[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for stuff to read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: k8vEBoCW[1].jpg (24 KB, 748x748) Image search: [Google]
k8vEBoCW[1].jpg
24 KB, 748x748
Hey, i recently got into comics and wanted to expand my marvel knowledge. So far i've read:

- Avengers Dissasembled
- Civil War
- House of M
- The Infinity Gauntlet
- God Loves, Man Kills
- Demon in a Bottle
- Iron Man: Extremis
- Marvels
- The Vision (the current one)

What else can i read from Marvel?
>>
>>81174805
Are you interested in anything in particular?
>>
>>81174870
This, give us stories you liked/characters you're into and we can help you more.
>>
Recs thread?
Recs thread.

OP, read some Claremont X-Men.

I'm looking for a good starting point for Cosmic Marvel. Preferably in Silver Age or early Bronze.
>>
Matter of fact. Here you go OP

http://comraderecs.wikia.com/wiki/Comraderecs_Wikia
>>
>>81174805
I'd say give Wolverine MAX a shot, it's bretty gud. My War Gone By and Punisher MAX are also very well made.

Just gonna slide in some DC because I'm a cheeky bastard, but I'm 8 issues into Hitman and it's been extremely good.
>>
File: Thanos.png (1 MB, 1280x1399) Image search: [Google]
Thanos.png
1 MB, 1280x1399
>>81174973
Here you go.

>>81175049
Fuck off. OP only asked for Marvel. We don't need to have DC in every Marvel thread (or Marvel in every DC thread) because comics are a game with dozens of players, not only the big two.
>>
>>81175177
Hey, I only recommended something DC because I think Hitman is good, not because I love DC or something.
>>
>>81174870
Well, gonna write a bit about what i've experienced:
Previously my marvel knowledge was basically from the cinematic universe and the X-men animated series.
The stories i loved the most so far are: Marvels, The infinity gauntlet and God loves, man kills.
Extremis is pretty good for all that it brings to iron man.
House of M i found it an enjoyable mess, just like avengers dissasembled.
Civil War well, i know it's endless arguing territory but i liked several parts from it while there was others i couldn't care less (like thunderbolts and x-factor stuff)
The current Vision comic grabbed me from the start. i find it hauntingly amazing.
>>
>>81175049
i'm not mad at DC recs, but i haven't read a lot of DC. i can list them too though:
- Batman: Year One
- TDKR and TDKSA
- All-Star Superman
>>
>>81175243
It's not really going to further your Marvel knowledge much, but check out Marvel 1602. Same sort of vibe as Marvels where it just sort of explores the conception of the universe as a whole, and is written by Neil Gaiman, who is known for other good works, mostly DC oriented.
>>
>>81175231
If you're going to break the rules, but DC is the _only_ publisher that you're willing to break the rules for, then you're part of the problem.
>>
File: Marvel_1602_Vol_1_1.jpg (99 KB, 477x733) Image search: [Google]
Marvel_1602_Vol_1_1.jpg
99 KB, 477x733
>>81175334
>>
>>81174805
Starting recommendation threads is frowned upon on 4chan in general.
>>
>>81175315
I'd say give Hellblazer a shot, specifically Dangerous Habits. It's only six issue, but hot damn is it good. If you like Batman, you can't go wrong with Earth One, and The Killing Joke ain't half bad.

Back on the Marvel side, try out Frank Miller's Daredevil, it's probably the best DD stuff out there. It's all collected into 3 volumes, so it's easy to buy/download.
>>
>>81175412
Not always true, /his/ will dump entire libraries on you.
>>
>>81175342
It's not though, I just said Hitman because I was reading it a couple of minutes ago.
If I had thought of them, I would have recommended Sheriff of Babylon or Southern Bastards.
>>
Can rarely go wrong with Daredevil. Miller and Bendis are good places to start. Also, Morrison's New X-men is pretty great.
>>
>>81174805
Gerbers Man-thing
Jenkins Inhumans
>>
>>81175499
>Sheriff of Babylon
This is DC (just so you know).

