movie, it's also breaking box office records.

So what? Why care?
>>
>>81184319

Keep in mind that WB whored out the Superman property to everything from razors to Hardee's for almost $180 million in licensing deals even before the film was released. If not for that, $668 million for a film that cost $225 million to make would have been considered a pretty poor return on investment.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 cost about that much for Sony to make, made $709 million, and still put Sony in a bad enough position that they cut a deal with Disney.
>>
>>81182394

Snyder will likely be booted but WB dodged a bullet for the time being. They will likely hire some directors and continuously tell people that the future movies are going to be lighter. In fact they are already doing that.

But people loved Batfleck and liked WW so they came out looking good.
>>
>>81183743
>>81183718
Estimates are estimates; they may be accurate or not but it's worth knowing what they contain before jumping to conclusions.

At least $24m was raised in early domestic screenings on Thursday night (double what Man of Steel made on prerelease screenings the Thurs before it's own opening weekend, which were then added to that weekend to pad it). So you can take $24m off that estimate for the 3-day result, which is what you're really going to have to work from to predict weekend 2's results because the following Thurs lacks the hype factor. That leaves you with let's call it $145m, which is still respectable but lower than they'd hoped for, and is probably lower than Furious 7's opener, and not that much higher than Man of Steel's 4-day total (though higher than the 3-day by some way, a lot of that is down to ticket price inflation since 2013).

From that 145 we can extrapolate a 7-day of 217, a 30-day of ~400, a 60 day of ~430-450, and a 90-day not much higher than that. The international in this classic model (week bringing in 50% of the preceding weekend, each successive 7-day bringing in 50% of the one before) would more or less mirror the domestic, for a final total considerably under a billion.

If it performs more like Man of Steel, of course, that dropoff will be much steeper week to week and result in a total ~$800m.

>>81183741
Product placement and commercial deals aren't free money. Commercial deals in particular only pay out over a certain number of sales; if your Denny's breakfasts are shitty and nobody orders enough of them, it still actually cost you money to set all of that up. Product placement in particular is a great way to help with set dressing and transportation - the Jeep deal might well just be how they arranged for mechanical development of the new Batmobile, meaning the money Jeep sank into the production would just be money WB didn't have to spend developing a prop, rather than a fat stack of cash to roll around in.
>>
>>81182394
Nothing, I fucking hate this thinking "People dont go to see films at this time of year"

Fuck off, if its a holiday, people are going to go see a film if one is on.
>>
>>81186109

2017 is going to see if that holds true, there's pretty much a tentpole every month along with 6 huge comic book movies
>>
>>81186098
Just to add to this: one reason successive weeks and even weekend and evening showings are less profitable is because there are more concessionary rates after that initial weekend, without which it would be hard to convince a lot of cinemagoers to turn out for the movie. These are a different breed to the fanboys who make up the initial showing and often have very different tastes, but they are still a significant and necessary target audience for any large-scale release. It is they who determine how a film's grosses fall over successive weeks - if they don't come in large enough numbers, your grosses fall and as a result, cinemas start moving you to smaller and fewer screens and then removing you altogether, starting around the second week.

These are people like full or part-time students, the unemployed, families, retirees, and others who often gain concessions simply by turning up when nobody else is going to, such as during working hours. They're very valuable to theater chains because they help keep the business going, but they don't necessarily add a great deal to an individual movie's gross. Whereas on the first three days you'd expect to pay full price for a 3D extravaganza, these people will get in for much lower rates to see the same film in the same theater at an otherwise inconvenient time of day. However without them a movie must necessarily be pulled early and replaced with something that can draw in a weekday crowd, which means lower overall availability, which means a lower gross from successive weekends.

Even when you have the first weekend of data it's still foolish to assume you know how things will go in the following four days (and the following three months); if the proles don't like it, you're going down, and a big opener doesn't equate to a billion dollars.
>>
>>81184110
Snyder's name is attached to too many things that were popular now, they'll keep spinning him for years.

Look at Shymalan, he's still trucking despite everything.
>>
>>81185220
At absolute worst, as in the lowest I could see someone feasibly giving it.