>Southern Bastards
If you had been recommending DC and Image and Dark Horse and Boom and Fantagraphics and more, then I could at least respect you for your boldness and brashness.

But instead
>What's that? A Marvel thread? I absolutely ~MUST~ start bringing up DC, because no thread with one is complete without the other!
is how we get /co/ overrun with console wars.
>>
>>81175629
You could be pedantic and count Vertigo as DC, yeah.
And so far, you're the only guy starting company wars shit, so I'm gonna stop responding.
>>
>>81174973
I know you said Silver/Bronze Age, but you should read Annihilation through Thanos Imperative.
You can read the epilogue to Thanos Imperative too, but that will probably just make you mad
>>
>>81175448
They have a very different userbase and traffic level.
>>
>>81175708
The "preferably" was meant to indicate that I wouldn't sperg if something else was posted.

How does GOTG fit into all this? Are they good to read from the beginning?

>>81175629
>I could at least respect you for your boldness and brashness.
More like belongs in the trashness
>>
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/peteis4324gn7/Punisher#peteis4324gn7
>>
Dr Strange & Dr Doom: Triumph and Torment
>>
>>81174805
Okay i got a few things to suggest.

>Venom vol 2: Specifically 1-21 written by Rick Remender.
It is essentially Flash Thompson (spider-mans teenage bully and later friend) having lost his legs in the military working for the government while using the venom symbiote as essentially his tech. Its got this great theme of Flash dealing with the power (and use of legs) the suit provides with the danger it presents if used to long. Which also goes hand in hand with the characters alcoholism. Lot of folks hate this cos it isnt eddie brock venom. and though i love eddie brock venom, these are probably my fav venom stories of all time.

>Uncanny x-men volume 1: 268-281
This is the end of the claremont run on uncanny x-men. And the entirety of the run he did with artist jim lee. I mention this specific part of claremonts run because if you ever watched the 90s x-men cartoon this evokes alot of what made that show awesome. Its got an amazing cast and some kick ass stories and great Jim Lee art. Mind you you can keep on reading after this or go to earlier claremont stuff but if you want a good chunk of old but not super old x-men stuff to read. this has some good shit.

>New X-men: Xmen vol2 114-154
Written by grant morrison these and the follow up (astonishing x-men by joss whedon) are probably my all time fav X-men runs. The shit the x-men deal with as well as shit happening within the mutant world. Morrison is just on point with his stories. And Astonishing x-men is nearly as good. If you read anything i suggest it should be this

>Superior foes of spider-man
Fucking amazing and hillarious book about a group of small time spider-man villains trying to make a name for themself as a new sinister six. Its a great story about a bunch of bad guy underdogs fucking each other and everyone else over. It came and went far too quickly.

...cont
>>
>>81176631

>Daredevil volume 2
This was the beginning of the marvel knights line of books that were an attempt to bring back the company from the shithouse that was the 90s. The first arc is written by kevin smith, and after you have some good stories followed by an amazing long run by Brian Michael bendis. Besides Frank millers run these are some of the best stories in my opinion for the character of daredevil.

>Fantastic four: the mark waid run
Starting with FF vol 3 number 60 mark waid gets the comic right. With kooky science adventures and heartfelt family moments. Basically the shit every FF movie has fucked up putting forward.

>Punisher: vol 4
Written by Garth ennis this is just excellent punisher. A lot of people swear by punisher max his follow up run which is also good. But this is easily my fav. Him and steve dillon make punisher so goddamn fun to read in a genuinely cruel way.

>Dark avengers: Vol 1
I'm probably gonna get shit for this but i fucking loved this story. Norman osborn is now the head of shield (now renamed hammer) and the avengers are disbanded after a skrull infiltration kills the worlds trust in them. So norman forms his own avengers made up of bastards and monsters and lunatics and tries to stay in power, get the job done, and control these horrifying beings at the same time. It has one lame story involving asgard neither i nor anyone else seemed to like...but fuck if i didnt love the rest of it.
>>
>>81174805
You read Disassembled, House of M, and Civil War...my condolences to you on suffering those piles of shit.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.