'Sides, that's still leagues better than most capeshit adaptations.
>>
>>81182394
>But no matter how much I dislike the movie, it's also breaking box office records.
Wait until the second/third weeks to see if this really has legs
>>
>>81182758

It did like 50 million, which is not that bad, and that's without shooting an egregious "oh hey suddenly the story shifts to China for no fucking reason for five minutes!" alternative scene just to bait Chinese audiences to go see the movie, like Marvel has done with, iirc,Iron Man 3 and AoU.
>>
>>81188697
>Iron Man 3
What was that one again? If I recall, it was something exclusive to the China showings.
>AoU
That was Korea.
>>
>>81183927
It's not that this isn't going to be a success, it's that it's not going to be near a success as DC probably wants it to be.

ASM2 was considered a success on all levels too but look what happened? It was also thought to be an underperforming mess that nobody liked either.

Now I'm not comparing BvS to ASM2 (even though they have a couple of the same problems) but this is fucking Batman and Superman, the most iconic DC characters. Realistically, this should be blowing the fuck out of every comic book movie before it but it didn't even beat Iron Man 3's domestic, let alone Avengers. This movie needed to break a billion and has the iconic characters in it needed to, but it really remains to be seen if it actually will
>>
>>81185398
Sony has had financial troubles for years, that's why they put their original HQ offices on sale and have been trimming costs across the board. their film studio wing was banking hard on Spider-man 2 being a success, yet it was the worst selling Spidey movie they had made to date. That is why they made a deal with Disney, they needed the money and it's far lucrative to give Marvel's hype machine do all the heavy lifting when they get still a piece of the pie, than it is to risk another bad investment with even greater diminishing returns after twice under performing to their expectations
>>
>>81182394
They just need to take my idea for a Doctor Fate movie.

Kent Nelson (David Wenham) comes into the possession of the helmet of Nabu, and is transformed into Doctor Fate. He then learns about magic from Zatanna Zatarra (Zooey Deschannel) to combat the evil of Cthulu and his minions from destroying the world and sending it into madness.
Clive Owen as the voice of Nabu
Get some random B or C lister to play the part of Inza, who happens to know about Zatanna and introduces Nelson to her at a magic show

End credits scene shows John Constantine putting out a lit cigarette into the skull of a dead Cthulu minion
>>
>>81183070
It's absolutely nowhere near the levels of bad people are saying. I see people keep bringing up that it's jerky and difficult to follow as a result but it really wasn't very challenging at all, and the motivation for the conflict was handled pretty well.
Doomsday definitely looks very disappointing though and has a pretty lacklustre introduction after ample opportunity to set it up properly, and is as a result a let down of a third act villain.
I liked Luthor, he's just not the Luthor anyone would expect but he has a pretty nice vibe and comes across as intelligent and corrupting. The Ledger comparison are fucking stupid and inaccurate - his performance is frenetic but completely different in characterisation.
It feels like a Wes Anderson film with the amount of intros and endings it has, but I didn't feel that was a bad thing; it tries/ has to cover a lot.
I really enjoyed it but I can see the issues people had. I don't believe those reasons make it half as bad as people claim though.
>>
DC makes some great shows, but the movies fail pretty hard. Hopefully they'll focus on what they're good at: action dramas like Flash and The Arrow, and stop wasting money on what they're not.
>>
>>81183673
>Steve Orlando’s Supergirl book will reflect that of the CBS show
So... like classic Supergirl then?
>>
>>81189742
I thought hosts have Nabu's knowledge and shit, no need to train?
>>
>>81182394
Ask the Transfotmers fans, they have a decade of expetiencie with shit like this
>>
>>81184047
He didn't rewrotte the script.
>>
>>81182430
This.
Read the comics, rewatch the DCAU. Partaking of the movies post MoS and considering the problems of BvS cited and corroberated by numerous voices of differing interests and backgrounds just does not interest me. I had people come in to work today and barring the girl who admitted to enjoying it for the eye candy, the guy who told me he liked it admitted there were a lot of problems with it after talking with me for just a couple of minutes.
>>
File: 1458956673524.jpg (35 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
1458956673524.jpg
35 KB, 600x330
>>81182394
And here's a new record the movie's breaking!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#883bebb6d72c

>Things were far worse in North America than in China. You couldn’t have emptied North American theaters where the movie screened faster if you’d yelled ‘fire’ in the middle of the auditoriums.
>Batman v Superman has set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern North American box office history. In dropping 55% from its $82 million Friday debut to its $37 million gross on Sunday, it pummeled all prior records for weakness in theatrical staying power. It even beat the nearly universally reviled and now long-forgotten Fantastic Four reboot, which dropped a comparatively modest 48% across its opening weekend in the summer of 2015.
>>
>>81191240
SAVE MEEEEE
>>
File: 1453960796002.jpg (53 KB, 477x506) Image search: [Google]
1453960796002.jpg
53 KB, 477x506
>>81191240
>>
>>81191240
kek
>>
>>81183555
the "no" option encompasses both liking it and thinking it was meh, anon
it just said "no," not "it was a a piece of shit"
>>
>>81182394
Watch Marvel films. Watch DC cartoons.

Don't mix up the two.
>>
>>81183623
>they were not making them like the movies
And yet Suicide Squad rebirth is the movie time with movie designs.
>>
>>81185129
Worked at a theater for years, and Thanksgiving was always one of our busiest days. Most families go see a movie after Thanksgiving dinner since it's something you can do as a group and is one of the only places open on holidays. Don't know if that's still the case now that Black Friday as become Black Thanksgiving Afternoon.
>>
>>81183070
Nowhere near as bad as /co/ makes it out to be. Go watch it by yourself and form your own opinion. Since you seem willing to give it a chance, you will probably like it.
>>
>>81183969
The article is written by a well informed Chinese annalist. Ant-man pulled $105 million, Guardians with $96 million; both complete unknown titles to the Chinese unlike AoU with $240 million. IM3 did $122 million and TWS was $115 million.

Barely over $100 million for a 4 week run with two giant characters like Superman and Batman is a disaster. He's right, $150+ million minimum is what WB expected and will fail to achieve. It's a bomb for China. TFA did so poorly because China likes white male leads which the two "main" characters are not for SW and are for BvS. Affleck alone they know the name of, but he still wasn't a draw for BvS.
>>
>>81192166
EMH was decent famalia
Spectacular too
>>
>>81191240

How will /tv/ spin this?

They're pretty much rallying behind this
>>
>>81193893
>critics and audiences don't appreciate muh capekino
>>
>>81183718
Production Budget: $250 M

Box Office estimates:
~$424.1 M [170.1 US + 254.0 intl] (first weekend)

== $ 7.0 M [---------- 7.0 intl] (Wednesday)
== $ 85.7 M [27.7 US + 58.0 intl] (Thursday)
== $104.6 M [54.3 US + 50.3 intl] (Friday)
== $226.8 M [88.1 (50.9 Sat + 37.2 Sun) US + 138.7 intl] (first Sat & Sun)

**marketing/advertising budget $150 M already recouped through licensing/tie-ins (doritos, pepsi, dodge, turkish airlines, etc.)
>>
>>81193756
>spectacular too
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. EMH was just decent.
>>
>>81192722

Fellow theater worker here

Still the case. We're still the only place open. If anything, it got worse since they finish their shopping earlier.

Could just be a placebo thinking. We're always too fucking busy on holidays to tell the difference in the moment. I haven't looked at the numbers.
>>
>>81193926

What the hell is this kino shit.

I stop browsing TV for a week to avoid Daredevil spoilers, come back and no other whole damn board is spouting it.
>>
>>81194120
le new epikk ironic maymay to distinguish them from reddit
>>
>>81194120
kino = German Cinema
The term is (regularly) used to refer artful cinema, as well.
>>
>>81184090
>has a bigger name brand than Star Wars

Not really.
>>
>>81182554
yeah except it dropped over 50% from Friday to sunday that pace continues it's doomed
>>
>>81182394
I thought the movie was great and I'm glad to see that the critics couldn't kill it. Everyone in my group loved it, and there were a lot of kids in the audience and they were all loving it too, which genuinely surprised me in a good way. It's a very plot and character heavy movie, and most of it is buildup to the climax, which I think is a boon to the movie and not a shortcoming.

If you hated Man of Steel and loved Age of Ultron then you are going to hate BVS just as much as Man of Steel, but if the reverse is true then I'm pretty sure you are going to love BVS.
>>
>>81183927
The movie was suppose to be the next Titanic or Avatar it ended up being the next Transformers there isn't any scenario where that's a "success"
>>
>>81195406
>if you are a stupid Marveldrone you'll hate it but if you're a superior DC patrician you'll appreciate the capekino
>>
I fucking loved BvS, but the biggest problems I had were definitely with the direction and editing in terms of how all the plots and character arcs were stitched together, and the Justice League teasers a lot of times detracted from the overall main narrative of the movie.

So while I liked BvS a lot and will defend it, it is worrying if DC/WB decides to plow ahead without either reining in Snyder or replacing him with someone that won't draw as much controversy.
>>
I don't see why everyone hated the editing... Personally, it felt like I was reading a comic when I saw it theaters. Each scene being a moving panel, the transitions, etc.
>>
>>81195406
>I'm glad to see that the critics couldn't kill it

You're right.

Critics didn't.

The audience did though.

>>81191240
>>
>>81195556
>the Justice League teasers a lot of times detracted from the overall main narrative of the movie
That was my biggest beef with the movie and it was also my biggest beef with Iron Man 2. I still love BVS but I think that we could have done with a little less world building and franchise setup for the sake of trimming things down and keeping the focus on Batman and Superman.
>>
>>81195629

The main problem with the editing was how they included the dream sequences and the JL previews and cameos. Recontextualize or drop them and the rest of the movie would be streamlined considerably.
>>
>>81195629
That's why people don't like the editing and pacing.

Most people don't read comics so they aren't used to that sort of thing, and comics aren't movies and movies aren't comics. They're two totally separate mediums that need to be done differently.
>>
It's Bayformers all over again. These shitty movies will make money so they have no insensitive to make something different.
>>
>>81195682
>I still love BVS but I think that we could have done with a little less world building and franchise setup for the sake of trimming things down and keeping the focus on Batman and Superman.

It's painful for me to admit that because I LOVED the way it set up Darkseid and other parts of the DCU on its own, but they don't do a good job of justifying a lot of them within the context of the main narrative.

I would totally keep the Knightmare sequence/Flash's warning, Lex's experience with Apokalips and his breakdown in jail at the end though.

I would just remove the JL clips that we watch that for some reason they stuck in the middle of the big fight between Batman and Superman.
>>
>>81195406
Except critics and bad word of mouth ARE killing it.
It's dropping considerably and is going to have a horrible second and third week.
>>
File: batman v superman box office.jpg (225 KB, 883x630) Image search: [Google]
batman v superman box office.jpg
225 KB, 883x630
>>81195660
>>81195786

Nice damage control. :^)
>>
Why are marvelfags so salty? It's not like nobody is going to go see Civil War in a month or whatever now.
>>
>>81184537
A B S O L U T E L Y D I S G U S T I N G
no they don't dumbass
>>
>>81182394
>This is the start for the Justice League series and I just hate how they're setting it up.
Answer; How is this worse than how it was set up in:
Nu52
JLA WAR
JL TAS
Pretty much every adaptation of the justice league, and the comic itself.
>>
>>81195719
Snyder did a good job with the editing in my opinion, but people seem to want the MCU pseudo camp style better.

People might have something against reading, and comic books because it was ingrained into them, the idiot box and youtube practically tell them that "readung is 4 gays".
>>
>>81196073
None of those were very good. JL:TAS's opening was okay at best.
>>
>>81196073
>Seriously comparing this to JL TAS

Don't be a fag
>>
>>81184090
You're drunk if you think Batman and Superman have more pull than Star Wars.
Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.